|OT| The 2020 MetaCouncil's Addiction Log (put your finished games here!)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
#18, Voxelgram
Finished the main puzzles and got all the achievements for workshop and random puzzles. Still plenty of great workshop content left, but I'm calling it "done" for the list since the achievements are done. I'll still probably keep hopping back in every now and then knock out more of those picross conversion puzzles at least.
you're welcome :)

Reactions: ISee and Parsnip

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Done!
I spent nearly 300 hours according to my save and i'll probably keep it to hand for some Post-Game Tyrant Hunting. The sense of exploration is fantastic and once it clicked in my head again after many years the combat system was like a comfy blanket of fun. Sure, there's some issues of course but they don't really impact my enjoyment of the game. Love it.

Pizza/10

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Hey game finishers, need help.
I need guidance in gaming finishing rules that you set upon themselves to finish games. I can't seem to... finish games.
I also see there's something on this thread too what's this about?

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
37. The Evil Within 2 - Still a vast improvement on the first, more interesting locations and encounters. More forgiving and Sebastian has finally leveled up his agility, slightly. ★★★★
Hey game finishers, need help.
I need guidance in gaming finishing rules that you set upon themselves to finish games. I can't seem to... finish games.
I also see there's something on this thread too what's this about?
There aren't really any rules 2bh. For "story games" if I finish it. For GAAS game I usually go with have I done enough content to be happy with it. For more open ended games, probably have I had my fill of it?

Reactions: MegaApple

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
#19, Trials of Mana. Finished couple of days ago.
It's nice. Wished a little more budget and direction had gone into the dub, but can't have it all. The story and dialogue is certainly of its time too.

Reactions: MegaApple

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
37. Until Dawn - Decent choose your own adventure QTE-a-thon with weird dentition. Got most of the people to the end, 2 of the girls died. Jess died early on because apparently I was too slow jumping and QTE'ing and Hayden Panettiere died with seconds left in the game as I was trying to stay still to avoid a Wendigo and my arm twitched! ★★★ 1/2

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Here's an updated list of the games I've played so far this year. Completed the main story unless mentioned otherwise.

Stars are my personal rating:

* = Terrible;
** = Not Good;
*** = Good;
**** = Very Good.

Games I consider a master piece (5 stars) are in bold. Go play them!
  1. Hellheim **
  2. My Big Sister ***
  3. X-Morph Defense
  4. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (minus the final "impossible" lair) ****
  5. Slay the Spire ***
  6. Ziggurat (died a few times at the final boss) ***
  7. Night of the rabbit ***
  8. Black Paradox ***
  9. Dishonored Death of the Outsider
  10. Forged Battalion (stopped after a few missions, what a waste of time!) *
  11. Oxygen not included
  12. Stoneshard ****
  13. Train simulator 2020 (only played a few scenario's, didn't enjoy it) **
  14. Spyro Reignited (only Spyro 1) ***
  15. Eliza ****
  16. The Tiny Bang Story ***
  17. Dark Souls Remastered
  18. Little Nightmares ****
  19. The First Tree ***
  20. The Hex
  21. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
  22. Planet Coaster (stopped after a few scenario's) ***
  23. Blasphemous ****
  24. This War of Mine
  25. Everspace (died in the final battle and gave up) ****
  26. Halo Reach ***
  27. Kentucky Route Zero *
  28. Divide by Sheep ****
  29. My Friend Pedro ***
  30. Remote Life ****
  31. Besiege (stopped after 15 missions. great game but not my cup of tea) ***
  32. Masquara: Songs and Shadows
  33. Kingdom Come Deliverance ***
  34. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
  35. Truberbrook ***
  36. Halo CE ***

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ge0force ratings make more sense now since the edit! 😛

Hellheim was bad, real bad.
Haha yeah, for some reason the five stars were turned into one star ;)

And indeed, Hellheim had some promising idea's but the execution wasn't good. I wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't so short.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
1. PewDiePie: Legend of the Brofist - 7
2. MindSeize - 8
3. World of Horror - 8½
4. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - 7½
5. Heroes of Hammerwatch - 8
6. Nioh 2 - 10
7. Half-Life: Alyx - 10
8. Resident Evil 3 - 7
9. Touhou Luna Nights - 9½
10. Helltaker - 8½
11. Bright Memory - 8
12. NieR: Automata - 9
Haven't updated in a while so did it now.
Beat 13 games last year so lot more active this year.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Oh right, I beat Uncharted: The Lost Legacy as game #52 yesterday! Quite enjoyed it.

Virtual Ruminant

May 21, 2020
Damn, every once in while I think about setting up a blog to write a few lines about games I liked enough to finish. Posting in this thread instead might actually get seen by somebody other than search engine bots.

Okay, maybe not, but at least I don't have to set up a blog. Guess this will be my post.

Jan:

- Afterparty (Night School, 2019) - Modern 2.5d-point-and-click adventure.

I liked this one, even though none of the characters or any particular bit of the writing really spoke to me. Just a very nicely art-directed, charming game that doesn't overstay its welcome. And, if you're really vibing with it or come back to it years later, has branching story-lines and outcomes for some real replay-value.

Played on Game Pass.

4/5

- Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer, 2013-2020) - If this game is for you, it's probably a big deal. If it isn't, you will probably bounce off of it so hard that you will eternally wonder why it's such a big deal for others.

Looked at from the widest angle, it's a 2.5d-point-and-click adventure game. More zoomed in however, it's a very intertextual work of fiction and is jam-packed with multiple layers of references to various fields of culture including films, plays, early computer games, literature, modern art in various mediums, academic linguistics, poetry, politics, all tied into the game's quite specific setting and location.

The game has heavy, heavy emphasis on character dialog and very few puzzles, so much so that the ratio of interaction and reading reaches visual novel levels. And it is literally reading, too - no voice-overs. I have watched many-a-variety-streamer bail out of this game real quick after realizing that fact. Those who soldier on will often find that the game's incredible balancing act of being quite specific in setting, but incredibly varied in its references, just leaves them dumbstruck.

The secret to enjoying this game to me has been to follow its references outside of the game and slowly get into the creators' headspace. Doing so has literally expanded my mind - I learned about so many things and got so many new contexts to put the world into out of it. That's why I fall into the "big deal" category mentioned above.

Thing is though - I only played that quite short last episode in January. The rest of the game I played as it came out - over the course of 6 years. It's not that hard to go on a game-directed self-education adventure if you have 6 years to do so, with plenty of time between each episode to let it all sink in.

Having it all put on your plate at once - oof. This is a game that could be taken on like a book-club project. But how large is the intersection in the Venn-diagram of book-club participants and gamers?

(Very personally) 5/5

Feb:

- Last Day of June (Ovosonico, 2017) - Another modern indie take on a 3d-point-and-click. This one certainly has a striking look to it, but I found out I can't technically call it original - the whole thing is an expanded adaptation of a Jess Cope-directed music video for a song by prog-rocker Steven Wilson. And while it looks and sounds great and for long stretches is an actual game - puzzles and everything - I couldn't quite get over the overt sentimentality of the story. Little too on-the-nose.

EGS freebie.

3/5

- A Plague Tale: Innocence (Asobo Studio, 2019) - Third person stealth/action-adventure. Sets a new standard for premium-tier indie games, which now is "basically indistinguishable from AAA titles", Incredibly pleasant to look at (I took so many screenshots!) and a really smooth gameplay experience, albeit not very challenging at all and despite all the polish, it's not quite on the level of recent Uncharted and Tomb Raider titles either. Quite original scenario though, at least for a video game.

Played on Game Pass.

4/5

- GRIS (Nomada Studio, 2019) - Looks and feels like a stylized 2D-metroidvania, but: 1) You actually cannot die, 2) There are sections that look like an epic boss-battle, but again, there is no actual peril. Now this might sound very bad, but I actually loved it. The game's art-direction totally connected with me and there is an actual challenge in there, too, which is finding the secret collectibles. And looking for them was very enjoyable because of the great level design, exploring and beating the little platforming challenges/puzzles had me so captivated I completed the thing in two afternoons.

3.5/5

Mar:

- FAR - Lone Sails (Okomotive, 2018) - Amazing little indie-gem of a 2d action-adventure with a pretty unique vehicle mechanic - you pilot a steam-powered vehicle through a strangely barren and abandoned land towards an unknown destination. Lovely presentation all around (again, took a lot of sceenshots). Short game, totally playable in one long afternoon, left an impression though.

4/5

Apr:

- Broken Age (Double Fine, 2014-2015) - Not-so-modern take on a 2d-point-and-click-adventure by the point-and-click veterans from Double Fine. Largely powered by nostalgia and paid for by a record-breaking early Kickstarter campaign, this one was nice-enough-I-guess, but I'm glad I waited all these years to get it for literally four bucks in a PSN sale.

- Close to the Sun (Storm in a Teacup, 2019) - Steampunk-ish walking simulator with occasional run-away-from-the-monster action bits. Some bits look very good, some oddly generic. Great voice-acting and pretty good soundtrack. This one was pretty grating towards the end for me, but that might be because of my strong bias against all things Steampunk. A more objective problem with the game is the hilariously bad optimization, I had to put the game down to 720p in order to keep the framerate nice and smooth. On an RTX2070.

EGS freebie.

2/5

May:

- Arise - A Simple Story (Piccolo Studio, 2019) - Indie action-adventure with an interesting time-manipulation mechanic that shifts the environment. Tugged at my heart strings. Really beautiful game, great soundtrack. Some parts of it struck me as very weird though. Like, one level is sort of an extended reflection on pregnancy and it's, uh. You'll get what I mean if you ever play it.

3/5

- Observation (NoCode, 2019) - Narrative-heavy first person puzzle game, set on a stricken space station. Gameplay twist: You don't play an astronaut, you play as the station's AI and interact with the station through video camera feeds and robotic drones, which you control in first-person perspective. Liked this one a lot, I also posted about it here.

4/5

- Hob (Runic, 2017) - is a fixed-camera third person action-adventure centered around exploring the map and enhancing your wea- ok, look, it's a Zelda clone, but it replaces Nintendo's cutesy formula with completely non-verbal story-telling and puts a bit of gore on top (which you can optionally disable so your kids can play, too).

It's about as easy to get into and as addictive as Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds, but shorter by about a third. Enjoyed every minute of it, but ultimately it lacked that extra special something to make it a five.

EGS freebie.

4/5

Jun:

- OVIVO (Izhard, 2017) - Neat (and short) little monochrome platformer with cool art direction (every level is a cool piece of ink-style artwork that zooms out after you complete it to reveal the art behind the platforms) and gravity-bending mechanics. It's so tidy and tight, I would like to have said 5/5, but I feel like the music could have been a little more integral to the game (particularly since there are almost no sound fx) and it seems the main item collection achievement was never fully debugged and thus is easy to miss through no fault of your own, thus:

4/5

Jul:

- Mutazione (Die Gute Fabrik, 2019) - Puzzle-less adventure game in the vein of Oxenfree, but with the magical realism of the story slanting more towards the magical. This might be the most itch.io/tumblr-esque game I ever played and still ultimately enjoyed. Seriously, this game at one point has dialog that unironically goes "your feelings are valid" and credits a "Diversity Consultant".

But more than anything else, it's supremely chill. The art style got me in a Mediterranean vacation mood immediately, the soundtrack is so chill I've been using it as background music for naps and the only game mechanic to speak of besides running around and reading through dialog (no voice-acting in this game) is planting seeds and watching them grow. The story and characters also are fluffy as clouds that pleasantly blow past you without leaving much of an impression, but also without harshing your mellow (the game's own promotional material self-consciously and accurately describes itself as a "soap-opera").

Got it as part of a five-game-bundle for which I paid 10 bucks, so no complaints about value-for-money either - for the regular MSRP however, your mileage may vary.

3.5/5

Last edited:

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
And that's all for May:

#TitleLength (h)CommentsRating
26DOOM (2016)10¾Playing DOOM: Eternal and DOOM 64 gave me a hanking for more DOOM, and DOOM (2016) was the obvious choice. However, it became clear just how much Eternal improved on the formula, and I enjoyed myself less than I anticipated. While Eternal did get a bit kitchen-sinky, its improvements to the movement system, tighter balance, and improved controls in specific areas were sorely missed. However, I still found the more story-telling to be vastly better in 2016, with a much clearer sense of your goal and less need to consult the codex to understand what the heck is going on.★★★★
27Hatsukoi 1/138½An infamously long romance visual novel, made to feel longer by the slow moving plot and what is probably the most dense protagonist I have ever seen. Despite that there was a lot to enjoy about the game and I did not regret my time spent reading it.★★★★
28Moons of MadnessA decent to good Lovecraftian horror game. It has some neat ideas, but also suffers from going all-out too early (leaving little in the way of dreadful anticipation),from chase scenes are that rendered almost comical by the movement speed of the protagonist that barely amounts to a slow jog, and from less than enjoyable stealth segments.★★★★
29YOU and ME and HER (Totono)A visual novel with a twist. Experience with the medium is recommended, since it relies on the player having a familiarity with common visual novel tropes.★★★★
30Dying Light: The Following18¼A follow-up to Dying Light, it was about as entertaining as the original when played in co-op, meaning that most of the fun came from messing around, and the vast distances that you had to drive became something of a chore. Kabooom!★★★
31LAMUNATION -international-A comedy visual novel written by a Japanese guy obsessed with western media. While there were a lot of funny jokes, there were even more that simply fell flat. Too many gags involved a couple of characters speaking, followed up by the narrator summarizing what whacky thing then happened, something that should probably have been shown, not told, 9 times out of 10.★★☆
32Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive EditionAn incredibly pretty game that fell utterly flat for me. There was no emotional impact (except for the birbs), there was a too heavy reliance on long, check-point less segments to add challenge, and the poor differentiation (and even overlap) between foreground, background, and threats made for frequent frustration.★★★
33Dies irae ~Interview with Kaziklu Bey~6A short prequel to Dies Irae, Interview manages to capture the best parts about Dies Irae (the great presentation, the larger than life characters, and the sheer absurdity of its rule-of-cool background) while avoiding the poor pacing that plagued the original game.★★★★
34ENIGMA:A fantastic mystery visual novel that ended earlier than I would have liked, despite it fitting the theme of the game; see my comments in the book club thread for more.★★★★

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
38. Lego Indiana Jones The Original Adventures - Super Old School Lego game. Play through the first 3 movies, doesn't include that weird 4th one! Camera isn't great though. ★★★ 1/2

39. Simple Machines - There's been a dearth of short minimalist puzzle games but worry no more! Control a maze of machines to get one or more balls home. Some of the later levels require some pretty slick timing and reactions. ★★★★

40. Mafia III: DE -
I'd still be here next week if I tried to list all the bugs I encountered and 95% of the games content is driving between actual content but when it works it really works, most of the time it's a chore. ★★★

Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
41. Minecraft Dungeons - Utterly forgettable isometric ARPG. Lots of different gear and builds but without much goal or point. Difficulty is a little uneven at times and you just have to hope you get the right gear and right encounters via the RNG. ★★ 1/2

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Finished for the second time, first on PS4 and now on PC and i reckon i'll be going back in a few months for another run. Sure the game has issues but it scratched that Mass Effect itch for me. The crew are fine and even the ones i wasn't keen on grow on me throuugh the game with some having some great lines in both cutscenes and their interactions in the Nomad. Combat is fun and has plenty of leeway to mess about with different styles. The music has it's moments and the rest is fine. I thought the story was interesting and kept me going, i liked that it let me do things at my own pace and put things off until i was ready for them which i always appreciate even if it does break some people's sense of Epicness and urgency. If i want to go exploring let me explore, dammit.

It was always going to be divisive having to follow on from a trilogy that many had become intimitely familiar with over 10 years leading to high expectations and it's troubled development and launch state didn't help but i didn't hit any game breaking bugs and the odd animation glitch didn't bother me. Definitely released too early and although the patches have solved most issues there's still some bits of polishing that could have been done.

I really enjoy it and look for ward to the next Mass Effect even if it isn't Andromeda or Ryder. (... but i hope they do return, FemRyder and Peebs need to go explorefighting ). There's plenty of stories to tell in that universe. Bring 'em.
Maybe i'll romance Suvi in my next run? As Vetra says, she has a voice to die for.

Update:
BOOM! Two in one day? i'm on a roll!

Sea of Solitude
First thing, the game can be a bit clunky at times when you're trying to work out how to achieve what you need to do but there's no penalty for failing so it doesn't interfere too much. There's a couple of stages to each area and sometimes you have to advance the narrative in order to give you the freedom to go exploring for the two types of collectables but it's easy to work out when you need to do that so no problem.

The artstyle is simple but gorgeous with a great use of different palettes for different moods and atmospheres, very nice. Now the meat of the game is in it's narrative and the story it has to tell. It's a story of inner thoughts, relationships and understanding told through the eyes of a young woman, don't want to say more as it unfolds wthin the game and that keeps you interested and compelled to continue. I got the impression that the design and pacing had a lot of thought put into it and even the parts i felt were being drawn out had a purpose and didn't actually linger too long after all. The unfolding events are quite dark at times but there's always something to lift it back up. The difference in an area and mood when you bring the sunshine is a welcome release and feels like a reward.

It took me about 4 hours to finish but i did miss some of the collectables but they don't seem to do anything but give some backstory or thoughts or just some extra life to the exploring. I'm not sure if "enjoyed" is the right word but i'm glad i finished it and some parts were close to the bone i'll be thinking of them for a few days.

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
42. Saint's Row 3 Remastered - Borrowed a copy off a friend that bought it for some reason on PS4. It's Saint's Row, same as always with slightly better graphics. ★★★

43. Lithium City
- An aesthetically pleasing twin-stick/beat 'em up set in a glass-like neon soaked cyberpunk city. Fast, furious, spectacular and at time demanding, this game will stay with you long past the final boss. ★★★★ 1/2

44. The Last of Us Part II
- A stunningly designed world, great characters and a sad tale of vengeance over everything else. A bit drawn out in places and some of the levels appear to be designed to show off level design rather than reality but it's fantastic none the less. ★★★★ 1/2

45. Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition
- Silly fun and the scoring mechanic rewards creativity. The world is a little bit samey but the set pieces are great. ★★★★

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Void Bastards - Great look to a comic art (2000AD?) inspired FPS Rogue-like. Pretty short if you don't amble around the map and all the game mechanics are designed to push you towards get it, get stuff, get out, move on. Death can sometimes be helpful as your next avatar might have some helpful traits and you learn pretty quickly not to care too much about your current toon. Good in small doses as i did find the repetetive loop a bit wearing after a while but i alwats came back to it for another few ship runs after a day or so.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Game #22 done, XCOM: Chimera Squad.

It's kind of neat, but a little buggy. As is tradition at this point in the Firaxis XCOM games I guess. The turn order change actually changes the game quite a bit and makes it a fresh spin on the XCOM formula. Though I still prefer the traditional turn order.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
June is over and I didn't manage to finish much other than the book club VN. I did try hard to finish Yukikoi Melt as well, but the last routes nearly killed me. You can look forward to my raging about that VN next month.

#TitleLength (h)CommentsRating
35Blood: Fresh Supply10½Edgy the shooter. While I had pretty much experienced all the game had to offer after the first hour or two, the game remained decently entertaining all the way through.★★★★
36Helltaker2A free and light puzzle-game with funny writing, great music, and pancakes.★★★★★
37G-Senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String21A fantastic read, my enjoyment of which was only dampened by a twist that felt contrary to earlier parts of the story. See the book club thread for more.★★★★★
38DUSKDUSK ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Movement was great, but both enemies and weapons felt rather lackluster, and the many parts of the game in which you had to grope around in the dark with a shitty flashlight just felt annoying (with a couple of exceptions that did manage to spook).★★★

Reactions: Panda Pedinte