Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Ascheroth

Writing in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've just read through the available chapters of Summer Time Rendering on MangaPlus and I can really recommend it.
It's a great suspense action thriller with supernatural elements and some romance. Still ongoing, currently 80 chapters. It could be that we're nearing the end, but it's hard to tell right now :)

It's legally free to read here.
After his parents died, Shinpei was taken in by the Kofune family. One day, he returns to his island hometown to attend the funeral of his foster sister, Ushio. Everything should’ve ended there, and yet Shinpei is told that Ushio’s death wasn’t an accident, but a murder.

Also note there's some nudity, so I wouldn't recommend reading it in public places.

Reactions: Kvik and Tizoc

Jkm23

A Gamer posting from the brig
Jul 12, 2019
when does Saga come back?..........i miss saga :pensive-face:
We all do :(

Paper girls is pretty good and its got trades available at a lot of libraries.

Also Bad Gateway was.... it felt like it dropped off right at the wrong and right time. I can't wait for Megg's Coven.

Reactions: BoosterDuck

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I'm currently in the UK and we we're just visiting the british museum in London when we found out that there's a manga exhibition currently held.

I know jack shit about manga's but I figured you guys might find it interesting anyways.
To my surprise there were a lot of elderly looking people attending. That's probably due to free entrance for British Museum members (can't really imagine they paid 20 pounds just to see manga).

The musuem displayed art for the most popular manga's but also had a lot of more unkown history pieces. I wish it wasn't so crowded so I could have spent more time reading all the little tidbits about the art and the creators.

At least I managed to take some pics.

They also had a big Titan head.

Me standing beside it for scale:
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
Uncompressed Abload Gallery

Last edited:

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I'm currently in the UK and we we're just visiting the british museum in London when we found out that there's a manga exhibition currently held.

I know jack shit about manga's but I figured you guys might find it interesting anyways.
To my surprise there were a lot of elderly looking people attending. That's probably due to free entrance for British Museum members (can't really imagine they paid 20 pounds just to see manga).

The musuem displayed art for the most popular manga's but also had a lot of more unkown history pieces. I wish it wasn't so crowded so I could have spent more time reading all the little tidbits about the art and the creators.

At least I managed to take some pics.

They also had a big Titan head.

Me standing beside it for scale:
[Hidden content]

Uncompressed Abload Gallery
Thank you for sharing this. I've never been to a museum exhibit for this wonderful medium of graphic novels/comics/manga so I'm a bit jelly atm. Was tempted to downvote out of jelliness but turns out that I can't do that. :face-savouring-delicious-food:

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
I may call myself a gamer (mostly as a fuck you to people who play video games but try to act superior and are too fucking weak to not care about getting DP but that's another ball of wax) but really, its just one thing amongst many for me.

Case in point; I played a couple of hours of games but spent over four hours last weekend reading "COMIC BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Long story short, the world and plot were fantastic, as I expected. However, having read a few Neil Gainman novels, I know that best version of this tale is in print only. Graphic novel adaptations as whole are extremely hit and miss for me. 95% of the time, the original medium of a story or series is its natural habitat. (Yes I know Neverwhere was a BBC mini series but I haven't seen it in more than ten years) The artwork was competent, with a few highlights. Not the respective artists best work.

Wow. Top ten graphic novel of my year and will probably be within the top five.
For the mid 1980s, the artwork, storylines, and depth of the series is a bit mind blowing. Chadwick blends body horror, science fiction, political commentary, ruminations on celebrity and fame, heroism, selfishness and selflessness into every loosely connected tale, even if he only had five pages to work with. I'm already planning on seeking out as much of this as I can find.

I'm currently planning on starting the GN adaptation of The Alchemist.

(I never learn my lesson about GN adaptations of popular movies/books/tv shows do I?)

Reactions: Tizoc and Li Kao

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Berserk ch. 359

It's been so long, but it's finally here, short haired casca is back. It's sad that she's getting PTSD just from seeing Guts or remembering what happened at the eclipse, guess we still have a long way to go for full recovery

Reactions: Tizoc

Swenhir

Apr 18, 2019
Berserk ch. 359

It's been so long, but it's finally here, short haired casca is back. It's sad that she's getting PTSD just from seeing Guts or remembering what happened at the eclipse, guess we still have a long way to go for full recovery
This chapter was awesome. That sense of uneasiness at the beginning, the heartwarming things to facing the reality of the consequences for her. At the beginning I thought her healing happened off-screen... But this is Berserk. No such thing as an easy way out.

Reactions: Tizoc and fsdood

Dandy

Toxic Old Kween
Apr 17, 2019
I buy comics every month but never read them,(like videogames!) but yesterday I finally managed to read a few.

I read the first 2 issues of both Powers of X and House of X. I'm not totally up-to-date on the X-men(I sort of gave up around the time of the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier), so I was surprised to see lots of formerly dead people were now alive... Ok, well not really surprised, cause comics. Anyway, it was super interesting stuff so I think I will stick with it. Once this ends, which X-books will be interconnected? I plan on picking up X-men by Hickman, but will I need to also get New Mutants by Hickman in order to know what is going on? What about the other upcoming, non-Hickman X-books? What always ultimately drives me away from superhero books is having to read multiple titles. A stupid event will pop up and you either have to start buying an assload of books you don't care about, or just stop reading the ones you like.

I also caught up on Invisible Kingdom by G. Willow Wilson. The art is gorgeous, and the world was interesting... But I think the first arc was enough for me, as the actual plot is just not that compelling.

Now I'm going to see if I can re-read Paper Girls. I think I was up to issue 15-20, but things were a bit bonkers so I need to start from the beginning and just read all 30 issues.

Jkm23

Jul 12, 2019
Visited the library

Got a bunch of stuff to read, all of which I will finished

Immortal Hulk

Superhero comics are not usually my "thing", so to say. I know that that's a bit off kilter, considering the medium. I have read civil war, injustice, death of superman, a number of xmen comics, old man logan but mostly I play in other fields. I rented this from the library purely on the suggestion of this thread. Decent, not astounding, artwork, supported by a story that isn't afraid to finally detail the horror of the life of bruce banner. If you heart horror and heroes, read it.

My Favorite Thing is Monsters

This is a monster of book, it has to be at least two hundred pages. Oh, did I mention its two hundred pages of dense, free flowing, complex and gorgeous artwork? With writing to match? This is the kind of graphic novel that you give a friend to read and they'll come back two weeks later to thank you after a trip to the comic book store. Its an astounding achievement, hands down the best I've read this year and I'm only halfway through. You've got original "pulp horror' covers, recreations of classic paintings, portraits, dreamscapes, landscapes, close ups, still life pieces, black and white and full color, artwork that spans pages and writing that you need to turn the book around and around to read. Its a trip.

Let it be known, I'm only 10 pages in. I've earmarked this for reading today, as the other books I've got don't travel well with me to work. Clowes is famous for a reason and I had a pick of different works of his to read after my recent library trip. I choose this because it appeared to be the earliest work of his that the library had and I'm a sucker for 80s and 90s books that broke the "comics books are for children" barrier wide open to the masses.

Kate Beaton will make you ugly laugh, alone. It helps you're in the known regarding classic English literature and history with some of her material but her off the cuff and riffs on modern popular culture are just as good as her portrayal of 1880s newspaper comics decrying the rise of women riding bicycles.

Libraries are amazing, support your local library.

Dandy

Toxic Old Kween
Apr 17, 2019
Started my catch-up of Paper Girls today. Re-read 1-10. That's as far as I got back when it started, though I own all 30 issues. I'm liking it a lot more binge-reading it - I feel a lot less lost than I did before. I mean, it's still bonkers, but I know who everyone is.

Ascheroth

Writing in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
It's that time where new mangas are starting in jump. You can check them out legally for free either on Mangaplus or VIZ.

Last week we had Mission: Yozakura Family

VIZ
Mangaplus
It looks like it's a spy romance action comedy thingy and I quite like it so far. Fingers crossed.

And today #2 started: Mitama Security: Spirit Busters

VIZ
Mangaplus
A supernaturaly comedy with some action. Didn't really like the first chapter that much though..

Not sure if there's a third new series coming.

Reactions: MJunioR and Li Kao

Dandy

Toxic Old Kween
Apr 17, 2019
Well, that's that! I decided to just keep going until I was done. Overall, I liked it. I liked how it ended, and the covers just get better and better as the series goes on.

Reactions: Jkm23 and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Read two of the new Shonen Jump first issues yesterday, those of Yozakura and Mitama.
Damn, it was bad.
I’m honestly not saying this to troll eventual fans, and I really wanted to like them.

Well anyways, Yozakura has some vague charm, I liked its zany characters design. Vague. Charm.
In the case of Mitama you can almost picture the author trying not to laugh at their own jokes while you read. The issue being that, unfortunately, it must only be funny in their head. Maybe it will get better, for the time being its a crime against trees to print such nothingness.

In other matters, I will maybe force myself to read some comic books. I loooove comics but my ocd makes choosing what to read in the sea of releases a living hell.
And something new to me, as I try to read to much books, I can never remember what the last issue was about. It’s killing my will to read.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018

Read The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited! yesterday. I really liked it, it was much better than the first graphic novel.