Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yup, 2000 AD has a store and an app, at least on ios. It's kinda shitty UI wise but it does the job.
And browsing the store I'm like a kid in a candy shop.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
Dan Slott's Ironman is rather cool.
However having not read any Ironman in for near 5 or so years I am mind blown of some stuff that seem needlessly done to Tony
1- Turns out Howard and Maria Stark are his adoptive parents, his biological parents are Jude and Amanda Armstrong
2- Recently, Tony and Rhodey's bodies were disintegrated, but Tony made 'back ups' of themselves and reconstructed their bodies from these back ups
3- Arno Stark is the official biological son of the Starks and is an MD House wannabe :V

Some of this stuff is just plain down right

...but thankfully the current series has some fun vibes to it and starting out with THAT advesary was a neat move, although I don't think too fondly of the name of its countermeasure :V

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Pattinson as Batman is an interesting choice from Reeves. He's a good actor, but I'm not entirely sure he can pull off the role that demands this much physicality. Then again, Jackman wasn't an obvious choice for Wolverine and now he's a definitive interpretation of the character.

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
I gotta go throw House of X and Powers of X variant covers on my list at my local shop. I didn't realize there was a Joe Mad one (though it is pretty tame as far as MAD work goes). I am hopeful. As an 80s/90s kid... I grew up on Claremont Era X-Men and it was where I started really getting hooked. Jim Lee's covers later on only cemented it. Was downhill for a while after that though, with only a few standout arcs and books in the X universe.

I am really hoping Hickman does something to truly make me feel like I am reading old school Claremont Uncannys again. We shall see!

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
I ain't reading Hickman's X-Men til the trades are out. I am 50-50 about Hickman but I won't deny that he'll deliver a whack story.

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
Oh I hear ya on the skepticism part. If it weren't something I was particularly excited for I would do the same. I've been further and further removed from day and date comics over the last few years for sure. My pull box has largely been taken over by comics my daughter reads these days.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Incredible, just incredible. I just finished New Challengers and I can safely say I hated every second of it after the first issue. Snyder put words on paper alright, no matter how tired they sound. And boy does he doesn’t stop for a second to ask himself if a plot device isn’t too much on the easy way out side of things.
A flaming trash fire I should have seen coming with Metal, but it looked good, and that I fear is repeating in JL. Snyder loves words, he loves concepts, they don’t make sense but who cares.
Snyder is the human equivalent of an hyperbole, impressive at first, hollow upon further inspection.

Reactions: Tizoc
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
Well that is....something.
I still plan on reading his jl run to rate it myself.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, sorry for the rant. I was still too annoyed to articulate a calmer post and as I admittedly didn’t read a good chunk of Snyder’s work, I can imagine the man is more than that. I still want to read Severed among others.

It’s just that Metal wasn’t so good as to warrant another helping every few months. And if Metal / New Challengers / JL are to be believed, his works seem a little too convoluted for the sake of it and ultimately often idiotic and hollow.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
No need to apolofize
Ive had my qualms with Snyder's work as early as his batman run.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Eh, I actually liked Metal, while the resolution to the Barbatos thing wasn't entirely satisfying imo the road there is worth it and Batman Who Laughs is one of the better new characters in DC.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't catch up to The Batman Who Laughs yet :drinking-blob:
It wasn't a bad issue of Metal. And for what it's worth I didn't literally hate Metal, I have difficulties putting things into words here.

Convoluted for sure. Based on relatively idiotic elements too, I mean just the Bat tribe... Then there is the Morrison issue that was so out there that it gave me the feeling I missed half the series. Maybe spread too thin for its own good ? The villains spin-offs weren't great at all.
But meh, if Snyder and DC didn't want to give me another helping of it every other month, I wouldn't really remember it that badly. Just, please can we pass to something else ?

BTW, how to put things, let's say I appreciate that everybody has his own tastes, when I shit on Snyder, I really really don't want to disrespect anyone.

On a related topic, what did you guys think about the New Age of Heroes line ?
I'm pretty OCD unfortunately when it comes to reading a lot of comics, but I thought about it the other day and noticed that I dropped a LOT of titles in there. It's cool though, it gave us 'The Terrifics'. Line redeemed.

Edit -
What are you reading people ? Feed this topic, your opinion is interesting, I like it here.
I mean it's not "Metal [OT] - Li Kao didn't tell us how he really feel"
:smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
BTW, how to put things, let's say I appreciate that everybody has his own tastes, when I shit on Snyder, I really really don't want to disrespect anyone.
No offense taken mate, I mean, I can't stand Grant Morrison and his gigantomania, making everything either as big and shiny as possible or as weird and incomprehensible as possible, and that's definitely isn't majority opinion either :)

Snyder's writing is just closer to things I like (his Batman stuff anyway). I'm more appreciative of relatively low key stuff.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
I am re reading morrison's seven soldiers of victory. Still holds up and altho i am still esrly in it, i always enjoy reading Frankenstein's arc.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, about Morisson, my position is not that far off Rosenkrantz's. We disagree but not by much. I love and respect Morrison talent, and he is a blast to read... when he is a little restrained. In full creativity mode, yeah, no.
Eg. Seaman

Not having read the entirety of Seven Soldiers or even Multiversity at all is one of my comic book regrets.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Vile Enabler
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
Da fug
Seaman is good stuff even if he never continued with a 3rd series @o@

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Never read the second one. And I will gladly admit that it's nice looking. I also will admit I remember not understanding the slightest bit of it :sweaty-blob: