Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The new Retroarch plays GBA games without hick ups or sound issues on my Vita. Now I can finally play the Castlevania and Advance Wars again.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone getting issues with Saturn (Beetle core) after updating? I get an "Uncorrectable data at sector 0" error in every single Saturn game now and they don't go past the boot up Saturn logo screen. Goggling pins the common cause being a mismatch between the file names and the files specified in the cue file, but I rename all my games to my own naming system and make sure to have the .cue file match up so, that's not it, I double checked, it's all good. I dunno what else to try. Dreamcast (Flycast), N64 (ParaLLEl), Arcade (FBN), PlayStation (Beetle HW) all remain fully functional so.
It works again after core updates so I guess they fudged something up previously. Yay :)

OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
The new Retroarch plays GBA games without hick ups or sound issues on my Vita. Now I can finally play the Castlevania and Advance Wars again.
Vita has really been coming into its own with homebrew over the last year. I can't wait to see if the whole native res PSP games thing bears fruit.

Reactions: Ge0force

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Vita has really been coming into its own with homebrew over the last year. I can't wait to see if the whole native res PSP games thing bears fruit.
Has Snes emulation on Vita been worked on ? How is it ?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
But who'd want to play emulated SNES/GBA games on a Vita?
Weird resolution, so you either have bilinear filtering 🤢 or huge borders.
GPU too week for shaders.
Pitiful battery life while overclocking (which is needed for more requiring game).

Gimme N3DS with Mugen Battery or just give me PC.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Does anyone have any advise on how to remove the upscaling artifact on the dialogue text of Shadow Hearts?

(In PCSX2 nightly build v1.7.0-dev-54-g3c65ddf72)

The black lines didn't show up in software mode, but I can't get rid of it in DX11 renderer, even with the "Align Sprites" hack.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hasn't the DX11 renderer kind of fallen by the wayside and ogl is generally recommended?

Unless it's needed specifically for this game.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
In the past I had issues with OGL renderer since it won't play nice with Steam Overlay + ReShade on my rig, for some reason. Although to be honest I haven't tried Shadow Hearts with OGL renderer yet. I noticed with the DX11 renderer the frametime graph was looking rather flat already even with 2880p internal resolution scaling, so I just run with it.

I'll give the OGL renderer a go over the weekend to see if I can get rid of the artifacts.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I haven't really followed the PCSX2 dev super closely lately, but the impression I have is that the OGL renderer is more accurate these days so definitely give it a shot at least. :dmcblob:

Reactions: Kvik

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

My remaps and stuff for all cores are fucked after updating, idk if I did something wrong. Flycast won't launch content, most inputs don't work except keyboard.

Had to do a clean set up, only kept my playlist files and saves and I'm not entirely sure but I think my Beetle Saturn saves don't work, I had to redo VF2 settings.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
How's Yuzu performance has been these days?
Last I heard, it was quite spotty.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Uh, what could this '1' file without '.xxx' in my PCSX2 rep be ?

I was wondering why Drakengard crashed during the ending credits, and saw that
1/ my drive was full
2/ there is a 43gb '1' file in PCSX2

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Found this interesting. Gotta admit, as someone whose not in the engineering/compsci, I was wishing GPU resources would be used to alleviate workload. This makes a lot of sense.

OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019

More RPCS3 stuff about a recent change that has fixed graphical issues in a bunch of games.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Found this interesting. Gotta admit, as someone whose not in the engineering/compsci, I was wishing GPU resources would be used to alleviate workload. This makes a lot of sense.
He is of course completely right, and that whole GPU "core" thing is always one of the first things I explain in my GPU computing lectures. Calling ALUs "cores" is a bit like calling CPUs "PCs". Annoying nomenclature.

Reactions: freshVeggie

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Also BSOD's rig is high-end, isn't it? 5Ghz 9900K or something.
Not really, but still not every mere mortal has this kind of rig
i7 8700k @4.7Ghz 16gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM GTX 1080ti 11gb 256gb NVME M.2 SSD

Reactions: Kvik

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
This is all based on the vulkan improvements they added a couple of weeks ago, right?

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Maybe I'm late to the party but just found out about this pretty cool fan remaster. Widescreen support, and it runs 144fps (at least according to afterburner) and gsync without any problems, Some visual and minor gameplay tweaks (that can be disabled). In game achievements.

Too bad the Christian Whitehead version of Sonic 1 and 2 never came to PC.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Between the MAD instruction fixes and some format conversion fixes a few day ago, over the recent ~2 weeks or so literally dozens of the remaining rendering issues (some very long-standing) in RPCS3 have been fixed. So if you had a really obscure PS3 favourite that didn't render quite right, now may be the time to try again.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Can anybody find the setting where all connected controllers can control/access the menu? I can't find it in this version. Also I had to manually edit the config file to enable the shader setting to true instead of false, otherwise regardless of the presets/global/whatever I set every game started with shaders to off.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Got tired of waiting for SEGA to bring Virtua Fighter to PC already. First attempt to use RPCS3 and 5 FS seems nearly flawless with barely any settings fiddling.

Seems like acquiring the proper/last/updated version of games and what not might be the toughest part of this deal but I don't want many PS3 games tbh.

Last edited:

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Got tired of waiting for SEGA to bring Virtua Fighter to PC already. First attempt to use RPCS3 and 5 FS seems nearly flawless with barely any settings fiddling.
What your pc config? Maybe i will try SH Downpour again, last time it performed pretty poorly, too much stuttering on my i5-3570 with some framedrops to 20 fps..
PS - some nice floor reflections without raytracing in VF 😛

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Aging i7 3770K and GTX1080. I tried Ninja Gaiden Sigma and that gets frame drops here and there, not too much (but I dunno if it was flawless on a PS3 either).

Reactions: KainXVIII

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
UPD - nope, Silent Hill D now works even worse than before, can't hit 30 fps in the menus lol.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Is MGS 4 playable in good conditions ?

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Happy to report that Outrun 2 is virtually flawless with proper settings now, which is wild to me. RPCS3 is amazing.

(not my video but I used it as a settings guide)

It is fantastic to be able to play the handful of last gen console exclusives - like Scott Pilgrim, I haven't plugged in my PS3 in years.

But it seems like Tokyo Jungle and Gomi Bako need a lot more time in the oven.

Meanwhile on Dreamcast I've been playing Redream, which is sadly closed source, but it's slightly better than Demul!

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Try flycast in RA, the only real issue I've noticed is Sega Rally 2 doesn't get texture filtering no matter what but meh, don't wanna play that shoddy port anyway.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Also that feel when I realize PS3 is as old now as NES was when I first fired up a NES emulator...

Try flycast in RA, the only real issue I've noticed is Sega Rally 2 doesn't get texture filtering no matter what but meh, don't wanna play that shoddy port anyway.
Yeah it's a bad port but also I completed that whole 10 year season mode in the day so it fires my nostalgia bone...

I'll give that a shot some time.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ryujinx (one of the 2 Switch emulators in development) now has a really good resolution scaling option:

• Eyes
Reactions: lashman and xinek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Can anyone with some better understanding of CS explain what kind of magic this is?

I have a dual monitor setup, vert 144 Hz Gsync and hori 60 Hz non-Gsync. I have Retroarch setup to support VRR and when I play, say, Raiden Fighters Jet on primary display, it changes the refresh rate on my Gsync screen to 53 Hz, gameplay is smooth, etc.

Just for a lark, I tried playing it on the non-Gsync one, and it also outputs at 53 Hz (according to Retroarch OSD info), I don't see any tearing and the background scrolling is smooth.

Any idea why is this even working? By all accounts it shouldn't work. Is this Windows Compositor doing some black magic? Is this just something that seems to work, but comes at expense of severe input lag or something else? Are my old man eyes not seeing the tearing when it's vertical? Or is my computer just cursed? :blobxorcism: