Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
solve red forest bug in hardware mode.
It has been years since I played VP2, but isn't the forest supposed to be red, and that plugin is just for skipping the rendering of the effect?

As for the slowdown problem, maybe try using the Linux nightly build and set the Graphics > Advanced > Override Texture Barriers > Force Disabled option.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
One of the most commonly requested features has finally arrived.

Reactions: Pommes and Li Kao

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I managed to boot and play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with Yuzu mainline r1128 for an hour.

There are some graphical issues (missing post-process fx and such) and uneven framepacing here and there, but it's working quite well so far. Field models looks clean with 2K IR mod plus Yuzu's own scaling. Would be nice to get a 60fps mod, but looks like it's still in the oven.

A kind soul in the Yuzu Discord showed me how to make a cheat for Turbo mode, so fighting trash mobs are a breeze. :flare_bath:

Screenshots captured at 2160p.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Did anyone try RETROARCH NETPLAY?
I've can host the Netplay, but my room can not connect to internet.
I know it gets a bad rep, but I need something quick to play retro games with friend.

• Eyes
Reactions: Pommes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
FYI, the patch requires the Rev 1 ISO.

Can you provide a link on where to get the translation? First I have heard of this PSP game, and it does seem quite interesting.
A search on romhacking shows an old thread that's been locked a while back and claimed that no one worked on the project anymore.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Can you provide a link on where to get the translation? First I have heard of this PSP game, and it does seem quite interesting.
A search on romhacking shows an old thread that's been locked a while back and claimed that no one worked on the project anymore.
Click on the @. Brings you here.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and Mivey

sulio

Jan 10, 2022
Did anyone try RETROARCH NETPLAY?
I've can host the Netplay, but my room can not connect to internet.
I know it gets a bad rep, but I need something quick to play retro games with friend.
That is weird .. Guess that they have a lot to do in the future for NETPLAY options. .

• Sad
Reactions: MegaApple

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone else getting stuttering in Dolphin no matter what, even with ubershaders (mixed or full) the first time an asset, sound, effect, whatever loads? Exactly the kind of stutter that they were supposed to eliminate? I just switched to DirectX12 instead of Vulcan and it's gone for me (though I get a crash in Twilight Princess that's not there in Vulcan). Something worth trying as it makes games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom which constantly stutter every new move etc., much nicer.

Also, I use F-Zero GX attract mode as a quick benchmark/test and to me it seems performance has degraded recently/ish? I'm fairly sure that, stutters aside, it used to be a flawless 60fps at any (sensible) internal resolution but now during certain angles in almost every track it goes in slow motion for a second, or a few.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Already a new release (actually two, there was a bugfix 1.11.1 I didn't bother posting about) and it has a pretty big addition some will probably find pretty useful.
There is now an entirely new way to display and organize content – Views!

You can turn a filter set in the Explore menu into a so called “View” file which then gets listed alongside playlists. This also adds the ability to filter a category by range in the Explore menu and not just filter on exact matches.

The views are saved into .lvw (libretro view) files that just like playlist .lpl (libretro playlist) files are in JSON format and are stored in the same playlists directory.
Here’s some examples of views that are now possible with the new range filtering:
  1. Games made between 1992 and 1996 by developers Capcom and Capcom Production Studio 1
  2. Games supporting 5 to 8 players
  3. Games containing “Mario” in the title released between 1988 and 1994
These are just examples of what is possible with this system. It’s a pretty powerful system, we hope this gives you a lot of flexibility to better organize your content.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Reached the PSO (DC v2) last boss (I think?) for the first time. But I'll leave the game alone for a bit, I probably need to grind as it basically one shot me. Oh well.

Edit: aaaand I just killed it. Wow, talk about anti climatic, I would have been so pissed if I had labored to finish the game back in the day. This is bullshit SEGA!🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone else getting stuttering in Dolphin no matter what, even with ubershaders (mixed or full) the first time an asset, sound, effect, whatever loads? Exactly the kind of stutter that they were supposed to eliminate? I just switched to DirectX12 instead of Vulcan and it's gone for me (though I get a crash in Twilight Princess that's not there in Vulcan). Something worth trying as it makes games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom which constantly stutter every new move etc., much nicer.

Also, I use F-Zero GX attract mode as a quick benchmark/test and to me it seems performance has degraded recently/ish? I'm fairly sure that, stutters aside, it used to be a flawless 60fps at any (sensible) internal resolution but now during certain angles in almost every track it goes in slow motion for a second, or a few.
Idk if it's a fluke or not and if the issue will return for me but for now, between new Nvidia drivers, tweaking of settings and the latest Dolphin update claiming improved multithreading in Vulkan I no longer get this and F-Zero GX also seems to run perfectly fine 99.999% of the time, at least in the tracks seen so far.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I missed the Sega Saturn Grandia translation is now considered final. And the Drift King '97 translation too (fixing the issue of the logo hiding the FMV subs).
I also missed that Retro-Bit's Saturn-but-with-dual-analog controllers are still going to be a thing, though the design has changed. I'm still pissed at them🖕

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

sulio

Jan 10, 2022

Dolphin is only emu where you got stuttering with Vulcan ? I am using dx12 for graphic in 99% ..

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Dolphin is only emu where you got stuttering with Vulcan ? I am using dx12 for graphic in 99% ..
Yep, just Dolphin. I defaulted to Vulkan in others, all retroarch cores and everything with no issues and usually best performance/visuals. It's solved in Dolphin as well now, for me. I mostly emulate up to DC/PS2/GC & Wii nowadays, haven't tried Switch/PS3/etc. in a while. I'm sure the best api varies by the developers.

sulio

Jan 10, 2022
Yep, just Dolphin. I defaulted to Vulkan in others, all retroarch cores and everything with no issues and usually best performance/visuals. It's solved in Dolphin as well now, for me. I mostly emulate up to DC/PS2/GC & Wii nowadays, haven't tried Switch/PS3/etc. in a while. I'm sure the best api varies by the developers.
Last time I tried PS3 .. there was some sound problem in games.. But I hope that will be fixed in the nearest future. And about Switch ..Well most games can be played with some minor graphic issue ..

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Question.

I switched to trying PS2 and GC/Wii in windowed mode. Native resolution for authenticity. ~2x window size because 1x is too small (extreme jaggies and all). Now. These machines were largely 4:3 with most games supporting that mode, yes (Wii was fine in 16:9 too)? I understand games could render in any random or unconventional native resolutions to suit their needs/performance being it didn't matter so much on CRT. But they'd still expect the final image to scale/stretch to fit an actual 4:3 ratio, yes? Unless they actually rendered black bars to fill up to 4:3 while having the game screen at a different ratio. Right..? Since they weren't made for TVs that would reliably automatically detect and display the correct resolution or give the user options to letterbox, aspect ratio, or fill the screen. Yes?

So, why when I set said 2x size window to ~1280x960, which as far as I've googled is the proper 4:3 ratio, do random games end up with different size black bars even when forcing the 4:3 aspect on them? Does Dolphin force 4:3 wrong and instead force native resolution ratios which may differ? Should I set stretch fit the image or will that actually lead to distortion of the visual content because Dolphin is right to add the black bars instead? I don't get it. Look at these, the black bars even differ (and they aren't rendered by the games, hence no bars when stretching to fit). What's the correct display, it's nuts...

Or is it that nobody cared for the correct proportions back then so I'm gonna have to take a look at this setting per game since some will have been made with expecting the stretching so the pixels aren't 1:1 ratio but things that should be round are and if I force them to 1:1 pixel ratio they no longer are, and other games will do the opposite only being made with 1:1 pixel ratio so things meant to be round weren't back then on the TV? And only a few games actually paid attention to this in order to both be in 4:3 and in 1:1 pixel ratio to look proper without black bars or anything (like Capcom's Gundam vs. on PS2 seems to be, possibly because it was a Dreamcast - or rather Atomiswave - game prior and it seems that most if not all DC games were proper 4:3 so I haven't noticed this)?

Obviously this matter persists in fullscreen mode but since they all have black bars by default on a widescreen monitor, I noticed when making the window 4:3. Now that I go back to RetroArch it's similar on older systems too, different games scale differently, though again Dreamcast seems a full 4:3 by default, Genesis and SNES seem a few pixels off vertically, N64 seems to letterbox most games with black bars on all four sides, I dunno what's going on, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: sulio and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm thinking about setting up my emus again, so dumb question.

I have a c:\ (ssd )and a d:\ (ssd).
My OS is on c:\
My emu data is on d:\

Does it change anything and is it even preferable if I install the emulators themselves on d:\ ?
I don't suppose there would be any speed difference ?
And on the plus side, if I have to format my OS again, I would find everything in its place on d:\

What say you ?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Shouldn't change anything. I currently have my isos and roms on E (HDD), my emus on F (HDD), my OS on C (SSD), it works.

Also I just experienced that with Vulkan API the Flycast RA core currently has issues with some Code: Veronica effects causing massive stutters with RTT buffer ON. Water/heat distortions or certain dynamic lights. The game seems fine with RTT OFF instead, the effects are intact with no problems, but other games like THPS need it to properly render stuff like shadows. It took a while to identify that was the problematic setting as changing others made it work momentarily. Either switch to GLCore API which seems fine to me until it's fixed (for me currently DX11 or DX12 seem to have completely borked rendering in Flycast) or maybe add RTT off as per game option to Code: Veronica/X or whatever is affected. I dunno how other games/parts may be affected by the setting or API. It really sucks when problems previously solved return out of the blue and you can't even know which (frontend/core/os/gpu driver?) update did it nor can you find information cos nobody happened to try that game/part yet. There should be a new RA version soon, they said as much for last week but it's still not out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Is there a 'best' Dreamcast core for Retroarch ?
I came upon recommendations for Redream, but is the one time payment for HD rendering still a thing ?
I blame JCB and his Shoot them up posts. And was there ever a better platform for shoots than the DC ? Arcade excepted, obviously.

Deleted member 113

And was there ever a better platform for shoots than the DC ? Arcade excepted, obviously.
There was! TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine all the way. (y)😍

There's a reason when the TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine / Core Grafx mini was announced, pretty much everyone I know from the shmup community ran to pre-order one (I did as well :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:). The system had an insane library of quality shmups. Hudson even organized a series of "caravan" events, multiplayer score attack local tournaments, throughout Japan, that were insanely popular.

If you are in the mood for a long video showcasing some of the great shmup titles available for the console, here's a cool 3h+ video:

On a random side note, speaking of the same platform (and Hudson), I love Bonk, Hudson's one-time mascot, and a lovely, charming series of platformers, that sadly has been mostly forgotten.
While cleaning up my desk at work last month, I came across an envelope, from the time I won a Bonk competition.
Since Hudson is long gone, I thought I would post a photo of this decades old envelope, from the Hudson US branch, with their famous bee logo.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I had a PC Engine ! A little ashamed I didn’t think about it :pleasedblob:
I just spent my morning fiddling with emus and trying things. I’m in full nostalgia mode.

It’s really sad that the industry doesn’t do more for game preservation and that we all tend to forget about old games. What I played was great ! Obviously not that good looking, but whatever. The bigger issue would be to bear with the controls of the time. Dpad controls, tank controls, wonky camera or dodge.

But what a blast.
Are there any notable RPGs or Jump'n Runs on the TurboGrafx-16/PC-E? 🤔
Platformers ? Sure. I’m pretty sure it had a handful of notable jrpg, but in Japanese only.

Last edited:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
I had a PC Engine ! A little ashamed I didn’t think about it :pleasedblob:
I just spent my morning fiddling with emus and trying things. I’m in full nostalgia mode.

It’s really sad that the industry doesn’t do more for game preservation and that we all tend to forget about old games. What I played was great ! Obviously not that good looking, but whatever. The bigger issue would be to bear with the controls of the time. Dpad controls, tank controls, wonky camera or dodge.

But what a blast.

Plateformers ? Sure. I’m pretty sure it had a handful of notable jrpg, but in Japanese only.
Ah okay so it would be dependent on fan-translations. That's a bummer but I might see if any Platformers catch my eye, the system went entirely past me as a kid.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Is there a 'best' Dreamcast core for Retroarch ?
I came upon recommendations for Redream, but is the one time payment for HD rendering still a thing ?
Flycast. I've played around with (free) Redream, maybe it does this or that game better, I know it used to do Daytona USA better but not any more, but nowadays they're comparable if not equal I'd say. Plus Flycast also emulates Naomi and Naomi 2 as of recently, as well as Atomiswave. There's also a stand alone version of Flycast that I've seen mentioned is more up to date at one time or another but the core gets updated too, like with the recent addition of Naomi 2 emulation.

Reactions: Li Kao

Deleted member 113

Are there any notable RPGs or Jump'n Runs on the TurboGrafx-16/PC-E? 🤔
I’m pretty sure it had a handful of notable jrpg, but in Japanese only.
Actually, while the platform was most notable for shmups and arcade ports, it had plenty of interesting titles in other genres.

In terms of RPGs, dungeon crawlers, strategy games, ..., there were also several noteworthy titles.
Speaking of the ones available in English, in terms of RPGs you had things like:

-Dungeon Explorer, an action RPG that plays bit like a cross between Zelda and Gauntlet;
-Neutopia (I and II), which was basically Hudson's version of Zelda;
-Ys I & II, enhanced remakes of the first two games in the Ys series (the PC Engine helped popularize the Ys series, so much that some people think it actually started on the platform)
-Military Madness, a very fun turn-based strategy game (the Advance Wars are, to put it kindly, very "inspired" by this game)

and more.

As for platformers, action titles, ..., there was actually quite a decent number, both original titles, arcade ports, or enhanced ports from other systems.
A few random titles: the Bonk series, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Cadash, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, Bloody Wolf, Parasol Stars (sequel to Rainbow Islands, and third entry in the Bubble Bobble series), and many, many more.

Since I rather enjoy pinball games, a special note for the Alien Crush/Devil Crush games, that mix action, with pinball, and are also must plays for the system.

Oh, and Snatcher also had a version of the PC Engine (sadly, it was never translated).

---

Getting back to shmups, on my last post I linked to a video from Shmup Junkie.
He did a series of at least 5 videos about the TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine / Core Grafx mini that are well worth checking out, if you like the genre, and/or are considering buying one of these minis.
Here are the first two:

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Actually, while the platform was most notable for shmups and arcade ports, it had plenty of interesting titles in other genres.

In terms of RPGs, dungeon crawlers, strategy games, ..., there were also several noteworthy titles.
Speaking of the ones available in English, in terms of RPGs you had things like:

-Dungeon Explorer, an action RPG that plays bit like a cross between Zelda and Gauntlet;
-Neutopia (I and II), which was basically Hudson's version of Zelda;
-Ys I & II, enhanced remakes of the first two games in the Ys series (the PC Engine helped popularize the Ys series, so much that some people think it actually started on the platform)
-Military Madness, a very fun turn-based strategy game (the Advance Wars are, to put it kindly, very "inspired" by this game)

and more.

As for platformers, action titles, ..., there was actually quite a decent number, both original titles, arcade ports, or enhanced ports from other systems.
A few random titles: the Bonk series, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Cadash, New Adventure Island, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, Bloody Wolf, Parasol Stars (sequel to Rainbow Islands, and third entry in the Bubble Bobble series), and many, many more.

Since I rather enjoy pinball games, a special note for the Alien Crush/Devil Crush games, that mix action, with pinball, and are also must plays for the system.

Oh, and Snatcher also had a version of the PC Engine (sadly, it was never translated).

---

Getting back to shmups, on my last post I linked to a video from Shmup Junkie.
He did a series of at least 5 videos about the TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine / Core Grafx mini that are well worth checking out, if you like the genre, and/or are considering buying one of these minis.
Here are the first two:

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated 😊

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Reached the PSO (DC v2) last boss (I think?) for the first time. But I'll leave the game alone for a bit, I probably need to grind as it basically one shot me. Oh well.

Edit: aaaand I just killed it. Wow, talk about anti climatic, I would have been so pissed if I had labored to finish the game back in the day. This is bullshit SEGA!🤦‍♂️
That boss actually has a last phase that isn't available in normal mode, it's only available starting in hard mode. :x

On another note, there are expanded versions of the game in other platforms, the Gamecube/XBox versions (Episode 1 & 2) has additional areas, and the PC version (Blue Burst, though it doesn't have an offline mode and nowadays this version can only be played in private servers) has the Gamecube version areas plus a few new ones. so Blue Burst is the only version that has all the content that PSO has to offer.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That boss actually has a last phase that isn't available in normal mode, it's only available starting in hard mode. :x
But still no ending. That was the bullshit part. I get it being like Diablo, loading your save at the same difficulty means it's like before you went to the boss, loading a new difficulty means you start from the beginning again but keep your character as is, etc., but there should have been an ending scene or something.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
But still no ending.
Yeah, the way story is handled in the original versions of PSO pretty much only showed hints of what is going on, there's no proper story mode I guess.
Story quests were later created for the PC version (Blue Burst), but I never really tried those, dunno if those have a proper ending or how much they expand the story.

EDIT: Ah, the quests were first created for the Gamecube version, I thought they were introduced in the PC version, my bad. The PC version did add an additional story segment with the "Episode 4" areas.

EDIT2: Checking a quick video, seems like the ending for Episode 1 (the DC version final boss) is just as abrupt in these story quests. :/
Though there's also the Episode 2 and 4 story quests I guess, no idea about those.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I youtubed all of them after finishing this since I'm not likely to play them and they all end abruptly with just credits except Episode 4 where you resolve some story line with saving an NPC who was made to be a weapon or whatever so there's some chatting among NPCs about it at the end, nothing too crazy.

I guess the Universe games have more of a story...

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Yeah I youtubed all of them after finishing this since I'm not likely to play them and they all end abruptly with just credits except Episode 4 where you resolve some story line with saving an NPC who was made to be a weapon or whatever so there's some chatting among NPCs about it at the end, nothing too crazy.

I guess the Universe games have more of a story...
Yeah, though the Universe games have their own share of problems when it comes to accessing the story.
Episode 3 of the PSU story was only available in the online mode, so nowadays the only way to view it is through youtube videos, and 3 additional story arcs are exclusive to PSP games (2 of them that take place a few years after PSU and the last of them was never localized, though nowadays there's a fan made english translation for this one at least).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Anybody played Skies of Arcadia on DC and Legends on GC? I feel like draw distance goes smoother in DC in the ship overworld parts and otherwise like the textures aren't as obviously painful? That might be my CRT shader at work as I can't find any decent ones or even some basic scanlines for stand alone Dolphin though. But yeah, the draw distance may be the same or shorter on DC but when traveling with the ship stuff fade in very smoothly through a fog or whatever, when playing it on Dolphin maybe it's a side effect of crisper overall visuals or something but there's a very clear line where stuff comes in view? Or placebo 🤷‍♂️

Idk, you can compare videos but it's hard to get the exact same conditions and be sure it's a good quality upload. Info online indicates GameCube graphics are enhanced but details are limited. Major characters get defined fingers but that is far from everyone, you might as well go for consistency instead I suppose.

Going by these videos I think it's the cloud boundaries of the overworld that make it an obvious draw distance line more than anything, the objects still seem to fade in. I dunno. Many areas also have a more washed out look, like the indoor they reach past the timestamp, or actually almost any other area even. Opinions?

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If like me you just want the zip for 64bit Windows RA you can get it from the downloads page by removing the s from https after clicking to get that gets a 404.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So, either I never finished Grandia II back in the day on Dreamcast or I completely forgot what's up. I have to say it's super enjoyable and it doesn't deserve, so far, the horrible story reputation. I like it, the main story is alright, the character interactions are fun most of the time, I only thought it could be a bit better written here and there like with Ryudo's brother's introduction and what not, but whatever. Combat is fun, areas are fun to traverse/explore/get through, the visuals are super charming with a ton of attention to detail like how the party animates when you choose to stay over at an inn or similar and they have dinner and chat. I put Skies of Arcadia aside for now after merely testing Grandia II since it has such a quick, fun pace in comparison and I got surprisingly into it, I'm 20 hours in.

Flycast, native settings + lottes crt shader + AF.

Of course it helps that with emulation I can skip all easy battles with the fast forward button running the emulation at 400% or whatever but I do that in Skies too.

Edit: I just finished it. Pretty epic. I think it's as good as the first game after all. The one thing that I would change is the way you have to re-equip people's gear, skills, etc. when they fuck off your party and return later. It happens quite a bit. And some things could be better written. That's pretty much it. 10/10 game!

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I don't keep up with new emulators so, is PS4 emulation a thing ?

Looking at Persona 4 Dancing All Night right now.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Vita3k runs commercial Vita games better than any PS4 emulator runs games for that system.
looking at the list of games it supports, on GitHub, really shows how much the Steam Deck is like the Vita 2.0, Literally every game is on Steam

• Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Playing Phantasy Star IV for the first time. It's kinda hilariously bad in story.

Fun enough to play with some archaic systems (I can't seem to even be able to sort my inventory which doesn't stack items so they all show up in order of acquiring rather than by type or whatever, it's not been a problem yet with a limited number of them but, we'll see). but, even though theoretically it's a fine setting and plot, if you read a synopsis or something it's not gonna sound bad at all, the usual ancient civilization tech unearthed or discovered, new baddie trying to do something with it crap and all, but just the way it's so juvenile and simplistic about everything is funny.

Go around exploring after a mission as a hunter or whatever and it appears this Zio guy has been wreaking havok across the land, you meet a destroyed village here, another where its people have been turned to stone there. The party leader is being all greedy asking more money from this one client about every new thing encountered, that's actually a nice funny bit every so often, the last time he went all how it was gonna be his marriage funds.

But yeah it's like. You meet random character who goes:
  • My parents were killed by Zio and I want revenge take me with you (some character chimes in about how maybe it's better not to). I'm going anyway!
  • Ok dude come along!

Go in temple to rescue this scientist, turns out it's some kind of ancient lab or whatever, you find the grandpa.
  • This area seems safe, how did you ever survive this long?!
  • This person saved me!

Out pops an elf ear chick like she was hiding behind him all this time so they didn't see her.
  • WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT'S WITH THOSE EARS!
  • I'm Rika! Come talk to Seed he'll lexplain it all!

Go to next room.
  • Ok who's Seed?!
  • He's in front of you (the computer)!
  • I'm Seed! Hi, this lab and others like it are keeping your planet ecosystem and climate in check so the human race could survive past the apocalypse but it's old and malfunctioning so you better destroy it or it'll do more harm than good hence all the monsters around and you can do this by destroying this central structure that powers all such structures. But you need to rescue this android for it as only it can destroy that!
  • Where's the android?!
  • Zio has it!
  • That bastard!
  • Also take Rika with you she's my daughter made from 1000 years of improvement and evolution on the bioengineering systems or whatever and she'll help!
  • Awesome, we'll take her!

Go back out that place. Seed self destructs the whole place mumbling about now knowing Rika will complete the task.
  • Rika you have to look ahead and fulfill Seed's wish!
  • Ok!

Just funny as heck how simplistic every dialogue and everything is like children wrote it. I wonder if it's the same in Japanese. This seems like one of those, it's only a famous series because it was made by Sega and they didn't have anything else to compete against Final Fantasy with so it has to do.

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Just funny as heck how simplistic every dialogue and everything is like children wrote it. I wonder if it's the same in Japanese.
If I'm not mistaken, there are fan made retranslations for all 4 old Phantasy Star games, though I have no idea how good or bad the original translations and the fan retranslations are, I never played these 4.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Cries in Soul Sacrifice Delta and Muramasa.
Vanillaware is one the few holdouts from making PC ports of their older games, that's true. But that shows how important the PC market has become even in Japan, when it's just the few odd companies that don't target the platform as well.

Reactions: C-Dub