Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Also a small Alyx patch already. Yay, smooth turning and stuff:
  • Improved turning options in Preferences:
    • Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
    • Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
    • Added option to disable controller turning.
  • Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
  • Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
  • Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
  • Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
  • Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
  • Fixed several crashes.
Also, damn:
I just got past the part with the blind enemy, what a finely crafted adventure this is, though I believe it bugged for me while messing around throwing bottles all over the place as it was NOT roaming the cramped area with the battery cell behind the crank powered gate so I got off easy there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So apparently according to Twitter, Paper Beast (released on PSVR yesterday) is a timed exclusive, so it will release on PCVR at some point.

Still waiting for Ghost Giant and Ace Combat 7 VR missions, no idea why they aren't on PCVR yet. AC7 VR missions timed exclusivity ended in january.

C-Dub

Someone
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com
Still waiting for Ghost Giant and Ace Combat 7 VR missions, no idea why they aren't on PCVR yet. AC7 VR missions timed exclusivity ended in january.
Same reason we never got RE7 on PCVR: it was released so long ago and now the developer isn't going back to it.

Timed exclusive VR modes are a hex, because they are de facto exclusives in the end.

Reactions: low-G and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It just looks like just another WMR kit, that initiative failed for a reason, unknown degree and point of the Valve collaboration some choose to focus on or not. It seems to sport the same 2 front cameras and no lighthouse trackers on the HMD. A good successor to the Samsung Odyssey would be nice indeed but only if it costs way less (just like Odyssey now that it's discounted to hell and back, it certainly wouldn't be a good competitor when its launch price was inbetween Oculus and Index levels, hence the 50% discounts they soon did and continued to increase) than Oculus which has superior tracking range and quality yet this appears to be aiming to be a premium expensive product rather than something to fit in the budget category that even Rift S is a bit above. With Microsoft seemingly abandoning WMR and sticking with the old tracking/controller standards such products aren't going to be very interesting no matter what cool display or audio technology varied manufacturers add. If it's not actually WMR based then there's no reason to collaborate with Microsoft at all. Maybe they've somehow worked on some hybrid implementation that means they use WMR inside out tracking yet the superior controller technology/form factor of the Index with compatibility modes for both depending on the game/app, that could be interesting but it doesn't seem likely, WMR has controller standards as well as tracking standards, Samsung was the only one to deviate from the template design and it was to improve the form factor and build quality, they couldn't change or add inputs. If HP can deviate from WMR so much this time then why not also add a couple or more tracking cameras and match Oculus performance on that (software too) front? That's already a huge compromise right there even though they're pimping it as a premium no compromise product. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice Vox Machinae update (new hub links don't show the update title and content preview, meh):

Last edited:

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Do we know anything about the new HP headset that as announced in collab with Valve?
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Index, but I'm fearing that something way better might be coming out for a lower price.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Do we know anything about the new HP headset that as announced in collab with Valve?
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Index, but I'm fearing that something way better might be coming out for a lower price.
not yet, no ... but i wouldn't worry about it being better and cheaper :p it'll probably be one of those REALLY cheap ones ... just a bit better than the previous WMR batch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuki and lashman