Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Also a small Alyx patch already. Yay, smooth turning and stuff:
  • Improved turning options in Preferences:
    • Added "Continuous Turn", and associated turning speed options.
    • Renamed "Quick turn" to "Snap Turn" to make its functionality clearer.
    • Added option to disable controller turning.
  • Improved hand-over-mouth pose usability for Windows MR controllers.
  • Improved the resolution of impact decals on enemies.
  • Improved automatic detection of default Quality settings for some machine configurations.
  • Fixed an issue where some sounds didn't play as intended.
  • Fixed an issue where the main menu could become less responsive if you had many save games.
  • Fixed several crashes.
Also, damn:
I just got past the part with the blind enemy, what a finely crafted adventure this is, though I believe it bugged for me while messing around throwing bottles all over the place as it was NOT roaming the cramped area with the battery cell behind the crank powered gate so I got off easy there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So apparently according to Twitter, Paper Beast (released on PSVR yesterday) is a timed exclusive, so it will release on PCVR at some point.

Still waiting for Ghost Giant and Ace Combat 7 VR missions, no idea why they aren't on PCVR yet. AC7 VR missions timed exclusivity ended in january.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com
Still waiting for Ghost Giant and Ace Combat 7 VR missions, no idea why they aren't on PCVR yet. AC7 VR missions timed exclusivity ended in january.
Same reason we never got RE7 on PCVR: it was released so long ago and now the developer isn't going back to it.

Timed exclusive VR modes are a hex, because they are de facto exclusives in the end.

Reactions: low-G and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It just looks like just another WMR kit, that initiative failed for a reason, unknown degree and point of the Valve collaboration some choose to focus on or not. It seems to sport the same 2 front cameras and no lighthouse trackers on the HMD. A good successor to the Samsung Odyssey would be nice indeed but only if it costs way less (just like Odyssey now that it's discounted to hell and back, it certainly wouldn't be a good competitor when its launch price was inbetween Oculus and Index levels, hence the 50% discounts they soon did and continued to increase) than Oculus which has superior tracking range and quality yet this appears to be aiming to be a premium expensive product rather than something to fit in the budget category that even Rift S is a bit above. With Microsoft seemingly abandoning WMR and sticking with the old tracking/controller standards such products aren't going to be very interesting no matter what cool display or audio technology varied manufacturers add. If it's not actually WMR based then there's no reason to collaborate with Microsoft at all. Maybe they've somehow worked on some hybrid implementation that means they use WMR inside out tracking yet the superior controller technology/form factor of the Index with compatibility modes for both depending on the game/app, that could be interesting but it doesn't seem likely, WMR has controller standards as well as tracking standards, Samsung was the only one to deviate from the template design and it was to improve the form factor and build quality, they couldn't change or add inputs. If HP can deviate from WMR so much this time then why not also add a couple or more tracking cameras and match Oculus performance on that (software too) front? That's already a huge compromise right there even though they're pimping it as a premium no compromise product. We'll see.

Nice Vox Machinae update (new hub links don't show the update title and content preview, meh):

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Do we know anything about the new HP headset that as announced in collab with Valve?
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Index, but I'm fearing that something way better might be coming out for a lower price.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Do we know anything about the new HP headset that as announced in collab with Valve?
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Index, but I'm fearing that something way better might be coming out for a lower price.
not yet, no ... but i wouldn't worry about it being better and cheaper :p it'll probably be one of those REALLY cheap ones ... just a bit better than the previous WMR batch

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Cardiff, Wales
www.playedthat.com
It'll open up VR to people on the lower end of the market who want an affordable and acceptable product.

It's not going to be an Index Killer, however. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they matched the Rift S.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm not sure why you'd want to disable dynamic resolution in HL:Alyx.

It's very well implemented, so basically, that just means you'd end up with lower quality in less demanding scenes if you want to maintain the same performance level.

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Just finished Alyx. So god damn cool.

I'm not sure why you'd want to disable dynamic resolution in HL:Alyx.

It's very well implemented, so basically, that just means you'd end up with lower quality in less demanding scenes if you want to maintain the same performance level.
I was actually looking to do the above to force myself into reprojection + high resolution territory now that I'm done so I can look at the larger environments all pretty and sharp even if the framerate cuts.

I do agree their implementation is really great, the game felt real smooth all the way through.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't like dynamic anything myself, I like consistency, in and out of VR. Just like one locks fps in a happy medium rather than get a variable 30-144 framerate. At least until we get true eye tracked foveated rendering in VR where it can keep up and seems just as good as consistently high quality rendering would. I guess I also wouldn't mind some game with a clear divide, ie, indoor sections @ 4K and outdoor more demanding @ 1440p or whatever works for my PC.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
finishing Alyx has me real thirsty for more VR to play. What games are people jumping to after having beaten Alyx?
I've underlined a couple similarly serious action/adventure stuff in the ol recommendation list.
And here is a preliminary, not necessarily updated with all the latest things (so, just participate in the thread, duh) list of VR games I can basically recommend, obviously always depending on your preferences (and excluding obvious must have shit like Beat Saber and Half-Life: Alyx):

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is an immersive sim-lite with great action & some resource scavenging.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure with nicely integrated teleport mechanics and a new sequel.

Apex Construct is a sci fi immersing adventure game with archery action at its core.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than it seems at first but still fun as hell.

The Room VR is a wonderful continuation of the famous puzzle adventure series, perfectly adapted to VR!

The Thrill of the Fight is a boxing sim, if less fancy than the gamey Creed and its Rocky license.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Pistol Whip is the new kid on the rhythm game block, I love it like it’s a funky musical Virtua Cop-like.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight but maybe the best of the genre in VR.

In Death is an archery based rogue-lite I spent many hours in early on despite the limited scope.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo!

Racket Fury is a very polished table tennis game, the realism was surreal at first despite the sci fi.

Catch & Release is a fishing game. Who doesn’t like fishing? I want Twilight Princess fishing in VR now.

Moss is a third person action adventure, you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Down the Rabbit Hole is yet another fairy tale adapted to VR, with its own twists, turns and unique style.

Asgard's Wrath is a made-for-VR action RPG with a Viking theme that many people seem to enjoy.

Space Junkies is a PVP zero gravity arena FPS, like Quake in space, great for some instant action.

Ultrawings is a flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings, goals and stuff to get through.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with not-web-swinging and archery, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP mech combat game with awesome cockpits.

Raw Data is probably the best of the arena/wave shooters with different classes, progression & co-op.

Onward is my favorite “standard” FPS, PVP focused, some co-op & the best feel for weapons/gadgets.

Lone Echo is a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR and its $10 Combat DLC rock too.

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great interactions.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have progression etc.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

There are many great early access games too, I like where Vengeful Rites is going as a VR RPG action adventure with sword wielding, spell casting, the works and there’s also the free-for-now A Township Tale alpha to try for some online rpging/surviving/crafting alongside social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, even Bigscreen. VTOL VR is a great indie combat flight sim with wonderfully interactive cockpits. There are also ports of non-VR games or games that are both for VR and regular play, which are done very well, as long as you like the base games. Titles like Skyrim VR, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally 1 & 2, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and others were converted very well. Some like Fallout 4 VR weren’t as successful however so some caution is necessary before purchase. Others have been converted by fan modifications, MotherVR is a great mod for Alien Isolation, without hand tracking, while the same creator is working on ReclaimerVR, a mod for Halo: The Master Chief Collection that will include that and another guy works on an Outer Wilds mod with hand tracking as well.
I need to go back and add stuff like The Room VR I guess (edit; did). The next in line might be Lies Beneath on April 14 (for PC, it's already out on Oculus Quest).

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and Alo81

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Hmm Asgard's Wrath is finally on sale on the Oculus Store but I can't check out right now. Looks like a server error.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Is there a detailed list anywhere of Oculus Store exclusive titles? Anything I can find on google is fairly bitty =/
Even the Oculus Originals page on the Oculus website doesn't appear to be up to date.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
BTW the Asgard's Wrath sale is working now. Yeah 12% isn't great, but it hasn't been on sale otherwise.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I don't like dynamic anything myself, I like consistency, in and out of VR.
From my perspective a good dynamic quality implementation does that -- it gives you consistency in the most important aspect: frametime.
I guess there could be people who prefer lower but consistent image quality -- but in my experience good dynamic systems (like in Alyx) will primarily only drop quality in scenes where it's truly unnoticable -- even for people attuned to IQ like me (e.g. a grenade exploding).
The only other way to maintain a consistent experience in terms of framerate in such situations is to vastly over-provision performance, which must mean that you get significantly lower IQ than you could be getting the vast majority of the time.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, was really hoping the new Boneworks patch would come with a Steam Sale, but alas. Guess i'll hop in at full price.

Edit: Sounds like new update isn't actually live yet so I guess i'll hold out.

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Man. Boneworks was a great game to try out right after Alyx. This game is trying a lot of really crazy stuff.

I've thankfully had no motion sickness issues, though my understanding is they've refined some of the original problems to aid in mitigating that.

It feels considerably less polished than Alyx, but in return gives more freedom of interaction. The climbing is rad. I'm stoked to play some more of this.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It feels considerably less polished than Alyx, but in return gives more freedom of interaction. The climbing is rad. I'm stoked to play some more of this.
Have you ever tried Climbey?
It's "just" climbing and very simplistic graphically, but the climbing / movement mechanics in that are extremely fun (and have a nice "easy to learn, hard to master" thing going).

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever tried Climbey?
It's "just" climbing and very simplistic graphically, but the climbing / movement mechanics in that are extremely fun (and have a nice "easy to learn, hard to master" thing going).
Yeah, i loved climbey. It was one of the first games i hopped back into when i upgraded to my index and helped me get comfortable with the controllers.

As i was climbing around in boneworks, one of my thoughts was “its so cool to have climbing like this in another game!”
Color space seems excellent for a day alone in isolation. I might give that a shot with Revive.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Finished Alyx.
What an unbelievable game. Will remember it for years to come. I have tried a lot of VR but this one felt the smoothest for me with no hint of sickness when using smooth locomotion for 2 hours at a time. Really sad it is over, now for the next big one for me - Medal of Honor VR.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I'll reshare what I felt when I finished Alyx

I haven't felt this ever since I played Half Life 1 as a kid back in 1998, and Half Life 2 as a teenager in 2004. It was groundbreaking for me, truly special, and now leaves a void that it will be hard to fulfill.

I want Valve to release the SDK of Source 2 ASAP so everyone can start producing content for it. The engine is great for VR, and I would love to see a modscene as good as it was back in HL1 days, but alas, the asset creation complexity might make it just a dream

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Lies Beneath is out at some point today for Rift:

Heard good things from Quest owners about it.

Also, on thursday it's been 1 year since Ghost Giant released on PSVR (releases on Quest some weeks ago). I really hope it releases on Steam soon as I loved it on my PSVR and with better tracking I can only see it making the game better.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
PC port on the 14th :)
It's out (~30), it should be pretty good even if most of the praise so far is from/for Oculus Quest users.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Not sure if Im liking Stormland. Game feels janky and unpolished and not particularly interesting. Little to no physics either. I keep dissasembling my weapons when I just wanna grab other stuff. I actually "rage quit" the game when I had a full minigun in my hand and I wanted to pick up another weapon laying down on the ground, but the game wanted to dissasemble the minigun instead.

It's still under 2 hours playtime so I can still refund it, but yeah, not liking it so far. World is somewhat boring to. Graphics are nice though.

Also, when Im in a fight and I have used up my ammo the weapon is useless and Im fucked as I either have to run back to a workshop to buy a new one or destroy an enemy with my shitty laser thing.

Feels like the game was released like a wet fart compared to Asgard's Wrath and some other Oculus exclusives. The game is apparently just 4-5 hours with grindy stuff for endgame content and no post release patches either afaik.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Weird control issues, that pretty much never happened to me as to disassemble a weapon you have to grab it with both hands and pull it apart past that. Maybe I did it a couple times when trying to two-hand certain weapons as they all have one-handed and two-handed usage modes with different holding positions that for some can be close to the disassembly grab point but after getting comfortable with each type it wasn't a big issue. Smaller than ejecting a pistol clip when trying to two-hand that in Boneworks. It's hard to run out of ammo for anything but the (sniper) rifle stuff which deliberately hold little ammo. Headshots count, though I never found them necessary to conserve ammo with the automatic weapons or anything, they're just satisfying damage dealers. Disassembling found weapons gives back ammo for that type of weapon iirc, or you can just replace it with the enemy's/loot boxes after larger combat encounters rather than keep it with low ammo and go to the next battle in that state. The gameplay loop is fun, as is upgrading your weapons and skills (which do alter the overall gameplay style as you see fit, all the flying/hovering stuff in particular and of course when you can eventually keep 4 weapons), though the game's certainly shallow and the whole open world and story never really come into focus as anything but a backdrop for the action. I'd say it took me at least 8 hours to beat, with a lot of wasted time for sure, and I've now played it for about 24 hours total. It's always nice to have something to do past a game's end even if it's repetitive, at least you get some instant action rather than replay story beats you know (I recently finished Journey of the Gods and it's quite weird it doesn't let you revisit levels or anything for some action past the ending, it was still great but that was a bit eh). It's not shorter than other notable VR action games. At least one run of the "post game" content is an all new area/objective so imo part of the main game, repeat runs of it to get the "real" ending are definitely padding though. I did initially think it's gonna be some action adventure like Alyx, linear with story beats and such progression and what not, but realizing it's not anything of the sort, it's good at what it does, unlike Asgard's Wrath which I refunded as what it did try, it didn't do well enough in my opinion, from combat to story telling etc.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I sadly decided to refund it, maybe wait till it's even cheaper. The gameplay got more and more annoying and frustrating. I wish I liked it, I thought I would. I did like it during the first hour.

It's actually the only VR game I have ever refunded.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Previous acclaimed Oculus exclusive The Under Presents just hit Steam.

Have been having ot my Oculus wishlist since last year, but Im getting it on Steam now instead.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seems like the recently praised PSVR exclusive Paper Beast is coming to PCVR and/or Quest at some point, that's at least how I take their answer due to the "atm".

Last edited:
Reactions: knch