Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, was really hoping the new Boneworks patch would come with a Steam Sale, but alas. Guess i'll hop in at full price.

Edit: Sounds like new update isn't actually live yet so I guess i'll hold out.

Reactions: lashman

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Man. Boneworks was a great game to try out right after Alyx. This game is trying a lot of really crazy stuff.

I've thankfully had no motion sickness issues, though my understanding is they've refined some of the original problems to aid in mitigating that.

It feels considerably less polished than Alyx, but in return gives more freedom of interaction. The climbing is rad. I'm stoked to play some more of this.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It feels considerably less polished than Alyx, but in return gives more freedom of interaction. The climbing is rad. I'm stoked to play some more of this.
Have you ever tried Climbey?
It's "just" climbing and very simplistic graphically, but the climbing / movement mechanics in that are extremely fun (and have a nice "easy to learn, hard to master" thing going).

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever tried Climbey?
It's "just" climbing and very simplistic graphically, but the climbing / movement mechanics in that are extremely fun (and have a nice "easy to learn, hard to master" thing going).
Yeah, i loved climbey. It was one of the first games i hopped back into when i upgraded to my index and helped me get comfortable with the controllers.

As i was climbing around in boneworks, one of my thoughts was “its so cool to have climbing like this in another game!”
Color space seems excellent for a day alone in isolation. I might give that a shot with Revive.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Finished Alyx.
What an unbelievable game. Will remember it for years to come. I have tried a lot of VR but this one felt the smoothest for me with no hint of sickness when using smooth locomotion for 2 hours at a time. Really sad it is over, now for the next big one for me - Medal of Honor VR.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I'll reshare what I felt when I finished Alyx

I haven't felt this ever since I played Half Life 1 as a kid back in 1998, and Half Life 2 as a teenager in 2004. It was groundbreaking for me, truly special, and now leaves a void that it will be hard to fulfill.

I want Valve to release the SDK of Source 2 ASAP so everyone can start producing content for it. The engine is great for VR, and I would love to see a modscene as good as it was back in HL1 days, but alas, the asset creation complexity might make it just a dream

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Lies Beneath is out at some point today for Rift:

Heard good things from Quest owners about it.

Also, on thursday it's been 1 year since Ghost Giant released on PSVR (releases on Quest some weeks ago). I really hope it releases on Steam soon as I loved it on my PSVR and with better tracking I can only see it making the game better.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
PC port on the 14th :)
It's out (~30), it should be pretty good even if most of the praise so far is from/for Oculus Quest users.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Not sure if Im liking Stormland. Game feels janky and unpolished and not particularly interesting. Little to no physics either. I keep dissasembling my weapons when I just wanna grab other stuff. I actually "rage quit" the game when I had a full minigun in my hand and I wanted to pick up another weapon laying down on the ground, but the game wanted to dissasemble the minigun instead.

It's still under 2 hours playtime so I can still refund it, but yeah, not liking it so far. World is somewhat boring to. Graphics are nice though.

Also, when Im in a fight and I have used up my ammo the weapon is useless and Im fucked as I either have to run back to a workshop to buy a new one or destroy an enemy with my shitty laser thing.

Feels like the game was released like a wet fart compared to Asgard's Wrath and some other Oculus exclusives. The game is apparently just 4-5 hours with grindy stuff for endgame content and no post release patches either afaik.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Weird control issues, that pretty much never happened to me as to disassemble a weapon you have to grab it with both hands and pull it apart past that. Maybe I did it a couple times when trying to two-hand certain weapons as they all have one-handed and two-handed usage modes with different holding positions that for some can be close to the disassembly grab point but after getting comfortable with each type it wasn't a big issue. Smaller than ejecting a pistol clip when trying to two-hand that in Boneworks. It's hard to run out of ammo for anything but the (sniper) rifle stuff which deliberately hold little ammo. Headshots count, though I never found them necessary to conserve ammo with the automatic weapons or anything, they're just satisfying damage dealers. Disassembling found weapons gives back ammo for that type of weapon iirc, or you can just replace it with the enemy's/loot boxes after larger combat encounters rather than keep it with low ammo and go to the next battle in that state. The gameplay loop is fun, as is upgrading your weapons and skills (which do alter the overall gameplay style as you see fit, all the flying/hovering stuff in particular and of course when you can eventually keep 4 weapons), though the game's certainly shallow and the whole open world and story never really come into focus as anything but a backdrop for the action. I'd say it took me at least 8 hours to beat, with a lot of wasted time for sure, and I've now played it for about 24 hours total. It's always nice to have something to do past a game's end even if it's repetitive, at least you get some instant action rather than replay story beats you know (I recently finished Journey of the Gods and it's quite weird it doesn't let you revisit levels or anything for some action past the ending, it was still great but that was a bit eh). It's not shorter than other notable VR action games. At least one run of the "post game" content is an all new area/objective so imo part of the main game, repeat runs of it to get the "real" ending are definitely padding though. I did initially think it's gonna be some action adventure like Alyx, linear with story beats and such progression and what not, but realizing it's not anything of the sort, it's good at what it does, unlike Asgard's Wrath which I refunded as what it did try, it didn't do well enough in my opinion, from combat to story telling etc.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I sadly decided to refund it, maybe wait till it's even cheaper. The gameplay got more and more annoying and frustrating. I wish I liked it, I thought I would. I did like it during the first hour.

It's actually the only VR game I have ever refunded.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Previous acclaimed Oculus exclusive The Under Presents just hit Steam.

Have been having ot my Oculus wishlist since last year, but Im getting it on Steam now instead.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seems like the recently praised PSVR exclusive Paper Beast is coming to PCVR and/or Quest at some point, that's at least how I take their answer due to the "atm".

Last edited:
Reactions: knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ooh, getting some Dark Souls VR vibes here. Clearly it's still early days but I like the visual style and enemy animations and spell gestures etc., it's all well done.
This came out too, I dunno if it's any good but it seems like a promising effort for some multi player melee combat with the necessary concessions.

A current home VR game will not reach the heights of this location VR experience with big space and full body tracking but it can still be good fun.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I've been playing Lies Beneath but I'm debating whether to keep at it or refund it while I can in order to buy it cheaper down the line (it will take a while for it to get any meaningful discounts since it's on Oculus only, for now at least). It seems very good so far, though a little floaty and weightless and certainly affected by the intention to also have it as an Oculus Quest title given its weak specifications (but I don't mind that when it's handled well, Journey of the Gods was another such game and I really enjoyed that). The combat is overall pretty nice, there are various other neat interactions here and there and the initial sections of dread still got to me even though it's not going for jump scares, has a comic book esque visual style and I've played games like The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners to death so I thought I'll be immune. I like the mechanics with the lighter too. I'm just not sure how meaty and well developed or fulfilling to the end it's going to be as a linear action adventure. Then again, VR doesn't have too many of these yet and it wasn't a full price title at ~30 so maybe I should support it.
I actually finished Lies Beneath 2 days ago. Liked it a lot. Liked it more than Journey of the Gods which I also finished, still liked that too though.

Im getting Sinners most likely during the next Steam sale it's on.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This came out too, we'll see about impressions but it looked promising. Swords of Gurrah above is getting some pretty good feedback so far.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This came out too. I've posted about it before, the visual style looked interesting, but I can't say it looks well/deeply developed. We'll see impressions soon.

I expected it to be in development far longer from the earlier media, I guess it's a simpler game than I hoped, much like Wands or The Unspoken and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: knch and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This looked like a neat experiment two months ago.
But now it's looking like a promising Mirrors Edge-like.

The studio has other neat looking games but they seem to not flesh each out much, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Already funded, huh. Shame for Project Terminus, the free alpha demo was so good and promising. I hope they keep at it. Zero campaign updates though, derp.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This came out, could be good (it's early access and will eventually offer co-p and PVP on top)

Semi-sequel (but I guess much more arcade action focused) of:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This came out today. VR is an extra paid DLC and it's barebones with gamepad controls (unless it just doesn't list motion tracked controllers).

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That looks smooth as fuck but we'll see what they can do in consumer form factor & cost & when...

It sucks we can't tell anything more about their tech since the test is using Vive bits and trackers etc.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I wonder how good it is - I would have hoped that the devs would have their level editor have a "baseline" autogen like this, that could then be polished manually. If this can make half-decent maps of the songs I love (which seem under represented on the custom sites :ripblob:) than my arms are about to suffer

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, this Gundam style mech action game just released too.

I don't know if it's any good yet but it's a real passion project following the sole developer's twitter so hopefully it has merits and will improve too (early access).

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Saints & Sinners hits PSVR today and Gorn hirts PSVR on may 19th. Really happy for PSVR owners. Been a long drought without any big games sicne Blood Truth which releases at the end of may last year.

Gorn is a lot of fun, but still waiting for a decent sale on Saints & Sinners, but Im told it's pretty good.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder how good it is - I would have hoped that the devs would have their level editor have a "baseline" autogen like this, that could then be polished manually. If this can make half-decent maps of the songs I love (which seem under represented on the custom sites :ripblob:) than my arms are about to suffer
I read up on it a bit and it seems the AI was trained on Electronic music. So it works well for Electronic, pretty well for pop and beat-centric hip hop.

Might be worth still trying and seeing what comes out of it for you.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I read up on it a bit and it seems the AI was trained on Electronic music. So it works well for Electronic, pretty well for pop and beat-centric hip hop.

Might be worth still trying and seeing what comes out of it for you.
i tried it on Metal ... not great, to say the least (even on expert+ which is supposed to be the best one quality-wise)

hopefully they'll keep working on it to make it decent ... at least before facebook inevitably buys them and shuts the project down (because there's no fucking way in hell they'd let them continue working on it and making it available to everyone)