Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yet another H3VR update and it seems to be substantial too, or are its changelogs always this huge?

Watch veterans try to not get PTSD while promoting a BR VR game (nah, just cringe marketing stuff):

And loads more VR game updates today (some I missed because they didn't show in the feed before)!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Anyone who could make an educated guess of what the bright spot in the middle of my right eye fov is? (photo is from steam vr home, the bright spot is to the right of a white streak of paint on the floor board)
A dead pixel? Dust under the lens? There is nothing to clean off from the surface. When using the headset it looks like a white spot in the middle of the fov with a less white streak going from it to the right. The spot as been there from the start, but it started being annoyingly obviously after I started using vision correction when playing.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Compared to the previous VR mods for Quake, mine features:
  • Hand tracking for both hands
  • VR melee system
  • Weapon models with ironsights and hands
  • Extensive customization options and menu
  • Rebalanced gameplay for VR (e.g. smaller hitboxes and bullet spread)
  • Hand interactions (pick up items, press buttons)
  • Pass VR data to QuakeC, so that it can be used in scripts
  • Clang-tidy up and C++-ification of the source code
  • And probably more :)

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh, I will totally ask a stupid question here, but can anyone help me understand how roomscale works ? (I have never tried VR)
I mean I can imagine how seated does, you have two motion controllers, you use a stick or tp over distances etc. But how do you move with a headset and a cable on your face without falling ? I know that you set up the safe play area with the headset first run, but what moves can you do, how much can you move, it’s very alien to me.
And the space required, I saw 3,5x3,5 meters, really ? That’s huge. Can you go smaller ?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Uh, I will totally ask a stupid question here, but can anyone help me understand how roomscale works ? (I have never tried VR)
I mean I can imagine how seated does, you have two motion controllers, you use a stick or tp over distances etc. But how do you move with a headset and a cable on your face without falling ? I know that you set up the safe play area with the headset first run, but what moves can you do, how much can you move, it’s very alien to me.
And the space required, I saw 3,5x3,5 meters, really ? That’s huge. Can you go smaller ?
You move with the headset and cable and hope you don't punch your screen, a wall or trip over something, like your cable. :p

Despite that I have roomscale where I play VR, I usually just stand in one spot and turn around when needed.

Check out Nathies videos where you can see how people play in roomscale:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You just move with the space you do have, I don't have too much space, it's like standing VR rather than room scale in my case, but do everything you see, you just watch out not to try to step around too much and only physically turn, do a small step here and there, crouch, lean, reach out, and so on, the boundaries show up to let you know you're going over as you set them. Games respond appropriately regardless and it's not like anybody has as much room as a full game level/world so you always resort to analog stick and other artificial movement methods as in non VR games, you just get to do cool stuff the more room you have instinctively, moving as you would irl. There are some games that only work with a lot of room that don't actually rely on analog stick or similar movement but they tend to be few and far between experiments rather than a common occurrence, such as Tea for God (old vid, game has improved):

That's the exception, I pretty much know only of that and Unseen Diplomacy (and 2) as notable releases with those mechanics. It was playable but not fun at all with my room, the technology scales the rooms and everything down to any size but for my little space it meant I was constantly pivoting around myself to enter the new areas, barely able to take steps. Other games are just like so, these are some of the vids I link to show VR systems in a variety of settings:

I suppose with Superhot which doesn't have analog stick movement and normally restricts you to a small space anyway (like other games like Space Pirate Trainer where you're meant to judge dodge around in your little corner of the world and stuff rather than explore any level) I'm a bit on the edge, I could use another step in each direction to make it more intuitive and natural but it was still perfectly playable and complete-able with little space. With Pistol Whip you can clearly see it's not the player physically running around and he's also not using the analog stick, it's an automatically scrolling on rails game like Beat Saber.

When people complain a game doesn't have room scale or similar it's not that they expect to walk around the whole game world within the confines and layout of their room, just that it may have restrictions so the movements you can do within your limited space aren't fully reflected in game, like Saints & Sinners was when it first released where if you tried to physically crouch the game just pushed the game world away from you to maintain the same exact player height at all times, which was just weird, it's not common and was quickly fixed. I'd say any game without room scale support these days is just out of some mistake (or a game you're meant to be sitting at all times in, like driving a car or piloting an aircraft so that if you try to move around you'd no clip out of the vehicle if it doesn't have features to restrict the view and have it move with you, which doesn't really matter, both are weird so you just don't try it while playing, lol).

Room scale is pretty much a given and doesn't really tell you anything much about the game in question, whether you can explore worlds (with the stick, or other means) or it's static or on rails or whatever, you need much more information than just that one common feature to understand what it offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This is neat, I love seeing the cool stuff people make (when they're sensible and useful like this, not stupid like a whole gun shaped attachment that may even obstruct the controllers and you can't even see with the HMD on so all that matters is the grip points, lol, like some of those useless 3rd party Wii accessories).

Last edited:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Wow, I don't think I have experienced motion sickness like I just did in Boneworks. I had to quit after a couple of minutes due to extreme nausea. That continuous analog joystick movement doesn't really work in VR does it?

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I suppose some people may have a higher tolerance for this kind of thing. I think I will stick with teleportation based games for now.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Two new trailers and release. No clue if this is any good but it certainly looks interesting for being an, I believe, mostly one man project. This has probably limited its depth of systems and what not but it could be a cool experience all the same. Maybe...

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Is there a list somewhere of recommended free games and paid ones. I hate to ask such an obvious question, but mind blown.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It looks like this just came out of early access and presumably incorporates these new things though there are no patch notes yet. I actually quite liked what I played of it before, it was a bit repetitive and slow perhaps but with videos like the above they seem to have taken measures to potentially address those flaws.

You can try this demo-like thing made for it a while ago but I'm not really sure if that got or will get any of the applicable improvements too.
Is there a list somewhere of recommended free games and paid ones. I hate to ask such an obvious question, but mind blown.
These are worth looking into, depending on your preferences (without some obvious stuff like The Lab and Beat Saber):

TWD: Saints & Sinners is a sweet immersive sim-lite with great action and decent resource management.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure with nicely integrated teleport mechanics and a new sequel.

Apex Construct is a sci fi action adventure game with archery systems at its core.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than it seems at first but still fun as hell.

The Thrill of the Fight is a boxing sim, if less fancy than the gamey Creed and its Rocky license.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Pistol Whip is the new kid on the rhythm game block, I love it like it’s a funky musical Virtua Cop-like.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight but maybe the best of the genre in VR.

In Death is an archery based rogue-lite I spent many hours in early on despite the limited scope.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo!

Racket Fury is a very polished table tennis game, the realism was surreal at first despite the sci fi.

Catch & Release is a fishing game. Who doesn’t like fishing? I want Twilight Princess fishing in VR now.

Moss is a third person action adventure, you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Space Junkies is a PVP zero gravity arena FPS, like Quake in space, great for some instant action.

Ultrawings is a flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings, goals and stuff to get through.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with not-web-swinging and archery, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP mech combat game with awesome cockpits.

Raw Data is probably the best of the arena/wave shooters with different classes, progression & co-op.

Onward is my favorite “standard” FPS, PVP focused, some co-op & the best feel for weapons/gadgets.

Lone Echo is a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR and its $10 Combat DLC rock too.

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great interactions.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have progression etc.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

There are many great early access games too, I like where Vengeful Rites is going as a VR RPG action adventure with sword wielding, spell casting, the works and there’s also the free-for-now A Township Tale alpha to try for some online rpging/surviving/crafting alongside social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, even Bigscreen. VTOL VR is a great indie combat flight sim with wonderfully interactive cockpits. There are also ports of non-VR games or games that are both for VR and regular play, which are done very well, as long as you like the base games. Titles like Skyrim VR, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally 1 & 2, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and others were converted very well. Some like Fallout 4 VR weren’t as successful however so some caution is necessary before purchase. Others have been converted by fan modifications, MotherVR is a great mod for Alien Isolation, without hand tracking, while the same creator is working on ReclaimerVR, a mod for Halo: The Master Chief Collection that will include that and another guy works on an Outer Wilds mod.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have these VR games. Are there super stinkers ? Must play ? Good starting points ?

Budget Cuts
Cosmic Trip
Dirt Rally 2.0
Distance
The Forest
Gorn
Ice Lakes
Keep Talking and...
Knee Deep
The Lab
Legend of Dungeon
Moss
No Man's Sky
Scanner Sombre
Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics
Smash Box Arena
Space Pirate Trainer
Superhot VR
Tabletop Simulator
The Town of Light

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have these VR games. Are there super stinkers ? Must play ? Good starting points ?
Here are my thoughts on those I played:

Budget Cuts -- A great story-driven game to play early when you are getting started with VR. It's built around teleport locomotion and shouldn't make anyone sick.

The Forest -- I'd say this is a bit more advanced, it's a port of a rather complex game to VR. Most fun in coop -- note that it supports VR/non-VR "crossplay".

The Lab -- The individual experiments in the lab are all quite different. They are each well worth checking out at least once, with some (like archery) having some replay value. Very optimized performance-wise. Also great for demonstrating VR to other people.

Moss -- Quite a change of pace compared to all the FP games. A solid platformer with some VR-assisted puzzling thrown in. Very cute art, and relatively light on the HW requirements too.

No Man's Sky -- A very mixed bag. Parts of the VR implementation are solid, but other aspects are weak. E.g. for some reason they don't really support real-world turning in some aspects of the UI.

Space Pirate Trainer -- One of the original Vive "launch titles". Great for a bit of active arcade VR fun. (If you want to go even more active/training then Holopoint is an interesting option in a similar vein)

Superhot VR -- I personally found this one a bit overrated, though of course the concept is unique and well-executed.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Thanks for every inputs ! Sad to hear NMS is a VR letdown, what a trip it could be.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Isn't there a way to have both standing guardian space and sitting leave me alone space ?
Oculus app is telling me it's not finding my safe space, well duh, I'm seated dumbass.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Fucking suits expecting VR games to sell like AAA :surrenderblob:

I just want to follow up with this that this rumor was false.

Not only is the Discord still active with community mods, but they also are looking for people to trial the PS VR version of the game.

Full steam ahead!

Also, this is a reminder that if you don't own this game, and you have VR, YOU ARE FUCKING UP!!!

It's the best VR game I've played, and I don't know how I'll go back to games like Resident Evil 4, when instead of third person, I can play in VR.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I didn't even try locomotion yet and I feel nauseous.
May have to do with the fact I play for longgg.
Woooo...

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh fuck this just dawned on me, the Rift lost my safe space settings because I unplugged it, didn't it ?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’m a tad worried about the bizarre return to lab I experienced in The lab. The second one even seemed to freeze the game in a neverending load screen. I hope the 2060 isn’t the cause.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I just want to follow up with this that this rumor was false.

Not only is the Discord still active with community mods, but they also are looking for people to trial the PS VR version of the game.

Full steam ahead!

Also, this is a reminder that if you don't own this game, and you have VR, YOU ARE FUCKING UP!!!

It's the best VR game I've played, and I don't know how I'll go back to games like Resident Evil 4, when instead of third person, I can play in VR.
Thank you for this, it's nice to see that these people didn't get screwed over after all.
And yes, it's a really impressive game, even more so considering it didn't get a lot of hype before release.

knch

Sep 23, 2019
I continue to be amazed that I never felt ANY motion sickness while playing TWD.

IDK how they pulled it off.
By turning half your screen black when you move?

Boneworks is far more amazing in this regard, because I can't tell how they managed.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
By turning half your screen black when you move?

Boneworks is far more amazing in this regard, because I can't tell how they managed.
What do you mean? You can disable all vignettes and stuff in TWD. First thing I check in all games as it's a common anti-motion-sickness option I don't need.

Last edited:

knch

Sep 23, 2019
What do you mean? You can disable all vignettes and stuff in TWD. First thing I check in all games as it's a common anti-motion-sickness option I don't need.
Only saw the default, couldn't be bothered to check after getting bored halfway through the intro.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
No idea what the fuck this is but I hope it does the series justice. Trying to not get too excited...

Wildman Inc. announced on March 10, 2020 that it will release its new VR title, Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (tentative title), licensed by SEGA GAMES Co., Ltd., as a software dedicated to VR headsets.

TOKYO (PRWEB) March 10, 2020

Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record is a VR dramatic shooter. It relive each of the various episodes that appeared in the three works of Sega Saturn software "Panzer Dragoon", "Panzer Dragoon Zwei" and "Panzer Dragoon Saga".

This work is a completely new work to play the episodes of the series trilogy by a new graphics that the first person view optimized for VR headsets and a new input method that likens the VR controller to the handgun of the dragon rider. The recording episodes and the support platform to be announced later.

For the latest information, please check official Twitter account @PanzerDragoonVR

[ Specification ]
Product Name : Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (tentative title)
Release Date : 2020 Japanese Fiscal Year (Until March 2021)
Genre : VR Dramatic Shooter
Players : Single person
Publish & Development : Wildman Inc.
Copyright : Original Game©SEGA/©Wildman

Panzer Dragoon is either registered trademark or trademark of SEGA Holding Co., Ltd. or its affiliates
Wildman's youtube channel doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever but the last videos are pretty old, hopefully pure tech demos/proof of concept crap and without the Panzer Dragoon content so given that and SEGA's backing they're hopefully creating something much more robust for home systems this time.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What do you recommend for seated VR experiences ? As already mentioned in the Steam Thread, I'm... not very mobile right now :weary-face:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Trover Saves the Universe is a good one for seated VR if you haven't played it already. I also hope as part of their PC initiative Sony ports Astro Bot: Rescue Mission to PC VR, because that one's superb for seated experiences.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What do you recommend for seated VR experiences ? As already mentioned in the Steam Thread, I'm... not very mobile right now :weary-face:
Lucky's tale VR is cool.
The problem here is: It's an oculus exclusive.

Hellblade senua's sacrifice also has a neat VR follower mode and can be played with a controller.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This says Quest in the title but the game will be made available for PC too and this is newer footage.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited: