Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: knch and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Gee, I wonder what game this is inspired by. It looks pretty neat though! Especially if you like that sort of asymmetrical PVP :)

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
OMG my Index order says it will ship in 2 weeks!

it said ships in 4 weeks 10 weeks ago and it said ships in 8 weeks 18 weeks ago so i reckon ships in 2 weeks means its about 6 weeks away woo!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Together with the release of Onward on the Quest we’ve pushed out a massive patch (v1.8) for PCVR platforms such as Steam and the Oculus Rift.
Version 1.8 upgrades Onward to fully utilize Unity 2019 and the Universal Rendering Pipeline that is included with it, which has allowed us to optimize the game’s performance and prepares us to expand upon the game in the future. Because the game now uses Unity addressables it only loads assets that are being used, drastically reducing memory usage and game load times. Adding to the performance improvements is the fact that Onward now directly compiles to native code.

These changes are great, but do mean that we’ve had to temporarily remove a number of maps: Turbine, Abandoned, Snowpeak and Jungle will return in a patch that should come soon. It also means that custom maps made for older versions of Onward will no longer launch, and so we’ve temporarily removed access to the Workshop until we can work with map authors to upgrade their maps for this new update, and the Unity rendering pipeline. They too will return in an upcoming patch.

On the graphics front we’ve added a couple of new options for players who wish to push the graphical fidelity further: you can now enable bloom and simulated depth of field. Furthermore, we’ve improved the lighting in various areas of the game, and implemented dynamic lighting effects. Many more improvements can be found in the full patch notes below.

We’ve also upgraded the audio assets in the game: each weapon has new audio associated with it, and features different sound depending on whether it’s used indoors or outdoors, whether it’s close or distant, and whether or not it’s silenced.

Gameplay wise we’ve made a number of noticeable changes. To name a few of the more important changes: the default length of a match round in Onward’s core game modes has been reduced by a minute to increase the overall pace of matches, sprinting with the shield out has been disabled, and the shotguns have been buffed and their pellet spread slightly reduced.

The AI has seen some major changes as well: we’ve given bots more consistent loadouts, and we’ve increased the performance of the AI to allow for up to 128 bots to spawn in a Hunt. Make sure you spend your ammo wisely..!

• Love

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: knch and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Fun updates in the hardware survey:

SteamVR usage is approaching double since November

Also Index is doing rather well considering it's price, as the third most popular headset:

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Terminator: Resistance is getting some form of VR support.

I wonder if this is VR-compatible story DLC or whether they've created a version of the campaign that works in VR. There are a number of design elements in the game that would arguably need reworking to be comfortable in VR, such as the game opening with a chase sequence where you have to run at top speed or you die. Chase sequences are... not a great introduction in a VR title.

• Eyes
Reactions: mssq and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey my Index order is ready to be shipped! Woo.

Its says i should get HL:Alyx refunded, does anyone know when that happens (once the headset ships?)? Yep it does And i assume ill get steam wallet credit?

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
vrkshop has added various things in updates, from smooth locomotion to the metric measurements.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

knch

Sep 23, 2019
Hmm they all display for me :(

I've never encountered a limit on the embedded media here, where on naff there's 10 total so I make the posts a little different.

Maybe your browser stopped loading the page, try refreshing so that it shows from this point on while scrolled down so that it doesn't load the earlier stuff.
When scrolling down it only showed the top half of the bottom 4. When scrolling up it's a glitchy loading mess I'm not willing to wait for :p

Still appreciating all the effort you put in to this thread!

i think the limit here is like 80 or something :p so yeah, still a long way to go, lol
Don't tempt him! :p

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
So my Index has shipped (woo) and it says in transit. Looks like its coming from the Netherlands.

Can anyone who got one in the UK give me a rough estimate as to how long theirs took to arrive from this point? I'm away for a few days next week and knowing my luck that'll be when they try to deliver it.

knch

Sep 23, 2019
I use Firefox still and don't really have such problems with it. Maybe other browsers handle it different. I'll remove the quoted stuff at the top of the page to help.

With Firefox it only seems to load the embedded media when you actually scroll (and stay, not just get past fast) to them, so it works to go from the bottom up.

I regularly go through whole pages because I use them to visit the twitter/tube accounts I have posted stuff from to see if they have anything new and it works.

Maybe delete your cache and stuff and try again if too much at a time borks it. Or just close the browser and let it rest a bit or something, lol, I don't know...
Still appreciating all the effort you put into this thread!
Ignore everything else I posted, because it wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Certainly not as serious as you same to be taking it.

knch

Sep 23, 2019
Not offended or anything, just saying, if you're willing to try other browsers and stuff they may work better. Or not.
It was just a remark, I'm well aware Chrome/Chromium is shit, but I just don't like Firefox (I've tried, I really have...)
Save that energy for when you feel to need to shit all over Leonidas over at GAF! :p

Some actual VR related content:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I don't think it's a good choice for Europe-ish regions any more, with the price having hiked up to 699 euros. That puts it at what, ~300 higher than Rift S, scalper pricing aside. Others may value the res that much but not me, when it's not a real improvement elsewhere (near field tracking concerns are in this very video).

Last edited:
  • Love

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
OMG my Index is going to arrive today! woo.

Shame its going to be ridiculously hot today which sucks for VR but woo. Cant wait. I think HL:A will be getting another playthrough. Really interested to see what a difference the controllers will make. I struggle to grip the old Vive ones and it cramps my hands up.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Its arrived!

Phew its a lovely looking bit of kit. Not going to fire it up yet as its too hot but just putting on the headset I can allredy tell its going to be more comfortable than the Vive, it feels lighter and seems to fit better on my head. Controllers feel nice too.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Its arrived!

Phew its a lovely looking bit of kit. Not going to fire it up yet as its too hot but just putting on the headset I can allredy tell its going to be more comfortable than the Vive, it feels lighter and seems to fit better on my head. Controllers feel nice too.
so jelly :negative-blob:

• Hug
Reactions: Joe Spangle