Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I came in here to see if anyone was talking about the latest great VR game besides half life Alyx, asgard's wrath, and The walking Dead.

Doesn't seem like much conversation going on.

I'm trying to ease my way back in. Took like two or three months off from VR. Turned on Spectro yesterday. Got nauseous. Unusual, but unsurprised because I was tired, and I tell everyone not to play VR when they're tired.

Will try again later.

Reactions: lashman

knch

Sep 23, 2019
I came in here to see if anyone was talking about the latest great VR game besides half life Alyx, asgard's wrath, and The walking Dead.

Doesn't seem like much conversation going on.

I'm trying to ease my way back in. Took like two or three months off from VR. Turned on Spectro yesterday. Got nauseous. Unusual, but unsurprised because I was tired, and I tell everyone not to play VR when they're tired.

Will try again later.
It's at least 33 degrees, my VR room is right under the roof, I just bought a fan but it's "abused" to send the air from the one portable aircon somewhat around the house. Even with the fan it would be impossible... (Had been playing X-booster, it's fun, my condition is absolute shite... :p )

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I was better rested yesterday after a nap.

Spetro is a fun ghost-busting game...until there's an event that freezes you in place and you have to zap all the mini-ghosts coming at you. If you fail this event, you start the game over.

I HATE it. It's already a rogue-lite. Why TF does this "skill check" event exist when there's already enough working against you?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seems like the delay of Survios' Walking Dead game is paying off. Thanks to Saints & Sinners they're stepping up their game. Let's see what happens then!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
In the Hitman III AMA they said in it's gamepad only on PSVR, that explains it. What a bait and switch, I'm pretty sure they initially said explicitly you'll be performing the actions yourself. If they don't bother doing hand tracking then I don't even care if they bring it to PC later on, or not, same as Resident Evil VII...

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Hitman III VR sounds amazing in concept, but is sadly hamstrung by the PSVR exclusivity. Hopefully if/when they do release it on PC, they go the extra mile.

Reactions: knch and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Finally got to try out my new Index as its cooled off a bit and.......yeah. Its great. Definitely lighter than the Vive and more comfortable to wear. Really like the controllers too. They dont make my hands cramp up like the Vive ones did. I tried out HL:A and it looks great. Think i might pick up boneworks.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm glad to see this project is still alive, the dude was very discouraged when Squadrons was announced, as if you can ever have too many Star Wars VR games!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oculus to start demanding a Facebook account from October 2020 and for everyone to be linked by 2023.
Create blahblah_vr account on a free mailer service.
Create blahblah_vr account on Facebook.
Only use blahblah_vr account for Oculus VR.
Sorted.

edit: or as someone else said use your mum's login! lol! :D Yeah, my mum in her 70s suddenly starts getting adverts for VR games :D
The next Oculus headset would have to be ultra next-gen for me to login more than the once a year i usually do. I'd just create a vr account and if facebook shadow-linked my active VR account it to my nearly inactive real accounts then, eh, whatever. go crazy with my total lack of data Zuckface! :D

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I bought 3 non-exclusive Oculus games on the Oculus Store. But this continues to stink. Oculus's trajectory from Facebook's purchase has been pointed firmly downward, and this marks a serious point that will steer them only further downward while also being a sign that people are getting frustrated with their performance.

Well, you won't be doing better by forcing this link Oculus. And you won't be doing better by not making a new enthusiast headset. And you won't be doing better without ever putting your exclusive sales on sale, and when they go to other platforms they immediately show up with a better price.

I don't see Oculus ever pulling out of the nose dive.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I think it depends on their momentum. I know a couple of people who bought the Quest as it was standalone and pretty cheap for people without a beefy PC or who just play consoles mainly. None of them really give a damn about Facebook as they only use it on their phones to keep in touch with old friends so to them the data capture by facebook is pretty meaningless.

There's definitely a market for a standalone "cheap" VR headset and Facebook/Oculus seem to be serious about R&D and improving the tech so i think they'll always have a market. Hopefully Sony are serious about a VR experience for the PS5 which could draw people away from Oculus but being standalone and having VR anywhere is super convenient for some people.

Reactions: Pommes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The nosedive of the ~45% of VR in the last Steam hw survey (so, people using it with a PC and not even the built-in store or just cheap/casual stand alone VR)...

Not everyone buys the most expensive stuff to think they have no chance of continuing to be successful just because others came out with premium products.

The original Rift was far from premium itself, it was also a pretty modestly priced well considered product for its time, just among less competitors back then...

The G2 itself, the currently hyped product, is not anything like the Index in terms of the price, it's part of its appeal (in the US mostly), while there are trade offs.

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i probably won't get another headset for a long time now. the quest has made me picky on some things like wireless/standalone and inside out tracking. i've got no interest in going back to cables and hanging shit on the wall to use vr :p and those things don't seem to be a focus for anyone other than oculus right now, though g2 does at least use inside out.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
If I didn't already have enough reasons to avoid Oculus, I'd be pretty happy to have dodged the incredibly-obvious-eventual-forced-Facebook-login-despite-them-saying-it-would-never-happen thing.

Personally I really like Valve's hardware and technology, but it would be nice to have someone competing directly with Oculus in the mainstream space. I have heard about a number of Chinese manufacturers that are doing pretty well in China.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I've only bought Stormlands and Lone Echo on the Oculus Store. Despite Lone Echo being good, I'm starting to regret that now with this Facebook shit.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Can anyone recommend any relaxing type games/programs on Steam for just sitting around enjoying the scenery? Like sitting on a beach or on a hilltop? I have the Blu (the whale one) which is nice when the jelly fish float by and fancy some peaceful sightseeing as we've been stuck in the flat for ages.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
I've only bought Stormlands and Lone Echo on the Oculus Store. Despite Lone Echo being good, I'm starting to regret that now with this Facebook shit.
for me i knew it was going to happen one day so this isn't too unexpected, just annoying. i figure i can't claim to hate or be actively avoiding facebook when i gave them $400 for a headset and $100 for various games. plus it's not like oculus accounts weren't being stored on fb servers already.

giving an out on the required account stuff for current headsets works for me and i just won't buy another oculus headset unless it's changed. getting rid of any hardware i already have seems silly so no plans to do that, especially since there is no other option for what i want.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
for me i knew it was going to happen one day so this isn't too unexpected, just annoying. i figure i can't claim to hate or be actively avoiding facebook when i gave them $400 for a headset and $100 for various games. plus it's not like oculus accounts weren't being stored on fb servers already.

giving an out on the required account stuff for current headsets works for me and i just won't buy another oculus headset unless it's changed. getting rid of any hardware i already have seems silly so no plans to do that, especially since there is no other option for what i want.
I think this is where I am, really. I managed to maintain the cognitive dissonance to keep Oculus separate enough from Facebook that I could continue to buy from them, but I'm less likely to now.

My next headset definitely won't be Oculus. It's amazing how much goodwill can evaporate with one needless change.

Reactions: warp_ and lashman

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone recommend any relaxing type games/programs on Steam for just sitting around enjoying the scenery? Like sitting on a beach or on a hilltop? I have the Blu (the whale one) which is nice when the jelly fish float by and fancy some peaceful sightseeing as we've been stuck in the flat for ages.
Probably not quite what you’re looking for, but Chroma Lab has been one I really enjoy for relaxing.

Put on some music, set up the scene to be a large space, and just kinda lay back shooting out particles. Big empty space, pretty lights and colors all around you.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Probably not quite what you’re looking for, but Chroma Lab has been one I really enjoy for relaxing.

Put on some music, set up the scene to be a large space, and just kinda lay back shooting out particles. Big empty space, pretty lights and colors all around you.
Cheers, looks nice. Bought it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey so was i supposed to get the price of HL:A refunded after getting my Index? I dont think ive had anything. Did anyone else buy Alyx first and then an Index? Whats the deal?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited: