Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: knch and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

6GB RAM and Snapdragon XR2 sound good. 128GB and 256GB variants for storage I suppose (maybe also 64 again? I dunno). I don't get why the Mixed Reality capture needs such a beast PC (even a 1080 GPU, I get the fast storage maybe), I almost thought it was talking about playing PCVR games there but no. PCVR is still working the same way, no wireless officially, just Link cable and still as a streaming video based solution I guess. Hopefully they try to get it working over 5G.

Other than that, another solid kit depending on the price (I mean, hopefully it starts at 499 if not 449 or less) but not mind blowing for PCVR given the competition and it's a shame PC connectivity is stream based again. Still, with no competitors in sight, it will most likely cement their dominance in stand alone all in one VR, even more games will be able to be ported/made with the better specs. And of course if it's pretty attractive for its all in one capabilities then it's also the one to get if you want both that and PCVR games, rather than choose just PC or buy two separate kits.

Still, strictly for PCVR, it's just a revision (so I guess the one to get from Oculus for new users, especially if it's the same Hz as the S or better). I wonder if they'll also do an S2 that does things different or better (Hz? Fov?) as far as PCVR is concerned or if Quest 2 will go all in for both modes, maybe enable things like finger tracking for PCVR. They'll probably use these controllers even if they do make an S2 but maybe they'll just have this one product.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
I'm sure it'll do well for those that like the convenience or don't have a VR PC but i do wonder what impact the obligatory Facebook demands will have on limiting it's potential audience.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I'm sure it'll do well for those that like the convenience or don't have a VR PC but i do wonder what impact the obligatory Facebook demands will have on limiting it's potential audience.
Unfortunately I don't think it will limit it enough :( It means I won't buy one and I'm someone that had a DK2, CV1 and Quest.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
For posterity.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Just noticed the Myst trailer on Oculus channel says Quest platform, even though that's clearly coming to PC/Steam. So who the f knows which of all these games will show up to PC! Fingers crossed. Maybe they forget that they should say "Rift" or need to find another way to differentiate which game will be stand-alone only and which also for the PC/Link too cos now they only have Quest products, even though they work on PC too, who knows.
Isnt Sniper Elite coming to PC?
It had been confirmed as PC too back when it was shown for PSVR if I remember correctly. We'll see what happens. Edit: yep, also Steam:
Dat "also":

Last edited:
Reactions: knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This looks like another they should launch on Steam as well to help with the multiplayer numbers since unlike the Echo games it isn't free to start (then again, Quest games tend to sell fast with that audience and unlike Medal of Honor this is for Quest as well as PC, maybe that's why they don't think they have to).

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This was mentioned before in passing even in some of the Facebook Connect videos. FB is doing weird (good?) things with the Oculus Quest side of their store. Apparently developers will be able to publish anything (I assume they'll still ban content infringing on other IP etc. as it comes to their attention) on the platform but it will remain unlisted and not appear in search if it doesn't go through the usual curation process, yet still give them functionality like pushing updates and generating keys which they can even sell however they like (but not through the store) and retain all revenue. I guess this is to compete with, replace or one up SideQuest. It seems like something they'd backpedal on if it gains traction and they see it as lost revenue when some dude sets up his Oculus keys store and sells a ton of a good game he made. Or when somebody makes something like SideQuest except it's just a site/store for selling generated keys for all the unlisted games devs put on it. Maybe it's all about controlling or monitoring what they now don't with SideQuest even if it doesn't bring in revenue. On PC it's unnecessary since anyone can release a game in/out of any stores but why not expand this to that side anyway, it's a neat free service option for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Darktalon

Jun 18, 2020
So after i buy an oculus Quest 2, oculus link, case, head strap, it's $480.

Am I stupid for going this route instead of getting a reverb g2? I have a very powerful pc, but I've also looked forward to wireless vr for a long time.

I've only had an HTC vive and psvr, and the resolution of the screens were way too low. I want to be able to read text clearly.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Why not see how you like the default strap or what usb cables will be suggested and how they compare to the official expensive one before shelling out for it?

You could also throw it in a backpack or bag/whatever. There may be more urgent accessories to buy (like vr cover stuff, idk how the default is). Just a thought.

If you want stand alone cableless VR (+ PC VR) you've got no real alternatives. The resolution is a big bump from what you've had, if it's enough is subjective...

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Fingers crossed for the last tweet in this post to result in something VR related :)

Various VR youtubers got to play Solaris ahead of tomorrow's launch, they have gameplay, comparisons between the PC and Quest version, Quest 2 gameplay, etc. I can't say it looks too in depth or compelling, epsecially after what these guys did previously on PSVR or compared to the likes of Echo Combat, we'll see.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Solaris is out now. It looks okay, a bit too simplistic (the pitfalls of designing for Quest first I guess) and conventional (compared to Echo Combat for example) and not even very polished (characters animate weird, FPS games solved that issue aeons ago but somehow VR devs can't follow the same principles). It could be fun for a while but I don't see it getting a large following. It's neither deep like Onward nor trigger happy fun like Space Junkies or hopefully Grapple Tournament. Some compare it to classics like Quake but it doesn't seem to have the mobility, depth or skill ceiling.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
TOR3 is out now:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Phasmophobia got its first update and is raising in popularity with over 1500 largely positive reviews..!
Vox Machinae just got another big update of its own as well, with tons of goodies and improvements!

Last edited:

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I just had a great time playing Phasmophobia tonight. The game is pretty effective at scaring the fuck out of you and your friends. You can try calling out its name or asking it questions, but sometimes it answers back...

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have no idea if VR will be suitable for me, as I can see myself getting motion sickness pretty easily. Regardless, I just picked up an Oculus Go as it was only $50. I know it's not nearly as good as the Quest and obviously the major players, but for the price it seemed worth it. I wonder if I'll be able to get Shadow running Steam games on here...

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
First reviews for Survios' TWD: Onslaught coming in. It seems shit. Nice enough graphics and controls, zero game design. We'll see tomorrow when it releases but yeah. Instead get Skydance's TWD: Saints & Sinners which is ace!

Last edited: