|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
What's the deal with the "faceless"
doppleganger
as informed by Gortash, any way to find out who it is?
Not really. Just keep playing, it's tied to the critical path so you can't miss it.

Reactions: Paul

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I did not have much time to play in the past days but this is what I did:

I invaded a bank where I saw Minsc for the first time. He isn't very bright from the little interaction we had with him lol.

I found an abandoned house with a mummy, it tasked me to find one of his servant who ran off. I had already discovered him and I guess the quest bugged because he couldn't talk to me, so I just killed him and delivered the corpse to the mummy. Funny thing is, the zombie had the mummy heart so I guess he's a lich or something like that.

I tried the haunted house, knocked out the painter but there was something dealing force damage to my characters and making them all fall, so I just left that quest for later.

I found a submarine, used deception to make the guy piloting the sub to take me to the Iron Throne (was this a place in the previous games?), I tried to free all of the hostages but I wasn't able as one was killed by a Sahuagin and other two had some trouble with the pathfinding so they didn't reach the sub in time.

After finishing that quest the priestess who tasked me in finding the "sea monster" appeared and I just gave the pilot to her because he was a dick about the followers of that goddess swimming and getting hit by the sub.

While exploring the city a house exploded and to my surprise the crazy drow lady who was in the Moonrise Tower was there, she offered a suspicious potion and I guess my blood is now explosive.
The haunted house was a complete nightmare to explore because of the constant knockbacks, though See Invisibility both helps, and makes it worse(cause you can see all the ghosts and they all aggro on you, leading to insanely long turns in combat!).

The Iron Throne in BG3 is named after the Iron Throne in BG1, which was a merchant organization that Sarevok was using as front, I think?

I reloaded after the drow lady made me explosive, cause I just don't want to deal with that!

Speaking of explosives... I just blew up a fireworks shop. I added a few of my own smokepowder barrels and bombs all throughout it and then set it off. It was a blast. Hah!

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Random thoughts on party members/spells:

Karlach is a fucking beast. I gave her a few levels of fighter, just for Action Surge which lets her rage, attack twice, then attack twice more. With Great Weapon Mastery, Reckless Attack, and Bless(if I remember to cast it!), she can take out most targets in a single round.

Gale is also really good. especially if you have 2 of the legendary spells: Danse Macabre and Curriculum of Strategy: Artistry of War. Both can only be cast once per short rest, but they are amazing.

Danse summons 6(!!!) ghouls. Each one has 44HP, and their basic attack can Paralyze enemies for 2 turns, which gives you guaranteed criticals against them with melee attacks. Despite being a CON save, it still hits all the time since there are 6 of them wailing on enemies. Plus, they are a great buffer to avoid getting overrun in fights with loads of enemies. Plus, if you can knock the enemy prone they can use their Devour ability, which does 3d10+3 and heals them.

Curriculum of War is like Magic Missile on steroids. It always hits, there is no saving throw, and you can launch 6 missiles(8-18 force damage each) at however many targets you want. If you launch them at one enemy, it can take them out, especially high-value targets like casters, or enemies with elemental resistances or high defense.

Globe of Invulnerability is also amazing - being completely immune to damage for 3 turns is immense, and you can fit your whole party in it. This made the Ansur fight easy.

Sunbeam is also incredible. Once you cast it, you can activate it every turn and it does insane line AoE damage and Blinds enemies.

There is a third legendary spell, but I haven't even used it yet. It can only be used once per long rest, and is a save for half spell, so it's never seemed that impressive.

One spell I cannot figure out is Telekinesis. When I try to cast it, nothing happens and when I click something to target it it makes me walk over to it or bash it with my staff.

Shadowheart is my other party staple. She is good, but as I get higher in levels, she feels less impressive vs. the other 2. Still, she can summon planar allies which helps distract enemies, and her heals are helpful in tight spots. I respecced her as War domain cause I wanted someone to be able to wear heavy armor, and she was already a front-liner. War is better than Trickery, as she can do an extra attack if she expends a resource, and she gets bonus damage as well. She can also use a reaction to buff an allies missed attack, which is good for when Karlach misses.

My bard is probably the weakest link, if I am honest. I love him for picking locks, disarming traps, and talking people into killing themselves, but I didn't build him optimally I think. I chose mediocre spells for his Magical Secrets, but I also intentionally tried to make him less damage focused on more support/debuff focused. I'm sure he actually really helps, it's just not as flashy. Plus, Hypnotic Pattern is actually really good for fights with 10+ enemies coming at you.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
We've now played our coop campaign for 33 hours or so, still in act 1. The underdark doesn't end.

I would write more about all the individual parts of this game that make it so great and that you probably just wouldn't see elsewhere, but it almost seems like a waste of time since almost everyone agrees that it's great :p

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm at the end and I've just been given a choice, and I hate all of the options. I need to sleep on this.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nice, I had this several times:
- Fixed a bug where listening in on a conversation as Player 1 and then exiting the dialogue prematurely could result in not being able to interact with anything anymore.

I was also affected by some of the quest bugs, like the Wyll-perma-!

Also, this made me laugh:
- Fixed the modesty filter not working on dragonborns.
Judging from my "Dragonborn" dialogue options, I think this is because Dragonborn are too proud to be modest.

Also:
- Invoke Duplicity now works as an identical copy of your character. And they're not naked.
What a downgrade.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The patch isn't that big in disk size (~2.2GB) but gigantic in content :sweaty-blob:
And of course, amoung other things, they buffed the one boss I was about to fight. Cheers Larian.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
And that's Baldur's Gate 3 done! And on my final day of vacation, at that. This playthrough took me 88 hours according to my save file(though it was closer to 110 in reality, as I had to re-do all of Act II because of a bug).

It's definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I was lucky, as I didn't find it overly buggy, especially for a huge RPG -- I only crashed once, my FPS was fine in Act III, and other than that I just had minor oddities(dialogue choices not being visible, characters occasionally re-acting to things incorrectly, etc...). The worst bug was Gale's romance not triggering properly in Act II, and me not noticing until the beginning of Act III, which led to me replaying the entire Act, as mentioned above.

The ending was... okay? The options you're left with were frustrating to me when you are first forced to decide, but it worked out in the end. The post-bossfight scene was very short, but enjoyable for what it was. I wish all of the characters had a bit more to say.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Boo no un-nerfing Monk's Safe Fall. Otherwise seems like an excellent patch, though.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
-- removed -- as much as the forum software will allow me. Which is, apparently, not at all.

I meant to post in metasteam, though the post was inspired by my frustration at seeing other people having fun with BG3 while I'm enjoying the busiest part of the year at work :cry:

___

edit: let's make this a pertinent BG3 post:

Is there any way to hotbar a specific variation of a spell? For instance, hotbar the fire version of chromatic orb, instead of having to choose fire every time?

Reason: can plz remove own post?
Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I think I’m in the last stretch of act 2. To my knowledge I’m ready to enter the zone with a progression warning.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
And that's me done after 164h.
Brilliant, amazing, perfect although not flawless.
Will wait before starting a 2nd playthrough, need an upgraded PC if I'm going to tackle this again (and also a couple of optimization patches might help). Maybe we'll get a definitive edition down the line and I'll play it again then, we'll see.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've been reading about some of the huge content cuts and changes(consequences for using the tadpole, the Upper City, Avernus, etc), and can't help but be a little disappointed. The ending, especially for some characters(Karlach!), kinda sucks.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The Raphael fight and the House of Hope stuff was amazing in Act 3. With the crazy music and everything lol.

His Final Act theme is probably my favorite from the OST. Really loved how all of that was resolved.

Raphael did a lot of fucking damage in that fight tho. One of his fireball attacks straight up did 50+ damage to like 3 of my party members. And then they stood in that smoldering fire or wtvr getting additional turn damage. It was brutal and I needed several long tries to get it done.

Also it was nice to have Yurgir fight alongside you at first but he was so clumsy with his stupid invincibility move. And his stupid crossbow attack or wtvr would knock everything off its path. He sent my party members flying and damaging them lol. But he does become your ally afterwards so maybe it will be all worth it in the end with him. Tho now I wonder what happens if you don't help him or kill him in act 2? Does he just not appear in Act 3 and/or does he fight you?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The naming of House of Hope area is such a clever play on words, it has so many meanings prior to the visit and, depending on your actions, gains a totally new meaning after.

I've been reading about some of the huge content cuts and changes(consequences for using the tadpole, the Upper City, Avernus, etc), and can't help but be a little disappointed. The ending, especially for some characters(Karlach!), kinda sucks.
Karly was done a little bit dirty although I'm not unhappy with how the story ended in my playthrough. She went with Wyll to Avernus to bring the fight to the demons, saving her and possibly making their pairing a thing (which was hinted a couple of times throughout the game).

The cut content is unfortunate but maybe we'll get some of it in a future update/version. I just hope that if it happens they revise the XP reward system, maybe cut it by 40%/50% to make exploring and questing in act 3 rewarding because, right now, you can get max level right at the begining of that act which is unfortunate.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The Raphael fight and the House of Hope stuff was amazing in Act 3. With the crazy music and everything lol.

His Final Act theme is probably my favorite from the OST. Really loved how all of that was resolved.

Raphael did a lot of fucking damage in that fight tho. One of his fireball attacks straight up did 50+ damage to like 3 of my party members. And then they stood in that smoldering fire or wtvr getting additional turn damage. It was brutal and I needed several long tries to get it done.

Also it was nice to have Yurgir fight alongside you at first but he was so clumsy with his stupid invincibility move. And his stupid crossbow attack or wtvr would knock everything off its path. He sent my party members flying and damaging them lol. But he does become your ally afterwards so maybe it will be all worth it in the end with him. Tho now I wonder what happens if you don't help him or kill him in act 2? Does he just not appear in Act 3 and/or does he fight you?
I managed to CC Raphael with Hold Monster, and it made the fight so much easier. Guaranteed crits against him the entire time it held, so I had Karlach Hasted and beating on him, while everyone else and my summons took out the pillars.

The naming of House of Hope area is such a clever play on words, it has so many meanings prior to the visit and, depending on your actions, gains a totally new meaning after.
It also has the absolute best boss-fight song ever!

Karly was done a little bit dirty although I'm not unhappy with how the story ended in my playthrough. She went with Wyll to Avernus to bring the fight to the demons, saving her and possibly making their pairing a thing (which was hinted a couple of times throughout the game).

The cut content is unfortunate but maybe we'll get some of it in a future update/version. I just hope that if it happens they revise the XP reward system, maybe cut it by 40%/50% to make exploring and questing in act 3 rewarding because, right now, you can get max level right at the begining of that act which is unfortunate.
I had the same ending with for Karlach and Wyll as you. It's not horrible, it just feels like it was the "bad" ending for her(well, not as bad as her dying!), as if that's what happens if you don't finish her questline or something. There are hints throughout Act III that you are supposed to repair her heart by the end of the game, like the part where the Watcher thinks she is a defective Watcher.

Gale's ending is also kind of a flop. You can either auto-win the final boss fight by letting him kill himself, or he decides to search for the crown that fell in the harbor... which he'll do off screen at some point after the game ends, with you never knowing what happens. Though maybe that's just because of how I completed the final fight. I'm note sure. But it feels like the whole climax of his quest(getting the crown and giving it to Mystra or keeping it for himself) doesn't happen.

I'm hoping the inevitable EE restores some of this stuff, because in hindsight, it feels incomplete.

Reactions: kio

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Context for the spoilers for those that haven't finished yet, we're discussion how the story ended for 2 characters, if it's good or bad and if the cut content affected their personal stories/quests.

I had the same ending with for Karlach and Wyll as you. It's not horrible, it just feels like it was the "bad" ending for her(well, not as bad as her dying!), as if that's what happens if you don't finish her questline or something. There are hints throughout Act III that you are supposed to repair her heart by the end of the game, like the part where the Watcher thinks she is a defective Watcher.
Maybe you're right and thruth be told I'd love to have saved her so she could enjoy the life that was stolen from her, but at the same maybe she's the 'greek tragedy' character and her story is the way it is to remind us that life is unfair and more often than not you're dealt a losing hand and all you can do is choose the lesser evil... It's a bit phylosophical, I know, but imo her character and story can't be taken at face value, they gave the character with the most sunny attitude the most tragic and brutal backstory and consequences, that can't be coincidence.

Gale's ending is also kind of a flop. You can either auto-win the final boss fight by letting him kill himself, or he decides to search for the crown that fell in the harbor... which he'll do off screen at some point after the game ends, with you never knowing what happens. Though maybe that's just because of how I completed the final fight. I'm note sure. But it feels like the whole climax of his quest(getting the crown and giving it to Mystra or keeping it for himself) doesn't happen.
I didn't have him in my party so I can't comment on how the final fight plays out with him actively contributing but I can't agree with you with the way his story ends. What would you want us to do? Go underwater in another dungeon, with a krakken boss perhaps, to find the crown and then make the choice? It doesn't make any sense, the game's finished, there's no point giving players agency over something that won't impact the overall story.

It will depend on what will be the canonical ending but it's heavily hinted and built up the story will continue in a sequel, if/when WotC allows it. Maybe Larian has some ideas and intends for some of these characters to return in some shape or form, be it allies, companions or enemies. In this line of thought, Gale's clearly marked to be an enemy in a future story.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
More discussion about the ending and companions:

Maybe you're right and thruth be told I'd love to have saved her so she could enjoy the life that was stolen from her, but at the same maybe she's the 'greek tragedy' character and her story is the way it is to remind us that life is unfair and more often than not you're dealt a losing hand and all you can do is choose the lesser evil... It's a bit phylosophical, I know, but imo her character and story can't be taken at face value, they gave the character with the most sunny attitude the most tragic and brutal backstory and consequences, that can't be coincidence.
That's fair. It definitely fits with her entire tragic arc. Maybe I just feel guilty for giving her false hope the entire time. I never once told her she should return to Avernus to save herself. I was adamant I would save her. When she told me she adored me I wanted to cry.

I didn't have him in my party so I can't comment on how the final fight plays out with him actively contributing but I can't agree with you with the way his story ends. What would you want us to do? Go underwater in another dungeon, with a krakken boss perhaps, to find the crown and then make the choice? It doesn't make any sense, the game's finished, there's no point giving players agency over something that won't impact the overall story.

It will depend on what will be the canonical ending but it's heavily hinted and built up the story will continue in a sequel, if/when WotC allows it. Maybe Larian has some ideas and intends for some of these characters to return in some shape or form, be it allies, companions or enemies. In this line of thought, Gale's clearly marked to be an enemy in a future story.
Because I romanced Gale, him blowing up was never in the cards for me, so I guess the Crown for me was the whole point of his story. And it just trails off. I don't think they had to make the crown fall into the water, is all. Like it could've crashed where you crashed and Gale retrieves it, but it probably would've been too dragged out with him making his decision, you influencing it, the party reacting, etc. So they'd have to leave it unresolved anyway and it wouldn't have changed anything. So yeah, you're right in that it would've derailed the actual ending. It makes me wish they had done end cards or something though.

I don't know about how they would handle a sequel. They certainly set up something with the post-credits scene, though I have no idea what. Some of the potential endings seem pretty disparate so I can't imagine a direct sequel would work, unless they completely disregarded the player's choices.

Reactions: kio

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So this isn't great.

When we wanted to continue our playthrough yesterday, the game would consistently crash when loading at 60%. I elminated the possibility of this being related to my PC by giving the save to my friend.
Next I tried the save that I had loaded before that session, and that worked fine. Then I bisected all the in-between saves, and found the transition point where it went from working to breaking. So, some event caused all my saves starting from a specific point to become un-loadable.
We tried a few things to reproduce the circumstances, but couldn't break the saves again so far.

Anyway, I suggest that everyone should try to load a save every now and again in long sessions, so you avoid the (low but apparently existing) possibility of losing a lot of progress. luckily we only ended up losing about half an hour.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

After 135 hours I finished the game! It was such an incredible experience, though as you progress through the you can start experiencing more bugs but at least for me there was nothing that could break my game. I think I may have completed mostly of the quests (at least the ones I've found).

My favorite act was the second, and it's not that I disliked the third act or something like that, but I found the oppressive mood in act 2 perfect. I was quite satisfied with the ending and except for Halsin, I was attached to all the characters that I recruited. It was nice seeing that group of people who want to kill each other evolving and overcoming whatever differences they had and working together against the big evil.

In my ending Orpheus became a mindflayer and we choose to destroy the Netherbrain and kill the tadpoles this way.

About the companions:

Shadowheart - Her character arc was a nice one. I choose to spare Nightsong and killed her parents, Viconia was killed at the Shar temple as well mostly of the followers.

Lase'zel - It's hard to like her right at the start of the game, she is annoyingly naive but once she starts seeing what her queen truly is she starts being a lot more reasonable. She got the dragons from Orpheus and will be leading a revolt against her queen

Gale - Discovering more and more about his backstory was really cool, and after all he passed he still is devoted to Mystra. He was spared in my ending and decided to pursue the Crown of Karthus to rebuild it gift it to Mystra to regain her favor

Astarion - Another jerk character that you start the game hating him, but he grows more and more as you advanced through his quest. I choose to kill cazador and destroy the ritual, liberating the vampires spawn that were imprisoned down there, though his ending was bittersweet as he has to run and seek shelter as the sun rises in Baldur's Gate

Wyll - Mizora is a bitch, there must be a way to free Wyll from her contract but I wasn't able to do it, so he will be keeping that pair of horns lol. Still was a positive outcome with his father alive and him still choosing to have a life as a demon hunter

Karlach - This one was the sadest, it seems there is no way to save her besides sending her back to Avernus. Her whole quest was sad, if you bring her to kill Gortach she just breaks :(

Jaheira - I didn't played the original games so I'm not attached to her in general, though she was a nice addition. I loved her snark comments and she showed a nice side by getting worried about Minsc

Halsin - I did his quest in act 2 and that was it, I can't comment much more about him

Minsc - Too bad you only get him later in act 3, he was so fun in a dumb way lol. I wish I had more time to spend with him.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
My fight with Orin in Act 3 was something else..

I had to do it 3 times to finally succeed lol

1st attempt = She absolutely shreds my Slayer form and then regular form. (this triggered weird cutscene where the little guy was in tears that I died..... and then my party fights her + the cultists.) She and the cultist shred my party because of those stupid invincibility moves.

So anyways I reload and do the fight again.

2nd attempt = She again shreds my characters slayer form and regular form. But a different cutscene appears this time which has my character alive. Brought back from the dead even tho I was dead after. But then I'm still dead and she + the cultist fight my party. And I used one of my party members to throw Orin off the cliff into the abyss area in that circle. lol. But after winning the fight I couldn't retreat the netherstone since I threw her body off the edge and you need to loot her dagger to fully complete the quest lmao.

So I do it all again...

3rd attempt = After she shreds my Slayer form again.....As my main I cast the epic firewall spell on her and the edge of the wall hit the cultist standing outside the sphere. So hitting them triggered an entire different cutscene this time. And I was actually alive this time and the resurrection scene appeared from a whole different angle. but I finally did finish the fight and kept her in bounds to get the dagger.

I somehow watched 3 different cutscenes in that fight lol. And the proper ending cutscene appeared on my 3rd attempt this time but it wasnt there on the 2nd. Like the game knew I threw her off the edge heh. I think this whole sequence is exclusive to playing as the Dark Urge but I'm not sure. This game is pure insanity. Its so so busted from a sandbox perspective that I was legit shocked/dumbfounded by everything I just experienced while sitting in camp afterwards.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Sounds like we're getting a big update!

They want to expand the Epilogue, starting with Karlach.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Sounds like we're getting a big update!

They want to expand the Epilogue, starting with Karlach.
Hmm. Busy with work turns out to be blessing in disguise. Act 3 performance patch and epilogue improvements sounds great.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have had to take a break after the end of my summer vacation, but before that I spent 120 hours slowly save scumming myself through ACT 1.

The game has to be both one of the most entertaining and one of the most damaging titles to play if you want to outmaneuver every enemy and NPC, fully explore everything and miss out on nothing. I have had to replay hours of content several times due to missing out on great items, such as the conundrum of choosing the negotiated gift or the loot from the hag (solvable by buying the loot at an earlier stage when she was available as a merchant and choosing the negotiated gift later). Another highlight was optimizing trading, stealing, fast talking and killing in the goblin camp. I can't remember having this much fun save scumming a game since Deus Ex: Mankind Divided!

I don't really understand and I am jealous of people who manage to role play the game, accept critical failures in their ability rolls, accept dead party members and so on ... I think I need therapy before being able to play the game like that.

It seems like the most novel aspect of the game is how it reinvents 3d exploration in this type of CRPG. Critical paths and interactions are rarely highlighted, unless you roll difficult perception checks. Teleportation spells and jumping abilities that would be useless in a conventional CRPG can be some of the most useful and interesting abilities in this game. Environments don't come off as checklists, but as detailed 3d spaces with big rewards for noticing details.

After being disappointed with basically all hyped up AAA PC releases in 2023, it fills me with hope and joy to play a masterpiece like BG3!

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
And the camera mod is broken :(
Game is unplayable for me now, I got too used to being able to freely look around. Larian really needs to implement this themselves already.

edit: camera mod is already fixed, same day, good job!

Last edited:
Reactions: d00d3n

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
A few hours into Act II finally. Had another "that escalated quickly" moment in the House of healing, I'm not sure what the other conversation options get you but I had a "Monk" one that somehow convinced Malus Thorm to offer himself up to the sisters, so he climbed on the table and they stabbed him to death in a cinematic. I guess kudos to him for integrity as a teacher?

One of those situations where I was making the same expressions of shock as my Tav :fearful-face:

Also, when Marcus came to kidnap Isobel, I actually contained the situation so well (he started next to my open fist monk and Karlach so that was bad for him) the only Harper death was because Jaheira ice stormed one of them in the face for some reason

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I wrote in the steam thread that I’m kind of having problem with act 3, all I have left are boss fights and I’m getting my ass handed to me! Hell at worst some of my gang die before they even can move. AND I realised that I’m max level so can’t even over level. Not sure what to do. I don’t know I have the will to spend hours refighting the same fights over and over again and failing.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I wrote in the steam thread that I’m kind of having problem with act 3, all I have left are boss fights and I’m getting my ass handed to me! Hell at worst some of my gang die before they even can move. AND I realised that I’m max level so can’t even over level. Not sure what to do. I don’t know I have the will to spend hours refighting the same fights over and over again and failing.
who's giving you trouble and what's your party comp?

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Essentially the bosses for some of the companion quests. I try to fight them but yeah doesn't go well at all. Usually I play with me, rogue, Shadowheart, Lae'zel and for the last one I try different ones.
The fight against Viconia must be one of the hardest one in the game. All of her minions are vulnerable to radiant damage, though Viconia isn't and she has some kind of protection that will damage you when hurt so keep that in mind.

Use the haste spell/potion so you have more actions during the fights just be cautious to not let the effect end as you can get lethargic. If Viconia shapeshifts don't focus your attacks on her, use this time to kill the other enemies, as she can't cast spells while shapeshifted. Other good point is to be careful with that stupid shadow spell they like cast, as they will deal more damage when attacking from shadows.

AOE spells like Wall of Fire also help a lot in this fight.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I am at the beginning of ACT III and I am struggling to keep on playing with the same excitement as in the previous acts.

It seems like the game was well designed for my chosen playstyle of power gaming, save scumming and leaving no stone untouched in the previous acts, but I am now faced with too many densely packed stones and too few offshoots into adventures and dungeons. The huge dips in frame rate despite overpowered hardware makes a kind of bad impression as well.

I still love the game as a whole and will easily rank it at the top end of my GOTY list, but it does not seem like the huge effort from the developer to create complex city environments in Rivington and Baldur's Gate paid off to make the game better.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I am at the beginning of ACT III and I am struggling to keep on playing with the same excitement as in the previous acts.

It seems like the game was well designed for my chosen playstyle of power gaming, save scumming and leaving no stone untouched in the previous acts, but I am now faced with too many densely packed stones and too few offshoots into adventures and dungeons. The huge dips in frame rate despite overpowered hardware makes a kind of bad impression as well.

I still love the game as a whole and will easily rank it at the top end of my GOTY list, but it does not seem like the huge effort from the developer to create complex city environments in Rivington and Baldur's Gate paid off to make the game better.
Yeah it's basically me, too.
The mix of dungeon crawling and plot scenes was perfect in Act 1-2, but unfortunately, and despite the game really trying to mix things up, Baldur's Gate itself is dialog town. And my reading OCD notwithstanding, I prefer my CRPGs a little more 'actiony', for lack of better term.
I mean I'm in front of the brothel and all I know is that it could lead to a fight, but most assuredly will lead to some heavy talking.
The circus was painful for me.

Still yeah, incredible game and I hope I get the urge to play soon.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I havent found act 3 to dialogue heavy, but combat and boss heavy as I talked about. I do agree with d00d3n that I wish I could go on more off shoots more.
I'm sure it will turn into a boss fest, I'm just not at this point. A little worried about it, as the game can be super hard at times.
The fight with the devil and the displacer beast was all kinds of hurt.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Essentially the bosses for some of the companion quests. I try to fight them but yeah doesn't go well at all. Usually I play with me, rogue, Shadowheart, Lae'zel and for the last one I try different ones.
Since you don't specify which companions it is I'll be assuming it's all of them :)

Shadowheart:
I didn't find the fight that hard tbh although I can see why some people struggle with it. Depending on your choices and actions there can be more or less enemies. SH spirits + sanctuary work really well here since there are a lot of low level mobs and it can thin the herd, just stay behind her in a chokepoint. Other than that AoE spells work really well and just let Lae loose.

Wyll:
I don't think theres a boss per se for his quest, unless you're talking about the Iron Throne. Haste is king in that fight. Just run and open the cages first and fight the mobs after. I used Karly in the mid section and she alone could free the prisoners and handle the respawning mobs, I'm guessing you can do the same with Lae
edit: Just remembered there's one ancient dragon midway through his quest in the catacombs, is that it? It release a huge AoE bomb after lifting off but iirc there's a bubble spell that negates the damage, plus you can powerthrough and kill him before he finishes casting it.

Lae'zel:
Her quest is tied to the main one and I'm guessing you're not there yet so I won't spoil.

Karlach:
There's a lot of variables in this fight that will dictate where the fight occurs. Did you deactivate the golems? Did you accept Orin's proposal? If you fight him in the upper part of the keep just remember three critical things: 1- you can destroy the traps; 2- if you're moving make sure not to expend all movement points and have an action available;3- you can throw grenades back (hence why the action mentioned in 2 is needed)

Gale:
No specific boss as far as I know as like Lae'zel his quest is tied to the main one.

Astarion:
That's a nice endless pit you have there, would be a shame if someone shoved you down

All in all I don't think the bosses where too hard and as far as I remember I only had problem with the big boy in the catacombs. If anything I wanted them to be beefier and have more devastating attacks.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm currently mulling over my next playthrough. I'm torn between a Good Dark Urge Rogue/Fighter dual-wielder, or a Tiefling Sorlock, who embraces the tadpole.

I'm hoping Larian will add more subclasses down the line. Aberrant Mind sorcerers would make for the thematically perfect playthrough. Throw in a dash of Great Old One warlock maybe?

So maybe the former would be best for my next run. I know I'm going to be taking Astarion, so I will probably make him a Bard, as it seems to fit him rather well. Then Wyll will go full caster as a Sorlock, and for my last front-liner, I dunno who I'll use. I should use Lae'zel, as I benched her 99% of the time... But Karlach is my favorite companion, and I think she'd make an amazing Vengeance Paladin.