|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, by the way, is the door in the Grimforge seemingly leading to a very dark zone the end of act 1 ?
Asking because I still have a ton to do before that.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Oh, by the way, is the door in the Grimforge seemingly leading to a very dark zone the end of act 1 ?
Asking because I still have a ton to do before that.
If you mean a door after an elevator and a small room with a wizard then yeah.
But you can move freely between act 1 and 2 zones, at least until a certain point.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
If you mean a door after an elevator and a small room with a wizard then yeah.
But you can move freely between act 1 and 2 zones, at least until a certain point.
Ok it wasn't that one, must be close. I'm talking about a door in the main Grimforge map which once you click on it prompts two dwarfs to tell you about the 'darkness' ahead. I suppose it's just before what you are talking about.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Spoilers about about Act 2 Gauntlet Trials/Moonlight Towers: Have to reload a save because freeing Nightsong apparently kills the prisoners in Moonlight Towers. I thought I was doing a good thing seeing the way that sailor moon flew all heroically to the tower. Guess not.

Also I cheese the mountain pass/creche encounter after killing the inquisitor by going to Lathander secret room and just fast travel from there :)

Last edited:
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Late act 2 spoilers

If Gale is in your team when the big reveal happens in act 2 there is an option to him detonate the netherese orb as Mystra asked him to do, and the game considera it an ending, a very bad one, but still and ending

• This!
Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
My biggest screw up was trying and failing to stop Marcus from abducting Isobel. I definitely save scummed that, since he knocked her out after 2 turns, and literally EVERYONE dies if he gets her.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Ok it wasn't that one, must be close. I'm talking about a door in the main Grimforge map which once you click on it prompts two dwarfs to tell you about the 'darkness' ahead. I suppose it's just before what you are talking about.
That's a side activity that leads to some jumping puzzles and unique loot at the end. It's not mandatory, as far as I remember, but well worth it.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
My biggest screw up was trying and failing to stop Marcus from abducting Isobel. I definitely save scummed that, since he knocked her out after 2 turns, and literally EVERYONE dies if he gets her.
Not your fault, happened to me as well. Just a really bad roll of the dice can make that happen. It happened to me on the first turn even.

At least because of that I know that Sanctuary is an essential spell.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Been playing a mix of co-op (about 20 hours in and sorted the goblins) and a solo game.

love that the play throughs have been different. The major beats have been the same, but the details vary. The biggest example is the Gnolls. On my first play through in my solo game the Lead Gnoll spoke to me and had an ilithid parasite, convinced her to eat the two behind the barricades, then her own people and finally to leave.. Whereas on the co-op game it was just a case of a straight up fight with no other options. Not sure why.

Such a great game.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
45 hours later (pretty much two full weekends gone by) I finally finished Act 1.
I wonder when we get to Baldurs Gate itself, in THIS game that city must be so effin huge...

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I'm still only 22 hours in, but so far I have one legitimate design complaint: They nerfed Monks safe fall for no reason I can tell, to be resistance to fall damage rather than reduce the damage by a multiplier of your monk level. I don't think it would have been OP for my monk to take 0 damage instead of 2 jumping off a roof and it would feel way cooler. Legitimately may be something I try to mod in, they already have featherfall so I don't see why slow fall would have been abusable.

There does seem to be an actual bug with monk's deflect missiles as well, it keeps not triggering despite having not used my reaction ability. Weirdly enough the gloves that do the same thing I have on Wyll seem to work correctly.

Been playing a mix of co-op (about 20 hours in and sorted the goblins) and a solo game.

love that the play throughs have been different. The major beats have been the same, but the details vary. The biggest example is the Gnolls. On my first play through in my solo game the Lead Gnoll spoke to me and had an ilithid parasite, convinced her to eat the two behind the barricades, then her own people and finally to leave.. Whereas on the co-op game it was just a case of a straight up fight with no other options. Not sure why.

Such a great game.
For me the combat started, that one dashed to me, and then on their next turn initiated dialogue (despite the fact combat was well underway and they were half dead). Might have something to do with having an action and proximity to the "main" character?

Reactions: thekeats1999

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
End of Act 2 spoilers...Because I did the Balthazar stuff too early the entire INN area went hostile for me in the north of the map. So I went there and killed everyone. All happy I was getting exp but later realized its an actual important story area for Halsin and Isobel etc. lol. So after finishing the main stuff in Act 2...Halsin told me he can't follow me to Baldurs Gate because we didn't lift the curse. Funny all my other companions got all sad and talking to them they were so upset Halsin couldn't follow us any longer. Shaowheart got extra sad because she liked "looking at him" in camp lmao.

Its really neat the way it was written. But before I decided to progress to the next Act...I looked up online if I could do anything. And someone on reddit made a post about going to the INN and using talk to the dead spell on the dead NPC laying near bed. Talking to him actually progressed the Thaniel quest and helped me secure Halsins as a companion. Its kind of amazing. I love how Larian designs the game and quests that let you undo your mistakes. I can't remember if it was Divinity Original Sin 1 or 2 but there was also a way to recover lost quests by talking to the dead.

But in other sad news it turns out I lost out on another companion in the INN area. There is just so much going on in this game. Every little corner of every little area has something meaningful. It is amazing.

So yea the moral of the story in Act 2 and advice to anyone in the middle/start of it right now....don't do the Balthazar/Shadowheart stuff in the dungeon until you fully explored the entirety of the map in Act 2. And I mean entirety. The insides of every area and areas within/around it lol.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Act 3 is extremely janky. I just had my game freeze when Karlach got stuck in the world. There are also situations where objects won't appear until a few seconds after I've entered a new area and T-posing everywhere. It's a Larian game so I was expecting the final leg to be messy. I know it'll get fixed eventually, but it does drag down the experience.

• Sad
Reactions: Panda Pedinte
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Act 3 spoilers

That extraplanar circus is so fun. Like letting a fart so you can distract the djinn and win in the wheel game was so dumb but I was in tears when that option appeared for my bard.

There is also the dryad part where you can choose someone on your party to check if your love is eternal, I choose Shadowheart and in one of the questions she asked how one could win her respect and one of the answers is "farting on a Selunite" lmao.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For me the combat started, that one dashed to me, and then on their next turn initiated dialogue (despite the fact combat was well underway and they were half dead). Might have something to do with having an action and proximity to the "main" character?
This could have been down to the fact I was the host of the game and wasn't near the front lines till later in the battle.

So playing Co-Op vs Solo is a very different experience. I am about 30 hours into the co-op game and 10-12 hours into the solo game. So far I have seen so much more of the companion stories in the Solo game. For example I took Wyll with me for when I grabbed Karlach (he's my main spellcaster at the moment) and there was all the bits about realising he is was conned. Then on returning to camp seeing his Patreon. All of this has sailed me by.

By the looks of it, if you want to get some character interactions in your game I wouldn't go more than 2 players in Co-Op. However still having a blast and the 3 player co-op has been great. I suppose the other way would have been to go for an origin character, but where is the fun in that.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Late Act 3 spoilers

I killed Minsc :(

Is there any way to recruit him? Game didn't leave me the chance, but his death was so unceremonious, that i'm sure there should have been a way

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Late Act 3 spoilers

Is there any way to recruit him? Game didn't leave me the chance, but his death was so unceremonious, that i'm sure there should have been a way
I just did this exact part. You need to knock him out. Click the non-lethal passive, under passives in the menu.

You might need to bring Jaheira along to make sure.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Late Act 3 spoilers

Since you already got the answer, I'll just say it's annoying how "knocking someone out" is basically no different than killing them as far as the game is concerned, especially if in the whole game there are only 2 moments where it actually makes a difference Minsc in Act 3 and the Tiefling Bard if playing Dark Urge
D:OS2 had a special ending if the player character never killed for the whole game. This honestly feels like one of the things that will be improved in a potential Enhanced Edition

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Late Act 3 Spoilers

This bossfight was incredible holy shit

After 70 hours of playing, i started to finally get kinda bored, and then this whole house of hope section leading up to that in the spoilertag above wowed me so much again, i couldn't stop playing.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
No. I couldn't handle how ugly it made me look.
That and some of the powers are pretty OP, I can fly now, which is a huge advantage on battles and exploration. But I'm sticking to my choice. If I can't stand the veins anymore I'll probably install this mod though: Half-illithid without black veins

In Act 3 now and the FOMO for companion quests is getting pretty high. I switched my party according to the quest now. Even though it makes my party pretty unbalanced. Wyll, Astarion, Shadowheart and my bard are my party now. And I'll probably switch to Gale and Jaheira for their quest as well.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm already thinking about my next playthrough. I can't decide if I want to do a Dark Urge Drow Sorlock or a Dragonborn Paladin. Regardless I'm going to wait awhile for patches since Act 3 needs some more attention.
I keep thinking about my next playthrough as well. Dark Urge is tempting, though I don't know if I want to fully embrace it or to fight it. I also want to go full Illithid at some point. All I know for sure is that Astarion will be my next romance. I kind of regret choosing Gale over him for my bard. I think I'm going Sorlock next, as well though. I wish they had put Aberrant Mind sorcerers in, cause it would be so perfect thematically.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So Act 2 was really really big. So many things happened story wise. So many new characters and fights. So much happened in the Journal with quests and side quests, twists, companion updates etc. And I missed out on a bunch of important content too with some of the decisions I made. But the writing continues to be fantastic. I loved it. It was much better than Act 1 imo which was also very good.

I think Larian could have seriously just taken Act 2 and sold it as its own 60$ crpg with 30-40hrs of content + tons n tons of replay value.

I don't know how big Act 3 is as I just started it but if its anywhere as big and as good as Act 2 then fucking hell what a game. wtf.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I came across the first fight where I had to reload multiple times because combat stuff kept not working. Enemies reacting while dazed, my characters NOT reacting even when they should, stuff like that. That stuff still makes a huge difference at level 4

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
There's something to be said about twists that you can see coming, it signals the narrative is coherent enough to warrant a logic construction and some credibility. That being said, the whole world could see Shadowheart's twist coming from 384400 km away...

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I had a similar experience with magical by-products cat things. And Raven.
It's cool, use AoE spell, monsters go boom :grinning-face:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Lol. I just had Shadowheart cast spirit guardians and stand in front of the group. The rats just ran at her and all died straight away.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, a game obviously can't leave players the agency of a game master, but for a couple encounters I would lament a lack of... subtlety ? I mean, jeez, some NPC really don't take well to being said let's slow down and think.
Not a big deal, I have a longsword for those people.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
So I entered act 2....

The green lady from the start intro sequence was just dead on the road. I never found her at the crashed ship nor got a quest to track her down and so i guess i missed something important to do with her.

I assumed she was a key player. Interesting how the game can work this way.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So I entered act 2....

The green lady from the start intro sequence was just dead on the road. I never found her at the crashed ship nor got a quest to track her down and so i guess i missed something important to do with her.

I assumed she was a key player. Interesting how the game can work this way.
Lae'Zel ?

• This!
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Lae'Zel ?
Yep thats the one. (sorry, not good with the names)

In fact, i think i've missed loads. Just scanning some discussions without being spoilt too much i think ive missed or not run into a few extra characters. Im maybe half way through act 2 and my camp has...

Wizard Man - Gale i think
Horny Vampire dude - who i grassed up to the bounty hunter because he was too horny
Warrior women - Dragonheart?
Hell women with weird heart
Guy who turned into a horn guy - Wyll?
A dog.
There was bard guy but he's gone off somewhere
Oh and the druid guy i saved from the goblins

Not bothered as i tend to just stick to the same people in my party but its interesting hearing other players having a totally different run.

Reactions: Li Kao

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I haven't really played much this week. Still re-playing Act II... and surprised that I missed some things on my original run. I'm "close" to the end of the area, but really... there's still a lot to do! I have to do the entire Shar area, get the artifact, and also clear the area with the Kua Toa.

My vacation starts today at 5pm, so I will be spending an unhealthy amount of time with the game again.

Last edited:
  • Evil

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
In fact, i think i've missed loads. Just scanning some discussions without being spoilt too much i think ive missed or not run into a few extra characters. Im maybe half way through act 2 and my camp has...
At a glance you are only missing Lae'Zel. Though I fucking hope your bard guy is
Volo
and I didn't miss a bard ! :grimacing-face:

Do you use the barbarian ? She is so nice, her argumentative skills with a two handed sword is always warming my heart.