|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I am at 90 hours with two regions complete and exploring NW.

Yet there are people who have 100% the game even at 80...

Reactions: QFNS

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Some people have been playing Souls games for nearly a decade now and some people are just good at this genre, it's not surprising they will blast through these games faster than the rest of us. They may have sat there with a guide too.

Me?, i'm just having fun roaming the land exploring, getting my butt kicked and going back to earlier areas to find someone i can beat. I've just beaten my first dragon in a couple of attempts after realising i there's no way i can beat one of those magma spewing assholes that either melts me or 1hit kills me with sword or tail. I don't think it's even a major boss, lol

Reactions: LEANIJA

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
The only game I haven't 100% is DS2. I 100$ both DS1 and DSR, BB and DS3. >.>

Unlike BoTW this games open world is compelling me.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Carian Study Hall spoilers I can't believe they inverted the tower like in Castlevania Symphony of the Night

I have 75 hours in game and I'm still far from finishing it! There are so many places to explore that I don't mind. those people must have thousands of hours in the genre or followed a guide.

Me?, i'm just having fun roaming the land exploring, getting my butt kicked and going back to earlier areas to find someone i can beat. I've just beaten my first dragon in a couple of attempts after realising i there's no way i can beat one of those magma spewing assholes that either melts me or 1hit kills me with sword or tail. I don't think it's even a major boss, lol
Did you fought this one inside a small room? There is other one who in other place that gives you an achievement, and it's a lot more manageable with enough room to maneuver.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
What is up with the madness stuff in the NE part of the NW region? The NPC invader does it all the freaking time lol..never uses their spear.
Which region exactly?

There are some villages that were afflicted with the madness, going by the spells descriptions those incantations originate from Three Fingers so it must be another powerful entity that seeks chaos. Near the church of inhibition in Liurnia are the Frenzy-Flame Tower and the Frenzied Flame Village. On top of that tower there was a big ball of fire that will deal constant fire damage and inflict madness if you're near it. After killing the enemies up the tower it disappeared.

I can't wait until I finish the game and starting reading the theories and see if they align with what I put together.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Which region exactly?

There are some villages that were afflicted with the madness, going by the spells descriptions those incantations originate from Three Fingers so it must be another powerful entity that seeks chaos. Near the church of inhibition in Liurnia are the Frenzy-Flame Tower and the Frenzied Flame Village. On top of that tower there was a big ball of fire that will deal constant fire damage and inflict madness if you're near it. After killing the enemies up the tower it disappeared.

I can't wait until I finish the game and starting reading the theories and see if they align with what I put together.
Church of Inhibition, before that there is a tower? I didn't see =a way up or wrong tower I guess. But yeah NPC invader was rough with that going on as well. I just went elsewhere lol.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, the last boss is something else, even with the OP ash. That's it for Elden Ring and From games for me. I admit Bloodborne 2 would be tempting but everything else can go straight into the trash. Never again until Miyazaki stops smelling his own fart.
Enjoy the game and please excuse my saltiness.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Church of Inhibition, before that there is a tower? I didn't see =a way up or wrong tower I guess. But yeah NPC invader was rough with that going on as well. I just went elsewhere lol.
The tower should be east from the Church of Inhibition

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019

Sounds like me, past 80h and still exploring a third region. I'm dragging out my first playthrough as much as feels good, you can only have that magic the one time after all and i'd rather be here than in a second playthrough or a different game.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Durante

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm far from finishing it, even though I have access to the capital I'm still exploring as I don't think being level 70 in the capital will make my life easy. But I guess you can finish the game with only 2 runes.
I just found it weird the characters said that in the way that they did. I still need to explore the whole east side of the continent and get 2 more shards there, I guess, as I believe there's 5 total.
I might explore the outside of the capital next but not enter the dungeon. I dipped my toe a bit in Caelid and that zone seemed like a bit harder than the area around the capital.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
after more than 10 hours in, Im level 24 and spent a great deal just exploring stuff. I stumbled upon a bunch of story and progression stuff merely by accident, and missed some stuff (like the initial tutorial, lol). friend of mine has been giving me some tips because i also have no clue to to level correctly. anyone have a tip for a farming runes location at that level?

oh and i play a Confessor with a broadsword btw.

I also made some nice progression last night but then decided to take on that Tree Sentinel from the beginning, and managed to wiggle him down a LOT with the good old horse combat tactic of madly riding back and forth and slowly getting him down...but then he killed me, and the subsequent 1000 tries all resulted in death too, and then it was super late in the night and ...yeah. I love this game but man it can be hard indeed. not that that is news to you guys, i know. my souls-like experience so far is just quite limited. a couple hours of dark souls, a bit of DS2...thats basically it (oh and some souls-inspired games)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I cheesed that dude Soooooo hard, lol. Basically i got up high on the cliff behind Varre and gravity bombed Gold Dude and even though his glowy shield blocked some damage i was still getting chip damage. Then he despawned so i ran to the collapsed building alongside the road he walks down and he was still at 50% health so i cheesed him some more and kept at it until he died.

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I cheesed that dude Soooooo hard, lol. Basically i got up high on the cliff behind Varre and gravity bombed Gold Dude and even though his glowy shield blocked some damage i was still getting chip damage. Then he despawned so i ran to the collapsed building alongside the road he walks down and he was still at 50% health so i cheesed him some more and kept at it until he died.
hmm I am all for cheesing :D

just need to find out what gravity bombs are, I guess ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
hmm I am all for cheesing :D
just need to find out what gravity bombs are, I guess ;)
Astrologer/Mage spell. Pulls up rocks and slings them and does "gravity" damage. Useful when used with the "Meteroite Rod" which boosts Gravity damage.
Get above your target and you get a bit of extra range and ooomph it seems.

oh, it's called "Rock Sling", check "Nizar GG" on youtube for their "Ultimate Astrologer Guide" if interested. I'm sure there's newer videos out and people bickering over different builds but i was already doing what he suggests so Rock Sling and Meteorite Staff were all that were new to me and i stopped watching at that point until i "got gud" and was ready for the later stuff.

Reactions: LEANIJA and QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Astrologer/Mage spell. Pulls up rocks and slings them and does "gravity" damage. Useful when used with the "Meteroite Rod" which boosts Gravity damage.
Get above your target and you get a bit of extra range and ooomph it seems.

oh, it's called "Rock Sling", check "Nizar GG" on youtube for their "Ultimate Astrologer Guide" if interested. I'm sure there's newer videos out and people bickering over different builds but i was already doing what he suggests so Rock Sling and Meteorite Staff were all that were new to me and i stopped watching at that point until i "got gud" and was ready for the later stuff.
Rock Sling is really good! It also has a strong amount of poise damage and can frequently be used to help "stun" bosses or big enemies into giving you a chance to run up and get a crit in or heal or whatever. Amazing spell.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I lied ! I played again ! (though my position still stands, fuck this)
But the game must do something right as I thought, hey, might as well search the web for better stuff and look for them. This leading to that, I'm deep in an optional boss region and gained a good 15 levels. Still need two levels to be able to try two famous swords, but a little run where I'm at gives 100,000+, so in two to four runs it should be good.

I still think I have no chance against the last boss, and I have no idea what to use for ranged attacks, but all in all... I lied.

Dec 5, 2018
Explored the easter Limegrave and reached Caelid. I found another Erdtree avatar that used rot I don't like that status effect. Beating it consisted in running every time i saw the status effect coming.
Guess I'll continue exploring the area for now.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Explored the easter Limegrave and reached Caelid. I found another Erdtree avatar that used rot I don't like that status effect. Beating it consisted in running every time i saw the status effect coming.
Guess I'll continue exploring the area for now.
That's the status effect that I hate the most, I keep a spell equipped just to deal with it. The other one I also hate is bleed

Reactions: curi0usBystander

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Anyone else get motion sickness from this game? Never had it from anything except for FPS with low FOV. Dungeons are ok but strafing in the open world and especially on the mount really kills me. I can't play more than an hour at a time right now.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
The ability to pause the game is a heated debate in this game apparently.

Anyone else get motion sickness from this game? Never had it from anything except for FPS with low FOV. Dungeons are ok but strafing in the open world and especially on the mount really kills me. I can't play more than an hour at a time right now.
Try turning off motion blur.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
There are some underdeveloped status ailments that seem to offer nothing new and are there to require yet another different remedy item you usually don't even use in combat but only if you want to reduce the gauge inbetween fights without waiting.. Like madness I just encountered (actually I had seen it before but it never actually affected me before this madness watch tower equivalent I just encountered), all it does is huge instant damage if you let the gauge fill up then it's off. The death thing is the same but instant death if it fills up (I'm not sure if there's a remedy). The rot is just far more potent poison (which is too weak). It's not their most interesting stuff. They could have status effects that have more long term effects like cripple your character's weight limit so you need to change/remove gear or whatever and make it so you need to actually cure it rather than just wait/rest at a site of grace to be good, making items useful. Maybe they could take a good hint from Monster Hunter status effects, now that they've also added things like sleep (I've not encountered it yet).

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah i was initially. The choppy frame rate was doing my head in. It seems to have gone away though as the frame rate gets better the more i play. I did also disable motion blur which may or may not have helped.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
There are some underdeveloped status ailments that seem to offer nothing new and are there to require yet another different remedy item you usually don't even use in combat but only if you want to reduce the gauge inbetween fights without waiting.. Like madness I just encountered (actually I had seen it before but it never actually affected me before this madness watch tower equivalent I just encountered), all it does is huge instant damage if you let the gauge fill up then it's off. The death thing is the same but instant death if it fills up (I'm not sure if there's a remedy). The rot is just far more potent poison (which is too weak). It's not their most interesting stuff. They could have status effects that have more long term effects like cripple your character's weight limit so you need to change/remove gear or whatever and make it so you need to actually cure it rather than just wait/rest at a site of grace to be good, making items useful. Maybe they could take a good hint from Monster Hunter status effects, now that they've also added things like sleep (I've not encountered it yet).
Rot is not new, it's the old Toxic (more potent Poison). Just a new branding.
I actually find madness an interesting status effect that could lead to some neat multiplayer meta but afaik the weapons that have it are pretty bad, at least the ones I've found so far.
Your cripple idea would be too brutal considering you can't pause the game freely to change equipment. There was an effect on DS3 that destroyed armor that I don't know if it's present in ER but it was an environmental hazard, not a combat one.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
This game is gargantuan, I'm only in the swamp area (think that is the second area) and I'm LVL 53.
Every now and again I look at the bottom of the map and think I'm sure I've missed things, so I go back and as sure as Bob there is a cave or section missed. You go to different areas at a different time of day and a new boss will spawn.

Usually after more than a week i get burnt out on a game and want to move on, but with this I think about it at work and am just itching to play when I get home.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Your cripple idea would be too brutal considering you can't pause the game freely to change equipment.
No different to encountering a new status for the first time and so likely not having the remedy items on hand so either finish the given fight as is or escape and sort yourself out accordingly. Would only be really bad if you were already going around at almost the maximum weight so the crippling on top got you over it and disabled dodging altogether. Nowhere near as brutal as curse from Dark Souls either. Don't see what's interesting about madness, it's just a gauge that fills then causes tons of damage. I guess it could mean that weak weapons with that status are actually very powerful for PVP but I don't care for PVP, just speaking for how it is encountered as you play the game, but that possibility itself is also brutal since it means you may encounter madness in places it normally isn't via an invader or similar and thus again don't have remedies prepared and on hand. It's harder to go to the inventory and use an item like that with its animation on top of it vs going to the equipment menu and pressing a button to remove your helmet, gauntlets, alternate weapons, or similar for an instant weight boost after being crippled. But again you'd likely in most situations just finish the mob fight as is and do that on your downtime after realizing what happened then being prepared for it for the rest of that area. Anyway, just a thought for something that has an effect beyond damage over time, instant damage, instant death.

I've gone 80 hours with barely using remedies at all, I got poisoned a few times, madnessed twice from that watch tower (no remedy use here since it goes away after the damage, you need to avoid letting it get you to begin with) never rotted once since it's obvious so far and nothing crazy like blight town or similar areas where you constantly got poisoned, and have yet to even find sleep. I thought those ninja small people throwing smoke bombs are trying to put you to sleep but it seems to just be smoke so I guess I've not seen it. Oh I think I got some ice status effect once or twice and that seemed like a good one, making you slower or something, again not something you'll easily remedy in battle and so far it's not been common to say, get prepared to tackle a given area with that status everywhere, it's only been a couple enemies. In Monster Hunter I usually have to use several remedies in a battle to remove elemental afflictions that make you more prone to damage from that element or the more instantly affecting you things like mud/snow/sleep/whatever hinders your movement and possible actions you can perform. And it feels useful/purposeful and you know you're gonna be encountering that in that battle so have made preparations accordingly, where in Elden Ring even in this volcano area I'm at I've still not needed to use a fireproofing item (which are also far less common I've only been able to make a few), maybe I will to make a boss like magma wyrm easier, that's it, a tiny % of the area and game. Well, there was this area with people throwing oil at you or something which made fire attacks from other enemies much more damaging but again it was a very small area and easy to get by without being hit by either. Why couldn't say, the magma wyrm spew some oil type thing at you with an attack then follow up with the actual fire attacks if you haven't paid attention to undo the former's effect or similar, requiring you to be on your toes like that. But hey I've only done a couple major bosses so far even though I've epxlored the vast majority of the map, maybe they do more interesting things with that stuff but even if the whole game past this point does it will only be a small % of the play time. With all the crafting and the open world it seemed like they'll play that preparation and survival in harsh conditions aspect more.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
How do you guys level up so fast, I'm like only thirty something and yet I have travelled all over the place, but getting owned by all the mobs though.
I play the exact same way... just exploring exploring... but I checked which area I should be in - at around level 30, the peninsula in the South is a good place to be. I just reached 27 because I was wasting time, hellbent on killing the Tree Sentinel...which I did, in multiplayer. was very close to downing Margit, but that didnt happen yet. Will come back when I gain some more levels :)

I just gotta remind myself when I get my ass handed to me that Im not supposed to be in that area yet :)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Elden Ring finished, 102 hours.
I hate the difficulty walls and imho there are a lot of flaws to the game, relative to filler for exemple or the last part of the game, but it was undoubtedly some epic adventure.
The art team should get a raise by the way.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How? Is it even 102 hours since it came out!?
No, I started it 2-3 days after release.
As to how, who needs sleep ?

Me playing it so soon after release may have played a part in my frustration and anger issues (the game is not absolved, far from it). I’m used to play From games months after release when the hardcore have cleared the way and given helpful hints on wikis. That obviously not being the case here brought some more frustration upon the already unforgiving bosses.
The game is too big, leading to a tad too many reuse. Most side bosses are boring. Most main bosses are just beyond my skill zone. People say the balance is not great and STR builds is hard mode upon the already hard game.

And despite all that, I played the game like there is no tomorrow. So I’m forced to admit the game does something really right.

Now if you will excuse me, I have another boss to fight, fixing my sleep schedule :p

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'll put this in a spoiler in case people want to be puzzled themselves, but this was an instance I was glad for the online messages. I don't think even the developer placed one would have given me the answer to this. Nothing essential behind it, but still.

So apparently this game has puzzles that you solve with Gestures?!?!?!? That's feels like a new one for a souls game. I don't ever remember doing something like that before. Also the way I got that gesture was pretty random helping some nobody NPC, some of these are gonna be impossible given how easy it is to miss NPCs in this game.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The game recently really surprised me... twice in a row within less than 30 minutes.

Mid-game (?) spoilers:

1. I went back to the Church of Vows to learn from the greatest NPC in any Souls game ever, and suddenly a huge boss attacked me.
2. Then shorty after that I warped to the round table and instead of the usual tranquil area was attacked in a dark and scary version of it.

This was especially scary since both were some of the most generally "safe" areas I return to relatively frequently, and both were suddenly the opposite. Well played From.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
A little help from those who finished it or spoiled themselves on the endings.

So I just beat the 2nd major dungeon, which was lovely, and explored all of Liurnia. I now have 2 shards and after returning to Roundtable the fingers told me to go to the capital and become a lord.
Before I screw myslef on an ending I don't want, what will happen if I go to the capital and defeat whatever dungeon and bosses are there? Does the game end?
no. You can finish that area without worries. The game will ask you if you are ready when you're at the point of no return.

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Taking a break for a day or so from Elden Ring -- the game is just too big. I've put in 60 hours, am probably halfway through, and getting fatigued. The game is still amazing, but there is just SO MUCH of it. I wanted to see absolutely everything, but some of it can wait until NG+, I think. It's impressive how people have just powered through to finish it!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I finally decided to have a go at Margit and wrecked him. I am lvl 40 and used my jellyfish summon to keep him occupied while i threw rocks at him.
Was a nice change coming from exploring areas where i get 1-hit killed, now to explore this castle like everyone else did hours and hours ago.