News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm very excited for the new Phoenix Point DLC.
Maybe they'll even eventually fix some of the broken game play mechanics and I can buy the complete bundle on Steam and get a working, fun game.

Also:
BL3 coming on march 13

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
yeah really hope that by the time it releases on Steam , its quircks and problems will be sorted out .... tried like 2 hours on gamepass last month but still kinda gave up as it felt like Early Access more than anything
Yeah me too. Game Pass is really nice to try out some stuff.
A Paid demo service... unbelievable.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
yeah really hope that by the time it releases on Steam , its quircks and problems will be sorted out .... tried like 2 hours on gamepass last month but still kinda gave up as it felt like Early Access more than anything
Same, it felt like they'd done no real testing or balancing.

Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Same, it felt like they'd done no real testing or balancing.
Why bother? Community will do that for them in time for Steam release. That seems to be the attitude for a lot of these mid-tier PC only EGS-exclusive developers. At least some developers are honest enough to call their titles Early Access.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
That is something I did not expect. To have reselling keys generated for different stores. Gotta keep an eye on that one when I buy something..
This is not a new thing. I once bought a TellTale key from GMG, and I could not get a refund after I noticed that it was not a Steam key.

Similarly, Humble sometimes sells GOG keys.

Reactions: C-Dub and LEANIJA

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Fanatical and GMG are now selling Metro Exodus steam keys, Humble still has Epic ones.
How does stuff like this work? Is Humble getting keys directly from the publisher? Is Deep Silver exchanging keys because people are more likely to buy Steam Keys over EGS keys?
That would be interesting...

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
How does stuff like this work? Is Humble getting keys directly from the publisher? Is Deep Silver exchanging keys because people are more likely to buy Steam Keys over EGS keys?
That would be interesting...
Epic and Humble have a partnership. Devs (except Take Two) can only sell EGS games directly from EGS or through Humble. Steam keys can obviously be sold everywhere, so Deep Silver jumped on that and is now selling Metro Exodus at their regular 3rd party sellers the only way they’re allowed to, with Steam keys.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Epic and Humble have a partnership. Devs (except Take Two) can only sell EGS games directly from EGS or through Humble. Steam keys can obviously be sold everywhere, so Deep Silver jumped on that and is now selling Metro Exodus at their regular 3rd party sellers the only way they’re allowed to, with Steam keys.
No, EGS keys have been sold on GMG and Fanatical, too. That's still the case - and not just for T2 games. For example:

Reactions: ISee and m_dorian

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Either the stores requested Steam keys, or the publisher switched them over knowing there's more demand for Steam keys.

Regardless, another big L for Epic. People just don't want this fucking store

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Either the stores requested Steam keys, or the publisher switched them over knowing there's more demand for Steam keys.

Regardless, another big L for Epic. People just don't want this fucking store
Exactly. This is an absolute gutpunch for Epic, making it clear there is next to no need or demand for the EGS.
I really wish Epic will eventually take the right lesson from this and just make a decent store instead of moneyhatting exclusives. But I'm not counting on it.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I don't even care about moneyhats anymore. EGS has taught me a valuable lesson about FOMO: it's bullshit.

Exclusives rely on people's fear of missing out. Once you discard it, once you're happy to wait a year or accept you may never play the game, it becomes complete ineffective as a sales tactic.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I don't even care about moneyhats anymore. EGS has taught me a valuable lesson about FOMO: it's bullshit.

Exclusives rely on people's fear of missing out. Once you discard it, once you're happy to wait a year or accept you may never play the game, it becomes complete ineffective as a sales tactic.
That is very true. There is no game i need on day one and what with all the patches and goty editions and dlc i find you are so much better off waiting for a bit. You get a cheaper price, a more stable/patched up game and more content.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That is very true. There is no game i need on day one and what with all the patches and goty editions and dlc i find you are so much better off waiting for a bit. You get a cheaper price, a more stable/patched up game and more content.
plus it's not like PC gamers in general weren't already used to having to wait for games anyway :p things might've changed recently (VERY recently) ... but before that we all had to wait years for console games to get PC ports anyway

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Even if you ignore every money hatted game completely, there are still more great games to play on pc than you have time to play them all.

It still makes me very sad what Epic is doing to pc gaming, but it barely affects my gaming experience. I'm just playing other games instead

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Sasuga Epic.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It has hurt my gaming a little bit as there are games exclusive to EGS that are right up my alley like Satisfactory, Control, Blands 3, Bloodroots, Outer Wilds and What the Golf.

However, I only have one rule: don't buy on EGS. Which seems to be paying off a little bit as I will have more time for my Steam games and EGS exclusives are releasing on Steam with a discount.

A problem for Epic though is that there are some freebies that I would like to play that I only have on Epic, like TABS, but I completely forget I have the game on EGS. Any freebie I only have on EGS I completely forget about which is why I bought Yooka Impossible Lair and Horace on Steam despite having it for free on EGS.

Even standalone games like Magic the Gathering and FFXIV (downloaded free trial yesterday) I don't forgot, but EGS games I do forget I have.

So basically, if the game is not on Steam or GOG, I forget it exists.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
It has hurt my gaming a little bit as there are games exclusive to EGS that are right up my alley like Satisfactory, Control, Blands 3, Bloodroots, Outer Wilds and What the Golf.
I have to say, that's an impressively broad taste in game genres. Kudos! I've never been able to truly enjoy management games.

Reactions: C-Dub and Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I like pretty much everything except for MOBA. :p
Kudos for having such a wide taste! I don't like MOBA's either, and sports games or loot games (Destiny etc) aren't my cup of tea. But I've enjoyed games in every other genre out there. I love to play as many different games as possible.

My age is starting to show tho; repetitive gameplay or games that are holding your hand too much are annoying me more and more. That's one of the reasons why I've been playing more indie games than AAA the past few years. Smaller studios is where fresh ideas are born nowadays.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
So... uh... did we get any "exciting news" from Epic at PAX, or what?
I'm totally fine with it if that means no Epic exclusives.

I'm still worried about Horizon Zero Dawn being Epic exclusive (6 months to a full year) though.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
to be fair - i'm pretty sure Tim meant GDC ... that's what they did last year, remember? they had that "conference" where they bragged about Metro selling so well etc.
GDC's been cancelled but that does not mean there won't be GDC news. You don't need to be physically there to write a press release.

I'm going to be quite upset if it turns out true. I don't want to give too much money to Epic.

Reactions: lashman and Arsene

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
then don't ;) all you have to do is wait a little
The problem is I really don't like waiting when the game is technically available on PC. That's why I caved in and bought Detroit, Control or The Outer World.

I'm not even going to pretend I won't do the same for Horizon Zero Dawn. That's a day one purchase even on EGS.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm still worried about Horizon Zero Dawn being Epic exclusive (6 months to a full year) though.
Only HZD would be good news. An exclusive partnership between Sony and Epic for multiple games would be much worse. This would lead millions of people to EGS.

Not saying this is gonna happen (HZD releasing ln pc in February was a false rumor as well). But if I was CEO of EGS, I would gladly spend a huge part of my war chest to make such a deal. With many big publishers refusing to go EGS exclusive, and former EGS supporters like Annapurna returning to Steam, Epic may even need a deal this big to stay relevant.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The problem is I really don't like waiting when the game is technically available on PC. That's why I caved in and bought Detroit, Control or The Outer World.

I'm not even going to pretend I won't do the same for Horizon Zero Dawn. That's a day one purchase even on EGS.
You didn't use game pass for Outer Worlds like the rest of us? :p

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
You didn't use game pass for Outer Worlds like the rest of us? :p
No, I want to support the devs to the best of my ability even if that means enriching Epic to some degree.
Basically if a game is available on Steam that's where my purchase will be, like Death Stranding but in case of EGS exclusivity then I reluctantly buy it there.

Ge0force :
Aren't they already in some sort of partnership ? Nothing would theoretically prevent Sony from putting Predator on Steam...

Unfortunately you are right about Epic's options....Go big or go home. I can imagine there are discussions between Sony and Epic at this very moment.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
No, I want to support the devs to the best of my ability even if that means enriching Epic to some degree.
Basically if a game is available on Steam that's where my purchase will be, like Death Stranding but in case of EGS exclusivity then I reluctantly buy it there.
Wouldn't playing TOW through gamepass be supporting them more? Take Two gets your money on EGS, But MS would get a cut of the money if it went to GamePass.

MS owns Obsidian so they'd be the ones bankrolling Obsidian in the future, I doubt a lot if any of the profits of TOW are going directly to Obsidian.

Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Wouldn't playing TOW through gamepass be supporting them more? Take Two gets your money on EGS, But MS would get a cut of the money if it went to GamePass.

MS owns Obsidian so they'd be the ones bankrolling Obsidian in the future, I doubt a lot if any of the profits of TOW are going directly to Obsidian.
Also, unless a game sells past the advance then 100% goes to Epic so you're not helping the developer at all.

When something goes exclusive, the best thing you can do is buy a non-EGS version.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Ah okay.

Personally, I don't care about the dev cut and such, when I wanna buy something I think about what I get out of it, not the developer. Might be egoistic of me, but Im the customer, so I come before the devs.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'm done caring about the dev's cut, especially after years and years of game companies showing unlimited greed. DLC, day one DLC, (multiple) seasons passes, microtransactions, subscriptions, loot boxes & other gambling mechanics, exclusivity deals, telling us to use a shit launcher just so they get a bit more money from their sales... all they think of is their profit.
Enough's enough. My sympathy with most devs and especially publishers has ended a long time ago.