News Epic Games Store

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
People should stop expecting games to be EGS exclusive. Games will be exclusive when it's announced.

People went around expecting, even "begging" for Horizon Zero Dawn to be EGS exclusive. It isn't.

People thought Avengers was gonna be EGS exclusive or Square were gonna make their own launcher for it. It isn't exclusive.

From what I've read on Twitter, EGS freebies deals has nothing to do with other games from the same dev/pub.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
People across forums on the Web. People love bringing console war-style trolling to the PC community.
I've seen a lot over at the Resetera forums in particular. Pathetic to say the least.
The Witcher 3 sales thread was highly entertaining as well.

The PC platform being very much thriving seems to ruffle quite a few feathers especially from those fragile plastic warriors.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I wonder if it sold that bad that they didn't manage to recoup the exclusivity money so now it's free to get another cash injection from Epic.
This is very likely. Last thing Epic needs is devs going out of business after going EGS exclusive. But this definitely wasn't the reason for WWZ going free right before the exclusivity deal ends. Epic probably wants to cripple sales on Steam even more.

Reactions: Alexandros

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
And was unanimously declared "shit" by French video game medias.
Well, i bought it last year when it was cheap in sale and it was ok, not "shit". It is a light horror walking sim with good graphics. Seeing it now as totally devalued is interesting. I hope the devs learned something.

I guess no one will buy it now once it will release on Steam.

Reactions: Ruvon and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
This is very likely. Last thing Epic needs is devs going out of business after going EGS exclusive. But this definitely wasn't the reason for WWZ going free right before the exclusivity deal ends. Epic probably wants to cripple sales on Steam even more.
could go badly if you choose the wrong game. Dunno about WWZ and definitely not Close to the sun, but if a game is free less than a month before it releases on Steam and then does gangbuster on Steam.. it would be the final nail in the coffin for the Image and Narrative of the EGS.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
could go badly if you choose the wrong game. Dunno about WWZ and definitely not Close to the sun, but if a game is free less than a month before it releases on Steam and then does gangbuster on Steam.. it would be the final nail in the coffin for the Image and Narrative of the EGS.
i can guarantee you Close to the Sun won't do gangbusters on steam :p

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
i can guarantee you Close to the Sun won't do gangbusters on steam :p
Yup. Generally mediocre games don't do so hot a year after exclusivity started. At this point taking another fat stack from Epic is probably the most financially prudent thing for the developer/publisher to do in this instance.

Reactions: Shahem and lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
New EGSxclusive.

A game, in a genre that does not have many new entities but is beloved by many people is exclusive to Epic?
I'm shocked about how clever the idea is. This has never been tested before and will surely work out great for the devs*.

*It won't

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
You know, the only title that still stings for me is Heart Machine's. They never should have signed :/.

Reactions: lashman

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
New EGSxclusive.

I'm a huge Offworld Trading Company fan, not a big Civ fan (4X games get old fast). I wish Soren the best of luck but this new game doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
That said, I hope he talks about it on his Designer Notes podcast (or similar medium) since it should be pretty interesting.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Reactions: ISee and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It's clearly running out of gas. Care to tell me the big 2020 EGS exclusive thus far ?

None. Last year Control, The Outer Worlds + Quantic Dream games to name a few.
Well they normally used the PCGamingShow at E3 to show how many titles they gobbled up, and the entire industry has had to reconfigure given the covid outbreak, so they may be sitting on some things but are waiting for an industry showcase to do so. Then again, If other devs don't know what they're doing when it comes to announcements (WB, a media empire),I can't imagine Epic is any better off in this regard.

Also, those games their publishing from the ground up, they'll be a ways off since full scale development likely hasn't been underway on any of them for more than a year
edit: Maneater is suppose to be out soon, but im I think I'm one of like 3 people on here and the other site that are looking forward to it.

Reactions: Shahem

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
No E3 or Gamescom for them to brag about exclusivity so I do wonder how they'll go about announcing big exclusives - if they have any left lol.

At this point I just expect Epic to shift torwards just funding games instead of buying exclusivity, which is fine.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Well they normally used the PCGamingShow at E3 to show how many titles they gobbled up, and the entire industry has had to reconfigure given the covid outbreak, so they may be sitting on some things but are waiting for an industry showcase to do so. Then again, If other devs don't know what they're doing when it comes to announcements (WB, a media empire),I can't imagine Epic is any better off in this regard.

Also, those games their publishing from the ground up, they'll be a ways off since full scale development likely hasn't been underway on any of them for more than a year
edit: Maneater is suppose to be out soon, but im I think I'm one of like 3 people on here and the other site that are looking forward to it.
Right, I forgot about Covid-19. The less EGS exclusives the better.
And those who want to buy from Epic instead of Valve can still do so regardless.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ma
No E3 or Gamescom for them to brag about exclusivity so I do wonder how they'll go about announcing big exclusives - if they have any left lol.

At this point I just expect Epic to shift torwards just funding games instead of buying exclusivity, which is fine.
When is the next Steam event that isn't a sale? I feel like that would get them the most exposure AND do it under the nose of the 'enemy'.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
With a stick.

The only thing that has changed since the Epic store launched is that now we have Xbox games on Steam, PS4 games on Steam and they're starting to hold fucking digital conventions on Steam with Demos, panels and stuff.

So yeah... it's working.
If beating Steam means more Sony games on PC.

Then I hope Epic beats Steam.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I was surprised to read on the other forum that EGS only released 7 (seven!) exclusive games so far this year. No wonder they did another round of coupon giveaways earlier this year. Half of the games in their top selling list are Ubisoft games sold at dumping prices. 😊

"Beat Steam" in what way?
I guess Epic expects/expected devs and publishers to dump Steam for EGS because of their perks for developers (higher cut, free engine, free cross-platform features etc). Remember how Sweeney said the "store war" will be decided by developers and not by us as consumers?

Luckily, so far this hasn't worked out for them except for Ubisoft and 2K.

The only thing that has changed since the Epic store launched is that now we have Xbox games on Steam, PS4 games on Steam and they're starting to hold fucking digital conventions on Steam with Demos, panels and stuff.
And yet we have "journalists" claiming we have Epic to thank for this 🙄

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I was surprised to read on the other forum that EGS only released 7 (seven!) exclusive games so far this year. No wonder they did another round of coupon giveaways earlier this year. Half of the games in their top selling list are Ubisoft games sold at dumping prices. 😊

I guess Epic expects/expected devs and publishers to dump Steam for EGS because of their perks for developers (higher cut, free engine, free cross-platform features etc). Remember how Sweeney said the "store war" will be decided by developers and not by us as consumers?

Luckily, so far this hasn't worked out for them except for Ubisoft and 2K.

And yet we have "journalists" claiming we have Epic to thank for this 🙄

That PC World article is unbelievably dumb. Truly painful to read.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That PC World article is unbelievably dumb. Truly painful to read.
It is, especially because the amount of concurrent RDR2 players on Steam was multiple times higher by the time that article was published. And claiming that Epic has anything to do with EA returning to Steam is drain journalism at its best '

But for some reason, non-gaming focused pc and tech sites keep writing this kind of nonsense articles. I wonder how many of them are written by Epic-sponsored authors.