News Epic Games Store

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't really think Epic has a "long term" beyond the publishing deals.
Once fortnite dies off, and they're left with Rocket League and an engine, we might see further internal IPs come out again, since publishing won't sustain them on its own.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is far from bad news by itself if that was the assumption. Raising money isn't a thing that happens to failing companies as far as I know and Epic isn't that by any stretch of the imagination. I'd wager it's mostly investment for their next projects or people wanting in on FN's revenue.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This is far from bad news by itself if that was the assumption. Raising money isn't a thing that happens to failing companies as far as I know and Epic isn't that by any stretch of the imagination. I'd wager it's mostly investment for their next projects or people wanting in on FN's revenue.
Agreed. This may even be related to Epic's recently announced publishing label. I wouldn't be surprised if they are going after the most popular independent developers to get full control (and probably exclusivity) of their games.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Agreed. This may even be related to Epic's recently announced publishing label. I wouldn't be surprised if they are going after the most popular independent developers to get full control (and probably exclusivity) of their games.
I'm not sure how I feel about that last part. You'd think that funding games from the beginning would be a good thing but given the anti-competitive practices and the overall operating mindset over at Epic, I'm not really looking forward to it. I mean, we are talking about a corporation that wants to appropriate part of the PC's beating heart in order to get themselves a monopoly. Doesn't look very good from my standpoint.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm not sure how I feel about that last part. You'd think that funding games from the beginning would be a good thing but given the anti-competitive practices and the overall operating mindset over at Epic, I'm not really looking forward to it. I mean, we are talking about a corporation that wants to appropriate part of the PC's beating heart in order to get themselves a monopoly. Doesn't look very good from my standpoint.
My thoughts exactly. In theory, it's perfectly fine for Epic to fund and publish brand new games. But I dislike so many things that company is doing, that it's very unlikely that I'll be buying these games. I'm done supporting shitty companies with my money.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If they are taking that risk from day 1, then fine. If they are not experienced at publishing or make Epic-style choices they will have a pile of stinkers or overbudgeted and forever-delayed titles. And maybe even a few good games that are on the Epic Games Store.

One of the big issues with third party exclusivity is that they are cherry-picking the games that look appealing to them when the element of risk is not as significant. It's kinda scummy and feels like a cheap way to buy a place at the table. I'm not going to begrudge Epic or a developer any success if they fund a third party game that does well.

If they are funding games from day one, it is potentially more expensive and time consuming, and nothing may ever materialise. They're investing in games and developers and their business.

If they want to do that, go ahead. They will soon have to face the realities of being a publisher, and the financial implications of that, for better or worse.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
actually - yes, it is ... no, really
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Holy fucking shit

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You have got to be joking :(. How does a company with such superb engineers and artists manage this feat of not-engineering?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Holy fucking shit
well it's not running the entire thing, lol ... but i believe the launcher IS built in UE4

Reactions: C-Dub and ISee

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
well it's not running the entire thing, lol ... but i believe the launcher IS built in UE4
T-that's even worse

A launcher running through a gaming engine lord almighty what the actual fuck. No wonder they can't add anything to this barebones piece of shit, they probably need actual game devs to do that and they're all busy in the Fortnite torture dungeon.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Ah, that's not the same thing at all. The engine has a UI framework and it makes complete sense for them to reuse what they have. The question is what's responsible for the mind-boggling 30% gpu usage there. I'd like more info but I sure as hell won't be installing it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Wonder if VBlank died or something lol. Shakedown Hawaii will be done with it's 1 year exclusivity on may 7th and nothing from VBlank devs. They haven't even uploaded the new Steam library pics or anything and their Twitter hasn't had an activity since january 4th.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
The problem with the EGS Launcher is that it's limited to 60fps. On a 120/144hz screen it's really not ideal.
You can check with FRAPS.

The result is a launcher that is not great to scroll.

For reference it uses 16% of my 2070 but obviously shuts down when a game is running.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ah, that's not the same thing at all. The engine has a UI framework and it makes complete sense for them to reuse what they have. The question is what's responsible for the mind-boggling 30% gpu usage there. I'd like more info but I sure as hell won't be installing it.
I mean, UE4, even with a ui framework isn't intended for something like a store front, and would have a ton of overhead that creating something from the ground up for the purposes of the EGS would not have.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I mean, UE4, even with a ui framework isn't intended for something like a store front, and would have a ton of overhead that creating something from the ground up for the purposes of the EGS would not have.
It might not have, it depends on how the whole thing is built. The overhead of many UI frameworks is massive nowadays and the memory occupancy of most launchers reflects that. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing unless, well, it makes your GPU heat up the room for merely displaying a UI. Sounds like a bug, but an irritating one that shouldn't be there in a product that shipped over a year ago.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I wonder if Epic bought a couple of ubi games in advance, as a pack so to speak. No idea what other reason there could be to keep those Uplay + Epic deals going tbh. It doesn't seem to benefit EGS at all.
Unless the strategy is good old spite. Which wouldn't be the biggest surprise with a CEO like Tim.
But why? Is their Unreal Engine Asset Store thing also running on the engine itself and did they use it as a foundation for EGS?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
But why? Is their Unreal Engine Asset Store thing also running on the engine itself and did they use it as a foundation for EGS?
you mean the launcher they had before egs? if so then yes ... it's still the same launcher really ... they just added games to it after egs launched

Reactions: C-Dub and ISee

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I wonder if Epic bought a couple of ubi games in advance, as a pack so to speak. No idea what other reason there could be to keep those Uplay + Epic deals going tbh. It doesn't seem to benefit EGS at all.
Ubisofts goal is to push pc gamers towards uPlay. That's probably the only reason. They are only releasing on EGS to reach a casual audience that doesn't know what uplay is. Seeing how the top selling list on EGS is filled with Ubisoft titles each week, this seems to work out really well for them.

What we don't know is how many sales Ubisoft is missing from skipping Steam. I don't think Epic's lower cut makes up for that loss, but I guess Ubisoft is playing the long game here.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I mean, Epic probably needs all the exclusive deals they can get with how they are faring 2020. :shrugblob:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
After seeing Shenmue 3 being on #1 on EGS top seller list for 2-3 weeks after the release Im not sure how trustworthy the top seller list actually is considering the game sold terrible on PS4 everywhere.
Agreed. We also don't know if the list shows most copies sold or revenue. And the list is manual input, so Epic can push the narrative they want.
Ubi will learn the same lesson EA learned.
I definitely hope so. 😊

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
After seeing Shenmue 3 being on #1 on EGS top seller list for 2-3 weeks after the release Im not sure how trustworthy the top seller list actually is considering the game sold terrible on PS4 everywhere.
What if it is reflective of how overall sales are on the EGS at that period :V

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
here's hoping :p but i doubt it
I'd LOVE to know how many people are buying games on EGS nowadays, without coupons or big exclusives.

Looking at posts and comments on popular games forums and websites, it seems many people aren't even aware that Epic still has exclusive games, because most of these games haven't been advertised on Steam before.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I'd LOVE to know how many people are buying games on EGS nowadays, without coupons or big exclusives.
Scenario: global pandemic that is forcing a whole lotta people to stay at home

Steam: Breaks visible records and is probably drowning in money
EGS: crickets besides people mentioning the worst Just Cause game is free

If the EGS was doing great, they'd gloat. A lot.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Scenario: global pandemic that is forcing a whole lotta people to stay at home

Steam: Breaks visible records and is probably drowning in money
EGS: crickets besides people mentioning the worst Just Cause game is free

If the EGS was doing great, they'd gloat. A lot.
To be fair, I heard about Industries of Titan too. But it's a really unfinished and still buggy game, as good as it seems to be.

As I said to one of the (french) artist working on the game, I'll be happy to buy it when it will be finished.
I won't pay 25 bucks (ok, you can make it 15 with all the coupons Epic is giving to everyone all the time) for a game in this actual state of development, regardless of EGS.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
They haven't given coupons a way for a while. Last coupon was in december I think and if you still have one it ends on may 1st.
Ok, I heard people talking about buying Industries of Titan for 15 with a coupon, so I assumed they were still giving away coupons everywhere.

I never installed the launcher, bought a game or claimed a free game on EGS.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
There long term
Ok, I heard people talking about buying Industries of Titan for 15 with a coupon, so I assumed they were still giving away coupons everywhere.

I never installed the launcher, bought a game or claimed a free game on EGS.
I think if you didn't use your coupon from the christmas/whatever sale it's still valid till May.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
lashman 's revelation that EGS runs on Unreal Engine 4 and the ensuing blown minds made this entire thread worth everything, lol.

What if it is reflective of how overall sales are on the EGS at that period :V
Let's think about that. Wouldn't you want games like Control, or Afterparty or Hades to be pushed up to the top if they sold well?

I have no reason to doubt that Shenmue 3 is the highest-selling game on EGS. Borderlands 3 released two months earlier, and Sweeney and Pitchford are bros. You'd think they'd want to stretch Borderlands marketing, as that's their biggest game, right?

It is, especially because the amount of concurrent RDR2 players on Steam was multiple times higher by the time that article was published. And claiming that Epic has anything to do with EA returning to Steam is drain journalism at its best '

But for some reason, non-gaming focused pc and tech sites keep writing this kind of nonsense articles. I wonder how many of them are written by Epic-sponsored authors.
Again, libertarian tech bros gotta look out for each other.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019

Looking at posts and comments on popular games forums and websites, it seems many people aren't even aware that Epic still has exclusive games, because most of these games haven't been advertised on Steam before.
I do find it kind of funny when someone says 'hey im really looking forward to xxxxx game' and then someone else responds saying 'its already been out for 4 months on the eggs'

🥚 :p

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
To be fair, I heard about Industries of Titan too. But it's a really unfinished and still buggy game,
That's why it's Early Access :)

I actually don't mind devs limiting EA to a single storefront, as long as the final release isn't involved in an exclusivity deal.

Reactions: Ruvon