News Epic Games Store

Deleted member 113

There's a quiet little voice somewhere inside me that always laughs out loud when EGS users are having issues. 😇
Nah, don't be like that. :)

People deserve to get what they paid for, in working order, and good support, no matter the platform or store they use.
Let's not confuse shitty companies (both the store owner, and the developer and publisher of the game), with people like you and me who spent their hard-earned money on something, and now have to deal with this crap. ;)

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Nah, don't be like that. :)

People deserve to get what they paid for, in working order, and good support, no matter the platform or store they use.
Let's not confuse shitty companies (both the store owner, and the developer and publisher of the game), with people like you and me who spent their hard-earned money on something, and now have to deal with this crap. ;)
I'm aware of that. That's why it's only a quiet little voice inside me. 😉

I do wish people would think twice before supporting shitty companies of course . But it's not my place to judge them.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It'll be a learning experience for them at any rate. Though I do feel sorry for them.

But it's no surprise that the kinds of developers and publishers who would do EGS exclusivity will fuck over the people who followed them there in the first place, if only by treating them as an afterthought.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Predator: Hunting Grounds is out today on EGS and PS4 and no talk anywhere online where I can see, seems like a dead game on both platforms, or at least it will be dead in a week or 2.

Everything points out Sony was just looking for a quick paycheck for Predator and Readyset Heroes (yes, that game came out a while ago on EGS and PS4 and not a single mention of it anywhere) as they released it on Epic while actually wanting the PC playerbase with Horizon on Steam.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Predator: Hunting Grounds is out today on EGS and PS4 and no talk anywhere online where I can see, seems like a dead game on both platforms, or at least it will be dead in a week or 2.

Everything points out Sony was just looking for a quick paycheck for Predator and Readyset Heroes (yes, that game came out a while ago on EGS and PS4 and not a single mention of it anywhere) as they released it on Epic while actually wanting the PC playerbase with Horizon on Steam.
Not surprising. People on reddit and era were trashing the beta pretty hard. Didnt look like Sony had any faith in it

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Thanks to dex3108 for posting this at Era.
I don't think talking about cross-posting to other places is really healthy.

Regarding the article, I think it's pretty bad as usual.

There's a whiff of a crusade about the whole thing, especially in Epic's willingness to forego some Fortnite installs on Android and to invest heavily in building a Steam challenger, even in the face of some pretty significant -- though arguably deeply misguided -- public anger about its policy of securing exclusives for the Epic Games Store.
[...]
If a company as determined and deep-pocketed as Epic Games, wielding a game as popular as Fortnite as a bludgeon, cannot force even a momentary reconsideration of the revenue share, then it seems extremely unlikely that anyone else will be able to.
Emphasis mine. Completely misses the problem with exclusivity practices on PC, an open platform. It also calls the EGS a Steam challenger, which would imply that Epic was in the business of actually competing instead of removing products from the PC ecosystem.

This article seems to be more of the same, sticking to the cut argument which is disingenuous at best.

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Emphasis mine. Completely misses the problem with exclusivity practices on PC, an open platform. It also calls the EGS a Steam challenger, which would imply that Epic was in the business of actually competing instead of removing products from the PC ecosystem.

This article seems to be more of the same, sticking to the cut argument which is disingenuous at best.
My eyes rolled at that bit

BUT

this article has some gold in it

Ultimately, 30% is probably here to stay simply because it's the share that's been established, proving lucrative enough to keep the platform holders happy while also seemingly not blocking content creators from making enough to be successful -- and ironically, Epic's attempt to hold Fortnite outside that system may ultimately have done nothing but cement the dominance of that 30% share, by proving just how much value the Google Play store actually adds even on a platform where side-loading is possible, and for a game which has its own powerful brand. That Epic is putting Fortnite onto the Google Play store and accepting the 30% revenue cut seems to suggest that it recognises -- however begrudgingly -- that being in the Google Play store adds at least that much value to its offering.

No matter how angrily worded Epic's statements may be, in backing down the company has done little but prove Google's point, without Google itself ever needing to say a word.
WELL WELL WELL HOW HATH THETH TABLETH TURNETH

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The PC Gaming Show will return on June 6, 2020 and will once again be sponsored by Epic Games:

And there is the answer for why we havent heard anything on new games.

I wonder if it'll just be the same host doing Zoom calls with devs and showing trailers and gameplay clips or maybe more like the original talk show with a desk and people in a chair (assuming there are any in-person bits at all). I think the original talk show format could be pulled off in a SpaceGhost C2C kinda way, where devs are shown on a monitor on the host's desk talking to him.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

No big EGS exclusives please.
You know, I look at all the games released on Steam this week, and the diversity of genres (XCOM: Chimera Squad, Trials of Mana, Dragon Marked For Death, Cloudpunk, Filament, The Shattering, A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986, Iratus: Lord of the Dead, TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children, ITTA, 112 Operator, ...), and I almost want to say to Epic: "do your worse". :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

Really, for every exclusive they lock, there will be dozens, if not hundreds of great alternatives available on Steam.
There's so much stuff releasing on Steam recently, so many quality games, it's at times overwhelming.

So yeah, let them have stuff like Untitled Goose Game, or Borderlands 3 available a few months earlier. ;)

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Its a shame. The PCgamershow was pretty much the only part of E3 that i still watched and looked forward to and now its something that i know will just bring a bunch of eggclusives that i wont be playing so i no longer bother with it. I liked the two hosts, they were good and i liked how different it was (felt a bit more...i dont know.....sincere, less corporate marketing speel) to the other shows of E3.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
No doubt there will be plenty of exclusives, also some big ones. But just like last year, it will be easy to ignore all these games for 12 months because there are plenty of other great games to play on pc.
You know, I look at all the games released on Steam this week, and the diversity of genres (XCOM: Chimera Squad, Trials of Mana, Dragon Marked For Death, Cloudpunk, Filament, The Shattering, A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986, Iratus: Lord of the Dead, TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children, ITTA, 112 Operator, ...), and I almost want to say to Epic: "do your worse". :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

Really, for every exclusive they lock, there will be dozens, if not hundreds of great alternatives available on Steam.
There's so much stuff releasing on Steam recently, so many quality games, it's at times overwhelming.

So yeah, let them have stuff like Untitled Goose Game, or Borderlands 3 available a few months earlier. ;)
hear! hear! :thumbsupblob:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
100% agree.
The best thing is, there is always something coming out of the blue for me like Dusk, Disco:Elysium or Chimera Squad (just random examples).
I was disappointed when certain games went EGS exclusive, but meanwhile I'm rather relaxed: If you don't want my money, fine there is enough competition out there. EGS made me buy different games, instead of games on EGS.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Agreed with all the above. There are a few EGS exclusives that have annoyed me - most notable was Shenmue III - but on the most part all they've done is made deciding what my next purchase a bit easier. But the reality is for every game I'm waiting 6-12 months for because it's an exclusive, there are at the very least 2-3 games that piqued my interest just as much on other platforms that I'm willing to spend money on. And I generally consider myself a very picky player.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Its a shame. The PCgamershow was pretty much the only part of E3 that i still watched and looked forward to and now its something that i know will just bring a bunch of eggclusives that i wont be playing so i no longer bother with it. I liked the two hosts, they were good and i liked how different it was (felt a bit more...i dont know.....sincere, less corporate marketing speel) to the other shows of E3.
I had always looked forward to the PC gamer show. Like you said, it felt more honest and had some eurojank-flair to it (And I mean that in the best picture possible, like everything else is focus-tested to hell AAA console bullshit and here we have some honest, experimental not-taking-itself-too-seriously, show.)

And then came Epic and made it AAA Bullshit. Didn't watch last year and won't watch it this year.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I had always looked forward to the PC gamer show. Like you said, it felt more honest and had some eurojank-flair to it (And I mean that in the best picture possible, like everything else is focus-tested to hell AAA console bullshit and here we have some honest, experimental not-taking-itself-too-seriously, show.)

And then came Epic and made it AAA Bullshit. Didn't watch last year and won't watch it this year.
I honestly feel the change in format hurt that the most. In trying to make things a big stage show, it lost the impact of being people actually talking about games, and in some cases playing right there next to them. I still think it';s got better coverage than the other bigger shows, maybe minus Directs - but it certainly has had less time to fill with actual game trailers and announcements by being slick and over-produced

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Is there a thread for PC hardware and building, or should I just ask here? I'm gonna build a new rig some time this year, and I have some generalized questions since I haven't built my own since 2013.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is there a thread for PC hardware and building, or should I just ask here? I'm gonna build a new rig some time this year, and I have some generalized questions since I haven't built my own since 2013.
well there is this one:

;)

Reactions: ISee

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
another great thread from Rob

i'll just post the entire thing in text form (otherwise i'd have to embed like 30 tweets, and nobody wants that :p)

Because I hate myself so much, just been reading back on late 2018 Epic Vs Valve! This is war! And they aged well then.

This changes everything!
*It did not change everything.

I still stand with "they just have enough money to make a mess, tbh" which was pretty much where I started from and where all signs are pointing. They weren't the saviour of developers, they just have money to throw at a handful so they look good.

Which, you know, if you want money and fall into the band of developers they're openly courting, is whatever. It's also not exactly a unique technique, is it? Whoever heard of platforms buying exclusivity before? (everyone - Ed)

Aside from the overtures to huge sellers from Valve, their wait and see approach to Epic in every other respect paid off for them. I'm not saying it's right, just business is as business does. Folks just pop their game on Steam in the end.

I guess it played a part in hastening Valve's shift into being more talkative in public about the work they do on Steam. A lot of that was lost to the steamworks forum or dev chats prior so that's an improvement.

I'm loathe to read too much into the regular supply of free games Epic offer and what that might mean long term.

We've had this stuff before, daily never mind weekly. It happens. I don't think it's had as profound an effect as it might have if it came in 2016 or something.

As it stands, it's happening at a time where games are in abundance (not to be taken for granted), deep discounting is part of selling most games and there's a lot of money going into building subscription libraries to rent out.

(this all comes with a "and then ,,, covid" disclaimer, obviously)

I'd be surprised if it didn't generate more news than store loyalty, tbh. Though valuable to Epic, not much use to me. But I dunno, that's a wildly uneducated guess. I just suspect it helps buy more time to get the store over the bare bones mark.

I'm certain it contributes towards Our Future Messes but not that much.

So yeah, it's been a year and change, it hasn't been an explosive store war after the first few weeks of banging the drum loudly.

The bits that do interest me:

Epic's shift into publishing, meaning a finger in most videogame pies.

Them conceding Fortnite to Google, showing they can (currently) only buy so much ground against more entrenched storefronts.

No across the board improved % for devs elsewhere.

The first one is further consolidating power/position because engine provider, publisher and storefront owner is a heck of a lot.

The second also reflected in how they've not dinted Valve's fortune or position any.

The third, well, if it wasn't for the oncoming recession and fallout from Covid, I'd think unlikely to shift. As is, who knows? All bets are off at this point. It might yet prove a necessity. I'm not hopeful because waves hands capitalism, but if things get tight?

Just I don't think anyone is really in a position to force that. Epic haven't been able to. Humble have built a house of cards relying on Valve continuing to let them build their business on Steam keys, what even is a gog??? and itch aside, it's a push for streaming.

Which just leaves me thinking that it's going to be an especially rough ride for most people trying to flog games in the near future, more so than it already is. You know, rather than Epic having led us to the promised land and all that jazz.

I guess the consolation is that for most of us, it's never not been a tough ride so it's just same shit, different angle.

But I went well off track to get there, sorry. In my defense, I'm quite tired indeed. As you were. cough

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
To be fair to Epic, their nonsense did have two positive effects. One, through their media blitz they pushed Valve into being more communicative and two, their service is so terrible that it helped many people devalue the concept of timed exclusivity.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Predator: Hunting Grounds is apparently no good. Predator: Hunting Grounds

This one’s a bummer for me. I was really looking forward to what the Friday the 13th guys could do with the concept. Still though, there’s a trend where big Epic exclusives have just turned out to not be good games lately. Between this and the laughable Saints Row 3 Remastered I’m having to wonder if publishers have abandoned EGS as a brave new venture and now view it as a way to get a quick paycheck for something they know would bomb, like releasing a movie direct to video.

FunnyJay