News Epic Games Store

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well, there are some "good" (as in direct) answers there, but man do they try to make Epic sound so wonderful :p. And showing the already delayed roadmap is hilarious.

Judging by the trailer (that game does not look ready to release in "Summer 2019") I'm guessing HumanHead really needed the money.
My guess is we'll see another video/release from HumanHead about how they need to go into EA or push the game back in the next few weeks because it;s clearly not ready for prime time if t hat trailer is anything to go by

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is it me or have they hidden the number of thumbs up and down for this video?
they have, yup

Yup, it's not visible anymore. I wonder why is that...
it's a real mystery ...

My guess is we'll see another video/release from HumanHead about how they need to go into EA or push the game back in the next few weeks because it;s clearly not ready for prime time if t hat trailer is anything to go by
yeah ... and if not - gonna be rough

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
PC Version of Metro Exodus bombed hard
Perhaps this will encourage publishers to release their games day 1 on PC's most popular gaming storefront instead of taking short term profits.

While moneyhats can make their game profitable, they still need to establish a fanbase. If they don't, then not many people will care about their future games.

Last edited:
Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I highly doubt Metro Exodus's low sales on PC are gonna dissuade anyone from signing further exclusivity deals, especially with the ridiculous payouts Epic is giving. Snapshot and No Code both admitted their EGS deals were due to low sales of previous titles, and PP apparently covered its entire budget just from the bonus.

Even in the AAA space, this is all gonna get instantly forgotten as soon as Borderlands 3 hits, a game which has mass appeal among people who aren't nerds that get angry on the internet like us.

Still, though, I'll take it as a small victory.

Reactions: Ge0force

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I highly doubt Metro Exodus's low sales on PC are gonna dissuade anyone from signing further exclusivity deals, especially with the ridiculous payouts Epic is giving. Snapshot and No Code both admitted their EGS deals were due to low sales of previous titles, and PP apparently covered its entire budget just from the bonus.

Even in the AAA space, this is all gonna get instantly forgotten as soon as Borderlands 3 hits, a game which has mass appeal among people who aren't nerds that get angry on the internet like us.

Still, though, I'll take it as a small victory.
I don't know, as the lashman refered to in the article he linked, the tail end of sales is a big factor to profitability on PC. Not only that, but even though Epic might be insurance against financially bombing, the sales that didn't happen are sales and engagement toward the next game that isn't going to be there.

The impact of what happened to Metro Exodus on PC can't be underplayed in my opinion.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The impact of what happened to Metro Exodus on PC can't be underplayed in my opinion.
Agreed. Look at the Tomb Raider franchise: it's not unlikely that the exclusivity deal for RotTR had an impact on the (lower) SotTR sales, especially on PS4.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
THQ's statement that the absolute majority' of revenue for Metro Exodus comes from consoles is being reported by several game sites (not by PC Gamer of course). I hope some of them have the balls to confront Sweeney and Gally with this claim.

Reactions: Ruvon

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Woops, wrong thread.
you can delete posts, you know :p lol

THQ's statement that the absolute majority' of revenue for Metro Exodus comes from consoles is being reported by several game sites (not by PC Gamer of course). I hope some of them have the balls to confront Sweeney and Gally with this claim.
which is funny because all previous Metro games sold best on PC (i believe)

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
There are no typos.
Although i realize that i forgot to remove China from the table of contents.
Will fix tomorrow.
And guess i'll also check for typos another time.
Not that there are any.

The games in question did not sign an exclusivity deal with Valve, the company behind
Steam. They are exclusive to team, not due to steam offering an incentive not to publish
anywhere else, but solely due to the neglect or the disinterest in publishing the game
somewhere else on the developers / publishers side.
That's supposed to be "steam" right?

Reactions: Ge0force

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Someone must have hacked the file i swear
HAXXX!!!

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Just like Epic protecting the customer's money by not letting them impulse buy through a shopping cart, and banning them instead.
My degree in English has its uses...just like shopping carts on digital distribution services not named EGS.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Wingefors adds “my statement yesterday” – that ‘absolute majority’ bit noted by many on Twitter – “about console share of Metro Exodus sales was referring to the two console platforms combined – both physical and digital revenue. This is still the majority of the revenues of Metro Exodus.”
Oh ok so what you're saying is consoles are still leading

Reactions: unknownhero

undu

Mar 17, 2019
right round, like a record right round round round

What a huge disappointment. For a moment, I actually believed that the majority of pc gamers used their brains and voted with their wallets against Deep Silver's disgusting move to pull the game from Steam right before release. Seems I was wrong. 😞
why would you believe that when not a single figure has been released? It's evident Tim made him to step forward to make Epic save face

Deleted member 113

This is hilarious.
As you may have heard, Human Head decided to go for EGS exclusivity, and announced it by releasing a video and promoting things on social media, while not even bothering to send an email to those who pre-ordered the game months ago (in my case, it was last August) until many hours later, when people started complaining.

Not only they didn't make the link for refunds very clear on previous communications (there wasn't one that I could find on their email; I had to follow a link on youtube!), but now they are emailing their customers, trying to dissuade them from asking for a refund.

Here's the email I just received.

Greetings Warriors!
We understand that pre-order supporters were promised a Steam key for their pre-order purchase. To that end, we are offering every person that has pre-ordered RUNE II before 05/22/19 an additional Steam key containing all pre-order incentives, to be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.
In summary, all RUNE II pre-order purchasers will receive:
  • An Epic Games store key (1) with all of their pre-order incentives. (Summer 2019)
  • BONUS! An Epic Games store key (1) with the standard edition of RUNE II (Summer 2019)
  • NEW BONUS! A Steam key (1) with all of pre-order incentives (Estimated: Summer 2020)
As Chris Rhinehart said in our Q&A video, we still firmly believe that Epic Games is the correct partner for us to align with. That said, we want to do right for the community that has supported Human Head Studios in the past 20 years. If you would still like a refund, you can submit that request up until 6/5/19 at: RUNE II Refund Form

Through your comments, tweets, Discord messages, and more, we’ve heard you loud and clear. We will constantly strive to improve the way that we communicate about these types of matters in the future.

Thank You,
The RUNE II Development Team

Clearly, the reaction to the news was overwhelmingly positive indeed. :grimacing-face:
Needless to say, I have asked for a refund, and I'm not changing my mind.

Deleted member 113

I understand that the studio had a number of problems after the failure of their last game and i kind of understand their descent to Hell for them to be at a better financial position.

Still they wisely chose Epic's money than work to get mine so i hope all the best to their relationship with the "correct" people.
Like I mentioned before, no matter how upset I am because I supported them in good faith, and then this happens, I don't doubt they are in a bad spot financially.

But, instead of coming clean and sending an email when they launched that trailer, informing customers that they needed to take that deal for further funding, and offering refunds for those who wish to do so, they instead didn't say a thing, released the video, promoted the game on social media, and only at the end of the day, after people started complaining on social media and their forums, did they said anything. Well, they basically didn't say much, they linked to a video.

And what did they "say": basically, that they took the deal because it's the best for us (customers), because they heard our feedback and demands, and went to Epic to ask for money to realize all our requests. This, after months of total silence (they signed the deal with Epic months ago, and didn't say a thing; they missed Beta dates, didn't send out updates, barely replied to anyone).

That's not the way of handling things.
If you communicate with your customers, and don't treat them like idiots, people wouldn't react as poorly.

If they had the decency of being honest and communicated with the people who pre-ordered the game, I would still ask for a refund (I'm not using the Epic store, period; especially not after what they pulled with Phoenix Point, a game I backed, and then I'm denied not only a Steam key, but even a digital download outside of Epic, like they've been having their work-in-progress versions; it's Epic or nothing, until a year later).
But, I would understand, and I would consider buying future games. Or even Rune, when it launched on Steam.

But instead, they released this video:

Yeah, Human Head is dead to me.

I'm not particularly bothered, because like I keep saying, I don't have any problems finding alternatives to spend my money on. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I hope Metro Exodus is case study of how to squander good will and sales on the PC platform. Considering the game was already best-selling on PC, why bother fucking a good thing up?

I can kinda understand when your games may not do as well on PC compared to console or mobile, but to do it on a franchise that started on PC and does best on PC, why rock that boat? It just reeks of share incompetence.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So first, Benji said that Metro Exodus is THQ's most successful launch ever. Second, PS4 and XB1 sales are strong. Third, EGS sales are better than digital PS4/XB1. Even though digital only account for, let's say, 30% of total PS4/XB1 sales and now EGS is reportedly surpassing that. It sounds good in a way, but the reality is far from that. PC sales in multiplatform games usually account for 20-40% of total sales (even more in some cases), including consoles physical. And in Metro case, PC is supposed to be the best selling platform.

So yeah, that's just PR and they should release the hard sales figures if they really want to make things clear.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
What a huge disappointment. For a moment, I actually believed that the majority of pc gamers used their brains and voted with their wallets against Deep Silver's disgusting move to pull the game from Steam right before release. Seems I was wrong. 😞
You shouldn't be falling for every bit of PR spin thrown your way. You are being very pessimistic for no reason. This is a blatant attempt at damage control.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
You shouldn't be falling for every bit of PR spin thrown your way. You are being very pessimistic for no reason. This is a blatant attempt at damage control.
I guess so. After these Tweets, I assumed the pre-orders on Steam were higher than the actual sales on EGS. Only thing we know now is that this isn't true. But indeed, sales on pc are still significantly lower than console sales, which wasn't true for the previous Metro games.

To be honest I'm just worried that THQ Nordic will go in bed with Epic. They have bought many of my favorite studios and IP's.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There is this whisper saying:"Maybe you see, what you want to see."
But talk about how great something performed, without actual numbers is mostly just PR spinning indeed.
Reminds me of Microsoft telling people how much barrels were blown up or how many total, combined hours were played early this generation.
Sounds impressive, but it means nothing.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I guess so. After these Tweets, I assumed the pre-orders on Steam were higher than the actual sales on EGS. Only thing we know now is that this isn't true. But indeed, sales on pc are still significantly lower than console sales, which wasn't true for the previous Metro games.

To be honest I'm just worried that THQ Nordic will go in bed with Epic. They have bought many of my favorite studios and IP's.
They might very well do that. Every bit of information we have about Epic's moneyhats suggests that the money Epic is offering is enough to more than cover any lost sales. If THQ is expecting to make x amount of revenue from a game and Epic offers them 2x, they'll go exclusive again. It can't be avoided.

This is why I said that publishers and big developers will not be the ones to put a stop to this. As long as they get a big moneybag they won't care. Of the two parties participating in these deals, Epic and developers, Epic is the one more likely to eventually pull out. Epic is the one bleeding cash. Obviously they don't care right now but I'm sure they have projections on when they will reach the point of profitability and they might decide to stop if that point keeps moving further into the future.

As for the Exodus thing, this is the exact quote:

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”
So what does this mean, exactly? This:

Exodus launch + Satisfactory launch + THQ back catalog on EGS > Exodus launch + THQ back catalog on XBL
Exodus launch + Satisfactory launch + THQ back catalog on EGS > Exodus launch + THQ back catalog on PSN
Exodus launch + Satisfactory launch + THQ back catalog on EGS > Exodus preorders on Steam from 1/1/2019 to 28/1/2019 + THQ back catalog on Steam

So, without even considering whether or not Epic's moneyhat is included in the revenue amount, since we know it's in the form of guaranteed minimum sales and it very well could be, all this statement tells us is that the combined revenue generated by the launches of Exodus and Satisfactory on EGS until the end of March is greater than the amount of revenue Exodus preorders generated on Steam during the first 28 days of the year. That's it.

Is that a reason to be disappointed? I honestly don't think so. It's just a carefully worded statement intended to do some damage control after yesterday's news blew up.

Actions speak louder than words. Epic doing a fire sale and no one releasing any actual numbers are much stronger indications of the EGS' current state of success than PR spin.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wasn't this 310k? That's not impressive if the total amount of sales is over 2 million.
something like that, yeah

and yeah - when Vermintide 2 can do over 1m in a week - that's not particularly impressive

Which likely means that everyone else's numbers aren't that great.
yuuuup

there's no way in Hell i'll believe Tim when he says epic doesn't have a say in who can post their numbers .... not for a second

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
This is hilarious.
As you may have heard, Human Head decided to go for EGS exclusivity, and announced it by releasing a video and promoting things on social media, while not even bothering to send an email to those who pre-ordered the game months ago (in my case, it was last August) until many hours later, when people started complaining.

Not only they didn't make the link for refunds very clear on previous communications (there wasn't one that I could find on their email; I had to follow a link on youtube!), but now they are emailing their customers, trying to dissuade them from asking for a refund.

Here's the email I just received.

Greetings Warriors!
We understand that pre-order supporters were promised a Steam key for their pre-order purchase. To that end, we are offering every person that has pre-ordered RUNE II before 05/22/19 an additional Steam key containing all pre-order incentives, to be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.
In summary, all RUNE II pre-order purchasers will receive:
  • An Epic Games store key (1) with all of their pre-order incentives. (Summer 2019)
  • BONUS! An Epic Games store key (1) with the standard edition of RUNE II (Summer 2019)
  • NEW BONUS! A Steam key (1) with all of pre-order incentives (Estimated: Summer 2020)
As Chris Rhinehart said in our Q&A video, we still firmly believe that Epic Games is the correct partner for us to align with. That said, we want to do right for the community that has supported Human Head Studios in the past 20 years. If you would still like a refund, you can submit that request up until 6/5/19 at: RUNE II Refund Form

Through your comments, tweets, Discord messages, and more, we’ve heard you loud and clear. We will constantly strive to improve the way that we communicate about these types of matters in the future.

Thank You,
The RUNE II Development Team

Clearly, the reaction to the news was overwhelmingly positive indeed. :grimacing-face:
Needless to say, I have asked for a refund, and I'm not changing my mind.
Offering three copies to get people to keep their preorders lmao what ridiculous desesperation.

Deleted member 113

Gollop did (almost) the same ... epic key, steam key + 12 months of "free" DLC :p
And still, in both cases, I ended refunding them anyway. ;)

They could have told me I would get an EGS account with all available games, and all future games for free, and I can assure you I still wouldn't take it.
Yeah, I'm grumpy like that. When I fell "disrespected", like when Gallop pulled that crap (and I remind you, he had been distributing early versions of the game as a DRM-free download, and going forward, he denied even providing a download of the game; it's EGS or nothing), I'm not sold by a freebie or two.