News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Before I left the /r/EpicGamesPC discord, they were getting all excited about this despite it being similar to Steam's. They think EA is bring EA Play Pro to the service despite it being on Origin only and that Epic is going to start their own monthly bundle like Humble.
That makes no sense as their weekly giveaways are effectively the same thing. Heck their freebies are oftentimes higher quality than Humble Monthly.

So, Palworld has sold 2m copies in less than 24 hours.

How long do we think it’ll be before we get a similar mode in Fortnite?
It took about a week for an Only Up knockoff to hit Fortnite. I give it a month before FortPal releases.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Just from what little data I've read online, 1%-10% of Steam's sales seems about right. It likely skews higher for AAAs and bigger indies. I also like how he mentioned that he probably isn't allowed to share sales figures and had to sign over a dozen NDAs.

Also year in review will probably drop this week. Other than 2023, it's usually the last week in January. I'm expecting big growth thanks to the Fortnite revival plus the 33% coupon.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
He will probably whine about how Steam should link to other stores. Pointless features like this instead of improving the platform, as if folks can't search online. I guess another way to see what games they should acquire if folks searched for it a lot within the store but I doubt it's gonna have that much use anyway.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
A bit of a fun oddity, but Suicide Squad is currently #6 the EGS best sellers chart. I think some of their users didn't get the memo about it being delayed a month.

“We’re providing 100s of hits to more popular rival stores. These stores should now direct magnitudes more traffic to EGS to return the favour.”
They don't even link to other stores, but the official website. They're just pulling data from IGDB and displaying it on the EGS frontend.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’d be interested in seeing Epic create a big picture UI. There’s a useful feature. Maybe do that, Tim.

Then again the community has already done that with Playnite and the Legendary plugin.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The Walt Disney Company and Epic Games will collaborate on an all-new games and entertainment universe that will further expand the reach of beloved Disney stories and experiences. Disney will also invest $1.5 billion to acquire an equity stake in Epic Games alongside the multiyear project. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

In addition to being a world-class games experience and interoperating with Fortnite, the new persistent universe will offer a multitude of opportunities for consumers to play, watch, shop and engage with content, characters and stories from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more. Players, gamers and fans will be able to create their own stories and experiences, express their fandom in a distinctly Disney way, and share content with each other in ways that they love. This will all be powered by Unreal Engine.
“Disney was one of the first companies to believe in the potential of bringing their worlds together with ours in Fortnite, and they use Unreal Engine across their portfolio,” said Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder, Epic Games. “Now we’re collaborating on something entirely new to build a persistent, open and interoperable ecosystem that will bring together the Disney and Fortnite communities.”
“This will enable us to bring together our incredible collection of stories and experiences from across the company for a broad audience in ways we have only dreamed of before,” said Josh D’Amaro, Chairman, Disney Experiences. “Epic Games’ industry-leading technology and Fortnite’s open ecosystem will help us reach consumers where they are so they can engage with Disney in the ways that are most relevant to them.”
Looks like Fortnite will get more Disney branded modes. Maybe they'll have better retention than LEGO.

And before anyone starts doomposting, I doubt this affects Disney games on Steam.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Considering Fortnite already has several ties to Disney IPs, I am curious if this actually moves the needle for attracting new users. Folks who already like Disney properties have probably at least considered playing Fortnite or at least heard about it. All that said, if Fortnite wants to become a metaverse, it needs to reset what users expect of Fortnite, or attract new users without those expectations. Otherwise folks will always fall back to the BR mode.

Also, Disney Dreamlight Valley still exists and this steps on its toes a bit.

Reactions: Arc and lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Correct, it likely wont.
I saw one of the biggest Epic fans on Reddit gleefully saying this was the end of Disney games on Steam.

Last year i took them like until march to publish it.
That's because they tied it with the self publishing tools update. The 2020 and 2021 updates were in late January. Maybe they're waiting for another big dev update this year to drop the 2023 YIR.

At the very least the EU MAU report should release next week as it is every 6 months and the last update was in mid August.

Nope, last year was mid-February, so should be out soon-ish.
I hope we get a MAU number. Just using the peak CCUs, Steam growth in-client growth has been kind of tepid YOY, but in-game has seen big growth thanks to Palworld.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Article is paywalled, but the readable blurb says Disney's $1.5 billion bought a 7% stake. I had actually read a posting a few months ago saying their valuation was down to $15 billion, but didn't believe it. Fortnite's bounce back probably helped boost it.

So the end of Disney games selling on PC then.
AFAIK Disney licenses out their IPs to various companies who then decide what platforms to put them on. Thinking the Disney deal has anything to do with EGS is dumb.

Reactions: awefaw and lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
so Tencent has 42% , disney 9% and Timmy 49% ?
Sony owns something too, at least.

Edit:

So Sony owns 3.7%, Kiribi (Lego) owns 3%, it seems

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
They could have also issued new shares that keep Tim's >50% while diluting the shares of other investors. I don't think Tim would give up control, otherwise they would have already went public.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Epic Games laid off 800 employees in September in what CEO Tim Sweeney called a “survival move” that would allow the company to continue to pursue its metaverse initiatives. Speaking to IGN, multiple former employees suggested the financial situation Epic found itself in stemmed from a pattern of irresponsible spending on initiatives that didn’t seem to have a clear strategy behind them, from a rash of acquisitions to Sweeney’s ongoing metaverse dreams. Then, when it came time to account for that spending to investors, the company seemed confused as to how it had gotten there in the first place and started encouraging individual employees to find ways to cut costs.

“A lot of that turned into people eliminating waste, especially things like servers and storage that didn’t need to be running, or at least could be scaled down,” said one current employee who was there in 2023. “I don’t know how much money was ultimately saved but it wasn’t uncommon for people to be finding millions of dollars of waste - pretty reasonable IMO when you’ve got a game as big as Fortnite, this stuff can easily be overlooked and it’s not like it’s really killing the company."

At the time, they said, Sweeney told employees Epic was taking actions specifically to avoid layoffs, including cutting everyone’s quarterly bonuses in half. They also recalled being told the company had billions in the bank, and could weather the storm. Then in the summer, raises and promotions were delayed after performance reviews. And shortly after, the layoffs happened. No amount of waste removal had managed to save 800 Epic employees from Sweeney’s self-described “unrealistic” belief that Epic could spend more than it made in order to build a metaverse. Nor has the loss of 800 employees appeared to have changed Sweeney’s unrealistic belief. Just days ago, Disney purchased a $1.5 billion stake in Epic Games to fund a “persistent, open and interoperable ecosystem” that incorporates the two brands. It’s an extraordinary amount of money…five months too late to help the people who needed it.
Shocker.

I'd suggest reading the whole article as it covers mismanagement across the entire industry. Just as an example: Immortals of Aveum had a $125 million budget ($85 million for dev costs and $40 million for marketing).

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Speaking to IGN, multiple former employees suggested the financial situation Epic found itself in stemmed from a pattern of irresponsible spending on initiatives that didn’t seem to have a clear strategy behind them, from a rash of acquisitions to Sweeney’s ongoing metaverse dreams. Then, when it came time to account for that spending to investors, the company seemed confused as to how it had gotten there in the first place and started encouraging individual employees to find ways to cut costs.

Dec 5, 2018
Speaking to IGN, multiple former employees suggested the financial situation Epic found itself in stemmed from a pattern of irresponsible spending on initiatives that didn’t seem to have a clear strategy behind them, from a rash of acquisitions to Sweeney’s ongoing metaverse dreams
At the time I thought that the acquisitions had 2 purposes:
  1. Help epic become the ultimate middleware company
  2. Create their Everything game metaverse.
But they kept throwing money, like there was no tomorrow all while trying to take apple in a trial that they could not win. I'm still not sure if it can work (at least as far as the Everything game is concerned).

Which reminds me, did we ever get the remedies of the google trial. I'm really interested in knowing if it will be real stuff or just stuff that google will skirt and then he will proceed to have a meltdown instead, of trying to understand why he keeps getting blindsided by these companies

Reactions: xxr and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
40 million for marketing sounds insane to me. I wonder what this money was spent on. I haven't seen many ads for Aveum.
I honesty have no idea how much $40m marketing budget gets you these days. But judging by the fact that some games have marketing budgets with another digit on top, I suspect it’s not much.

For example, since Google and Facebook have basically enshittified the entire ad industry, a large portion of your ad budget is spent showing them to bots and nefarious state actors astroturfing social media for dishonest reasons. And then there’s all the people blocking your ads too.

It’s hard to get the word out about your game these days, but these people don’t know what else to do so they keep ploughing cash into these ad companies for literally nothing.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
40 million for marketing sounds insane to me. I wonder what this money was spent on. I haven't seen many ads for Aveum.
Do you watch a lot of things with ads?

Ad spend is always so difficult for me, I use an adblocker on my browser and have Youtube Premium because I watch a lot of Youtube on my TV. I also watch streaming services that don't have ads.

Aside from Youtube sponsorships I don't really see a lot of ads.