News Epic Games Store

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Do we really know it’s 1/3 on Epic? It could be a lot less.

And if it’s 1/3, how many of those are full price versus discounted?

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Dec 5, 2018

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Weren't you convinced that it would go up ;) .

All joking aside, i don't really know how they calculate the top titles (since it says money+engagement) but it doesn't look like games move that many units.
I was only off by $165 million, but not in the direction I was expecting.

Also if Alan Wake 2 did ~400k on EGS and it's in the second highest tier, yeesh.

Edit: Those third party revenue numbers are also after having an effective 40% discount for nearly a month as well. I'm flabbergasted at how bad they are.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Almost 2 months of aggressive sales an coupons, and 3rd party spending is worse than last year. Also the 2nd tier hovers at 400k sales considering AW2 is there and it did that much on the EGS. Also less free games were claimed in total ocmpared to last year
But for me, the funniest part is the slide about games coming in 2024: by Steam numbers the best selling ones so far are Palworld, Helldivers 2, Granblue, Persona and Like a Dragon, and not a single one of them is coming to the EGS

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I cannot get over those awful 3rd party revenue results. There are only more and more games simultaneously shipping on the platform and a larger catalog to select from and yet their 3rd party revenue goes down. How is that even possible... That means there is even less money circulating around on more games with more users who apparently spend less.

And their solution seems to pad the number through coupons and giveaways which only convinces folks to spend less. If you are not a larger publisher or developer, there is likely no reason to release on EGS based on their trending. Heck, you would be better to wait until Epic contacts you to release your game for free game giveaway and ask for a larger upfront payment.

Even those Fortnite numbers are lukewarm because they indicate the game has mostly stagnated in revenue with no crazy growth despite Epic spending more to develop modes and fund their Roblox-like service. That relative stagnation is definitely the reason they laid a bunch of folks off as they likely misjudged Fortnite's continued growth and why their valuation has now fallen.

If I was an employee, but especially a laid off employee, I would be seriously questioning why the company is willing to waste money on the CEO's pet project and costing me and my peers their jobs to cover its losses.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
EGS, the one store on the industry that will put the words "MAU up, third party revenue down, total free games claimed down" on the same year in review graph and go yep that sure makes sense yep yep yep
They are only showing MAU for December, and the plus is over the previous month, I believe. Thus we have no idea how user activity was over the course of the entire year. Compare and contrast that with Steam that publishes user activity numbers for every day even. (though be fair, MAU numbers for Steam are not frequently posted, but would dwarf EGS anyway)

Reactions: Stone Ocean

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
EGS, the one store on the industry that will put the words "MAU up, third party revenue down, total free games claimed down" on the same year in review graph and go yep that sure makes sense yep yep yep
To me that says a ton of people came back for Fortnite and didn't bother with anything else in the store. As Arsene said, Fortnite OG and Chapter 5 saved their butts. Things would be a lot more dire if it hadn't popped off again.

Edit:

They are only showing MAU for December, and the plus is over the previous month, I believe. Thus we have no idea how user activity was over the course of the entire year. Compare and contrast that with Steam that publishes user activity numbers for every day even. (though be fair, MAU numbers for Steam are not frequently posted, but would dwarf EGS anyway)
For what it's worth, Fortnite peaked in December so I would assume the December 2023 numbers are the highest EGS got the whole year.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Oh also Tim Sweeney mentioned in his post lawsuit interview in December that EGS was at 80m MAU, so either he was lying (again) or their MAU went down in December despite the launch of LEGO/Festival/Racing in Fortnite

I completely missed that free game claims were down by 114m lmfao

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Good on them for actually publishing this, because sheeesh.
Third party spending down in 2023 of all years? Seriously I have no idea how this project is supposed to ever become profitable.
Mere profitability? Please, his Lord Tim Epic has higher goals than that. He wants a majority of all revenue of PC Gaming in his store, how else should he save gamerdom from GabeNs cruel tyranny?! Sure, these first six years have shown little progress, and so far it is a massive money sink that is perhaps even risking his companies overall finances. But once he just found the right exclusive game for the EGS, all his fortunes will reverse and EGS will wear its long deserved crown as the biggest PC platform of all time. Just a couple hundred million more dollars that need to be burned, I mean invested into this grand project

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Honestly the only time I even thought about that store all of last year was when people here brought up Alan Wake 2 and Dead Island 2.

They have to do something big to differentiate themselves from Steam. Like some type of subscription thing or wtvr.

GOG and Gamepass kinda has that thing. Epic doesn't. I just don't see the point of the store if you are not a frequent Fortnite player.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Games journalists never stop to amaze me:

"Epic Games’ PC storefront is fast becoming the most popular place to buy and play games on the platform. It’s rivalling Steam – Valve’s legendary launcher and storefront"

In reality, a single indie game (Palworld) gets more revenue on Steam in 2 weeks than all 3rd party games on EGS in a full year...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Games journalists never stop to amaze me:

"Epic Games’ PC storefront is fast becoming the most popular place to buy and play games on the platform. It’s rivalling Steam – Valve’s legendary launcher and storefront"

In reality, a single indie game (Palworld) gets more revenue on Steam in 2 weeks than all 3rd party games on EGS in a full year...
I reckon it’s one of two (or a mixture of both) things:

1) An AI drafted it. They’re known for stupid hyperbole like that.

2) Provocative lines are put in articles to encourage engagement.

Games journalism is a sewer. Never forget this.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I reckon it’s one of two (or a mixture of both) things:

1) An AI drafted it. They’re known for stupid hyperbole like that.

2) Provocative lines are put in articles to encourage engagement.

Games journalism is a sewer. Never forget this.
My first instinct was that this ~200 word "article" was AI generated. Certainly no one with an ounce of critical thinking wrote it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I wonder how Skull and Bones is doing. It's the #1 seller on EGS right now, but that doesn't mean much. It's #27 on the most played chart and is below Destiny 2 which is doing about 21.4k daily users right now based on the tracking site Warmind. I doubt it's doing very well to be honest.

FWIW, I think S&B is struggling on console. It is only #7 on the US PSN chart while Helldivers 2 is #1. Even Suicide Squad launched at #3. Xbox numbers are always delayed several days so there's no information available right now.

Realistically we'll have to wait for Ubi's next financial report to get a better idea how it's doing, but for a AAAA game, I'm underwhelmed.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Remember, the great thing about EGS is that all the games are carefully curated.

The Epic team of curation experts selected hits such as "The Chosen One by the World" and "Party Monsterzz" from the vast swathe of titles eager to be on EGS so that you don't have to sift through thousands of games to get to the good stuff.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Epic's EU Mau went up 14.7m -> 17.7m

Regulatory Disclosure Requirement - Monthly Active Users in the EU (Updated February 16, 2024)

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Games Store for the past six months was 17.7 million.

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Developer Community for the past six months was 417,000.

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of Fab Marketplace for the past six months was 4,700.

Users who accessed more than one of Epic’s services or products in a given month are counted as a user for each service or product.

Previous:

Regulatory Disclosure Requirement - Monthly Active Users in the EU (Updated August 17, 2023)

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Games Store for the past six months was 14.7 million*. *This number is based on updated measurement methodology that more accurately counts EGS visitors that aren’t logged in. This change resulted in a decrease in reported MAU count on EGS.

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Developer Community for the past six months was 256,000.

Regulatory Disclosure Requirement - Monthly Active Users in the EU (Updated February 17, 2023)

The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Games Store for the past six months was 21.3 million. The estimated average monthly active recipients in the European Union of the Epic Developer Community for the past six months was 503,000.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Fortnite went from 16.4 million to 22.6 million.

Fall Guys went from 3.9 million to 2.9 million.

Last I checked (about 6 hours ago), Valve still hasn't updated the Steam number. Here's the link if anyone in the EU wants to check as I'm too lazy to hop on a VPN right now.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Fortnite went from 16.4 million to 22.6 million.

Fall Guys went from 3.9 million to 2.9 million.

Last I checked (about 6 hours ago), Valve still hasn't updated the Steam number. Here's the link if anyone in the EU wants to check as I'm too lazy to hop on a VPN right now.
I just checked, the last number is from July. Is there any way we can see those numbers for PSN and Xbox live?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It finally updated.

26.3 million -> 26.0 million.

I'm starting to get why Valve is being so coy about not giving MAU numbers. I'm guessing growth is relatively flat overall.

Also Skull and Bones debuted at 26th on the Xbox charts. It's up to 25th on the EGS most played charts. It's probably a flop, especially with Helldivers 2 taking all the attention for live service games lately.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
It finally updated.

26.3 million -> 26.0 million.

I'm starting to get why Valve is being so coy about not giving MAU numbers. I'm guessing growth is relatively flat overall.
Yeah, it feels stagnant for 2023, while consumerism and revenue grew, number of active users didn't change that much. Not unexpected IMHO.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I remember one of the UnrealFest sessions where Epic was expecting EGS to go from 68M to 69-70M in 2023 so they would have done similar had Fortnite not exploded again. I still wish Valve had gave an update for 2022 when it looked like there was still big growth. I know they went from ~27 million to ~31 million CCU in 2022 which should have tied to a healthy MAU increase.

Reactions: Mor and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The Nintendo show case has some cool stuff also

I wonder if they will delist the current ones and if this is why the OG ones got online servers up and running again years ago
Dang it wrong thread. No wonder I did see ang other post talking about this.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
The Nintendo show case has some cool stuff also

I wonder if they will delist the current ones and if this is why the OG ones got online servers up and running again years ago
Dang it wrong thread. No wonder I did see ang other post talking about this.
Wrong thread, yes :p

• This!
  • Sad
Reactions: madjoki and PC-tan