News Epic Games Store

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
IIRC Galy did imply Epic had a hand in Journey but in retrospect I have my doubts.
?

Journey package was on Steam even before the EGS announcement, it was Annapurna who gathered the rights to publish on PC at the same time as Flower but only Journey got moneyhatted because it's the one everyone remembers.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Ah, interesting. If memory serves me right, the answer was something coy along the lines of "comrade Stalin willed it" in response to how that happened. (on his podcast around the launch of EGS).

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm not a huge fan of the Sonic games, but I'm still disappointed in Sega that they are doing more EGS exclusives. I thought Sega was doing very well on pc? I guess Epic's millions are hard to refuse for every publisher, successful or not...

This said, I'm surprised to see the majority of highly wishlisted games still getting a multi-store or Steam-only release. I wonder if Epic didn't try to grab these games, or rather the dev or publisher refused the deal for whatever reason...

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I'm not a huge fan of the Sonic games, but I'm still disappointed in Sega that they are doing more EGS exclusives. I thought Sega was doing very well on pc? I guess Epic's millions are hard to refuse for every publisher, successful or not...

This said, I'm surprised to see the majority of highly wishlisted games still getting a multi-store or Steam-only release. I wonder if Epic didn't try to grab these games, or rather the dev or publisher refused the deal for whatever reason...
After SEGA taking a Stadia exclusivity deal of all things for Judgment despite the popularity of the Yakuza games on PC, them taking another Epic deal is not surprising (though still disappointing)...

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
After SEGA taking a Stadia exclusivity deal of all things for Judgment despite the popularity of the Yakuza games on PC, them taking another Epic deal is not surprising (though still disappointing)...
and Geoforce.

Sonic colors deal was signed LAST YEAR, package was in the database since 06/2020, last page with details about this..

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Oh, a while ago. NISA wanted to have the games on there and since they are paying us to do it :p

(Also, I have no personal qualms with any game being available on EGS in addition to Steam and GoG [and Windows store and the rotting carcass of Impulse for all I care :p])

Dec 5, 2018
I have no qualms with games being available everywhere (I believe that games should be available in as many places as possible, barring some technical limitation) I was just surprised since I hadn't even heard about it.

Though, I'll admit i don't really follow anything releated to the EGS (except for this thread).

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I have no qualms with games being available everywhere (I believe that games should be available in as many places as possible, barring some technical limitation) I was just surprised since I hadn't even heard about it.

Though, I'll admit i don't really follow anything releated to the EGS (except for this thread).
NISA has a huge issue with properly advertising where you can get their games on PC. They would mention CS4 for GOG and Steam in trailers but not EGS, EGS and Steam in advertising emails but not GOG, and Steam on their website but nowhere else. (This one was fixed).

They dont even advertise their EGS releases. They just show up on release day lol. R-TYPE FINAL 2 was the only one they advertised prior to launch. (CS3 was also announced for EGS a week before release which I guess also counts)

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

We also have a direct comparison to the Steam version when it was at its peak.

When the Steam version had about 2.8 million DAU, its peak concurrent playerbase was about 450k. So doing a bit of extrapolating and guesstiating, maybe the EGS version is doing about 320k peak concurrent?

Edit: I just realized that the 350k and 2 million numbers includes Steam and Game Pass and didn't really take them into account. Still, the vast majority of PC users are likely on Epic right now just due to the giveaway.

Reactions: Mor

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I just realized that the 350k and 2 million numbers includes Steam and Game Pass and didn't really take them into account. Still, the vast majority of PC users are likely on Epic right now just due to the giveaway.
Sure, that seems logical.

For info, I have tried to compute the DAU on Steam nowadays: assuming a typical daily session lasts 1 hour, it should be about 261k.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
So, out of the DAU shown on the following graph, which I need to check with a ruler, we should be able to roughly tell GamePass from Steam, unless I am completely off with my assumption of a typical daily session duration.

Edit: The ruler part is below:

45 green pixels ; 1 black pixel ; 13 red pixels.

45.5/(45+1+13) ~ 77%

So that is a DAU of 277k for the whole PC gamers (Steam and GamePass).

That would mean roughly:
  • 260 k Steam DAU,
  • 20 k GamePass DAU.
Then EGS happens and brings roughly:
  • 1.7 M Epic DAU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc and Mor

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Sure, that seems logical.

For info, I have tried to compute the DAU on Steam nowadays: assuming a typical daily session lasts 1 hour, it should be about 261k.

[Hidden content]

So, out of the DAU shown on the following graph, which I need to check with a ruler, we should be able to roughly tell GamePass from Steam, unless I am completely off with my assumption of a typical daily session duration.

Edit: The ruler part is below:

45 green pixels ; 1 black pixel ; 13 red pixels.

45.5/(45+1+13) ~ 77%

So that is a DAU of 277k for the whole PC gamers (Steam and GamePass).

That would mean roughly:
  • 260 k Steam DAU,
  • 20 k GamePass DAU.
Then EGS happens and brings roughly:
  • 1.7 M Epic DAU.
Are mobile phone players and DRM free players taken into consideration?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Are mobile phone players and DRM free players taken into consideration?
Those numbers are only for the PC version. The mobile numbers probably dwarf every other platform combined.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Old World developer, like prudis said, this one is most likely one of those cases in which Steam comes alongside another version (console perhaps?)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
w
Old World developer, like prudis said, this one is most likely one of those cases in which Steam comes alongside another version (console perhaps?)

I think people will have a better time continuing with Civ or get Humankind from what Ive played of Old World some days ago.

Reactions: Ge0force
Dec 5, 2018
It's been in the database for a while IIRC.

There was also another game, right?

Are they gonna use epic's payment or basically exist there but give 0 money to epic?

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
w

I think people will have a better time continuing with Civ or get Humankind from what Ive played of Old World some days ago.
Yeah, you are not the first one to mention this, quite unfortunate to be honest.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How do you know? That's just, really weird. I know Epic allows devs to do their own payment stuff, but... Oh who am I kidding, this store isn't meant to make money.
i'm assuming that's the reason why they aren't on steam ... it's not like they don't know steam exists (and how big it is)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
as was ordained

And the free game after that is probably RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS!

Seriously, my predictions:
1. an old Ubisoft AAA game that has active MTX
2. Genshin Impact
3. a 3- to 8-year-old AAA(A) single-player game
4. a big F2P game with >$100 MTX included

• Toucan

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
In a bit of multi store news, Going Medieval has been #1 on Steam since its release whereas it debuted at #20 on EGS (and #10 at GOG).. I have to preface again that Epic has a sale going on right now, but it gives a small glimpse as to how concurrent releases fare.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
i'm assuming that's the reason why they aren't on steam ... it's not like they don't know steam exists (and how big it is)
They know Steam exists, didn't MiHoyo had also a steam package at some point too? IDK but only reason Genshin is releasing on EGS is because Epic approached them and won't take a cent of their in app purchases while the rest of platforms would do.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
only reason Genshin is releasing on EGS is because Epic approached them and won't take a cent of their in app purchases while the rest of platforms would do.
yes, that's what i said

Reactions: Mor

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
In a bit of multi store news, Going Medieval has been #1 on Steam since its release whereas it debuted at #20 on EGS (and #10 at GOG).. I have to preface again that Epic has a sale going on right now, but it gives a small glimpse as to how concurrent releases fare.
There is 0 visibility for the game in EGS.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm sure the pitch is "make your game more visible to our huge base of Fortnite players" when in actuality it's the reverse that they strive for. Which of the two live service games will win out by eating up your time to play other games? :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

• This!
Reactions: prudis and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I see people mention Frostpunk as the freebie for tomorrow. I cannot verify their sources for now, so it might be a circle of quotes.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Tim seems to spent a ton of money buying exclusives but it seems that it doesn't have the needed impact.
All he does now is training his users to expect a freebie, what will happen when the free games stop? Are his partners happy with this plan so far? Because it looks like he's burning money.
With all these I still don't believe that EGS will become profitable in '23 ( or was 24?).

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I wanted to get Frostpunk since i like the genre and the game has good word of mouth so i have to thank Timmy for giving it for free.
Now i can check it out (sometime when i am not preoccupied with the MMOs i m currently playing) and buy it from steam or GOG if i like it.
I treat EGS as a free demo platform, that works well for me.

Reactions: Ge0force and Vantr