News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I noticed Genshin Impact was at the top of the best sellers chart today and it appears Mihoyo added EGS payment methods to the game. I find this surprising since I had assumed they would want to skirt Epic's fees completely. EGS will also likely see a large increase in revenue considering how much money Genshin makes. Also this makes me think a Steam version of Genshin isn't as unlikely as I had thought it would be.

Has Epic said if we'll get free games in 2022 too?
I haven't seen any confirmation, but I don't see why they wouldn't. It's relatively cheap and it keeps people engaged with the store.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I noticed Genshin Impact was at the top of the best sellers chart today and it appears Mihoyo added EGS payment methods to the game. I find this surprising since I had assumed they would want to skirt Epic's fees completely. EGS will also likely see a large increase in revenue considering how much money Genshin makes. Also this makes me think a Steam version of Genshin isn't as unlikely as I had thought it would be.
It surprised me too as other F2P games are completely out of the top sellers, but I have been checking daily and Genshin was just included today, we will see if it last, so far I think they are working on automation and something is not working as intended as some games are dropping faster than they should.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yesterday I was playing Alan Wake Remastered which made me really dissapointed in EOS. Alan Wake is one of my goats, so I was looking forwar dto replaying it, expecting great visual improvements. It was not, looks pretty much the same as the original game which I remember well (because it is one of my goats). Also, EOS cheevos are a shitshow. Sometimes they unlock, sometimes they don't and I have to restart the game. Cheevos also does not work well with speedhack in CheatEngine. Another big dissapoinment is that the DLC episodes do not have cheevos on EGS, but on Steam they do have. I mainly played the game on EGS for the cheevos, so having the DLC episodes lack cheevos demotivated me. I assume it is because of the XP point system that Epic has implemented with cheevos there is no cheevos for the 2 DLCs.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Teflon Baking Mat is a great for you mousepadless freaks. You can roll it up so it's portable too.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Another rare instance of publicly available redemption numbers for free games. I've mentioned it before, but some other figures I can remember are Troy Total War being redeemed 7.5 million times in 24 hours, Remnant: From the Ashes and PC Building Simulator having 10 million redemptions each, Star Wars Battlefront 2 having 19 million redemptions and Among Us having 15 million redemptions.

Reactions: thekeats1999

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Another rare instance of publicly available redemption numbers for free games. I've mentioned it before, but some other figures I can remember are Troy Total War being redeemed 7.5 million times in 24 hours, Remnant: From the Ashes and PC Building Simulator having 10 million redemptions each, Star Wars Battlefront 2 having 19 million redemptions and Among Us having 15 million redemptions.
Still, how many of those people translate into an actual sale though? Hasn't hat been the problem since day one of free games?

Last edited:
  • This!

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
So that's why Godfall hasn't appeared on Steam yet.
Yeah, I was wondering with prudis if this is a potential WWZ scenario in which Epic paid for an additional year, at least it's following a similar path.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Thats the gimped Godfall edition that will be on PS+ thats doesn't have the single player part of the game, and only "endgame" filler coop modes.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Thats the gimped Godfall edition that will be on PS+ thats doesn't have the single player part of the game, and only "endgame" filler coop modes.
The funny or sad part is it's an apparent improvement over the vanilla experience. The campaign is supposedly that bad.

PS+ users have to feel extra salty seeing how it's also going free on Epic.

------

Solar Ash was just released with no marketing it seems. Word is that performance is pretty rough. Bout 1 frame per dollar in some cases. Take that money and run.

Last edited:

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
One of the mods for the EGS subreddit posted this:

11bit Studios posted this like 10 minutes after the above tweet:

Was the mod misunderstanding what 11bit Studios were saying? It just sounds like 11bit Stuidos will use Unreal Engine 4 & 5 for their next 10 published/developed games?

Edit: It was a licensing agreement for Unreal Engine 4 & 5:

Last edited:
  • Toucan
  • This!
Reactions: prudis and Gintaro

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

Was the mod misunderstanding what 11bit Studios were saying? It just sounds like 11bit Stuidos will use Unreal Engine 4 & 5 for their next 10 published/developed games?
Most likely just engine agreement, nothing so far seems to indicate a publishing partnership.

Reactions: Gintaro

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia

Yea I was wondering that when I see the reddit post. From my understanding its just a partnership on engine usage for ue4 and ue5. The (developed and in publishing) part is probably the part where the mod misunderstood. IMO it just means that the 10 games is already developing and already have its publishing done.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

Edit: It was a licensing agreement for Unreal Engine 4 & 5:

The Twitter post that it links to only mentions an unreal deal and no publishing deals. In fact 11bit is a publisher as well.

Either he has jumped the gun on an announcement, or doesn't understand the Twitter post.

• This!
Reactions: Gintaro

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Epic started following Square-Enix on Twitter and FF7R's rumored Playstation exclusivity ends soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see the EGS version be announced at TGA next week.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
One of the few sane members of r/fuckepic posted some interesting news about EGS:

Tldr: only 3 games exceeded their MG, Epic is slowing down money hatting 3rd party games, revenue is a lot less than initially estimated.

Edit: be sure to read Myraglyths comment as well.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Man can Epic just fuck off to where the sun doesn't shine please.
EGS is whatever, but them trying to weasel themselves into necessity via EOS is the next garbage "strategy" that will all but make the PC gaming experience worse for everyone, but this time also even if you ignore the EGS.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
One of the few sane members of r/fuckepic postnews about EGS:

Tldr: only 3 games exceeded their MG, Epic is slowing down money hatting 3rd party games, revenue is a lot less than initially estimated.

I find it interesting that they lowered their 2020 projections from $401 million to $358 million and they still missed that by a good margin by ending the year at $265 million. For what it's worth, I think their 2021 revenue will see a pretty big boost due to having bigger exclusives compared to 2020, getting sim ship for a number of AAA releases and finally being able to monetize Genshin Impact. I'm guessing their 2021 revenue will be in the $350-450 million range.

Man can Epic just fuck off to where the sun doesn't shine please.
EGS is whatever, but them trying to weasel themselves into necessity via EOS is the next garbage "strategy" that will all but make the PC gaming experience worse for everyone, but this time also even if you ignore the EGS.
EOS being beholden to Fortnite is terrible.

Dec 5, 2018

There're a couple of interesting tidbits :

Slide 122:

Significant Challenges
Unwinding Steamworks integrations
Yes, Epic Games are specifically looking to attack Steamworks as a strategy.

Solutions to enable success
Epic or 3rd Party develops cross storefront social and matchmaking solutions for EGS as a priority after GDC (Disbelief was interested in this project after DICE mtg)
And this makes it pretty clear that their "matchmaking solution for EGS" - Epic Online Services - is a "solution to enable success" of "unwinding Steamworks" and boosting EGS' market share. Which we see by their actions in 2021 anyway (Rocket League, Fall Guys) but it's interesting to see this was part of the plan by June 2020 and probably long before.

Disbelief are likely Disbelief LLC, a development / consulting firm that market themselves on services and tech solutions including profiling, middleware, VR and general integration. To my knowledge they have no involvement in Epic Online Services as of late 2021 so this interest might have come to nothing.
So yes, they confirm their push for EOS (which wouldn't be that bad if they separated their fornite servers from the rest ... but since they seem to want to spent as little money as possible in their servers).

Slide 191:

Payment Processor Fees
Epic Games Store: [Snip] Amounts above 6% are passed on to the purchaser at time of transaction.
TLDR another thing not included in the magic 12% split that gets added to the amount the customer has to pay instead.
I think we already knew that, but it's good seeing it in writing.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
When 63% of titles don't meet minimum guarantees, Epic doesn't really have the luxury to not have discoverability avenues with the number of games on the store now, and a rotating list of five to ten hand-selected games just won't cut it either. It will be amusing when they actually implement algorithm-driven recommendations after their whole schtick about this being a problem on Steam.

I also wonder how much longer they'll keep holding off on a user review system when so many of the smaller games on their store do not have Opencritic listings. That's not especially helpful either. As much flak as user reviews get from a certain circle of the dev and user space, I base a lot of my purchasing decisions around them because many games just don't get any or enough critic reviews.

From the outside looking in, Epic seems oddly inflexible when it comes to their store compared to what the adaptability and fast iteration they show with Fortnite, for example. I'm sure this must be even more frustrating for developers than users.

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Since customers pay fees above >6%, developers probably pay 3-6% portion

If that is the case, there are potentially purchases on their platform at a 20% fee to the developer/publisher. Since there is the optionally entered Creator Codes by the customer. Which starts at 5% rev share and is noted in that snippet, and I believe it can be set higher.

Reactions: Arc

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
When 63% of titles don't meet minimum guarantees
According to that document, only 3 titles have reached the MG so far. On 150+ exclusives, that's actually more than 98% that doesn't meet the MG.

Seeing Epic's money hatting failing fills me with joy to be honest 😁

Edit: according to some indie dev on Era, lots of indies have given up on EGS because they expect their games won't be accepted anyway.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Ge0force mind to do me a full TL;DR? I would read it but right now I'm in the GOTG mood and I'm a bit out of my rational mind haha