News Epic Games Store

Justice Raynes

Dec 13, 2018
I've been tempted by the idea of the Mafia 1 remake being only $10, but I'm also extremely frightened by the idea that Tim Sweeney could flip the switch on the store at any moment and all we will be left with is a digital receipt, empty condolences and a big hole in the digital wallet. Scary future for the EGS, to say the least.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
I've been tempted by the idea of the Mafia 1 remake being only $10, but I'm also extremely frightened by the idea that Tim Sweeney could flip the switch on the store at any moment and all we will be left with is a digital receipt, empty condolences and a big hole in the digital wallet. Scary future for the EGS, to say the least.
i already lived this with GFWL Store

Sometimes they had colossal discounts, i bought AoE 3 for 0,30€ back in the days for example

Then one day MS closed the store, all the GFWL SW was deprecated, and i learned a lesson.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You know what? I completely understand that, coupons does make EGS tempting to use, but I also don't trust Epic with PC gaming, we have no idea how EGS will be in the future. So buying something on EGS does feel like a risk.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Technically speaking you take this risk whenever you buy anything digitally. from anyone, whether that be pc games, console games, movies, music etc.
Now you can argue likelihoods of course but nevertheless that risk remains whenever and wherever you buy digital goods.
Personally that's why I'm a big advocate still of physical purchases wherever it remains an option.

If you're aware of that, are getting it cheap, are happy with the price, and will actually play it rather than let it sit in your backlog then just go for it.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
FF7 Remake topped the best seller chart. :negative-blob:

Tim is so stubborn that he's willing to have Fortnite banned from iOS for years to pursue his little crusade. I don't think you have to worry about EGS going anywhere for a long time.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
How would I do this?
I was looking into some network monitoring/security software and found Portmaster. It tries to tell you what apps connect to where and lets you block connections to certain domains. I can't tell you how successful it would be since I haven't used that functionality or played an EOS game to try it out.

Here's a screenshot of what it found Days Gone connecting to:

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Technically speaking you take this risk whenever you buy anything digitally. from anyone, whether that be pc games, console games, movies, music etc.
Now you can argue likelihoods of course but nevertheless that risk remains whenever and wherever you buy digital goods.
Personally that's why I'm a big advocate still of physical purchases wherever it remains an option.

If you're aware of that, are getting it cheap, are happy with the price, and will actually play it rather than let it sit in your backlog then just go for it.
Physical copies are not even a guarantee anymore. A firmware push can brick consoles. These days, a disk is just a key permission do download the game from a server somewhere.

Unless you're torrenting images on a petabyte-sized HDD, nothing is assured.

That said, yes, Steam has been reliable. I'm old enough to remember this very conversation, "What happens to my games if Steam/Valve fail?" And Valve published articles promising that they would never flip a kill switch.

Well, pray for GabeN's health, because if some other nefarious entity at a company like EA or Take Two, etc. ever got their hands on Steam, whew, I'd rather not think about it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I honestly trust the reliability of my Steam games these days more than my physical games. I mean, physical games can go missing, discs can stop working (like from scratches) and my PC doesn't even have a disc drive any longer.

Also, these days, you have to update games anyway, all the content is not on the disc.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Physical copies are not even a guarantee anymore. A firmware push can brick consoles. These days, a disk is just a key permission do download the game from a server somewhere.

Unless you're torrenting images on a petabyte-sized HDD, nothing is assured.

That said, yes, Steam has been reliable. I'm old enough to remember this very conversation, "What happens to my games if Steam/Valve fail?" And Valve published articles promising that they would never flip a kill switch.

Well, pray for GabeN's health, because if some other nefarious entity at a company like EA or Take Two, etc. ever got their hands on Steam, whew, I'd rather not think about it.
By and large I agree with you, but on the bolded, people keep saying that but it’s for the most part not true

Last edited:

Justice Raynes

Dec 13, 2018

The revealing Epic vs Apple lawsuit really put a perspective on how unsustainable EGS really is. Tim might seem like a crusader, but even he must know when to cut his losses. How many years before Tim decides to give up? I'm thinking three. With Steam you never get the notion that it will go away anytime soon, even with taking into account the crazy scenarios Gaben might get himself into. On the other hand EGS seems like a ticking time bomb, especially after that revealing lawsuit. That scares me, especially as someone who likes to replay games from time to time.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I saw a post about Salt & Sanctuary and Second Extinction showing up on a South Korea ratings site so they'll probably be freebies at some point too.

Reactions: thekeats1999

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
The revealing Epic vs Apple lawsuit really put a perspective on how unsustainable EGS really is. Tim might seem like a crusader, but even he must know when to cut his losses. How many years before Tim decides to give up? I'm thinking three. With Steam you never get the notion that it will go away anytime soon, even with taking into account the crazy scenarios Gaben might get himself into. On the other hand EGS seems like a ticking time bomb, especially after that revealing lawsuit. That scares me, especially as someone who likes to replay games from time to time.
I don’t disagree but my wider point still remains the same,
Basically anything you buy digitally these days from anywhere is a license, and a license can be revoked. The likelihoods of this happening can be debated depending on the service but nevertheless the point is true.

Justice Raynes

Dec 13, 2018
I don’t disagree but my wider point still remains the same,
Basically anything you buy digitally these days from anywhere is a license, and a license can be revoked. The likelihoods of this happening can be debated depending on the service but nevertheless the point is true.
I understand what you're saying, but to me the likelihood of Steam shutting down or Steam users losing their library is so small it's not even worth thinking about.

My "beef" with physical games is that they take up too much space. Doesn't help that when I bought Infinite Warfare it came with multiple discs that only installed half of the game IIRC, and the other half you just download it on Steam.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Is it an anti-botting measure? I know it use to be easy for folks to just run scripts to snag up free games.
Yes. (That's why some scripts use proxies to bypass limit)

"Claiming the game 5 times within 24h will trigger a 24h cooldown period. To avoid this, use some kind of proxy or VPN. "

In this case it could've been just Epic bugging out due to Fortnite giveaway crashing servers tho.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
By and large I agree with you, but on the bolded, people keep saying that but it’s for the most part not true

I wonder if the 80% excludes Xbox altogether or if that's an inclusive metric?

And, do these numbers include PC titles?

There's always Nintendo at least.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I wonder if the 80% excludes Xbox altogether or if that's an inclusive metric?

And, do these numbers include PC titles?

There's always Nintendo at least.
Can’t say for certain but I’d guess it’s PlayStation and Nintendo only
They stopped covering Xbox a little while back cos of Series X DRM
I highly doubt PC is tested

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The Eternal Cylinder | Download and Buy Today - Epic Games Store

Because of the exclusivity i have never heard of this game? Has anyone played it?
I've never heard of this one either.

It's 82% from 19 reviews on OpenCritic.

Its PCGamingWiki page is pretty empty, which suggests to me no one's really bothered with it. Obviously being on EGS, it has no user reviews or forums so there's no naturally triaged locations to get on the ground opinions.

Bit of a ghost, this one. I'd give it wide berth and wait for Steam so we can see how it fares on the forums and community reviews.

If you do buy it on EGS, I'd be extra mindful of the refund window while playing.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Not sure why, but Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is actually cheaper on the EGS than steam. For me the Steam version is £30 and the EGS version is £23.99.

Still to expensive for me (and being on EGS as well) so no sale. However if you don't mind and use the current voucher you can grab it for more than 50% off.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The Eternal Cylinder | Download and Buy Today - Epic Games Store

Because of the exclusivity i have never heard of this game? Has anyone played it?
ACE team of ZenoClash and Rock of Ages are behind it. I think it started out as an internal tech demo that over a long period of time they decided to make into a full game. Pretty sure the first video for it is from 2015

().

Jim from RPS seemed to like it, his review here

Still waiting for a steam or gog release myself because I really enjoy ACETeam's work

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The best sellers chart today is weird since Hitman 3 isn't on the list, and I'm sure it would be selling better than something like Detroit Become Human. Also they changed their most played section to a scrolling list, but games you would think would make that list like Rocket League, Dead by Daylight and Genshin Impact aren't on it, but there's a clickable link that goes back to the old list which hasn't been updated in awhile.

Trying to get any sort of information from the top lists gives me a headache.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The best sellers chart today is weird since Hitman 3 isn't on the list, and I'm sure it would be selling better than something like Detroit Become Human. Also they changed their most played section to a scrolling list, but games you would think would make that list like Rocket League, Dead by Daylight and Genshin Impact aren't on it, but there's a clickable link that goes back to the old list which hasn't been updated in awhile.

You mean the best seller list is weird all the time, right?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
That's why some of us get the data and won't question things, just we won't believe it haha

• Toucan
Reactions: Arc

undu

Mar 17, 2019
An analysis on EGS data seems to point out what we already knew that the Epic is dialing down on bought exclusivities because they've been a failure all around and it's transitioning to publishing.

So I expect more studios to be bought in order to capture games from Steam :(

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
An analysis on EGS data seems to point out what we already knew that the Epic is dialing down on bought exclusivities because they've been a failure all around and it's transitioning to publishing.

So I expect more studios to be bought in order to capture games from Steam :(
I guess Papa Tencent maybe can help

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’d rather Epic take the risk and fund games from start to finish than cherry pick exclusives. For starters, it’s a very public example in case anyone else wants to try that shit in the future.

It also opens up funding for games that otherwise wouldn’t exist. And Epic will now be wholly responsible for the poor sales if they make a game EGS exclusive. And the balance sheet of them not being on Steam will make them wince.

This is a good thing.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I wonder if EGP titles will ever come to Steam. Before the GeForce Now leak, I would have said "no way", but the fact there was an entry for Alan Wake Remastered makes me reconsider my initial stance. I guess we'll see in about 9 months.