News Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Sterling's heel turn is hilarious to me. Those downvotes to his 'Screw Steam' video really sent a strong message.
tbh i don't really think he changed his stance .... even in that video he said what epic are doing is shit ... it's just that most of it was about steam and its problems (not that i think assets flips are a problem, but whatever) ... it was just poorly timed, if anything ... because he released it at the same time everyone else was posting tonnes and tonnes of positive articles and videos about egs

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
yeah, i'll never understand this ... with every new bit of "epic" news i see lots of people on twitter saying stuff like "oh boy, now the steam fanboys will be really pissed ... good!" ... and i'm like - why is this making you so happy? what is wrong with you?!
Well Epic wanted to create a console-like atmosphere in the PC space and now these people on twitter are following that idea whether they realize it or not.

Everything now is about "drinking fanboy tears" or watching the world burn because everyone in society is secretly 8 years old and gets off on watching people get mad.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well Epic wanted to create a console-like atmosphere in the PC space and now these people on twitter are following that idea whether they realize it or not.

Everything now is about "drinking fanboy tears" or watching the world burn because everyone in society is secretly 8 years old and gets off on watching people get mad.
apparently ... and i'll never be able to understand it :(

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Why's Rami hating on a defenseless female industry member riling up an angry mob against her over a throwaway tweet about not going EGS exclusive :notlikethisblob:

Is he gonna cheer if she faces repercussions over this backfiring he's attempting and consider it a victory for his cause? What is his cause over this?

How is not going EGS exclusive not wanting to make more money? How is going EGS exclusive the only way to make more money now? Given her statement was over future games or dlc or whatever given their appearance on the EGS E3, sorry, the PC Gaming E3 Show, not out of the blue like he's replying.

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019

I honestly cannot stand Rami.

Gotta love the comments below... Anyone who doesn't want PC gaming to be ruined with exclusivity bullshit is part of the "angry gamer crowd" or a "steam loyalist."
Huh.. that's quite the coincidence, while I was out mowing today I had the random thought of, "I wonder if Rami will respond and try to bully that dev." Guess so.

It's a shame.. I used to like Rami.

Edit: I should mention that my respect for Rami died a while ago, not just because of this. Back even before the Epic stuff when he suddenly started being weirdly aggressive.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Huh.. that's quite the coincidence, while I was out mowing today I had the random thought of, "I wonder if Rami will respond and try to bully that dev." Guess so.

It's a shame.. I used to like Rami.

Edit: I should mention that my respect for Rami died a while ago, not just because of this. Back even before the Epic stuff when he suddenly started being weirdly aggressive.
He should just have taken his pay and shut up, instead of antagonizing people who disagree with him.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Rami strikes me as a guy who thinks we dont deserve his art.
He strikes me as someone lacking relevance trying to stay in a conversation, and trolling is an easy way to do that. Mind you im not 100% familiar with the guy outside of his EGS fellating, so as a random irrelevant guy on a web forum, i could be wrong.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
He should just have taken his pay and shut up, instead of antagonizing people who disagree with him.
It's strange since he used to seemingly fight and care for all indies but when he practically dubbed himself the King of Indies a couple years ago the mask came off and showed that he only cares for himself and those that agree with/worship him.

And only for as long as they do so.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah, the tweet is stupid for several reasons... but trying to paint the current chosen few of Epic as struggling indies is incredible disingenuous.

As much as these "hot takes" annoy the hell out of me, I try to view as a "positive" that all this EGS drama is at least making several people and places show their true faces. From the one-sided press coverage to developers displaying hugely inflated egos and shitting on the customer base.

Repeating myself... but I can't really blame a indie team for taking what's probably a huge amount of money. But unless it's on the Epic contract, treating the people responsible for your previous successes as idiots/angry mob is an "extra" that tells a lot about your core values.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I can't really blame a indie team for taking what's probably a huge amount of money.
yeah, neither can i ... if they have a choice between this or closing down their studio - then the choice is obvious

but at least be honest about it ... just tell people you took the money because you don't want to lose the studio ... that's all i'm really asking for - just be honest

and hell, even if you took the money just because you want money - still just say that ... i'd be MUCH more understanding if they said that, instead of stuff like "it's good for our players", "we want to bring the game to a wider audience", or "we think the epic store will be perfect for conducting early access for our game" (all of which are paraphrased but real quotes, by the way)

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
and hell, even if you took the money just because you want money - still just say that ... i'd be MUCH more understanding if they said that, instead of stuff like "it's good for our players", "we want to bring the game to a wider audience", or "we think the epic store will be perfect for conducting early access for our game" (all of which are paraphrased but real quotes, by the way)
Same here. I would really prefer a simple "look, I know it will upset some of you, but it really was too much money to pass up" instead of those bs quotes. Speaking of which, they are all way to similar to each other for not be at least a crappy "PR guidelines" from Epic.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Gotta love the comments below... Anyone who doesn't want PC gaming to be ruined with exclusivity bullshit is part of the "angry gamer crowd" or a "steam loyalist."
All those plucky indies in need. Heart Machine, Rebel Galaxy, Supergiant, all these unproven little studios. Clearly EGS is extending every indie a helping hand, right?

Or was that Steam, by letting everyone access their infrastructure to publish, distribute and benefit from their userbase and built-in advertising tools, I'm not sure anymore.

Seriously, what Rami is doing is a good example of this circling of the wagons that I really hate in this industry. What's right doesn't matter, what matters is defending their circle of friends while nobody in it is thinking anymore.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Same here. I would really prefer a simple "look, I know it will upset some of you, but it really was too much money to pass up" instead of those bs quotes. Speaking of which, they are all way to similar to each other for not be at least a crappy "PR guidelines" from Epic.
yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if epic gave them all a "here's how to explain this situation to your players" guide or something

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if epic gave them all a "here's how to explain this situation to your players" guide or something
Well I'm sure they're forbidden from saying pretty much anything that even begins to sound like it's not the best thing to ever happen to them. But I wouldn't think they told them exactly what to say. It's just some shit Epic said, and this dev said, and that dev said, and they felt it sounds good without breaking the guidelines and NDA and shit so they all follow a similar pattern spontaneously rather than by instruction. Or not.

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

Rami has turned into a complete shit-heel. Maybe he always was that way and just hid it better, I dunno, but I do know that this Tweet is dumb as hell.
  1. Epic itself is a shithole of development crunch. "Hardworking devs" taking money for exclusivity deals that was made off the back of Epic's hardworking devs slaving over Fortnite is like the goddamn definition of labor eating labor.
  2. Most devs are hardworking. Using language about things like their work ethic is distracting from the latter part of the sentence about if they "need the money." So far, the EGS store is not actually about cultivating the indie scene, it's about playing kingmaker with indies that already have hits, publicity and fanbases.
  3. I wouldn't necessarily call every developer that's taken the deal outright "soulless," but given that some of them have literally sold out people who gave them money (the crowdfunded situations), I'd be pretty happy to call at least some of them soulless hacks. I'd also fairly happy to call the devs that start using annoying corporate doublespeak to justify the deal "soulless." Whereas at least some of them like Coffee Stain were mostly upfront about it.
  4. This is tangential and more of a meta complaint, but I also generally dislike this entire line of framing that gets used to the tune of "Poor devs have to eat, don't cheer against them!" It's been peddled mostly by people with ties to the industry for the past few years, and it's tired. Yes, they should be able to eat, but I have no responsibility to cheer for a company that does unethical things or conducts unethical business (e.g., I'm quite okay cheering for the downfall of EA, even if it means many, many people might lose jobs). Epic exclusivity deals haven't even remotely crossed the line of bullshittery compared to something like EA taking advantage of gambling addictions, but I wish people would stop framing things this way. To return to the first point, why should the EGS exclusive devs "get to eat" at the expense of the physical and mental wellbeing of Epic's own devs?
Give me a break Rami.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Who is this Rami guy? Serious question. I know nothing about him. Is he a game dev?
Yes. He is the co founder of a dev called Vlambeer.

Per Wikipedia, these are the games that they have developed.
  • Super Crate Box (2010)
  • Karate (2011)
  • Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (2011)
  • Gun Godz (2012)
  • Yeti Hunter (2012)
  • Ridiculous Fishing (2013)
  • Luftrausers (2014)
  • Nuclear Throne (2015)
  • Ultra Bugs (TBA)

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else

• Super Crate Box (2010)
  • Karate (2011)
  • Gun Godz (2012)
  • Yeti Hunter (2012)
  • Luftrausers (2014)
  • Nuclear Throne (2015)
  • Ultra Bugs (TBA)
Ah, thanks. Vlambeer. I have one or two games from Vlambeer in my game library.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

• Super Crate Box (2010)
  • Karate (2011)
  • Gun Godz (2012)
  • Yeti Hunter (2012)
  • Luftrausers (2014)
  • Nuclear Throne (2015)
  • Ultra Bugs (TBA)
Thanks. I'll be sure to vote with my wallet against this prick.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I've actually blocked Rami on Twitter some days ago, because his constant bitterness getting retweeted onto my timeline was just too much.

His entire persona has become insanely negative, not just regarding videogames.
He couldn't comment a cute cat video without mentioning at least one genocide as a reason for why we shouldn't be happy about anything.

Dude needs help

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
tbh i don't really think he changed his stance .... even in that video he said what epic are doing is shit ... it's just that most of it was about steam and its problems (not that i think assets flips are a problem, but whatever) ... it was just poorly timed, if anything ... because he released it at the same time everyone else was posting tonnes and tonnes of positive articles and videos about egs
I have to disagree. I watched every video of his on this situation and his stance has been hostile towards Steam and positive towards the EGS. He explicitily endorsed the EGS in that video and he provided all sorts of excuses and justifications for Epic along the way. He wants to do a heel turn on this since public opinion is very clearly against Epic and he's trying to save face in the process.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I've actually blocked Rami on Twitter some days ago, because his constant bitterness getting retweeted onto my timeline was just too much.

His entire persona has become insanely negative, not just regarding videogames.
He couldn't comment a cute cat video without mentioning at least one genocide as a reason for why we shouldn't be happy about anything.

Dude needs help
Lol, case in point:

Reactions: NarohDethan

Naoshibu

Apr 17, 2019
I have to disagree. I watched every video of his on this situation and his stance has been hostile towards Steam and positive towards the EGS. He explicitily endorsed the EGS in that video and he provided all sorts of excuses and justifications for Epic along the way. He wants to do a heel turn on this since public opinion is very clearly against Epic and he's trying to save face in the process.
I agree, i stopped watching his videos after the egs endorsing one, and the silence that followed while a lot of games became exclusive to the shitshop.
He was clearly in favor of egs and now he's trying to turn back with the tail behind legs, no thanks.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Yeah, the tweet is stupid for several reasons... but trying to paint the current chosen few of Epic as struggling indies is incredible disingenuous.

As much as these "hot takes" annoy the hell out of me, I try to view as a "positive" that all this EGS drama is at least making several people and places show their true faces. From the one-sided press coverage to developers displaying hugely inflated egos and shitting on the customer base.

Repeating myself... but I can't really blame a indie team for taking what's probably a huge amount of money. But unless it's on the Epic contract, treating the people responsible for your previous successes as idiots/angry mob is an "extra" that tells a lot about your core values.
I couldn't agree more. Devs don't need to behave like this. If they choose to do so, they are showing who they are. I'm tempted to put all of Vlambeer's Steam games on ignore because of this guy.

No dev is entitled to my money, and the quickest way to lose my interest is acting as if they were.

yeah, neither can i ... if they have a choice between this or closing down their studio - then the choice is obvious

but at least be honest about it ... just tell people you took the money because you don't want to lose the studio ... that's all i'm really asking for - just be honest

Indeed. I'm not stupid (or at least I hope so), I know you're not doing this for the players' sake. So please don't insult my intelligence with such a ridiculous lie. Hey, I like money too, it is awesome and I never can get enough! So as long as you're not doing something illegal or harming other people in the process, go ahead and get more of it. Just don't say it's for my benefit.

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
"is rampantly capitalist"

condemns capitalism → defends a multi billion dollar corporation's business practices at every opportunity

:smart-thinking-blob:
Capitalism is only good when I can get a cut of the profits.

This argument can also backfire on him. Someone could have been excited for EGS games if it weren't for the small "overworking employees to death" thing that's going on at Epic. Two can play this guilt by association game, you know.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
In an article about the sales of The Division 2, Gamespot wrote that "the Uplay version for PC saw sales grow 10X over the first game". This sounds impressive, but then there's this: "sales of the PC edition were in line with Division 1"

As Alexandros pointed out on Era, this doesn't seem a good result at all. As far as I know, The Division became very popular on pc after Ubisoft fixed the game with dozens of patches, and even more when the game was in a Humble Monthly bundle. No increase in sales for the sequel sounds disappointing. I guess the Fortnite crowd didn't flock to Epic's Store to buy The Division 2 after all?

This also makes me think about the sales of The Division on Steam. Is it possible that the first game sold 10 times as much on Steam than it did on uPlay?

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
In an article about the sales of The Division 2, Gamespot wrote that "the Uplay version for PC saw sales grow 10X over the first game". This sounds impressive, but then there's this: "sales of the PC edition were in line with Division 1"

As Alexandros pointed out on Era, this doesn't seem a good result at all. As far as I know, The Division became very popular on pc after Ubisoft fixed the game with dozens of patches, and even more when the game was in a Humble Monthly bundle. No increase in sales for the sequel sounds disappointing. I guess the Fortnite crowd didn't flock to Epic's Store to buy The Division 2 after all?

This also makes me think about the sales of The Division on Steam. Is it possible that the first game sold 10 times as much on Steam than it did on uPlay?
Yeah, it seems like some sites are trying real hard to spin regular numbers into something crazier.

"ditching Steam boosted Uplay sales on PC" I mean, no shit? Ubisoft removed choice from the equation.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The Epic mega sale started. I might be biased since I don't like Epic, but a 75% sale on pre-orders speaks louder than any "the store is doing very very good" statement.
they must be paying for that out of their own pockets ... there's no way in hell all those devs and publishers agreed to THOSE discounts (if they aren't being paid full prices by epic)

also - "we won't do big sales" ... lol ... took 'em 6 months