News Epic Games Store

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, it should be noted that games which were successful on EGS would be those who would have been successful elsewhere anyways. How do you design a game to be Epic exclusive anyway? Only major way to be attractive for moneyhat is greater attention, which is something you can't really aim for other than making (or having an illusion of) good game to generate sufficient hype.

Reactions: gabbo

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Of course, the timeline isn't big enough to make this analogy work. The point was, that we are on the brink of such a scenario.
And I am 100% sure that there are some devs right now whose first priority is to make their game pretty for exclusive bait. Making the game fun or appealing for customers comes second or third.

Why would Timmy buy those? Oscar bait. There are hundreds of beautiful games in the past that had good to great reviews but found no audience.
Just buy those, no-one will ever know how bad these performed, just that EGS had critically acclaimed beautiful games in their portfolio while Steam is "littered with trash and trashy looking games" like Rimworld, Factorio, Kerbal, Stardew, Dwarf Fortress, Terraria, and so on.

Reactions: C-Dub

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
I've said many times that I have a lot of faith in the PC gaming community. I feel confident that Epic will fail.
I really wish I had your faith, I remember the times when PC gamers said "HA HA fuck off Microsoft we aint paying for online" and "Jesus Microsoft this is the shittiest game client I have ever had the misfortune to use get rid of this GFWL garbage". But now the PC environment isn't the same as it was several years ago. It seems as if everyone went to bed one night and found their patience had been surgically removed.

I have several PC gaming friends that are buying RDR 2 day one from the Rockstar social club shite. One of the main incentives is the two free games you can get if you pre-order ....... you know OLD games ........ that they have ...... on steam .......... and never play anymore. Plus there is the whole "well you might as well get it from the social club store since you will have to use the store even if you buy it from steam". This is of course after they have spent plenty of hours bitching and moaning about buying GTA 5 from the social club store and it not updating. I swear sometimes I just sit here thinking "am I the crazy one ?"

Now you may say that "well at least they are getting it from rockstar and not epic" but this will hurt steam too. If a decent number buy direct from Rockstar I can easily see Rockstar going the same route as Ubisoft and leaving steam altogether. I honestly don't think that the end result of all this is gonna be a happy ending for Steam, the PC or us as customers and users but hey at least people got to play a game a month artificially early ........ yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I'm wondering how long the new Batman will be an EGS exclusive, if at all (assuming that Warner isn't cooking their own launcher). Unless WB really likes Epic there's no way that it will be a 1 year considering the signs we are seeing now.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Of course, the timeline isn't big enough to make this analogy work. The point was, that we are on the brink of such a scenario.
And I am 100% sure that there are some devs right now whose first priority is to make their game pretty for exclusive bait. Making the game fun or appealing for customers comes second or third.

Why would Timmy buy those? Oscar bait. There are hundreds of beautiful games in the past that had good to great reviews but found no audience.
Just buy those, no-one will ever know how bad these performed, just that EGS had critically acclaimed beautiful games in their portfolio while Steam is "littered with trash and trashy looking games" like Rimworld, Factorio, Kerbal, Stardew, Dwarf Fortress, Terraria, and so on.
How would a dev design a game around the idea of "exclusive bait" if there is no set standard for what that means AND it requires an existing fanbase to be picked up on? It's not like Oscar bait which is colloquial, but actually is a loose set of conventions all those films tend to share. RDR2 is unlike Metro is unlike Satisfactory is unlike Ashen is unlike Ooblets both graphically and from a gameplay perspective, unless you're saying a game just needs pretty graphics to have Tim Sweeney come calling, in which case I respectfully disagree. The games that get the deals are either existing franchises with built in fanbases wanting the newest entry or are new IP that look interesting/fun and find a following because of that.

I know we joke that indie devs aren't always good with the business side of things, but if 'make a good game' is not the top priority, you're sunk before you finish your first line of code.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm wondering how long the new Batman will be an EGS exclusive, if at all (assuming that Warner isn't cooking their own launcher). Unless WB really likes Epic there's no way that it will be a 1 year considering the signs we are seeing now.
pretty sure it's gonna be 1 year ... not because Tim has this much money, but because WB don't really give a fuck and probably won't ask for much (especially after all that stuff that happened with Arkham Knight on steam)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
How would a dev design a game around the idea of "exclusive bait" if there is no set standard for what that means AND it requires an existing fanbase to be picked up on? It's not like Oscar bait which is colloquial, but actually is a loose set of conventions all those films tend to share. RDR2 is unlike Metro is unlike Satisfactory is unlike Ashen is unlike Ooblets both graphically and from a gameplay perspective, unless you're saying a game just needs pretty graphics to have Tim Sweeney come calling, in which case I respectfully disagree. The games that get the deals are either existing franchises with built in fanbases wanting the newest entry or are new IP that look interesting/fun and find a following because of that.

I know we joke that indie devs aren't always good with the business side of things, but if 'make a good game' is not the top priority, you're sunk before you finish your first line of code.
You are still arguing from the current released list of exclusives. I am talking about the future and what some devs/pubs will try to do if Epic continues to buy exclusives.
It is much MUCH easier to make your game beautiful and review well than to find an audience. Just ask Bethesda Publishing or other high profile failures. Making your game fun and enticing to the customer is the hardest part unless you have already an audience. If you don't need to concentrate on making your game appealing to customers, you can concentrate on presentation over substance. We know how easy it is to get high review scores.

Reactions: C-Dub

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
pretty sure it's gonna be 1 year ... not because Tim has this much money, but because WB don't really give a fuck and probably won't ask for much (especially after all that stuff that happened with Arkham Knight on steam)
Dunno lashy, it's a WB Montreal game, and isn't Batman super popular right now? They could easily ask for a number close to what Gearbox did for Borderlands 3.

Deleted member 113

Another day, and I'm still waiting for my Shenmue 3 refund.
16 days since I applied for a refund (on the day refund requests opened), 10 days since the first refunds were sent, and I'm still waiting.

I thought I couldn't possibly get more pissed at these fuckers than I already was. Guess I was wrong. :giggle:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
16 days since I applied for a refund (on the day refund requests opened), 10 days since the first refunds were sent, and I'm still waiting.

I thought I couldn't possibly get more pissed at these fuckers than I already was. Guess I was wrong. :giggle:
It will come. Dunno why they say 60 days, but they are clearly just taking their time with these refunds.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Dunno lashy, it's a WB Montreal game, and isn't Batman super popular right now? They could easily ask for a number close to what Gearbox did for Borderlands 3.
exactly ... it's a WB Montreal game ... WB to this day pretends Oranges never happened :p

Reactions: MJunioR

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I really wish I had your faith, I remember the times when PC gamers said "HA HA fuck off Microsoft we aint paying for online" and "Jesus Microsoft this is the shittiest game client I have ever had the misfortune to use get rid of this GFWL garbage". But now the PC environment isn't the same as it was several years ago. It seems as if everyone went to bed one night and found their patience had been surgically removed.

I have several PC gaming friends that are buying RDR 2 day one from the Rockstar social club shite. One of the main incentives is the two free games you can get if you pre-order ....... you know OLD games ........ that they have ...... on steam .......... and never play anymore. Plus there is the whole "well you might as well get it from the social club store since you will have to use the store even if you buy it from steam". This is of course after they have spent plenty of hours bitching and moaning about buying GTA 5 from the social club store and it not updating. I swear sometimes I just sit here thinking "am I the crazy one ?"

Now you may say that "well at least they are getting it from rockstar and not epic" but this will hurt steam too. If a decent number buy direct from Rockstar I can easily see Rockstar going the same route as Ubisoft and leaving steam altogether. I honestly don't think that the end result of all this is gonna be a happy ending for Steam, the PC or us as customers and users but hey at least people got to play a game a month artificially early ........ yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.
That is to be expected because the demographics of PC gaming have changed over the years. The audience is much bigger now and it's logical that different people will have different tolerance levels towards certain events. For example, I haven't bought an EA game since they left Steam but others are fine with buying games from publisher stores. As long as core PC gamers present a united front against Epic, which they have, Epic will fail. I'm sure of that and I am sure that the worst is already behind us.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Ditto, it's really pissing me off now tbh

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com

I wonder if they're going through refunds by date pledged. I know I pledged towards the tail end of the campaign (may have been the last day of it, though it was so long ago I can't remember). Not to give them any leeway here, but just trying to make sense of why I haven't received mine yet either.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

I wonder if they're going through refunds by date pledged. I know I pledged towards the tail end of the campaign (may have been the last day of it, though it was so long ago I can't remember). Not to give them any leeway here, but just trying to make sense of why I haven't received mine yet either.
That's definitely not it, since I backed on the very first day of the campaign.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

from the kickstarter update post:

NO EGS EXCLUSIVE

Finally, we have noticed that since our last Kickstarter, things have changed quite a bit. Due to broken promises from indie devs all the way to AAA publishers, it is probably no exaggeration to say that trust in developers is at an all-time low, especially in regards to Epic Games Store exclusives of titles that were originally (co)funded on Kickstarter.

Ironically, one of the main reasons why we are doing another Kickstarter is to double-down on our promise that EVERSPACE 2 will launch on Steam first, no matter what. Just in case there are still any doubts, you might want to read an official interview on Gamesindustry.biz why Steam is and will be our most important digital games storefront.

With this hopefully being out of the way, please head over to our new campaign and help us once again to make an even bigger and better space shooter and tell your friends all about it. We couldn’t be more excited about EVERSPACE 2 going open-world – let’s do this together!

See you in EVERSPACE 2 on Steam!

Michael and your dedicated ROCKFISH Games Team

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
I wonder how effective giving away free games has been. Have to think it has been effective if they still do it and have increased the number of games given out recently. But hell, I have 40 games on there and have spent 0 cents. And still have no intention to spend money on it. Other digital storefronts/services which I have been a member of or used for years, and which have given out free games, have not put out that volume of free stuff in the time that I have been a member.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I wonder how effective giving away free games has been. Have to think it has been effective if they still do it and have increased the number of games given out recently. But hell, I have 40 games on there and have spent 0 cents. And still have no intention to spend money on it. Other digital storefronts/services which I have been a member of or used for years, and which have given out free games, have not put out that volume of free stuff in the time that I have been a member.
People who made their account for the free games and then turned on users actively buying games there? Not millions, I believe. But even then the free games probably helped Epic A LOT convincing pubs that they have a public. It wouldn't be a surprise to discover that Sergey is using the number of people who got multiple games through giveaways as 'returning EGS users', 'active EGS clients' or anything like it.

Hell, Batman being free made the news everywhere and I doubt that Epic won't name 'number of people who got Batman free on EGS' to something like 'number of people who acquired multiple products to their EGS library during week x of 2019'

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
People who made their account for the free games and then turned on users actively buying games there? Not millions, I believe. But even then the free games probably helped Epic A LOT convincing pubs that they have a public. It wouldn't be a surprise to discover that Sergey is using the number of people who got multiple games through giveaways as 'returning EGS users', 'active EGS clients' or anything like it.

Hell, Batman being free made the news everywhere and I doubt that Epic won't name 'number of people who got Batman free on EGS' to something like 'number of people who acquired multiple products to their EGS library during week x of 2019'
it's all about massaging the numbers

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
it's all about massaging the numbers
Of course it is, but we're approaching crunch time now where exclusivity ends on some of the earliest games and developers can probably be more frank about their relationship with Epic and how it went.

I'm guessing that a number of developers who have already pre-emptively put up store pages for their EGS exclusives, despite them not launching on Steam until December, are happy for people to wait at this point since they are probably a million miles off meeting their sales advance and haven't seen a penny from Epic since the first moneyhat.

I expect some interesting postmortems at GDC.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
doubt it'll happen .... regardless of what Tim said - i'd be EXTREMELY surprised if any of that data isn't NDA'd to hell and back
And these pubs / devs don't want to burn any bridge now, especially the ones like the devs of MechWarrior 5 / Ooblets / Phoenix Point, since they already burnt one with a group of consumers. These guys will be knocking Epic's door right after these games release asking for another exclusivity deal.

For the games leaving EGS exclusivity this December, the most I expect their devs to say is something in the lines of 'Steam sales were good, complementing the already good revenue we had in the previous year'. No comparisons or anything, there's no need for these to be public, after all.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
And these pubs / devs don't want to burn any bridge now, especially the ones like the devs of MechWarrior 5 / Ooblets / Phoenix Point, since they already burnt one with a group of consumers. These guys will be knocking Epic's door right after these games release asking for another exclusivity deal.
also this, yes

For the games leaving EGS exclusivity this December, the most I expect their devs to say is something in the lines of 'Steam sales were good, complementing the already good revenue we had in the previous year'. No comparisons or anything, there's no need for these to be public, after all.
yeah, exactly ... that's the most i expect from any of them

but most will probably never mention or compare the sales

Reactions: MJunioR

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Just be prepared for the first articles about the struggling dev who believes Valve is shadowbanning them and thats why their sales on Steam are bad,
Or how abysmal their profit from Steam is and how much money they made on EGS instead (conveniently leaving out, that the money from Steam is the first money they saw for a year.)
Or how they have to close and why that is Steams fault and why they were right to take the exclusivity money in the first place.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
yeah, exactly ... that's the most i expect from any of them

but most will probably never mention or compare the sales
Unless the exclusivity agreement requires them to shit on Steam sales after the period ends.
We'll see if we get 'sales on Steam were disappointing when compared to EGS' articles/tweets...

Reactions: Kyougar

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
pretty sure that's not how NDAs work, lol :p
You could have fooled me with the exclusive announcement who nearly all had the same talking points and "attacks on Steam".

Full-on conspiracy mode: You can't write that in an NDA, but you can make a deal dependent on how you message your relationship with Epic and then you NDA talking about that deal.

Reactions: undu and Samson

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You could have fooled me with the exclusive announcement who nearly all had the same talking points and "attacks on Steam".
i would attribute that more to the work Sergey has been doing for YEARS now ... talking about indiepocalypse and how bad volvo really are at pretty much every indie meetup ... you don't have to look far to find all the devs who genuinely believe all of that

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I don’t think the shit flung at Steam in regards to “indiepocalypse” is fair, because Valve can only convince people to buy so many indie games.

But there is definitely an issue in regards to games not selling on all platforms. Epic is fashioning itself as the solution, but we all know they’ll only feed the rot rather than remove it.

Ironically, a big part of the real issue is games like Fortnite that are intentionally designed to suck up people’s time and money. They stop being fun long before people stop playing them, and a lot of that boils down to gambling-esque mechanics, the social factor and preying on people’s completionist tendencies in a game that never ends.

There are of course other issues: a race to the bottom in price is one, bundles is another. But primarily the attractiveness of those things is down to an abundance of games and a squeeze on the consumer’s spend from all angles.

It’s like the US 80s crash again, only instead of an abundance of crap expensive games, we have an abundance of inexpensive good ones.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I've already seen a few people on era say they'll buy RDR 2 on epic because their library is now pretty large from the free games.

Granted since this is from era they're likely lying just to rile people up but no doubt that is Epic's goal with the free games. They want people to be lured in then feel trapped from the "oh god I have too many games on here to abandon it" feeling.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I've already seen a few people on era say they'll buy RDR 2 on epic because their library is now pretty large from the free games.

Granted since this is from era they're likely lying just to rile people up but no doubt that is Epic's goal with the free games. They want people to be lured in then feel trapped from the "oh god I have too many games on here to abandon it" feeling.
Judging from the fact that the majority of posts supporting Epic come from people who don't play on PC, I'd say that they are most definitely lying. Trolling, to be more accurate.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
"It's better for the devs" then claims all the FREE games and trolls about actually buying a game on EGS, yeah that sounds about right. Especially if you add the ones who scream about devs getting more money then VPN like maniacs to get Regional Pricing from other regions. Or sign up to every publisher subscription service on a month-by-month basis so they don't even have to buy the games. I don't have a problem with people who do that but at least be honest about it.

So yeah, Free games may be a draw but i doubt any of the Holier-Than-Thou crowd have actually bought very much on EGS at all and it's going to be interesting to see how Subscriptions impact game sales and developer studios in the future too.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Judging from the fact that the majority of posts supporting Epic come from people who don't play on PC, I'd say that they are most definitely lying. Trolling, to be more accurate.
Yup. I'm under the same impression. Most of them couldn't give a shit about buying the game on PC, regardless of the store.
They just love to rock the boat.

They don't even like Epic nor the service it offers (unsurprisingly, I must add). They just enjoy witnessing it as a disruptive force in the PC market.
They want to watch the world burn, so to say.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Well, almost a year later I'm starting to feel that EGS is slowly, but surely, starting to enter the territory of irrelevance. Steam is in a good shape, subscription services are stealing their thunder and people more or less moved on from being hurt by publishers moves and accepted the reality that they'll have to wait for a game to appear on a platform of their choice. Add to that, still barebones state of the client, questionable decisions regarding sales and no visible strategy with the exception of exclusives and freebies which are not a guarantee of long-term customers. I still can't see what they can achieve on the market, if the goal is to kill Valve, then they're failing to achieve it.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Honestly, the only thing the Epic store has done for me in the past year, is making me completely unaware that some indie games are currently available on PC, and I'm usually quite informed on the subject.
This. I wasn't even aware that Untitled Goose Game was already released. And I'm reading or hearing nothing about games like Ancestors, Outer Wilds, WRC8 or Close to the Sun.

It still hurts when another of my favorite devs goes EGS exclusive (especially Techland) but my response is always the same: the games involved will be moved to my blacklist forever. I have plenty of other great games to play.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Well, almost a year later I'm starting to feel that EGS is slowly, but surely, starting to enter the territory of irrelevance. Steam is in a good shape, subscription services are stealing their thunder and people more or less moved on from being hurt by publishers moves and accepted the reality that they'll have to wait for a game to appear on a platform of their choice. Add to that, still barebones state of the client, questionable decisions regarding sales and no visible strategy with the exception of exclusives and freebies which are not a guarantee of long-term customers. I still can't see what they can achieve on the market, if the goal is to kill Valve, then they're failing to achieve it.
How is it irrelevant when they have "five millions" BL3 players and soon bazillion RDR2 players :face-savouring-delicious-food:

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I think he plans something big for November/December. if not, they have no plan and probably are dialing back or gave up.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I think he plans something big for November/December. if not, they have no plan and probably are dialing back or gave up.
I would think that 1 month co-exclusivity on RDR2 is as big as they can get, but who knows, Sweeney has more than enough disposable money in his pocket.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I would think that 1 month co-exclusivity on RDR2 is as big as they can get, but who knows, Sweeney has more than enough disposable money in his pocket.
I see the 1 month exclusive of RDR2 as them failing. Either they didn't have the cloud or assurances to get Take2 to allow more than 1 month or they didn't or couldn't afford to pay for more. The "didn't" could be a lack of faith in the success of their store. the "couldn't" could be pressure from Tencent on the waste of money.

The 1 month was a complete fuck-up in my mind. They look desperate, money-starved, or just attention-seeking. They should have either gone full-in or not do the deal.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I guess The Game Wards will be the milestone to judge the whole EGS drama since this is when it all started last year. So if they have something big it will probably be there. Until then, the 1 month for RDR2 sure does look pathetic, specially after the already shorter 6-months for Borderlands 3. And speaking of BL3, did we have any more gloating tweets or info after they highly misleading 2x concurrent users or 5 million sold-in PR?

Also, if we are talking of .... "good" .. things that EGS has done.... for me is teaching me to ignore the hype cycle for releases and become way more comfortable waiting for discounts. Probably not what they were looking for :p

so much for Paradox being the good guys ...
I'm actually surprised Paradox resisted for this long. By now all publishers want the Epic free money....

Still, kind of curious how they are gonna deal with all their DLCs. "Influencers" aren't going to help you there.