|OT| Genshin Impact - Breath of the Elements

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I loooove Dragonspine, but it's definitely a bit of a new player trap at this point :cold-sweat:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I had this sort of vague idea in my head that I could maybe catch up with the current content in time so that I could experience Fontaine along with everyone else. This was when Fontaine was still releasing 'at some point in the future'. Now I understand that it is apparently expected in 6 weeks. It seems difficult and probably inadvisable to try and get through 3 years worth of content in 6 weeks just to be able to catch up. And this notion totally died when I came up against the same issue that bothered me in Star Rail which is that there are minimum adventure rank requirements to continue the story. I finished Mondstadt at AR19 and the requirement for the next quest to go to Liyue was AR23. I'm still not a fan of this kind of gating but the shock was less than it was when it happened in Star Rail. Although, I can sort understand it here a bit more because the content is supposed to last for much longer and there's always stuff you can go and do in the open world to move things along. It still took several days because the most effective way to increase rank is still the daily commissions and I was hoping to play this game a bit more casually (meaning no daily commitments). So progress will be slow and catching up is probably out of the question.
The AR ranks will come pretty fast and I think AR35 (out of 60) is when they highest gating anything behind it at all.

One thing I wanted to highlight is there's "content" and there's the "story". The actual archon quests, assuming you meet the requirements, can be done relatively quickly and that catches you up on basically everything. The side areas (Dragonspine, Chasm, Enkonomiya) have some interesting lore / stories but are not part of the main plot exactly, and same for all of the side stories.

AR20-40 is probably like, the hardest difficulty points in the game at times, but coop can help and getting some stuff farmed up helps too.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
But note that you cannot complete quests in coop. BUT that specific challenge in Dragonspine is not technically part of the quest. So we could just join you if you want to post your ID here :blobnerd:
So I had some time today and decided to give that specific quest one last go. Swapped out Bennett for Barbara and had already dumped Tighnari for Kaeya. With the elemental combos I was just about able to complete the challenge and finished off the quest. Then I just spent some time randomly doing things in the mountain and also went and did the weekly bounties (which I didn't know would reset tomorrow). That took up all my time and I was not able to get around to starting off the event so that'll have to wait.

That said, my UID is 700620158 and it'd be great if anyone here wanted to add me up. Will probably need help at some point in the near future :grinning-face:

The AR ranks will come pretty fast and I think AR35 (out of 60) is when they highest gating anything behind it at all.

One thing I wanted to highlight is there's "content" and there's the "story". The actual archon quests, assuming you meet the requirements, can be done relatively quickly and that catches you up on basically everything. The side areas (Dragonspine, Chasm, Enkonomiya) have some interesting lore / stories but are not part of the main plot exactly, and same for all of the side stories.

AR20-40 is probably like, the hardest difficulty points in the game at times, but coop can help and getting some stuff farmed up helps too.
So is it worth it to stick with the main story just to catch up? I'm generally the kind of player who likes to do almost everything in RPGs (at least all side quests) and it actually feels weird to just play the main story without doing the other stuff. Of course the upside would be that I would be able to catch up with the narrative and I guess unlock all the areas quicker. And with this game it's not like you can finish up an area/region completely and then move on. Feels like going back to older regions to do stuff you missed or deliberately left is not the worst thing.

What would you guys advise here?

I also unlocked some quests at AR26 today. Hangout quests or something like that. How are we supposed to do those. I looked a long list of them and some were AR locked and others required keys which you get from dailies? Are you supposed to unlock parts of quests like that? It felt a bit weird that you'd unlock a feature and then not be able to do anything at all with it so I'm wondering if I missed something there.

Another vague question... I was watching some youtube video about the game and someone was playing with a character that I couldn't identify. She had this ability where she would dash short distances with full player control and she turned dark blue while dashing. Can anyone tell me who that was? She seemed to make a traversal puzzles easier.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
That said, my UID is 700620158 and it'd be great if anyone here wanted to add me up. Will probably need help at some point in the near future :grinning-face:
I added you :hugging-face:
Genshin is not cross region though, so your account can't play with everyone....

So is it worth it to stick with the main story just to catch up? I'm generally the kind of player who likes to do almost everything in RPGs (at least all side quests) and it actually feels weird to just play the main story without doing the other stuff. Of course the upside would be that I would be able to catch up with the narrative and I guess unlock all the areas quicker. And with this game it's not like you can finish up an area/region completely and then move on. Feels like going back to older regions to do stuff you missed or deliberately left is not the worst thing.

To me, as long as you don't struggle or get hit with a rank gate... It's up to you really. I don't 100% regions before going to the next in general, I like coming back to collect things.
It can be a bit annoying when I have tons of quests that conflict with one another sometimes.

I also unlocked some quests at AR26 today. Hangout quests or something like that. How are we supposed to do those. I looked a long list of them and some were AR locked and others required keys which you get from dailies? Are you supposed to unlock parts of quests like that? It felt a bit weird that you'd unlock a feature and then not be able to do anything at all with it so I'm wondering if I missed something there.
So... Hangouts are like more visual novel-style interactions with a character, with multiple story paths and endings.
But there's also character quests, more in line with what you already know (and most are plot relevant, but not all).
And yes you unlock them with "keys", you get one for two days of dailies completed. But can only stash three at a time. Another of those weird decisions, so you can end up having not enough early (after that, it's do 2 days of dailies every six weeks so it's whatever, reinforcing the strange and pointless design)... your choice if you want to unlock a hangout, or the upcoming character quests, Klee's one starts at rank 32.
No rush for any of that, but that's definitely one of those GaaSy ass elements...

Another vague question... I was watching some youtube video about the game and someone was playing with a character that I couldn't identify. She had this ability where she would dash short distances with full player control and she turned dark blue while dashing. Can anyone tell me who that was? She seemed to make a traversal puzzles easier.
Likely Yelan. She is the fastest character to move around, regenerates stamina when dashing like this, and she's also an incredible Hydro support. Rumors are she's coming back with 4.0.
Kirara also helps, she's not quite as fast, but she can also make super jumps with her skill that transforms her into an amazon box, and can run up walls while transformed.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018

The game was missing a lot of QoL stuff when I started playing (like patch 2 of Inazuma?) so I pretty much focused on the main progression quests so I could be "caught up" and do the events, plus that unlocked every area in the game if I wanted to do something specific. After that I went back and explored more / did more quests when I wanted to. With Quickstart as a thing now events aren't as gated behind your progress which is great, although some of the combat focused ones can still be hard (although they usually offer trial characters now).

I don't know the actual stats but the side quests + character quests + side regions + exploration is magnitudes more content than the core quests, so it really depends on if you want to explore "in order" or are more keen to catch up and then revisit areas (I liked revisiting and swapping around so I didn't get bored of anywhere, cough Inazuma cough, at this point the only non-100% area for me is the newest Sumeru spot).

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I added you :hugging-face:
Genshin is not cross region though, so your account can't play with everyone....
Yea I should have mentioned I'm playing both these mihoyo games on the EU server. In theory I should play them on the Asia server but I somehow get double the ping there compared to EU. Go figure. Thank you for adding me though. Would welcome anyone else who wanted to add me as well :)

So... Hangouts are like more visual novel-style interactions with a character, with multiple story paths and endings.
But there's also character quests, more in line with what you already know (and most are plot relevant, but not all).
And yes you unlock them with "keys", you get one for two days of dailies completed. But can only stash three at a time. Another of those weird decisions, so you can end up having not enough early (after that, it's do 2 days of dailies every six weeks so it's whatever, reinforcing the strange and pointless design)... your choice if you want to unlock a hangout, or the upcoming character quests, Klee's one starts at rank 32.
No rush for any of that, but that's definitely one of those GaaSy ass elements...
Yea I unlocked the first key today. I think I'll just save them for character quests first and do the hangout stuff later.

Likely Yelan. She is the fastest character to move around, regenerates stamina when dashing like this, and she's also an incredible Hydro support. Rumors are she's coming back with 4.0.
Kirara also helps, she's not quite as fast, but she can also make super jumps with her skill that transforms her into an amazon box, and can run up walls while transformed.
Yeah I had a look at videos and it was Yelan. The guy whose video I was watching was zooming around the mountain with her and seemed to make some of the traversal stuff easier. Plus I guess you can get farther without freezing, which is nice. I'll see about getting her if she does in fact appear in a banner soon.

To me, as long as you don't struggle or get hit with a rank gate... It's up to you really. I don't 100% regions before going to the next in general, I like coming back to collect things.
It can be a bit annoying when I have tons of quests that conflict with one another sometimes.
The game was missing a lot of QoL stuff when I started playing (like patch 2 of Inazuma?) so I pretty much focused on the main progression quests so I could be "caught up" and do the events, plus that unlocked every area in the game if I wanted to do something specific. After that I went back and explored more / did more quests when I wanted to. With Quickstart as a thing now events aren't as gated behind your progress which is great, although some of the combat focused ones can still be hard (although they usually offer trial characters now).

I don't know the actual stats but the side quests + character quests + side regions + exploration is magnitudes more content than the core quests, so it really depends on if you want to explore "in order" or are more keen to catch up and then revisit areas (I liked revisiting and swapping around so I didn't get bored of anywhere, cough Inazuma cough, at this point the only non-100% area for me is the newest Sumeru spot).
Wanted to address these two parts together. So yesterday when I started to play I thought I'll do the daily chores, wrap up some stuff on the mountain and then head to Liyue. Well, the wrapping up part just took so long because I kept running into new quests to do and all. When I was finally finished and started heading into Liyue, it finally dawned on me just how big this game world is. So far running around the Mondstadt region felt like it was a big but contained area. This new zone, and actually realizing how far the map extends further, drove home the point that there is simply no way I can play how I normally do and catch up before Fontaine. As you said Amzin, all the stuff you can do is exponentially more content than the story. So I've kind of given up on the idea for now. It would have been nice to experience it with everyone else but I really am way too far behind.

Anyway when I finally reached Liyue Harbor I was blown away by how beautiful it looks. Standing on the cliffs at night overlooking the bay and docks was just a magical moment. I realize I'm 3 years behind you guys and all my questions and observations are old news to you but man this was such a lovely moment in the game for me. What a beautiful city they've made. I tried to stick with the main quest while cleaning up some side stuff along the way and reached a part to the north of the city, a bar/hotel or something and stopped there. So much stuff to do and explore in the game. I really wish I was able to devote a lot more time to the game than I really can afford to.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It's cool to reach the same story point as everyone else and to share the discovery, but ultimately it doesn't matter that much.
Though it's fine to focus on the story since it unlocks character materials, that's the annoying part of Genshin... note you still have 36 days to finish the story and the event, so you probably won't be too far behind anyway, you're already more or less with 1.0 at this point...

I know I took my time exploring Li Yue before finishing the story (that wasn't complete till 1.1), it was great.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
So after that first day on Liyue, I had some time so I figured I should check out the event with the quickstart button. They give you a short four line biography of the new characters when you meet them which is good enough. It's not substantially different from unlocking unknown characters from a banner who you won't meet until two continents later for example.

I didn't really have any expectations and didn't really know what I was getting into. What I absolutely did not expect that it would take almost an entire week to get through the event. For the last few days I've been consistently amazed at just how much content they packed into this transient six week event. You start off in a fairly large area and it keeps getting bigger and bigger as you go through the quest. The final area is probably what 30-40% the size of Mondstadt? It's probably something like 20% of some other full games like Atelier for example. And they just gave it away for free and they'll delete it after a few weeks. It's crazy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole theme park experience. Quests, side quests, puzzles, mini games, secrets... beautiful art and music... everything was just really great. Very lucrative as well. Lots of gems but also, equally important for a new player like me, lots of upgrade materials and currency. New character and a snazzy new outfit for an existing one. Super generous of them. I got a majority of the chest/joy tickets in the zone and I don't think I'll go back to get the remaining ones and it still amounted to loads of extra wishes.

Seriously, it is mindblowing that they put so much effort into creating a whole new area just for 6 weeks. I think in terms of content it is maybe a third of the entirety of Star Rail? I cannot stop myself comparing this offering to other games. Very well done event and a total joy to play.

Very early on I managed to get enough materials to get Tighnari to 40 as well so that's nice too.

Aside from the event, I did the trials for the banner characters and really ended up liking how much damage Eula does. I think I got 3 damage related achievements just by doing that trial. And with her being apparently very rare I thought I'll try to get her on her banner. Used 70 wishes and didn't get her and then something just kind of stopped me from pulling further. I expect I'll get some 5-star in the next 10 wishes but now I'm seriously thinking maybe I should just wait for someone else. If you get lucky with the 50-50 you're within 5-10 wishes of getting a possibly more powerful character (like Line said, archons might repeat or even Yelan). So yeah, spending 70 wishes and then changing your mind is possibly the dumbest thing you think of. Not sure what to do here.

Another dumb thing I'm doing which will probably bite me in the ass later on. For some reason, I am not using the daily energy to do ley lines or domains. I have this thing in my head where it tells me that if I start doing that then I'm treating this game like an obligation or whatever and I don't want that. I still do the commissions whenever I play so that's still doing daily busywork but spending energy is somehow where my brain draws the line. And by doing this I am going fall behind on upgrade and ascension materials I'm sure. I'm weird and it's going to cause problems later. At which point in the story will I need to go beyond level 40? Is it tied to ascension rank where even Liyue will become higher level than me if I ascend but don't manage to level up my characters? Can I just not do the ascension quest and let the world remain at the level it is at?

Anyway, pulling on that banner expanded my roster a bit and, as mentioned, I don't know most of these characters because I've not met them. Are there any I should definitely level up instead of the regular party (which is currently Lisa, Barbara, Dehya, Tighnari with Traveler, Kaeya and Bennet swapping in at times).

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Done fully with the event, it was cute and colorful and I liked the minigames, but the story put a lot less light on characters unlike last year, so that's a bit of a bummer.
Weirdly enough, it was much, much shorter than the last summer event in the Archipelago - even though the exploration of the zone was kind of annoying (with many islands, and mechanisms to change the entire layout of them), it also had more side quests, and a far longer main quest with 4 character focused actual dungeons, Fischl's Castle and Mona's Astrolab would have been at home in Zelda Twilight Princess.

Dunno if you saw spindoctor but you get two gadgets to see all chests and challenges on the map, depending on how many Joyeux Vouchers you got, so completing it isn't hard at all. Maybe a bit too much? It makes the length even shorter the usual, even if practical, they probably should have kept away the early one that works as a short range radar... made a lot of the exploration a bit meaningless.

And if I'm not wrong, the Ascension rank 3 is automatic, and will bump bosses to around lvl50. Still very doable, but yeah, if you don't use resin, it can become a bit dicey...
After that, there is a quest for the Ascension 4, and that's when things get much harder, reaching lvl70 is a bit of difficulty spike (not so much getting the materials, but everything definitely ramps up at that point). You can wait to complete the quest though.

From your new characters, a lot are super specialized (Mika for Physical chars, Gorou for Geo ones, Dori for... err, memes I guess?), and Razor is a main Physical/Eletro DPS, he works if you need one but isn't really great... so for something more synergistic:
- Thoma works well for a burgeon team like the one you have... but you need a Hydro char like Barbara to make the Dendro cores, then.
He comes with weak shields and Pyro support... not the most practical for Tighnari though, and pushes you even more into a single team. It's an option however. Wouldn't be my first choice though...
  • You have Xiangling, a backbone of any team since day one. She's off-field Pyro DPS, both her skill and burst do not require large investments except massive energy regeneration, she's the best and most flexible Pyro character after Bennett (which is also her best team mate). Probably unneeded since you have Dehya, but you can use her any time, and for almost any team, so she's never a waste.
  • Layla is much less apt for your current team, but she's the most well rounded and strongest shielder after Zhongli. She's better for mono Cryo teams or freeze teams with Hydro, but by her nature as a shielder, she fits any levelling team.

Now for your choice of 5*, hard to say. Eula is rare indeed, but Physical DPS with her damage backloaded in her burst (and hoping it hits and things are still alive by this point!) make her really clunky. I still love her and played with her during the event, but... yeah.
Next week new banner, with Kokomi and Wanderer... Kokomi would always be my choice, she's been the staple forever since her release, but I'm not sure you'd want to dump Barbara for her, it wouldn't feel good. Wanderer is a cool and fun Anemo DPS, so that's not a dumb choice, and he's so good for exploration (and has great synergy with your current Pyro roster too).

4.0 comes with Lyney for sure (since he's been teased on twitter and is 5*), and probably with Yelan and then Zhongli. Honestly no idea what I'd do in your situation. :cold-sweat:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Dunno if you saw spindoctor but you get two gadgets to see all chests and challenges on the map, depending on how many Joyeux Vouchers you got, so completing it isn't hard at all. Maybe a bit too much? It makes the length even shorter the usual, even if practical, they probably should have kept away the early one that works as a short range radar... made a lot of the exploration a bit meaningless.
I got to 237 vouchers playing normally. Getting to 240 and then 270 will get me all the rewards. Not feeling compelled to go and find literally all of the chests and everything even if it means missing out on primogems and all. Maybe I'll go back to find them if the mood strikes.

And if I'm not wrong, the Ascension rank 3 is automatic, and will bump bosses to around lvl50. Still very doable, but yeah, if you don't use resin, it can become a bit dicey...
This happened to me today actually and it's not just bosses that leveled up. All enemies are now level 47 while my party is level 40. So suddenly the game decided it should get harder and enemies take 2-3 times longer to kill. As it happens I decided to wrap up the Mondstadt reputation quests (the ones I can do anyway) and one of them is in Dragonspine. So now you're freezing (what a lovely mechanic) while fighting enemies that are taking 3 times longer to kill. I checked and some of the ascension materials are from domains I've not discovered yet. For the characters I have to kill enemies that are in Sumeru. So hey, just skip Liyue and run all the way across the fucking map to go and find those enemies that you need to kill to be able to get back to a level where you can actually play the game. This is some real bullshit design. And I don't know, I'm late, so maybe they've paced it perfectly and if you played when the content released it would not be a problem. Or maybe your first pull from a banner should not give you a character you cannot level up until you've played the game for 100 hours? Who knows?

After that, there is a quest for the Ascension 4, and that's when things get much harder, reaching lvl70 is a bit of difficulty spike (not so much getting the materials, but everything definitely ramps up at that point). You can wait to complete the quest though.
Oh it's going to get harder. Lovely. I guess this means I really shouldn't do anything in the game except the main quest to keep getting to new areas to find level up materials. Huge mistake on my part to do the event just now which probably gave me a few adventure ranks.

Seriously annoyed with the game right now. First blemish on what was turning out to be a lovely experience for me.

Honestly no idea what I'd do in your situation. :cold-sweat:
Thanks for the tips on the characters. I think I'll just wait until some other banners show up with better characters. I think I might even take a break from this for a while.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
This happened to me today actually and it's not just bosses that leveled up. All enemies are now level 47 while my party is level 40. So suddenly the game decided it should get harder and enemies take 2-3 times longer to kill. As it happens I decided to wrap up the Mondstadt reputation quests (the ones I can do anyway) and one of them is in Dragonspine. So now you're freezing (what a lovely mechanic) while fighting enemies that are taking 3 times longer to kill. I checked and some of the ascension materials are from domains I've not discovered yet. For the characters I have to kill enemies that are in Sumeru. So hey, just skip Liyue and run all the way across the fucking map to go and find those enemies that you need to kill to be able to get back to a level where you can actually play the game. This is some real bullshit design. And I don't know, I'm late, so maybe they've paced it perfectly and if you played when the content released it would not be a problem. Or maybe your first pull from a banner should not give you a character you cannot level up until you've played the game for 100 hours? Who knows?
This is what made me quit Genshin originally. It's also why I pre-farm everything before increasing my Ascension Rank now.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
That's the real issue with having an open world design like this, getting characters that will require materials from much further in... and even then, it's Sumeru, so it's just a jog over there.
Not "complete the entire Inazuma storyline, and Enkanomiya to get access to the boss" like some of them!
I expect that to be 10 times worse in HSR sooner than later, considering how the progression works... those level up mechanics conflict a lot with longer form RPGs rather than the usual gacha.

Oh it's going to get harder. Lovely. I guess this means I really shouldn't do anything in the game except the main quest to keep getting to new areas to find level up materials. Huge mistake on my part to do the event just now which probably gave me a few adventure ranks.

Seriously annoyed with the game right now. First blemish on what was turning out to be a lovely experience for me.

Thanks for the tips on the characters. I think I'll just wait until some other banners show up with better characters. I think I might even take a break from this for a while.
For difficulty, I'm like 87% sure that's it's because you lack key progression in some areas, especially since Genshin doesn't scale at all in the same way that HSR does.
In Genshin, in order of importance it's weapon level (and those should not be affected by your story progress early since you're unlikely to use crafted weapons from further than Mondstadt), artifacts (you don't need great pieces, but you really, REALLY want to push them to 16, even a basic bunch of random +ATK will do, though all characters have different needs), talents (now those are a problem for Sumeru characters since you'll need to go there) and then level up.

Levelling up is almost irrelevant (well, except for Anemo, but that's for another time), and if you really start struggling, it's very likely a combination of the first two factors. I've seen people reach AR50 without even a single artifact lvl16, somehow, and with lvl1 weapons :cold-sweat:
The easiest option would be to focus on Bennett, Lisa, Barbara and maybe Kaeya (plus Xiangling, if you want) I suppose? They a decent job and don't require anything special.

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
This is what made me quit Genshin originally. It's also why I pre-farm everything before increasing my Ascension Rank now.
And this case it wasn't even something I did. Just reached 30 and the world got harder around me. I don't understand why every other ascension is automatic. Star Rail makes you choose every single equilibrium increase and you can happily choose to stay at a lower level if you're not bothered about getting more/higher tier materials that you don't immediately need anyway.

For difficulty, I'm like 87% sure that's it's because you lack key progression in some areas, especially since Genshin doesn't scale at all in the same way that HSR does.
In Genshin, in order of importance it's weapon level (and those should not be affected by your story progress early since you're unlikely to use crafted weapons from further than Mondstadt), artifacts (you don't need great pieces, but you really, REALLY want to push them to 16, even a basic bunch of random +ATK will do, though all characters have different needs), talents (now those are a problem for Sumeru characters since you'll need to go there) and then level up.
My weapons so far are leveled up to the same level as characters. I can't go further because I haven't found the correct domains yet and also you need to play on specific days lol. As for artifacts, so far I've been using blues and the handful of purples the game gives you. Using stats that make sense to me and getting set bonuses. I don't even understand why green and white artifacts exist in the game. That's another thing Star Rail does better. Starts with blue and showers you with purples while you play so you don't actually have to farm them like it seems I'll have to do in this game. I'll go and look at builds for the characters and see if there's any modifications I can do to make things easier. Not been able to level any talents because they require phase 2 ascension (level 40+ I believe) and I've not been able to do that for anyone except the Traveler because free mats.

Levelling up is almost irrelevant (well, except for Anemo, but that's for another time), and if you really start struggling, it's very likely a combination of the first two factors. I've seen people reach AR50 without even a single artifact lvl16, somehow, and with lvl1 weapons :cold-sweat:
The easiest option would be to focus on Bennett, Lisa, Barbara and maybe Kaeya (plus Xiangling, if you want) I suppose? They a decent job and don't require anything special.
People say that skillful gameplay can solve a lot of issues with difficulty but I'd really like to see them take on a miniboss with this disadvantage on the mountain when there's a timer before you freeze. What skill allows you to defy the onward march of time?

And yeah, I suppose I could focus just on Mondstadt characters but I like my 5-stars. I know Dehya has a bad reputation but she is my strongest and tankiest character and Tighnari does loads of damage. Not to mention their interaction is the best. It took this summer event that occurred fortuitously to get Tighnari up from level 20 to 40 where I could play him again and all of 2 days later ascension becomes a problem again. It's so annoying. I really do think I'll take a break for a while.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
My weapons so far are leveled up to the same level as characters. I can't go further because I haven't found the correct domains yet and also you need to play on specific days lol. As for artifacts, so far I've been using blues and the handful of purples the game gives you. Using stats that make sense to me and getting set bonuses. I don't even understand why green and white artifacts exist in the game. That's another thing Star Rail does better. Starts with blue and showers you with purples while you play so you don't actually have to farm them like it seems I'll have to do in this game. I'll go and look at builds for the characters and see if there's any modifications I can do to make things easier. Not been able to level any talents because they require phase 2 ascension (level 40+ I believe) and I've not been able to do that for anyone except the Traveler because free mats.
I assume your weapons are all the original ones, possibly the few that are given with AR ranks too, and all of those use 1.0 materials that you should have access to?
There's nothing really hidden here, you won't get crafted weapons from Inazuma or Sumeru that require local materials (which is sensible, unlike the character gacha) until you reach there.

Artifact wise, it's better to wait later for guaranteed 5* (it works the same as HSR), but as to the why you get 1* and 2*, it's pretty much fodder XP to... well, level up the decent ones you have.
It is a different model than HSR, because it does mean you can level them up much, MUCH easier than HSR and its paltry amount of "guaranteed" obtainable relics, there's a real issue in that game that you just run out of relic XP (and then have to spend stamina to grind more). But as a negative, you get a lot of inventory clutter to clean up.
But having lvl16 artifacts with at least working stats is veeeery important, not unlike having, I dunno, Crit and ATK on Seele. Else you won't do much damage. I'm curious if you have maxed out artifacts? Even lvl12 ones do the job adequately when we talk less than 10 lvls difference, it's really not a lot.
ATK in general works fine early, few characters can benefit from Crit without more investment, and DEF or HP are hit or miss. Though Dehya is one such character, especially with the constellation you have, she scales with HP.

People say that skillful gameplay can solve a lot of issues with difficulty but I'd really like to see them take on a miniboss with this disadvantage on the mountain when there's a timer before you freeze. What skill allows you to defy the onward march of time?
Note that freezing is never a certainty in Dragonspine. You need to get close to a heat source to lower your cold bar, or gather some scarlet quartz for a little bit of heat. There's also a food that greatly increases your cold resistance, as well as an unlockable warmth bottle that straight up empties the cold bar in emergencies.
It's a frustrating area without Pyro, but with it on demand, the cold is not really an issue.

And yeah, I suppose I could focus just on Mondstadt characters but I like my 5-stars. I know Dehya has a bad reputation but she is my strongest and tankiest character and Tighnari does loads of damage. Not to mention their interaction is the best. It took this summer event that occurred fortuitously to get Tighnari up from level 20 to 40 where I could play him again and all of 2 days later ascension becomes a problem again. It's so annoying. I really do think I'll take a break for a while.
The thing is that Bennett has a very similar role to Dehya in your team, except he also comes with a massive heal and attack buff. He's also one of the rare characters that scale with flat ATK, so he's even less dependent than usual to gear, but he needs a weapon of decent level since that's the majority of his damage/buff.
And I mean, most of your team mates and all your weapons are just... baseline things that everyone starts with, so there's nothing particularly difficult to level up.
Just to compare HSR, you don't even have to push everything all the time with each ascension in Genshin, since supports are seldom on the field.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
And this case it wasn't even something I did. Just reached 30 and the world got harder around me. I don't understand why every other ascension is automatic. Star Rail makes you choose every single equilibrium increase and you can happily choose to stay at a lower level if you're not bothered about getting more/higher tier materials that you don't immediately need anyway.

break for a while.
The Genshin team does seem allergic to focusing on QoL issues that have been solved in their other games (including older ones) - I think they are just very heavily content-centered.

I agree with Line about where power comes from - sort of. Endgame artifacts can trump weapons in most situations but for most of the game prioritizing weapons and artifacts equally is fine. I'm not sure what weapons you'd have that you couldn't farm for since to this day I keep hitting up the Mondstadt/Liyue domains for materials, freaking everything uses those somehow. I'm not sure I've ever farmed for Inazuma weapon materials, I think I passively got enough for the 1 crafted weapon I use via events and battlepass.

I just helped my brother get back into Genshin a few months ago and he hit the same roadblock - like I said earlier, that midgame of ranks 3-4 are arguably the hardest parts of the game. There isn't even a ton for a coop person to help with outside of clearing domains which is at least comically easy for a leveled up account.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Okay just to clarify some things without specifically quoting parts of posts;

I've not crafted any weapons yet. Nor have I farmed artifacts. Everything I'm using has dropped in the game.

Currently, Lisa, Barbara, Dehya and Tighnari are my main team. All of these characters have level 40 weapons. I only have but a handful of purple/4-star weapons so Barbara is using a blue/3-star book. The other 3 characters have purple/4-star weapons. Dehya has the Favonius Greatsword refined 3 times because I got duplicates from banners. I somehow managed to scrape together resources to level these 4 weapons to 40.

These 4 party members are all character level 40. All their artifacts are minimum level 9 with some being level 10-12 because of the lucky hit double xp leveling that happens. I have very few purple artifacts so they are mostly using blues which cap out at level 12 anyway. I have run out of all extra artifacts to use as enhancement fodder and only have about 10-12 artifact XP items which won't really move the needle anymore. In short, I am mostly maxed out in terms of where my artifacts can be with what I've gotten from the game so far.

In addition to the main team, I am keeping the Traveler leveled up because I'm guessing she'll be forced in the story at some points (and also for having at least one anemo character). The Traveler is level 50 with level 9+ artifacts and a level 20 purple sword. I have not been able to get the ascension materials to get the weapon higher than that.

Then I have Kaeya and Bennett at level 40 with level 20 weapons and unleveled artifacts (because I could not spare the resources to level them up right now). Kaeya is basically just for when I need cryo for a puzzle or something. I chose to use Barbara over Bennett because she brings hydro and her heal seemed more useful for me. I cannot reliably trigger Bennett's buff often enough to make him feel more comfortable than Barbara is right now. I also added a purple weapon and unleveled artifacts to Xiangling given as how she's supposed to be really great but again, I cannot level her up to be useful to me right now.

The issue with ascending weapons is that the materials only drop from domains and I haven't actually found them yet. There's only one domain in Mondstadt that gives a specific weapon material per day. The adventure guide shows three other domains that give weapon ascension materials but they are all in blacked out/fog of war areas for me. I should repeat here that I've only been to Liyue once. I can see one of them is in Liyue and the rest are elsewhere. I have not visited any of them.

I did go and do the daily commissions today in Mondstadt and yeah, the enemy levels are up but only 41-43 instead of 47+. It took a bit longer than normal to get them done. Also noticed that I can get Dehya's weapon ascension material from the domain today and Tighnari's on Friday so I'll get those at least. I have a question... is it worthwhile to refine blue weapons to level 5 to keep them in case they are useful (like we do with 3-star weapons in HSR)? Should I look into weapon crafting to find purple weapons for the party members (Barbara) who are still using blue weapons?

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
You're lacking materials for weapons like prototype rancour (excellent for Bennett by the way, also you won't really need the Traveler at any point, content will scale for them... but then, they are decent enough later), which everyone gets for free, materials from 1.0.
In the same way you lack artifact fodder... but both of those have a simple solution which is: play the game and explore Li Yue? You're not in a different situation from anyone else, be it three years ago or today, which is why I'm a bit confused? :cold-sweat:
You can (since your story is there) just do Li Yue content... there's even a certain side quest that will reward you a 5* artifact. Takes a looooong while though.

As for 3* weapons, yes some are very good, I keep refined versions of all of them. The most obvious one is Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers, it's THE dedicated catalyst for supports like Barbara.
And for weapons, usually you'll use crafted ones before getting lucky (or unlucky I guess) in the banners. That all depends on what you have already, and what you want to focus on, I guess you could either check a guide or just ask here depending on the weapons billets you have (I think they give you a free greatsword one during the early progression), then they are spread around in "souvenir shops" like Marjorie in Mondstadt, or as very rare weekly boss rewards. Weekly boss fights can also drop 5* artifacts starting from AR30, and they drop much needed boss materials for later...

I'll say that Tighnari has an excellent option in the 3* Slingshot too. Bloodtainted Greatsword is also good on Dehya, but you'll lose the energy recharge of the Favonius Greatsword (which is... pretty eh but better than nothing for her).
For Lisa... well she's arguably the most complex character in the game, and there's an entire book to read to learn of all her intricacies on keqingmains.com... so huh, depends I guess.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
You're lacking materials for weapons like prototype rancour (excellent for Bennett by the way, also you won't really need the Traveler at any point, content will scale for them... but then, they are decent enough later), which everyone gets for free, materials from 1.0.
In addition to a few weapon billets that I got from regular progression, I actually have this box of stuff that will let me craft any of the weapons in Mondstadt as far as I can tell.

Should I actually go ahead and make something?

In the same way you lack artifact fodder... but both of those have a simple solution which is: play the game and explore Li Yue? You're not in a different situation from anyone else, be it three years ago or today, which is why I'm a bit confused? :cold-sweat:
You can (since your story is there) just do Li Yue content... there's even a certain side quest that will reward you a 5* artifact. Takes a looooong while though.
I mean yeah obviously playing the game more will eventually sort things out. The issue here is that somehow the game has gotten ahead of me. Maybe I broke the natural progression by doing some parts of Dragonspine and the summer event. If I hadn't gotten a bunch of adventure ranks from doing those things maybe it would be different. Maybe I'd reach AR30/World tier 3 right when I finish Liyue. Instead I'm now going to have to deal with a more difficult version of Liyue because my account progressed faster than the game is set up for.

As for 3* weapons, yes some are very good, I keep refined versions of all of them. The most obvious one is Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers, it's THE dedicated catalyst for supports like Barbara.
Nice, that's the one I'm using at rank 5 for Barbara.

And for weapons, usually you'll use crafted ones before getting lucky (or unlucky I guess) in the banners. That all depends on what you have already, and what you want to focus on, I guess you could either check a guide or just ask here depending on the weapons billets you have (I think they give you a free greatsword one during the early progression), then they are spread around in "souvenir shops" like Marjorie in Mondstadt, or as very rare weekly boss rewards. Weekly boss fights can also drop 5* artifacts starting from AR30, and they drop much needed boss materials for later...

I'll say that Tighnari has an excellent option in the 3* Slingshot too. Bloodtainted Greatsword is also good on Dehya, but you'll lose the energy recharge of the Favonius Greatsword (which is... pretty eh but better than nothing for her).
For Lisa... well she's arguably the most complex character in the game, and there's an entire book to read to learn of all her intricacies on keqingmains.com... so huh, depends I guess.
I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the weapons I'm using. So far it has just been 'use the purple weapon if you have one' or otherwise just pick the best sounding blue one.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
In addition to a few weapon billets that I got from regular progression, I actually have this box of stuff that will let me craft any of the weapons in Mondstadt as far as I can tell.

Should I actually go ahead and make something?
In a rare moment of QOL, now you can convert weapon billets to any of the other ones, so you can keep them for later.
But yes some are very good, but not necessarily very fitting for your team...
  • There's Prototype Archaic for more DPS focused greatsword characters (not very good at all for Dehya, but it is for Razor).
  • Mappa Mare for reaction focused catalyst DPS, that's actually a good option for Lisa if you don't have The Widsith from wishes.
  • You can also make Iron Sting, it's a good option for the Traveler (and later more characters can use it).
  • You can make Whiteblind for Noelle if you use her a lot. Now that is her very dedicated weapon with the +DEF, she is not going to use anything else for a long time, if ever.

Some will be good later but it's for more specialized character builds (and it's Inazuma onward for the most part). But consider that levelling up another weapon will slow everything else down again.

I mean yeah obviously playing the game more will eventually sort things out. The issue here is that somehow the game has gotten ahead of me. Maybe I broke the natural progression by doing some parts of Dragonspine and the summer event. If I hadn't gotten a bunch of adventure ranks from doing those things maybe it would be different. Maybe I'd reach AR30/World tier 3 right when I finish Liyue. Instead I'm now going to have to deal with a more difficult version of Liyue because my account progressed faster than the game is set up for.
See we talked about that in here a while ago, and I do think that's it's Dragonspine that is the issue, you're not the first player to be stuck between a rock and a hard place there, the difficulty is way higher, and the AR XP you get from it probably shifts the rest of "normal" progression that should be in Li Yue... the event I don't think brings much AR XP in general.
But that's also the perverse effect of dailies getting your AR up - ironically, that's new - because at release, we needed a lot higher ranks to get access to a lot of things (like unlocking coop or getting a free Barbara), so now that a lot is obtained earlier, it also makes gaining AR ranks faster...
Back then, you'd be hard pressed to reach AR 30 before having done a large chunk of Li Yue, I think you'd reach around AR35 or so with 100% of the content done.

I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the weapons I'm using. So far it has just been 'use the purple weapon if you have one' or otherwise just pick the best sounding blue one.
That's where Genshin gets into the theorycrafting stuff quickly. Purple weapons have higher base damage (and sub stats) and blue ones, and gold ones are yet higher than purple ones, but the effects and the way they work is very, very character based and sometimes unique for all of them, they all have needs and ways to play that will affect what you use on them. Way more than the general stat ticks of HSR of non-dedicated light cones.

But generally, you want at least some decent sub stat on a weapon for your character. But for some supports it doesn't matter, and for some others, only the ability text matters and it gets confusing quickly... I think I covered options for all your main characters (Dehya will always be a problem for early game with the way she works, so keep the weapon you have for now)?
If you find that someone is pretty weak, it might be worth looking into why. Like Bennett, which weirdly doesn't care so much about weapons outside of base attack damage (and having tons of energy recharge).

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I just wanted to thank you again for how informative your posts are when teaching me all this stuff. And for how patient you've all been as I encounter these somewhat frustrating and bizarre design choices. I'll work my way through Liyue slowly and level up my artifacts and weapons as I can. And if it becomes a problem then I'll look into doing what I need to to ascend the characters as well. When I reach the AR35 test I'm definitely going to pre farm everything before increasing the world tier.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
This is always nice to help, plus that's not even the first time I see those problems, so it's not surprising :blobnerd:
Don't forget that if you need help to kill bosses or complete domains, EU players can help. You can always send me a message ingame or here.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I think I am definitely slipping away from Genshin. I've only been logging in to do events/daily stuff the last few weeks, despite only just being past the Festival in the Sumeru story(which I was mostly enjoying, despite Paimon). Now I find myself not even doing my commissions. I think it was farming the dendro cube for the millionth time to ascend both Al and Yao Yao that finally broke me.

Anyway, with BG3 and Starfield just around the corner, I won't have the time/interest for Genshin at all, I imagine. At least HSR can auto-play its chores in the background while I eat my breakfast and browse forums!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I think I am definitely slipping away from Genshin. I've only been logging in to do events/daily stuff the last few weeks, despite only just being past the Festival in the Sumeru story(which I was mostly enjoying, despite Paimon). Now I find myself not even doing my commissions. I think it was farming the dendro cube for the millionth time to ascend both Al and Yao Yao that finally broke me.

Anyway, with BG3 and Starfield just around the corner, I won't have the time/interest for Genshin at all, I imagine. At least HSR can auto-play its chores in the background while I eat my breakfast and browse forums!
Ain't nothing wrong with pausing a game.
Ironically, that's why I dropped HSR, I was just waiting 20mins for the game to autobattle its way through the last SU elite and boss every time, and clicking twice to farm X mat every day... so I wondered why I was even "playing" :cold-sweat:

Right now I'm playing Snowbreak on the side, we'll see how long it lasts.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
So am I :dmcblob:

I only picked up 3 new characters in Sumeru, huh. (Nilou, Nahida and Dehya ) and 2 reruns (Kokomi and Kazuha).
Fontaine is looking more busy :grimacing-face:

• Evil
Reactions: Line

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Hm, yeah, ultimately, I didn't get many characters either. I liked their stories for the most part, but I was never tempted to roll on most chars there... I don't like how specific so many of them ended up being. I think that's the main thing explaining the lesser excitation, since they barely had two new limited 5* in 2023...

For me it's not starting well for Fontaine with Lyney either. Don't care one bit looking at those leaks.
I sure hope 4.1 will be more exciting, because not rolling till Furina is yet again a looong time...

I'm finally completing all the leftover quests and the exploration I haven't done. Really regrettable that the entire Oasis content isn't voice acted, it's really cool otherwise.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hm, yeah, ultimately, I didn't get many characters either. I liked their stories for the most part, but I was never tempted to roll on most chars there... I don't like how specific so many of them ended up being. I think that's the main thing explaining the lesser excitation, since they barely had two new limited 5* in 2023...

For me it's not starting well for Fontaine with Lyney either. Don't care one bit looking at those leaks.
I sure hope 4.1 will be more exciting, because not rolling till Furina is yet again a looong time...

I'm finally completing all the leftover quests and the exploration I haven't done. Really regrettable that the entire Oasis content isn't voice acted, it's really cool otherwise.
Well, we all get a free Lynette supposedly, so there will be a new character to build and play around with at least.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I got a few. Nilou, Nahida, got Tighnari from losing 50/50 going for Yae, and then Wanderer and Alhaitham. I wouldn't mind having Cyno but certainly don't need him.

Haven't been paying as much attention to leaks lately but I think it's gonna be a waiting until archon for me more than likely.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
It's Fontaine stream week! Should be either Friday or Saturda, very excited (can't believe it's been another year already).

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I only have the latest desert / oasis area left not at 100% and I really wanted to get it before Fontaine but have not had the time to do much besides my commissions and some random resin stuff really. I have some quests outstanding as well but I don't think any are like the 5 day golden slumber thing.

I'm still pensive about some of the leaked Fontaine stuff but it just seems so unlikely they'd add much of an obstacle to the team building we've done for years and characters everyone has had forever.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I'm still pensive about some of the leaked Fontaine stuff but it just seems so unlikely they'd add much of an obstacle to the team building we've done for years and characters everyone has had forever.
Eh, it's probably just gonna be like the introduction of Dendro was, except it's nation mechanics instead of element mechanics.
Like the desert robos that want Dendro + Electro to push them out of their invisibility state, but can still be brute-forced if you don't bother.
It's not going to be a barrier in overworld-content (and we get 2 free characters for the new mechanic as well), but the 4.x abyss cycle will definitely push it like the 3.x cycle was pushing Dendro.

I think it will be fine, and just another teambuilding factor to play around with. Also, looking at the Fontaine characters, I will have a bunch of them either way :cold-sweat:

If this banner schedule ends up being true:
I will be pulling every patch from 4.2 to 4.6 :grimacing-face:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
100%ed the entire desert now (I think, need to run around a bit in the oasis still).
Now to finish some bits and bobs around, I haven't done the 1 time domains yet. And I have like 10 hangouts waiting, I don't like those :cold-sweat:

Waiting for the direct this Friday, we still don't know much at all, even with leaks, that's weird.
Dunno what I'll roll for (beside Furina because duh), gonna wait to see some more... Neuvillette looks cool, I hope he has a nice toolkit.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I want like... all of those characters. The designs are so good. Realistically, I'll be lucky if I can even pull 1!

I really love Lyney's design and animations, but I don't know if his kit will work for me. Charged bow attacks are the bane of my existence and I think I read that he's designed for mono-pyro which I can't run with the state of my current characters.

Neuvillette and Wriothesley both look amazing, but I don't know anything about them. Clorinde also looks really good... as does Navia, but I don't really have any interest in Geo. Furina is my only must pull, so I guess I'll save for her.

Of course, I'm not really playing Genshin at the moment, and I don't see myself getting back to it in any meaningful way until after BG3 and Starfield! So like... 2024? I do plan on popping in to do any easy events though, and I may keep Welkin going so I'll have primos to pull when Furina goes up.

I wish I had at least finished the Sumeru main quest before my break though.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Well, if you got Welkin, you still have to log in, so they'll get you with the events :cold-sweat:
At least I like that it's quick and not difficult, the last event wasn't bad, interesting take to force people to use 12 different chars instead of only the best team.

Also I made a tram with Tighnari, and I really like it. Quickswap teams with a bow characters are not bad, unlike spamming charge attacks like Ganyu and Lyney...

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018

Fontaine looks amazing, holy :O
There have shown sooooo many cool shots, and I'm sure there will be lots more. The little tease at the end of 3.8 wasn't even scratching the surface.
The story setup sounds incredibly interesting as well, hopefully it will be as good or better as Sumeru (also confirmation that it will last until 4.2 again, nice).
Super stoked for underwater exploration as well. They said they're aiming for 50/50 split overall between regular and underwater exploration, daaaaamn.
Free Lynette, hell yeah.
And my god, the music at the end. They can't keep getting away with this! Whew :sweaty-blob:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I still have a few misc quests and things to do in Sumeru (chess pieces and at least one obelisk remain unfinished), but have all maps at 100%, statue upgraded, tree of dreams maxed out, and now the pool thingy too complete. Most of the place were fun to explore, obviously some issues with underground maps not existing.

I think Desert of Hadramaveth was my least favorite area in Sumeru which surprised me as initially I thought it looked cool, but there are a million places where you see something way above or below (or there's something underground from an entrance half the zone away) and no easy way to get up higher.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Fontaine looks cool, and I sure hope the global illumination will be on PC... but who am I kidding, it's Hoyo. :face-with-rolling-eyes:
I need to buy monthly fates but I'm completely out of token thingies :fearful-face: Maybe I'll roll some on Wanderer...

I agree with Hadramaveth being a very weak area, definitely the worst of the three desert ones. The original was large and had tons of underground stuff on top of the Mausoleum which was great, the Oasis has tons of new mechanics and a good amount of variety, while the desert storm was just... nothing mechanically and was just a throw away line for story...
Plus it was annoying to have a large chunk of the map unavailable, and Liloupar was an awful "companion"... at least we had Jeht but I would have liked to be with her the entire time instead.

I hope they'll avoid making three expansions in a row being so similar in the future. Having north Sumeru or Mondstadt/Li Yue terrain to establish a port city to Fontaine would have made far more sense.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Yea I'm guessing they'll fill in the spaces between Fontaine and the original nations for the expansions, which should be nicer (based on the assumption they don't connect in 4.0 because of the waypoint they're giving everyone to go there)

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Back here after a few weeks. I've not been playing the game a whole lot for a few different reasons. The most obvious one is that other stuff came out that distracted me. It's crazy how many good games are all coming out right about now. Another reason is that somehow the realization that I would not be able to catch up with everyone else before Fontaine really deflated my drive to keep playing. Which I know is very silly because what's the point in being disappointed at something that was always an impossibility?

That said, I have still been playing frequently. It's just that I log in and it seems more important to do the daily chores to get the primogems than it does to actually continue the story. Can't describe how weird it feels that progression is not just playing more and instead getting gems is 'the real thing'. You'd think after playing these games for a few months I'd be better conditioned towards how to approach them.

If you remember I did the trial for Eula when she was available in the last banner and liked her enough to try and get her. Except I got to 70 pulls without getting her and then suddenly stopped right for whatever reason (even I still don't understand what I was thinking). I recently did the trial for Kokomi and really liked her and thought about trying to get her. Then I did the trial for Wanderer and guess what, really liked him too. So I guess these trials are doing their job of making you want the characters. For me they're not just about the specific characters but having a fully well built team also let's me see the full potential of Genshin combat which I can't at my current low levels. And it's really fun isn't it? Anyway I haven't pulled for either of these 2 current characters because I know Yelan is coming in 4.0 and I had said I might want to get her when she returns. Apparently she is a really popular character although I've not been able to figure out what she does that is so much better than everyone else. Guess I'll find out in her trial. I have 100 wishes saved up so at least one character of choice is guaranteed even if I lose the 50-50.

I reached level 36 of the battlepass and it doesn't seem like I'll get much further. Would you guys buy the battlepass at that level? From experience in Star Rail I know how useful the premium battlepass materials can be when starting out but not completing it feels bad right?

So when I'm busy not playing the real game I've been wandering around Liyue and every time I reach a new area I'm always reminded of just how good the artists of this company are. And also how silly it is that I'm not playing the game more. I didn't do much of anything in Liyue past where I was last time but I did follow a video and collecting all the geoculus thingies upfront. Not sure why but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'll see if I can get back to the actual game and get the train moving out of the station.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Back here after a few weeks. I've not been playing the game a whole lot for a few different reasons. The most obvious one is that other stuff came out that distracted me. It's crazy how many good games are all coming out right about now. Another reason is that somehow the realization that I would not be able to catch up with everyone else before Fontaine really deflated my drive to keep playing. Which I know is very silly because what's the point in being disappointed at something that was always an impossibility?

That said, I have still been playing frequently. It's just that I log in and it seems more important to do the daily chores to get the primogems than it does to actually continue the story. Can't describe how weird it feels that progression is not just playing more and instead getting gems is 'the real thing'. You'd think after playing these games for a few months I'd be better conditioned towards how to approach them.
Ultimately, it's all about what you expect from the game. You can catch up to the story in a few weeks, but at the cost of exploring and doing all the side content, and then you're left with doing just that.
That can work for some, but that's something to be prepared for because obviously if you prefer the story content over anything else, you'd then be stuck with little to do.
Taking your time to do a bit of everything is more in line with what the game expects of you, but it's not like you need to do it either. It can be played for the collecting aspect too, which is its own brand of demanding.

If you remember I did the trial for Eula when she was available in the last banner and liked her enough to try and get her. Except I got to 70 pulls without getting her and then suddenly stopped right for whatever reason (even I still don't understand what I was thinking). I recently did the trial for Kokomi and really liked her and thought about trying to get her. Then I did the trial for Wanderer and guess what, really liked him too. So I guess these trials are doing their job of making you want the characters. For me they're not just about the specific characters but having a fully well built team also let's me see the full potential of Genshin combat which I can't at my current low levels. And it's really fun isn't it? Anyway I haven't pulled for either of these 2 current characters because I know Yelan is coming in 4.0 and I had said I might want to get her when she returns. Apparently she is a really popular character although I've not been able to figure out what she does that is so much better than everyone else. Guess I'll find out in her trial. I have 100 wishes saved up so at least one character of choice is guaranteed even if I lose the 50-50.
Well... the thing is, if you want "well built team", it's a lot harder to do in your situation. Say you get Kokomi, you fill the healer and Hydro support part. But you're still left with big holes in your team. And really, same with Yelan, sure she's strong, but if you don't have a main, fast attacking DPS, and the energy recharge for her... you get another underwhelming Hydro support. Runs fast, tho.
Usually, a team is built around the main DPS first, and here that leaves Wanderer, which fills that job very well, on top of being fun and useful in the world.

But to go back to your earlier issues... all three of those characters will require materials from beyond Li Yue. All three need Inazuma mats, and that's locked until you complete Li Yue and do a bunch of plot points in Inazuma itself. :cold-sweat:

Next patch also comes with Zhongli. Now he has none of those problems, but his role in a team is "don't take damage" and that's it. Trivializes any content, but doesn't exactly do much.

I reached level 36 of the battlepass and it doesn't seem like I'll get much further. Would you guys buy the battlepass at that level? From experience in Star Rail I know how useful the premium battlepass materials can be when starting out but not completing it feels bad right?
It's a good amount of ressources, but unfinished, indeed... I don't think I'd do that.
Also next patch patch the BP is updated with new weapons (on top of the old ones), so I think it might be a good option then...? Genshin is less dependent on it than HSR, but it sure is useful early on.

So when I'm busy not playing the real game I've been wandering around Liyue and every time I reach a new area I'm always reminded of just how good the artists of this company are. And also how silly it is that I'm not playing the game more. I didn't do much of anything in Liyue past where I was last time but I did follow a video and collecting all the geoculus thingies upfront. Not sure why but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'll see if I can get back to the actual game and get the train moving out of the station.
The world exploration really is the strong point, and it only gets better. Which is also why I'm not sure rushing the story is ideal, but I like to push for some story beats sometimes. You'll reach Inazuma and Sumeru one day.
Also, Fontaine exploration will be just one teleport away after the Mondstadt story, seems like they've thought about that this time. Won't help you with Inazuma, but at least you'll be able to go pick up whatever and do events in Fontaine or something.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Taking your time to do a bit of everything is more in line with what the game expects of you, but it's not like you need to do it either.
I don't think I'll be rushing the story just to catch up. It's not how I play games in general and like you said, it's not how this one is intended to be played. I'll just do all the quests I find and explore to solve as many secrets and puzzle as I can. I finished Mondstadt with about 80% region completion which is what I expect here too. Dragonspine was at 51% completion because fuck that place lol.

Well... the thing is, if you want "well built team", it's a lot harder to do in your situation. Say you get Kokomi, you fill the healer and Hydro support part. But you're still left with big holes in your team. And really, same with Yelan, sure she's strong, but if you don't have a main, fast attacking DPS, and the energy recharge for her... you get another underwhelming Hydro support. Runs fast, tho.
Usually, a team is built around the main DPS first, and here that leaves Wanderer, which fills that job very well, on top of being fun and useful in the world.
For some reason (and this might be a mistake), I am not really bothered about getting a meta/optimal team together right now. I'm years late to the game and so far behind in story progression that I don't know anything about any of the characters in the game. The hope is that the game is easy enough to be completed with the core characters plus whoever I pick up along the way without having to worry about (and wait for) getting specific characters. In other words, I'm currently not thinking about how this character of this element synergizes well with this skill of this other character and all that. I'm thinking "Wow Wanderer can fly!". Or "Yelan can run really fast" which would have been so useful as I was trekking all over Liyue these past few days. And there's still so much of this huge map left to uncover. So yeah I'm thinking I'll just try for characters that seem nice and that you guys recommend and not get bogged down in optimizing right now.

But to go back to your earlier issues... all three of those characters will require materials from beyond Li Yue. All three need Inazuma mats, and that's locked until you complete Li Yue and do a bunch of plot points in Inazuma itself. :cold-sweat:
This has actually been demoted to a secondary problem now because a bigger issue seems to be coming up. I'm currently playing at world tier 3 which unlocked at AR30. I have gone past AR35 and I didn't do the ascension trial, so it's okay for now. However, my accumulated XP is around AR37 already and I expect it will go past AR40 before I even leave Liyue. So when I eventually go to do the AR35 ascension trial and complete it to unlock world tier 4, I will also get an automatic bump to world tier 5 because I'm past AR40. That will mean a 20 level increase for enemies and I'll have to prepare my own characters to ascend that much. Except, as far as I understand, you actually need to kill some high level enemies to get certain materials to ascend your character. So we'll have to see how to navigate that issue.

Next patch also comes with Zhongli. Now he has none of those problems, but his role in a team is "don't take damage" and that's it. Trivializes any content, but doesn't exactly do much.
He's the Liyue archon right? Is it true that mihoyo actually makes archons deliberately stronger than regular characters because of lore reasons or whatever? I've read that Venti, Zhongli, Raiden Shogun are extremely popular because they are also extremely powerful. Maybe it might be worth trying to get Zhongli if that's the case. I'm still gathering primogems from just playing the game so there's no strategy here of saving for this character or that one. It's just try and pull on whichever character seems good and if it works out that's great otherwise back to saving.

It's a good amount of ressources, but unfinished, indeed... I don't think I'd do that.
Also next patch patch the BP is updated with new weapons (on top of the old ones), so I think it might be a good option then...? Genshin is less dependent on it than HSR, but it sure is useful early on.
Yea I reached 37 today and it's bothering me. Paying for an incomplete battle pass feels bad. But I also realized this might be the ceiling for me in terms of battle pass progression. When I look at the weekly tasks which would be a big part of completing the whole thing... I'm already doing what I can or am willing to do. I do the reputation bounties/quests, domains sometimes, the crafting, the cooking. But I don't do some of the other things like spending 500k Mora or 10 bosses or using up 1000 resin or the TCG stuff or the furnishing etc. I'm fairly certain you need to do at least a few of these things regularly to reach level 50. It's probably okay to miss a few of things a few times over the duration of 6 weeks but if you absolutely do not them at all for all 6 weeks you're not getting to 50. So, yeah, I don't know what to do here. They'll probably disable battle pass sales in a day or so as well.

The world exploration really is the strong point, and it only gets better. Which is also why I'm not sure rushing the story is ideal, but I like to push for some story beats sometimes. You'll reach Inazuma and Sumeru one day.
Also, Fontaine exploration will be just one teleport away after the Mondstadt story, seems like they've thought about that this time. Won't help you with Inazuma, but at least you'll be able to go pick up whatever and do events in Fontaine or something.
I actually had a question about this. Where exactly is Fontaine going to be on the world map? As in, west of Mondstadt or south of Liyue or where exactly? It's useless information but I am curious.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
For some reason (and this might be a mistake), I am not really bothered about getting a meta/optimal team together right now. I'm years late to the game and so far behind in story progression that I don't know anything about any of the characters in the game. The hope is that the game is easy enough to be completed with the core characters plus whoever I pick up along the way without having to worry about (and wait for) getting specific characters. In other words, I'm currently not thinking about how this character of this element synergizes well with this skill of this other character and all that. I'm thinking "Wow Wanderer can fly!". Or "Yelan can run really fast" which would have been so useful as I was trekking all over Liyue these past few days. And there's still so much of this huge map left to uncover. So yeah I'm thinking I'll just try for characters that seem nice and that you guys recommend and not get bogged down in optimizing right now.
So.... this is actually a problem in the short term, because the game does expect you to star using its reaction mechanics, especially in Inazuma which ramps up a lot of things.
It's less about the meta, and more about making a team that synergizes together, like say, Lisa and Kaeya are both very decent characters. That do not remotely work together, Kaeya is more for Pyro and freeze teams while Lisa is really made for Dendro.
Now you can brute force a lot, but that will cause issues at some point. Of course the Pyro+Dendro combo you have going solves most situations but...

This has actually been demoted to a secondary problem now because a bigger issue seems to be coming up. I'm currently playing at world tier 3 which unlocked at AR30. I have gone past AR35 and I didn't do the ascension trial, so it's okay for now. However, my accumulated XP is around AR37 already and I expect it will go past AR40 before I even leave Liyue. So when I eventually go to do the AR35 ascension trial and complete it to unlock world tier 4, I will also get an automatic bump to world tier 5 because I'm past AR40. That will mean a 20 level increase for enemies and I'll have to prepare my own characters to ascend that much. Except, as far as I understand, you actually need to kill some high level enemies to get certain materials to ascend your character. So we'll have to see how to navigate that issue.
This one is not a problem, you can fuse lower materials into higher ones at the alchemy table, at least.
Of course, that means an increase in monster material cost too, especially for talents. Which you get a bit more of in higher world levels, but I'd be more worried about the boss materials needed, you can farm those before going up in WL. A bit less efficient, but not a bad thing (don't forget to prepare your weapons too).
Don't forget the weekly ones, those are extremely valuable and actually very limited! (... and you will see actual limit for some at higher talent ranks in full force)

He's the Liyue archon right? Is it true that mihoyo actually makes archons deliberately stronger than regular characters because of lore reasons or whatever? I've read that Venti, Zhongli, Raiden Shogun are extremely popular because they are also extremely powerful. Maybe it might be worth trying to get Zhongli if that's the case. I'm still gathering primogems from just playing the game so there's no strategy here of saving for this character or that one. It's just try and pull on whichever character seems good and if it works out that's great otherwise back to saving.
Archons are almost always super strong, though Zhongli got the only buff in the game after release because China was not happy about his state. That's another can of worms...
Anyway, his shield completely trivializes normal content, but he is not really made for DPS (on the other hand, that means you can use the 3* Black Tassel weapon and be done with it).
Yelan would help you make burgeon reactions with your team, that's strong, but will also blow you up constantly.
Kokomi would be a great help for that really, she's even better at it. I always consider Kokomi in any team. It's not quite like Zhongli, but massive heals anytime you want, really good Hydro application and a walking tank in her burst mode? You're never disappointed with her. Sure, she's Barbara XXL so it feels a bit like a dupe, but she's so much more versatile and so much better at applying Hydro (works hella better with Tighnari too)... one of my favorites for sure.

Yea I reached 37 today and it's bothering me. Paying for an incomplete battle pass feels bad. But I also realized this might be the ceiling for me in terms of battle pass progression. When I look at the weekly tasks which would be a big part of completing the whole thing... I'm already doing what I can or am willing to do. I do the reputation bounties/quests, domains sometimes, the crafting, the cooking. But I don't do some of the other things like spending 500k Mora or 10 bosses or using up 1000 resin or the TCG stuff or the furnishing etc. I'm fairly certain you need to do at least a few of these things regularly to reach level 50. It's probably okay to miss a few of things a few times over the duration of 6 weeks but if you absolutely do not them at all for all 6 weeks you're not getting to 50. So, yeah, I don't know what to do here. They'll probably disable battle pass sales in a day or so as well.
There's enough leeway to finish the BP around two weeks before it ends, since events also get you BP levels (it will definitely be the case with Fontaine's release) so you don't really need that much done each week (definitely don't spend 500k for no reason, that's for sure... but later that's just one level 10 talent upgrade :cold-sweat: )... if you play often that is.
Note that you don't need to redeem boss drops for them to count, just kill them, so you can go on a killing spree for weaker ones and fill it up (back in the day, we would do that over a few days since the flower "chest" does not reset until the next day), same for Ley Line deposits, no need to spend resin, just completing them. And for the domains, you can just endlessly complete the Elemental trials in the Temple of the Lion (south east Mondstadt), it counts too.
You can also join someone's teapot... but that's for later.

I actually had a question about this. Where exactly is Fontaine going to be on the world map? As in, west of Mondstadt or south of Liyue or where exactly? It's useless information but I am curious.
Now that's it's in the official marketing, I guess it's not really a spoiler anymore... Fontaine (well the first big chunk anyway) is located all the way to the North-North West of Sumeru, accessible by boat with the teleport point opened for you right after the prologue quest.

Here you can see some stuff about it in RP form:

And there's more to the side.
Interesting that they call it at the center of Teyvat, which is definitely not true...

Here is the full full map if you want to see, but that's obviously a big spoiler:

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The archons are definitely among the best units in the game.
Venti completely invalidates small mobs, but has trouble with heavier mobs so he's fallen off on that front and become a bit more niche - still, he's still a monster in that niche.
Zhongli is the best shielder in the game with a tanky as hell shield that has no downtime and reduces enemy defense on top of it.
Raiden buffs Burst damage and regenerates enemy for the team and can dish out significant damage on top of it.
Nahida is by far the best Dendro applicator for 90% of teams and does significant damage.
I assume the Hydro archon is gonna be a centerpiece of many 4.x teams that will emerge as well.

I would also recommend taking a second to really get a feel for how reactions work. There's a big difference in terms of power and gamefeel of teams that synergize well vs. those that don't, and reactions are the main synergies.
It can also help with deciding which character to go for, so you might really enjoy a particular playstyle while not really liking another one.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I meant to reply earlier but things kept getting in the way...

So this thread is a journal of me bumbling my way through the game (and there will be one more example of this further down in this post) but I can assure you guys I absolutely do understand the importance of elemental reactions in this game. I know they are crucial for combat effectiveness and to make it fun to play. When I say I'm not keen on getting the meta characters it doesn't mean that it comes at the expense of being able to play the game at all. I'll just go back to the point of me being so late to the game and there being so very many characters around that I cannot possibly know about them all nor which ones I'd want to get to build a team with. So the idea right now is to just play with what I have and what I can get along the journey. And not, like, pre-planning a team which I've read works really well and then waiting for their banners to appear. Just take it as it comes but obviously still keep a viable team going.

A while ago I tried something that sort of drives home this point. The entire community is unanimous on the notion that Dehya is rubbish and Xiangling is supposed to be quite good. So I thought I should maybe swap out Dehya for Xiangling in my team. But it didn't work for me because I'm used to Dehya applying her AOE fire all the time and then Tighnari putting down his AOE dendro thing and then Lisa comes in and blows up everything up with electro. And from time to time I use Barbara to apply hydro when required. Xiangling's ultimate is damn good but it was just not as comfortable using her. It's not that I thought Xiangling was bad or anything. Not being able to make her work is probably a skill issue or an artifact issue or whatever. I just went back to using the 'bad' character and as long as I can keep making my way through the story and side quests that's good enough for me. That's not to say I won't replace her if I want to but for now she's working out fine. Barbara is there for her heal but I find that I don't need it all that often so replacing her with hydro Yelan sounds like it could be a good idea. And it's a plus that she's a bow user. So far I've been using Dehya as the tank but I've also kept Noelle leveled up in case an actual tank/shielder becomes necessary at some point. Zhongli sounds a character that would take care of that problem permanently so we'll see if that can work out. I've also been keeping Kaeya and the Traveler leveled up (as far as possible with my resources) in case other elements are absolutely required.

Speaking of Zhongli, I finally just met him yesterday in the Liyue archon quest. Him being the archon takes care of the whole Rex Lapis murder mystery story of this entire region :ROFLMAO:

So here's the part where I realized I was a complete dimwit in this game (again!) a few days ago. I knew that characters require various materials for ascension and that some of them have level gating requirements. Like "you need 2 of material ABC that drops from XYZ enemies who are above level 40" for example. I figured I'll come across those enemies as I continue playing through the game and I knew some of them are in regions that come later so I didn't look closely at the requirements. Then the other day it occurred to me that I should actually look at where those enemies are and would you believe it, those items are from the boss fights that you have to go to and specifically activate to start o_O. I had done that electro cube boss fight once in the past and had failed miserably and then never went back to try them again. So yeah, in the last few days I've taken Lisa from level 40 to 60, Barbara can go up to 60 but I'm thinking of waiting to see if maybe I can pull Yelan to replace her. The traveler is on the way to 70 now. Dehya and Tighnari still require materials from their regions so it'll be a while till I get there but there you go... I was playing with underleveled Mondstadt characters because I did not bother to check what the actual requirements to ascend them were.

Don't forget the weekly ones, those are extremely valuable and actually very limited! (... and you will see actual limit for some at higher talent ranks in full force)
So now I have to ask, which ones are these specifically? Because I've clearly not been doing them and I guess I should be since they're time gated weekly. Is it fair to assume that they are similar to Star Rail where you require boss materials for the last few talent upgrades but you can reach one below that level and still be mostly okay in the game? Are they also required for actual character or weapon ascension?

There's enough leeway to finish the BP around two weeks before it ends, since events also get you BP levels (it will definitely be the case with Fontaine's release) so you don't really need that much done each week (definitely don't spend 500k for no reason, that's for sure... but later that's just one level 10 talent upgrade :cold-sweat: )... if you play often that is.
Note that you don't need to redeem boss drops for them to count, just kill them, so you can go on a killing spree for weaker ones and fill it up (back in the day, we would do that over a few days since the flower "chest" does not reset until the next day), same for Ley Line deposits, no need to spend resin, just completing them. And for the domains, you can just endlessly complete the Elemental trials in the Temple of the Lion (south east Mondstadt), it counts too.
You can also join someone's teapot... but that's for later.
I actually did all the season long event battlepass challenges and still didn't manage to get past 41. It was the weekly challenges where progression faltered. I did some of the easier ones but I never used up all my resin nor did I grind out ley lines or domains. Like I said before, I somehow just don't want to spend my time doing the GAAS grinding in this GAAS game outside of the daily primogem commissions. In contrast, I finished the Star Rail battlepass today after just over 3 weeks because I did basically everything in that game. These battlepasses can be completed with time to spare as long as you are doing a lot of the things to do. You can finish them just in time as long as you are doing most of the things. It's unfortunate I don't play the game enough to get to the end because the rewards scale up as you go deeper into the thing. We'll see how it goes in the next patch.

I find this teleport point to Fontaine curious because while it unlocks after finishing the Mondstadt archon quest, the actual location is nowhere near Mondstadt. You would have the run through the entire map to get to that place. That's not great.

Oh yeah, while doing that event which required you to find those little animals, I had to run half way across the map. It was beautiful, as usual, but I also came across this location called the chasm. Am I right in assuming this is another Dragonspine type location which I can just skip when I finish Liyue and move on to Inazuma?

Oh and in a minor victory, I actually managed to 100% an area without actually trying for it. Felt good to have found all the secrets and stuff by myself.

Last edited:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
So now I have to ask, which ones are these specifically? Because I've clearly not been doing them and I guess I should be since they're time gated weekly. Is it fair to assume that they are similar to Star Rail where you require boss materials for the last few talent upgrades but you can reach one below that level and still be mostly okay in the game? Are they also required for actual character or weapon ascension?

I find this teleport point to Fontaine curious because while it unlocks after finishing the Mondstadt archon quest, the actual location is nowhere near Mondstadt. You would have the run through the entire map to get to that place. That's not great.

Oh yeah, while doing that event which required you to find those little animals, I had to run half way across the map. It was beautiful, as usual, but I also came across this location called the chasm. Am I right in assuming this is another Dragonspine type location which I can just skip when I finish Liyue and move on to Inazuma?
The weekly bosses are essentially the big boss fights you do during archon quests (or archon's follow up quests, like Zhongli's personal ones). After you do the quest they "unlock" as domains/bosses you can claim rewards from once a week. 3 per week you get a discount of 50% stamina cost, 30 instead of 60, so the recommendation is obviously do at least 3 per week but I did all of them every week for a while.

So Dvalin is one - if you look at the ruin spire where you fought him, there's a domain square there now that is you "reliving" the fight, I think you can pick your difficulty up to your world tier like other domains and then it's basically the boss fight again (Dvalin is the most different from the story one I think though). There's the... wolf... spirit... guy... I forget what he's called but he's the only "open world" weekly boss. The rest are technically spoilers for some stuff that happens in the archon quests, but if you want to see them:

In Liyue, there's Childe and Azhdaha. In Inazuma there is Signora and Raiden Shogun... body? In Sumeru there is the Arcane God of Mecha Punches (Scaramouche) and a weird Dendro heart infection worm thing.

The unique things the weekly bosses drop are the high-end talent level up materials - once talents get to like 7-10 you need weekly boss materials in addition to the talent domain materials (and enemy drops) to level them higher. The bosses also have a chance to drop weapon billets, which you can use to make f2p weapons at the blacksmith, and dream solvents which just let you change a boss talent reward to another one at the alchemy bench (each boss drops 3 and each character usually needs a specific one of those 3).

The Fontaine WP is being given specifically because it's not near Mondstadt, to allow newer players coming in to explore there without having to truck across Sumeru and the desert (it's basically the farthest point in Sumeru from Mondstatd).

Chasm was added after Inazuma, and personally I like it a lot but it is a side area (there is a side area in Inazuma too that's f'ing huge) that's not part of the archon quest but does have a dope quest involved.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
A while ago I tried something that sort of drives home this point. The entire community is unanimous on the notion that Dehya is rubbish and Xiangling is supposed to be quite good. So I thought I should maybe swap out Dehya for Xiangling in my team. But it didn't work for me because I'm used to Dehya applying her AOE fire all the time and then Tighnari putting down his AOE dendro thing and then Lisa comes in and blows up everything up with electro. And from time to time I use Barbara to apply hydro when required. Xiangling's ultimate is damn good but it was just not as comfortable using her. It's not that I thought Xiangling was bad or anything. Not being able to make her work is probably a skill issue or an artifact issue or whatever. I just went back to using the 'bad' character and as long as I can keep making my way through the story and side quests that's good enough for me. That's not to say I won't replace her if I want to but for now she's working out fine. Barbara is there for her heal but I find that I don't need it all that often so replacing her with hydro Yelan sounds like it could be a good idea. And it's a plus that she's a bow user. So far I've been using Dehya as the tank but I've also kept Noelle leveled up in case an actual tank/shielder becomes necessary at some point. Zhongli sounds a character that would take care of that problem permanently so we'll see if that can work out. I've also been keeping Kaeya and the Traveler leveled up (as far as possible with my resources) in case other elements are absolutely required.

Speaking of Zhongli, I finally just met him yesterday in the Liyue archon quest. Him being the archon takes care of the whole Rex Lapis murder mystery story of this entire region :ROFLMAO:
The community idea of a working team can be a net negative while levelling, a lot of teams are optimized for the endgame Spiral Abyss... or just damage-per-screenshot, while there's now way for them to work until you're far enough to get the appropriate artifacts and weapons.
Definitely agree with keeping comfortable characters, Dehya is definitely really reliable with her E skill, Xiangling is always strong, but sending Guoba to do damage sure is a lot less practical (I remember using her in Dragonspine and how great it was to constantly miss torches and mechanics due to the hitbox... :face-with-rolling-eyes: ).
If Barbara feels unnecessary, she can be swapped for sure. But Yelan will come with some of those "endgame" issues in that she's pretty clunky to use in combat without the right gear.
Also why I like Kokomi so much more than Barbara, she is better at healing, but also at doing extra damage and applying Hydro, the healing is almost a bonus. Role compression is a big deal in Genshin, just like it is in HSR.

Like Amzin said, they are weekly bosses, they are called "Trounce Domains" in your Adventurer handbook.
They work exactly like the Echoes of War in HSR, and give the same rewards, talent/trace materials for higher ranks, on top of a bunch of artifacts and weapon billets like HSR sometimes drop weapons.
Though unlike HSR, you can do all of them every week, but only once each. Makes it slower if you only need one type, but faster if you need a lot of different stuff.

I actually did all the season long event battlepass challenges and still didn't manage to get past 41. It was the weekly challenges where progression faltered. I did some of the easier ones but I never used up all my resin nor did I grind out ley lines or domains. Like I said before, I somehow just don't want to spend my time doing the GAAS grinding in this GAAS game outside of the daily primogem commissions. In contrast, I finished the Star Rail battlepass today after just over 3 weeks because I did basically everything in that game. These battlepasses can be completed with time to spare as long as you are doing a lot of the things to do. You can finish them just in time as long as you are doing most of the things. It's unfortunate I don't play the game enough to get to the end because the rewards scale up as you go deeper into the thing. We'll see how it goes in the next patch.
I wouldn't be surprised that it's because you came back to the game shortly before the current BP started, which makes things slower early (after all, you still don't get the weekly freebies like the ones in the housing teapot right now, I don't think? It unlocks late in Li Yue) and made you miss some of the event reward in the BP too.
It's always an annoying part of the BP model when you're not here right at launch... and even then, in early Genshin, it was not that easy to get the full 50 levels, we had a pretty limited selection of objectives.

That's going back to what we were talking about in here, it is just weird that there's no boat route to Fontaine yet, while it's clearly the way it's done in universe. :huhblob:
It's a clutch to make Fontaine available to everyone, at least. Better than forcing you to run literally to the end of the world as a new player...

Oh and in a minor victory, I actually managed to 100% an area without actually trying for it. Felt good to have found all the secrets and stuff by myself.
The Chasm is canonically done after you're done with the entirety of Inazuma. Unlike Dragonspine, there's nothing especially dangerous or required there, so you can explore it anytime. You may want to if you get Yelan, as her boss is in there actually.

And 100%ing zones is the best feeling. :blobnerd:
Note that there's always more than needed for 100%, so it's likely there are still things to find there. I stumbled upon a challenge in Li Yue the other day...

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Crazy that Fontaine is almost here. It's been almost 3 years since the release of this shit. Where does time go.
I really enjoyed the Sumeru storyline and map, so here's hoping Fontaine is more of that. I don't keep up with leaks or none of that so I'm really going in blind.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I finished the Liyue archon story on Sunday. Now Inazuma is locked down and I got a series of quests I have to complete to access it. I also unlocked the Liyue reputation person and I've done about 30 of the 50 odd world quests and only 48% exploration so I'll be spending some more time here. I did complete reputation for Mondstadt and crafted the treasure compass but I've not been able to make it work. Is the range on that thing really short or am I just looking in barren areas? I keep trying it on cooldown when I'm doing the daily commissions and so far not a single hit.

Thanks for the info on the weekly bosses. Add them to the list of necessary things I don't feel like doing at all :p

As for the new Fontaine teleporter, I misunderstood how it's meant to work. I initially thought they were adding an unactivated teleporter in that location and that everyone would have run there to activate it (like we do with all teleporters) and then use it to teleport to Fontaine. Then I realized they're actually going to give an active teleporter there so everyone can reach that place and then head to Fontaine however we're supposed to. Doh!

I was doing side quests in Liyue Harbor and got one to head to the Chasm. Decided to go there and muck about and the next thing you know I have 72% zone exploration done. Then I got to the quest which takes you to the underground mine area and holy shit it is huge! Just how much game have they stuffed inside this game?! I did one quest there and then it got overwhelming so I decided to head back to the city and I'll continue the main story line. We'll see when we can make it back here. There was one cutscene where they showed Yelan briefly as she ran away.

I was talking to a friend who plays the game and he insists that I should not pull for any character before Raiden Shogun. I was telling him I'm thinking about Wanderer and Yelan and Zhongli and he was like "No. Absolutely not. Nobody at all before Raiden." I looked her up and she's apparently super popular and powerful but is she that good that you should just not pull for anyone at all before her? She's rumored to appear in 4.1 I believe.

Anyway, all you guys will be in Fontaine tomorrow. Hope you have a great time there :)

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Raiden is strong but she's definitely not the top of "this character can go in so many teams and carry them" like Zhongli, Nahida, Yelan, and Kazuha/Venti. You either build a team around her (Raiden on-field carry) or stack Elemental Mastery on her and she's just off-field electro which other characters can also do well.

When built up and with the right team around her she's a super strong carry but definitely not someone I'd recommend first if you have a limited roster or don't want to build specifically her teams.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, Raiden is good and fairly versatile but defintely not "you absolutely need her above everyone else!!!!"-tier.
She gets hyped up a lot because she has an early constellation that DRAMATICALLY increases her damage (C2) and a really strong weapon, but like... that's not exactly a good recommendation for a beginner and/or someone who doesn't want to spend (much) money, sooo....
You can't go wrong with her if you want her, but if you want other characters more, nothing wrong with that either.

Speaking of characters.... drip marketing for 4.1!

Wriothesly

Neuvilette

both seem to be catalyst main DPS with HP lose/regain shenanigans.
Their splash arts are out in the wild as well and.... I think I'll go for Neuvilette :sweaty-blob:

So far all Fontaine 5* are main DPS with HP mechanics, so I'm guessing the Archon will be the BiS support for that. Really curious about how that kit is going to look like.
But first I need animations for the guys :blobeyes: