|OT| Genshin Impact - Breath of the Elements

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I played like half an hour, I like what I saw a lot. Game looks great.
I think I'll be joining the AR5 reroll brigade for a bit, I want a bit more than just Noelle and it's not too much of a pain :grimacing-face:
AR 7 seems too much work though, so I'll just roll with what I roll after I'm happy with my initial 10 pull.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I got Diluc on my 3rd attempt at reroll, which is neat. I always welcome more male characters to my party, as the game basically gives away female characters like candy. He seems badass too.

I'll take my time with the game, talking to everyone, reading all the lore, and exploring at my own pace. Gotta be a good time ahead. :coffee-blob:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
One other issue with Genshin is that the anti-cheat seems to interfere with .dll injection, therefore Steam Overlay/SpecialK/ReShade etc doesn't work.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
One other issue with Genshin is that the anti-cheat seems to interfere with .dll injection, therefore Steam Overlay/SpecialK/ReShade etc doesn't work.
Indeed.

You can add Genshin as non-Steam game and run it as usual, but no overlay or anything.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Really enjoy the game, especially how the elements are actually relevant for everything, from battles to little "puzzles" to just collecting mats.
Can't you rebind the keykinds in game? I see that option in the menu but it doesn't seem to work.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Trying to play this. Is the download supposed to be incredibly slow? I don't think it's using even a 10th of the gigabit.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just reached AR9 earlier, so far so good for day 1. Fischl is awesome with her Jojo pose.

Trying to play this. Is the download supposed to be incredibly slow? I don't think it's using even a 10th of the gigabit.
Pause then resume seems to work for most people having that issue.

Reactions: Ascheroth

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
update coming soon to fix the anti-cheat running after the game is closed

excited to jump into this after work today!

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
First time playing a Gacha game. This has been really good so far, I can definitely sink hours into it.
Have only done 1 roll and got Noelle of course and whoever this is? who is a 4 star.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Pretty game~

If anyone wanna add me, ID is
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
(Europe)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik and texhnolyze

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
If only we can add friends across different region servers. :dana_tense:

Anyway, my UID is below if anyone wants to add (Asia server).

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Game is fucking gorgeous

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread or react to this post in order to see this content.
I´m on America.

Reactions: DriftedPlanet
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'm in Asia server too, I'll add you all in the same server.

I am on Asia server as I don't think the eastern servers are anywhere else physically but Japan. Like they separated Taiwan HK from Asia.

Also is the currency for wishes obtainable just through just playing?

Yeah, you can get primogems (the right one) by just playing, whether from completing challenges, dungeons, puzzles, or opening chests, etc. You can use it to wish and it'll automatically be converted to fates (the left one). After each pull, you will also get another currency (some dust) that you can trade for fates and many other stuff in the shop.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Not a fan of watermarked screenshots. But it'll have to do for now.

Finished playing for the day with Adv Level 7. I quite enjoy this game. I had activity selection paralysis in PSO2 because there's so many of them. I feel more relaxed here.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I played for ~3 hours yesterday and was positively surprised. The exploration/traversal and combat both seem really fun.

Of course, I don't trust gacha as far as I can throw it, so I expect the other shoe to drop in terms of stupid grind any second now.

It's certainly a beautiful game, wish it had a draw distance/LoD setting.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Some quests aren't marked on your map and quest book so exploration is well rewarded. Just did the tri-seal side quest, that was awesome.
The reward is a golden chest with a berserker artifact and a claymore prototype to craft a 4* greatsword.

• Hug

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Like all games of this type, I find that being showered with loot is just stupid and annoying.
However, I do like that you can just throw everything to upgrade your more precious pieces of gear, and it's good that you actually get them as rewards from well hidden or more puzzle based chests.
Same for XP books, useful, but just not a classy way to do it, fiddling around with the inventory was completely unneeded.

Cool solo game, but when you reach refining stage for repeating dungeons, it's going to be baaad isn't it?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Like all games of this type, I find that being showered with loot is just stupid and annoying.
However, I do like that you can just throw everything to upgrade your more precious pieces of gear, and it's good that you actually get them as rewards from well hidden or more puzzle based chests.
Same for XP books, useful, but just not a classy way to do it, fiddling around with the inventory was completely unneeded.

Cool solo game, but when you reach refining stage for repeating dungeons, it's going to be baaad isn't it?
Yeah, I agree with most of that. My plan is to simply play it casually, and only until the "service game retention" mechanics get annoying. So far it's really very fun for that purpose, I didn't expect the world exploration to be so charming.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
really enjoyed the first few hours. combat seems a bit simple despite the element mechanics but the traversal and exploration is surprisingly engaging.

right now, my biggest gripes have to do with the controller support - it detects my Xbox One controller fine, but why do I have to manually enable it every time I launch and how was this not fixed in beta? Why on earth does enabling the controller shrink the onscreen text size, to a point where a lot of it is difficult to read (while it shouldn't change the text size at all, isn't this backwards? aren't people who use a gamepad more likely to be further from the screen?)? Why isn't there an option to press A to confirm and B to cancel in menus, like we Westerners are accustomed to?

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Is there anyway to back out and pick the other twin? I ended up picking the girl but kind of want to play as the guy instead.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
really enjoyed the first few hours. combat seems a bit simple despite the element mechanics but the traversal and exploration is surprisingly engaging.

right now, my biggest gripes have to do with the controller support - it detects my Xbox One controller fine, but why do I have to manually enable it every time I launch and how was this not fixed in beta? Why on earth does enabling the controller shrink the onscreen text size, to a point where a lot of it is difficult to read (while it shouldn't change the text size at all, isn't this backwards? aren't people who use a gamepad more likely to be further from the screen?)? Why isn't there an option to press A to confirm and B to cancel in menus, like we Westerners are accustomed to?
Yeah, it's my biggest grip with the game as well. It's minor, but annoying if you play in short burst throughout the day.

I've already sent them a feedback regarding this.

Is there anyway to back out and pick the other twin? I ended up picking the girl but kind of want to play as the guy instead.
Not that I know of. You can change your main character's name, but not the gender. It's part of the main story.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I'm soooo loving the exploration <3
And it's pretty.

Currently AR 9, once I reach 10 I have a bunch of gambling rolling to do. Would be neat if I get a nice character :)

DriftedPlanet

Ash, I think something was in those sandwiches
Oct 27, 2018
I'm soooo loving the exploration <3
And it's pretty.

Currently AR 9, once I reach 10 I have a bunch of gambling rolling to do. Would be neat if I get a nice character :)
Well, if getting nice characters is your concern, know that Chongyun is currently considered S-tier as an Enabler (abilities persist after swapping so they're conducive to element combos) and secondary role is burst iirc so good pull already! The enabler ability he has is the one that makes an aoe zone turning all player damage to Cryo iirc.

The subreddit seems obsessed with Mona, Fischl, and Jean so they're probably solid as well. Oh, and the Wolf Stand boy, Razor, is cool as well as great.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Well, if getting nice characters is your concern, know that Chongyun is currently considered S-tier as an Enabler (abilities persist after swapping so they're conducive to element combos) and secondary role is burst iirc so good pull already! The enabler ability he has is the one that makes an aoe zone turning all player damage to Cryo iirc.

The subreddit seems obsessed with Mona, Fischl, and Jean so they're probably solid as well. Oh, and the Wolf Stand boy, Razor, is cool as well as great.
Coolio. I haven't been following the Meta that much. Chongyun plays nicely so that's neat.
Just did my second pull on the beginner banner and got Razor.

The best idle animation.

I wanted him as well, so that works out nicely :D

Still have a bunch of fates left (and primogems), I wonder if I should save them or try my luck on the Venti banner and hope I get a nice 5star (ha...) like Mona or Keqing.

Last edited:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Say Durante what's your verdict on the frame-pacing in Genshin? I guess the 60fps limiter of the game is hardly the best right?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Gotta say I'm very happy with my pulls.
Chongyun and Razor is an incredibly fun combo in combat.
Just lay out Chongyuns cryo field, swap to Razor, summon his wolf stand and then just rip and tear into enemies for a superconduct explosion festival.
So satisfying :02eat:

Especially because Razor's recharge speed is really fast < 3

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'm utterly addicted to the combat an exploration. I hope they add the other story areas at a steady pace though.
Yup, it's so good.

They've already confirmed the previews for all 7 nations/regions in the game from a trailer a few days ago, so I guess everything is in order. I also saw a patch notes leak from the Chinese version in Reddit, mentioning the 3rd region Inazuma, a Japanese style nation.

Already did that and the download speed stays the same. I'll just let it download overnight and play tomorrow.
Well, that's too bad.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Hot take: I like Genshin's art style a lot better compared to BOTW. Although to be fair, I don't own a copy to test in Cemu so I can compare the two. Just from comparing random screenshots. People are calling it shameless copying, but I never really got interested in playing BOTW for some reason.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I played until AR 13 yesterday. I'm having an absolute blast. I've already said it, but exploration feels so rewarding, and it even has nice NPCs to talk to which might give you rewards in some of their dialog trees (hell, the nun in the cathedral even gives you a 4* artifact). And the library has a boatload of books to read :sweaty-blob:
Like, right now it really feels like a high quality open world JRPG, and the gacha aspect doesn't feel that annoying. I'll admit, I got "lucky" because I got characters that were high on my "character that would be nice if I got them" list and as I said they even play real nice together, but right now I don't even feel the need to try my luck and see if I can get someone else, I might just save all the rolls and currency for a while.
I've only unlocked the daily quests yesterday, so of course it's hard to say how I'll feel about them in a week or so, but so far they haven't felt like busywork, because while I go and do them, I get constantly sidetracked by treasure chests and small puzzles and that feels really nice.

I've played other gacha games but usually went away quickly because the daily grind got annoying and the gameplay loop was just too basic to make that worth it (basically just combat which you usually put on auto anyway to do the daily grind that gives you resources so your characters numbers get higher which allows you to watch the game play itself in harder daily grind activities for better rewards so your character numbers get higher, etc.)
I feel like having actual rewarding exploration and controlling your characters directly in this world could really make the difference for me here.

Of course, the gacha/service game aspects could get annoying in the future, but for now I have a good feeling. 🤞
Anyway, plan for today after work is getting to at least AR 16 and doing some jolly co-op with some friends.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just learned this earlier, super useful. I guess I gotta bring Diluc, Xiangling, Qeking, and Fischl for maximum dps.

I was already obliterating things with Chongyun + Razor with a 4 different elements party.
So this means for maximum carnage I should go for Chongyun + Kaeya for double cryo and Razor + Lisa for double electro. :hyperlook:

Also those are some good rolls :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So any tips for someone who never played a game with Gacha mechanics before?

DriftedPlanet

Oct 27, 2018
So any tips for someone who never played a game with Gacha mechanics before?
It's not too bad in this one. Play the quests and level up your characters with the xp books when you get them, do the beginner rolls when you get to AR5 and when you have enough currency again at AR10 or so. Use free currency on character banners as those exclude 5* weapons so your chance of 5* characters is higher than the unlimited time banner (0.6% vs 0.3% iirc).

When rolling gachas, always wait until you can do a 10 pull because 10 pulls guarantee at least 1 will be a 4* weapon or character. Single pulls don't guarantee that even if you do the single pull 10 times in a row. Apparently single pulls do count towards that 10 pull total.

Yes, there are a bunch of duplicate pieces of gear but those are used to enhance and level the ones you want to keep. You also get AR exp for finding things in the world like teleports/statues of the 7 and small amounts of currency every time you open a chest.

Once you get to AR12 or 13, do the 4 daily quests for AR exp and rewards. Go to the quest counter girl in Mondstadt to collect bonuses when you level up and when you finish your dailies.

Doing quests is the quickest way to level AR though, so it's fine to just play as a normal game for the most part. Exploring is fun and side quests that I've come across in the world have been pretty enjoyable too.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
It's not too bad in this one. Play the quests and level up your characters with the xp books whether you get them, do the beginner rolls when you get to AR5 and when you have enough currency again at AR10 or so. Use free currency on character banners as those exclude 5* weapons so your chance of 5* characters is higher than the unlimited time banner (0.6% vs 0.3% iirc).

When rolling gachas, always wait until you can do a 10 pull because 10 pulls guarantee at least 1 will be a 4* weapon or character. Single pulls don't guarantee that even if you do the single pull 10 times in a row.

Yes, there are a bunch of duplicate pieces of gear but those are used to enhance and level the ones you want to keep. You also get AR exp for finding things in the world like teleports/statues of the 7 and small amounts of currency every time you open a chest.

Once you get to AR12 or 13, do the 4 daily quests for AR exp and rewards. Go to the quest counter girl in Mondstadt to collect bonuses when you level up and when you finish your dailies.

Doing quests is the quickest way to level AR though, so it's fine to just play as a normal game for the most part. Exploring is fun and side quests that I've come across in the world have been pretty enjoyable too.
Thank you for the tips. By free currency you mean the essential gems? If so how do I use them as the only option that appears is to use the other currencies?

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've never played a game like this... but I'm going to give it a shot. Is unlocking new characters totally random? I want to be a bard!

Last edited:

DriftedPlanet

Oct 27, 2018
Thank you for the tips. By free currency you mean the essential gems? If so how do I use them as the only option that appears is to use the other currencies?
If you don't have the fates currency you can click the 10 pull and it'll ask if you want to use the free currency. 1600 for a 10 pull minus 160 for every one of the fate currency that you currently have.

On a related note, when you pull you get another currency that you can use in Shop. Shop is in Paimon's menu, top-left. Click to the third option down (should show that you can pay a premium currency for fates) and that one will have tabs. Far right tab will let you use the currency from having pulled to get an amount of banner fates and standard fates which refresh their purchase limits monthly (tomorrow in this case). That tab also has Ascension materials, for uncapping character levels (first cap is 20 and requires you to be AR15 to do Ascension so you can safely ignore these).

It's convoluted but luckily far less than MiHoyo's last game, honkai impact 3rd.
I've never played a game like this... but I'm going to give it a shot. Is unlocking new characters totally random? I want to be a bard!
You'll get at least 5 specific ones from the story, another 2 from playing enough, and then enough rewards for some free pulls. The free pulls are random though I'm counting the 1 non-random pull already.

There is at least one bard (not guaranteed) but there is a guaranteed idol/musician character if you get to AR20 before patch 1.1. Unfortunately we don't know when the patch will happen.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The 1.1 patch is not too far off as we've already seen the patch notes from the Chinese version. We'll probably get it later this month.
  • New World location (Inazuma)
  • System UI updates to friend system and a messaging system
  • New events that have new glider skin reward
  • Free Char at level 40+ Ice Sword User

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
If you don't have the fates currency you can click the 10 pull and it'll ask if you want to use the free currency. 1600 for a 10 pull minus 160 for every one of the fate currency that you currently have.

On a related note, when you pull you get another currency that you can use in Shop. Shop is in Paimon's menu, top-left. Click to the third option down (should show that you can pay a premium currency for fates) and that one will have tabs. Far right tab will let you use the currency from having pulled to get an amount of banner fates and standard fates which refresh their purchase limits monthly (tomorrow in this case). That tab also has Ascension materials, for uncapping character levels (first cap is 20 and requires you to be AR15 to do Ascension so you can safely ignore these).

It's convoluted but luckily far less than MiHoyo's last game, honkai impact 3rd.
Got it!

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Hmm, I really want to try out this game. It's free, got nothing to lose LOL.

I like the art style and some of the character clothing remind of the newer Tales of games. (Zestiria/Berseria). Would anyone happen to know who the artist is for this game?

Saw the gameplay trailer just now, but there doesn't seem to be any lock on feature. Is there an option in-game?