|OT| Genshin Impact - Breath of the Elements

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was initially annoyed by the setup for the new event taking so long, since I thought I'd have to re-do it for every day. But since it's one time only I actually really enjoy the event now. It mixes up the gameplay nicely.

In a similar vein, I really think if I could store parties (and their weapon/artifact loadouts) rather than manually redoing them I'd enjoy Abyss a lot more.

Last edited:

MaskedCircle

"Let's Positive Thinking"
May 28, 2021

Forgot to send on 1st september so doing it right now, got her and her signature weapon. Took me around 200 rolls but done with banner with no rolls left now.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
This combat event is... not bad at all actually?
Using duos is pretty interesting and different, being forced to switch very fast too. Plus you only get buffs and not stupid debuffs like frost or energy loss.
Though I found the last fight annoying when you have those flying ruin sentinels and only a couple of archers in your lot and need to switch group by group with a timer, that sucked.

Fishing on the other hand, not very fun.
You only have one button to press, you can't even move the bait, there's no concept of weight or sizes, buying rewards is insanely grindy... I like that you can see which fishes are available, but then it's still pretty random what you spawns every other day...
Disappointing.

Also, changed my Ayaka team, she's got Xingqiu, Kaeya and Sayu now, and it's a lot of fun and much more flexible than some others like Mona. Xingqiu+Kaeya is just a strong combo for almost any team, but Sayu in particular is just a ton of fun.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Combat event is fun.
Fishing has run its course for me.
Mechanically it's fine. But the real-time gating + grindiness suuucks. I still don't have the Catch :notlikethisblob:
The reward structure is also super weird. There are 5 fishes that aren't used for anything. What's the point of the fishing poles? It's not like you can't catch everything with the default one and by the time you can afford them, you have most of the worthwhile stuff already anyway.

Reactions: MaskedCircle

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Got Keqing :D
Hope you won't get her every 5* like I do now.
Combat event is fun.
Fishing has run its course for me.
Mechanically it's fine. But the real-time gating + grindiness suuucks. I still don't have the Catch :notlikethisblob:
The reward structure is also super weird. There are 5 fishes that aren't used for anything. What's the point of the fishing poles? It's not like you can't catch everything with the default one and by the time you can afford them, you have most of the worthwhile stuff already anyway.
Fishing really feels half baked, mechanics being so limited make it feel real grindy. If at least it was a point system, you could sometimes be happy to get a big fish worth a lot, but no... it's just grind 60 of everything.
Really odd.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Fishing as it is would ne ok to me if it didn't have items tied to it, if it was just a way to farm for fish to cook.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Fishing really feels half baked, mechanics being so limited make it feel real grindy. If at least it was a point system, you could sometimes be happy to get a big fish worth a lot, but no... it's just grind 60 of everything.
Really odd.
Yes, a straight up point system would have been preferable, where you get points based on a fishs rarity and size (another thing they completely ommitted) by trading them in at the association. Fishing poles and bait make it easier to catch rarer and bigger fish. Have a weekly point cap if you want to slow down the road to the rewards a bit.
Perhaps some small one-time rewards when you catch a fish for the first time or get one that exceeds a certain size. Ornamental versions can also stay as a rare drop (but make them worth some points too....)
Only question would be whether they should display the exact fishes like now or make it unkown what you get (the fish shadows of different sizes commonly seen in other games). Though even if they keep it as is, having individual sizes per fish that are worth different points would already make it more "exciting".

As it is right now, after the first-day euphoria, this side-activity is kind of a miss.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What I find strange and/or regrettable is how much less fleshed out fishing -- a permanent activity -- seems compared to many things that they only introduce as part of temporary events.
You'd think they'd put at least several-temporary-events worth of effort into a permanent fixture, but it doesn't seem that way.

I guess that's still my biggest issue with Genshin, even more so than the Gacha: the focus on fostering FOMO.

• This!
Reactions: Wok

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I just wish they gave us some permanent side activities to do that costs anything, sometimes I just want to play Genshin but I have nothing to do because I run out of resin and already did the daily stuff, I was hoping fishing would be a fun minigame, but the grind for items and the 3 day lock crap is fucking annoying.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Interestingly, I play somewhat consistently, never spent anything on resin refills, and I still have tons of character stories (4* and 5*) open since I never got around to doing them. The vast majority of my Genshin time is used up by FOMO activities like dailies, spending resin, and events.

I guess I did spend quite some time on exploration, I have 100% of Mondstadt and 99.8% of Liyue discovered, and I already 100%'d a few. of the Inazuma areas. It's easily my favourite part of the game overall.

• This!
Reactions: MaskedCircle

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
What I find strange and/or regrettable is how much less fleshed out fishing -- a permanent activity -- seems compared to many things that they only introduce as part of temporary events.
You'd think they'd put at least several-temporary-events worth of effort into a permanent fixture, but it doesn't seem that way.

I guess that's still my biggest issue with Genshin, even more so than the Gacha: the focus on fostering FOMO.
To be fair a lot of effort went and continues to go into the teapot. It still has issues cough load limit cough but overall it's a very impressive system.
Even the reputation system, while a lot smaller in scope, is well thought through.
Fishing really seems like an outlier.
Also funny thing you say that less effort went into it then into events - there will be a fishing event starting tomorrow :grimacing-face:
Let's see if it will be "better" than the permanent fishing.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Came back to Genshin in the past few weeks after around 3-4 months away, wanted to try for Baal (I've gone from AR 33 to AR 38, so close to 40 now!)

My first roll on the Raiden Shogun banner was somehow a 5 star, so of course I lost the 50/50 (got Keqing, which was nice, but is kind of redundant given that I'm also trying to get a lightning 5 star). 56 more rolls in (just Welkin and battlepass, no gem purchases) and I got some decent stuff - another Xingqiu (C4 now), another two Sucroses (C6!) and a single Kujou Sara.

C'mon, MiHoYo, just give me my damn Shogun already!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Came back to Genshin in the past few weeks after around 3-4 months away, wanted to try for Baal (I've gone from AR 33 to AR 38, so close to 40 now!)

My first roll on the Raiden Shogun banner was somehow a 5 star, so of course I lost the 50/50 (got Keqing, which was nice, but is kind of redundant given that I'm also trying to get a lightning 5 star). 56 more rolls in (just Welkin and battlepass, no gem purchases) and I got some decent stuff - another Xingqiu (C4 now), another two Sucroses (C6!) and a single Kujou Sara.

C'mon, MiHoYo, just give me my damn Shogun already!
Good luck!
She's fun. But also sorta limited in use. I suppose I should try the Raiden/Xingqiu/Xiangling/Bennett team one of these days.
Though I believe her niche is pretty future-proof and her team options will increase with more characters.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Good luck!
She's fun. But also sorta limited in use. I suppose I should try the Raiden/Xingqiu/Xiangling/Bennett team one of these days.
Though I believe her niche is pretty future-proof and her team options will increase with more characters.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not super concerned about her viability as I've already come up with a solid 8 person team that can get me through most stuff - I know she's supposed to be high tier based om what my more addicted GI-playing friends are saying, but I want to get Raiden purely because she's awesome! I'm not really too invested in minmaxing my way to the most efficient team.

The rotation you're suggesting sounds good to me, as you really can't go wrong with a core of Xingqiu as subDPS and Benny as your healer. Having Xiangling on top of that gives you the additional +25% atk for 2 Pyros, and Raiden works well enough as the primary!' Im personally also using a Electro/Hydro/Pyro rotation and it's working really well!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not super concerned about her viability as I've already come up with a solid 8 person team that can get me through most stuff - I know she's supposed to be high tier based om what my more addicted GI-playing friends are saying, but I want to get Raiden purely because she's awesome! I'm not really too invested in minmaxing my way to the most efficient team.

The rotation you're suggesting sounds good to me, as you really can't go wrong with a core of Xingqiu as subDPS and Benny as your healer. Having Xiangling on top of that gives you the additional +25% atk for 2 Pyros, and Raiden works well enough as the primary!' Im personally also using a Electro/Hydro/Pyro rotation and it's working really well!
Yeah that team is supposedly one of her strongest ones.
Which... isn't really surprising, because Xingqiu, Xiangling and Bennett are still some of the best 4* characters in the game, and both Xiangling and Xingqiu have heavy-hitting high-cost off-field Bursts which are basically made for Raiden.
I tried it in Abyss 12 yesterday and it is... strong. Though the High Tide/Low Tide energy bullshittery on that floor makes it really annoying, so I didn't bother too much and I'll properly test it next Abyss when that stuff is gone for good.

I'm still annoyed she doesn't work at all with Beidou, because I really wanted to make an electro-charge Raiden/Beidou/Xingqiu/??? team...

Reactions: hersheyfan

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Yeah that team is supposedly one of her strongest ones.
Which... isn't really surprising, because Xingqiu, Xiangling and Bennett are still some of the best 4* characters in the game, and both Xiangling and Xingqiu have heavy-hitting high-cost off-field Bursts which are basically made for Raiden.
I tried it in Abyss 12 yesterday and it is... strong. Though the High Tide/Low Tide energy bullshittery on that floor makes it really annoying, so I didn't bother too much and I'll properly test it next Abyss when that stuff is gone for good.

I'm still annoyed she doesn't work at all with Beidou, because I really wanted to make an electro-charge Raiden/Beidou/Xingqiu/??? team...
My second team will probably be an electro-charge team now, since Raiden's (presumable) arrival is going to demote Keqing down to Abyss team B (Keqing, Childe, Fish or Aloy, and Jean), as there's no more slots for an carry on the first squad. Team A is looking like Diluc, Raiden, Xingqiu and Benny.

Is Beidou really good? I have a couple Beidous on my old PC version save (that I've abandoned due to my inexplicably superior RNG luck on PSN), but she never really clicked with me...

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
My second team will probably be an electro-charge team now, since Raiden's (presumable) arrival is going to demote Keqing down to Abyss team B (Keqing, Childe, Fish or Aloy, and Jean), as there's no more slots for an carry on the first squad. Team A is looking like Diluc, Raiden, Xingqiu and Benny.

Is Beidou really good? I have a couple Beidous on my old PC version save (that I've abandoned due to my inexplicably superior RNG luck on PSN), but she never really clicked with me...
Beidou's Burst is really really strong especially at C2. (as long as there are 2+ enemies, it loses a lot of punch with only 1 enemy because the lightning charges need at least 2 enemies to jump between).
She's kinda AoE electro Xingqiu with the difference that Xingqiu's swords are created by the attack movement regardless of whether you hit something or not, whereas Beidou's lightning discharges require actually hitting something to trigger (and this distinction is what makes it not work with Raiden's Burst, bleh).

• Love

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Wrapping up the fishing event, is the universal bait only available if you finish it? That's a little not cool, especially when it's another use for magic crystals that're otherwise just wasting away in my inventory, or used for the parametric transformer.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Wrapping up the fishing event, is the universal bait only available if you finish it? That's a little not cool, especially when it's another use for magic crystals that're otherwise just wasting away in my inventory, or used for the parametric transformer.
Wait that special bait you get at the end is actually craftable? I didn't even realize.
Tho it really doesn't matter. The various different baits are already really cheap.

And lol, they really can't stop messing up Raiden's Burst attacks.
New Abyss Blessing:

Has Raiden in the picture triggering the effect, yet it is the same "on hit" language as Beidou's Burst. She actually does not trigger the effect, so it's consistent, but it looks like the Abyss and/or UI designer didn't get the memo. What a mess :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Wait that special bait you get at the end is actually craftable? I didn't even realize.
Tho it really doesn't matter. The various different baits are already really cheap.

And lol, they really can't stop messing up Raiden's Burst attacks.
New Abyss Blessing:

Has Raiden in the picture triggering the effect, yet it is the same "on hit" language as Beidou's Burst. She actually does not trigger the effect, so it's consistent, but it looks like the Abyss and/or UI designer didn't get the memo. What a mess :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I hadn't gotten to the end when I asked that but now that I have, it isn't craftable. It'll go away when the event ends.
I'd just like more uses for some materials.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
I decided to do a random pull on the normal banner with a spare fate I had from leveling Sucrose up, and I got my first Qiqi at like 5 pity, because god is punishing me for my hubris and my work is never finished.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018

Lost the 50/50 but got Jean. Wish I'd won it so I didn't need to think about whether I really want Kokomi or not, but this is still pretty nice. Now I'm only missing Keqing and Mona.
Maybe I'll throw another 20 pulls or so at the banner to see if I luck into her early (probably not, but still).
I'm in the nice position that I could go all the way to soft pity for Kokomi and still almost guarantee another limited character, and seeing how reruns are up next I don't really need to be in hardcore saving mode.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I rolled all my primos and only got Mona. I guess it wasn't meant to be lol.
Seems like you got lucky. For a hydro character that is, Mona doesn't heal of course... and Kokomi doesn't heal much either... seems like a pretty poor character. Even as an hybrid, Jean is far better, even Qiqi...

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I rolled all my primos and only got Mona. I guess it wasn't meant to be lol.
I won the 50:50, which is good since I really needed a hydro character, but "losing" and getting Mona would have been even better. I'd love to have Mona, but sadly I can't count on getting her basically ever.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
I also need Mona but I'm not risking pulling on that banner and getting Kokomeme instead. I'm on a hotstreak not losing my 50/50 4 times in a row. Made it easy to get C2 Raiden though.

Speaking of which, she helped me smash the abyss pretty handily.

Nice record high dmg for me there at the end, too :)

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Seems like you got lucky. For a hydro character that is, Mona doesn't heal of course... and Kokomi doesn't heal much either... seems like a pretty poor character. Even as an hybrid, Jean is far better, even Qiqi...
If I got Jean I wouldn't have minded. I wanted a second healer and already had Mona. Which brings me to...

I won the 50:50, which is good since I really needed a hydro character, but "losing" and getting Mona would have been even better. I'd love to have Mona, but sadly I can't count on getting her basically ever.
Congrats, at least you got a decent hydro applicator out of it. I would say you'll get Mona eventually but now that it's known to the desire sensor your chances aren't looking as hot lol.

I scrounged up some primos to finish the pity and got Kokomi. I do need the healing to help with consistent floor 11 performance which is partly why I went for it. I still want Jean though, her performance since release has been really good from what I can see. For now it's Barbara and Kokomi.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I've been playing the new event for the past couple of hours, and I gotta say, this is one of the most fun events Mihoyo has put up in a while!

Loads of light, low effort puzzle solving and traversal in a concentrated area and a ton of free loot. Given that the exploration is my favorite thing about GI, I'm a happy camper!
The Fish Greatsword is pretty good too :p

• Love

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Both the most generous event and the one exploiting Genshin's strengths the most. It's very good, I'd take more events refilling zones like this. It's like the natural evolution of all they've down until now, from the shooting stars fragments to the buffed encounters without the tedium and faster pacing plus optional compass if you struggle to complete it a bit early.

Also I got Kokomi today.
I love her animations, but really, that was just a choice of convenience. I am sorely lacking in healers, and she can apply hydro much better than Barbara so she'll fill up the role of Xingqiu when he's already busy. Plus some comfort with how tanky she is.
But if I whiffed on her, that wouldn't have been a big deal either. Rolling and not being bothered by who you'll get makes it much more relaxing :blobnerd:
And well, it costs me like 7 rolls, so.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
The Fish Greatsword is pretty good too :p
I'll come back for that later, haha! How does that work again, if I come back to the event lady she's going to give me a new map showing the rest of the stuff I'm missing right? I cleared out all of the icons on the map she provided but only made it to like, 75% :face-with-stuck-out-tongue:

Both the most generous event and the one exploiting Genshin's strengths the most. It's very good, I'd take more events refilling zones like this. It's like the natural evolution of all they've down until now, from the shooting stars fragments to the buffed encounters without the tedium and faster pacing plus optional compass if you struggle to complete it a bit early.

Also I got Kokomi today.
I love her animations, but really, that was just a choice of convenience. I am sorely lacking in healers, and she can apply hydro much better than Barbara so she'll fill up the role of Xingqiu when he's already busy. Plus some comfort with how tanky she is.
But if I whiffed on her, that wouldn't have been a big deal either. Rolling and not being bothered by who you'll get makes it much more relaxing :blobnerd:
And well, it costs me like 7 rolls, so.
Yeah, definitely. The pacing is so much better, and they made it super friendly to "low effort Genshin" types like me who just wanna enjoy the ride!

As for Kokomi, decided to pass myself... I've already got many healers and enough Hydro guys to get by. 40 intertwined fates in the bank and counting!

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I'll come back for that later, haha! How does that work again, if I come back to the event lady she's going to give me a new map showing the rest of the stuff I'm missing right? I cleared out all of the icons on the map she provided but only made it to like, 75% :face-with-stuck-out-tongue:

Yeah, definitely. The pacing is so much better, and they made it super friendly to "low effort Genshin" types like me who just wanna enjoy the ride!

As for Kokomi, decided to pass myself... I've already got many healers and enough Hydro guys to get by. 40 intertwined fates in the bank and counting!
need 100%, you need to grab all the chests and green float things in the area, you can ask for a clue from the lady, but that do not shows everything, I was stuck on 98% for like 2hrs, I had to look on the interactive map to find the last green float thing.

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
need 100%, you need to grab all the chests and green float things in the area, you can ask for a clue from the lady, but that do not shows everything, I was stuck on 98% for like 2hrs, I had to look on the interactive map to find the last green float thing.

The last 1-2% was such a struggle lol. I found everything by myself, but at what cost?

New web event though, watch the theater presentation to get primos:
Enter your Anniversary Theater Anniversary Web Event "An Unforgettable Journey" Now Online: Watch your own anniversary theater to obtain Primogems and other rewards

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Expected

but Zhongli will probably usurp this position eventually. The King of Convenience is too strong.
I'm the same (and some other sorta interesting stats):

Anyways this moonchase festival event is the best event Mihoyo has done. I know they haven't set the highest bar but it's leaps and bounds above any other event I've participated in so far. It's not without its downsides though, as instead of staggering the release of each portion they've gone back to 3 days in between releases.

Reactions: Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just have to echo what everyone else here said. The new event seems great so far.

Many of the previous events tried to do something outside of what really makes the core gameplay of Genshin good. This one takes what are arguably its best parts (open world exploration and combat) and wraps the event around it, while making you revisit areas most of us probably haven't been to in a while. And of course the event rewards are very nice.

Well done.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
I definitely like the new event. It kinda feels like three events all in one.

Occasionally I use tier lists to help me fingure out what to get for different characters, to save me some trouble, so I looked on a site called Game8 since they're the only place that seems to have info on Aloy...

Rosaria's a worse DPS than Xinyan? Amber's considered on-par with Xingqiu for support? Aloy's not on rock bottom where I'm pretty sure she fucking belongs?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, I agree. It's also my favorite event so far. Event story actually involving characters we care about? Check. Exploration? Check. Some neat combating without any bullshit debuffs? Check. Weird inoffensive minigame? Check. Good rewards? Check.
I definitely like the new event. It kinda feels like three events all in one.

Occasionally I use tier lists to help me fingure out what to get for different characters, to save me some trouble, so I looked on a site called Game8 since they're the only place that seems to have info on Aloy...
I've always found and continue to find tier-lists in this game very weird. Sure there's some nebulous consens on what characters are very good, but a characters usefulness is dependent on sooo many factors in this game, that trying to distill it all into a neatly organized list seems like a fools errand.

Unrelated, but seems like we're getting some more anniversary rewards as Mihoyo went into panic mode due to a large(?) amount of the playerbase being pissed at the anniversary rewards :grimacing-face:
Asia apparently got a mail with 400 primos and the orchestra glider (part 1 of 4). That glider is something they wanted to sell in a bundle with some other stuff for 30$ (lol) so this is definitely unplanned damage control.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I only started playing a couple weeks ago and I only play a little bit per day, but is the anniversary event something anyone can do or is it mostly high-level?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I only started playing a couple weeks ago and I only play a little bit per day, but is the anniversary event something anyone can do or is it mostly high-level?
There is no real anniversary event, it's only some daily login rewards and things sent per mail (and the couple of webevents).
The event we've been talking about is the Moonchase Festival, which is just the regular event running right now. You need to be AR 28 and have finished the Liyue story to take part.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
There is no real anniversary event, it's only some daily login rewards and things sent per mail (and the couple of webevents).
The event we've been talking about is the Moonchase Festival, which is just the regular event running right now. You need to be AR 28 and have finished the Liyue story to take part.
Ohhh OK. Yea I'm not even close to that yet :p Thanks!

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
I'm glad I opted to level up Xinyan! 'Bout time she showed up... Like, at all.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
After a year of consuming this game indirectly through highly lewd fanart, i've finally decided to start playing.
At adventure Rank level 28 already, 40% of the first two regions explored, more than halfway done with main story quest apparently, and already having two 5 Star chars (Mona and Keqing) and -80$ in my bank account.

Feels like a normal, offline singleplayer RPG, just with co-op modes and Gacha/MMO like content delivery plans.

A gacha game i actually like playing.
Dangerous combination.