Community MetaRPG | Hurting. Longing. Dancing to disco music.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I think after Outer Wilds I try to finish Dragon Age: Awakening. I am more than half way through it but it keeps crashing moments into the game in the Blackmarsh so I can’t progress. But I saw few workarounds recently so I will try them.
Don't really care about the game since it was just alright but I want to get this off my mind. Also I want to play Dragon Age 2 which despite the general reception to it its core idea seems incredibly strong. And I want to see that

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
What's the upscaler box you are using there if you don't mind me asking?
It's a OSSC.

I believe it's still one of the best ways to scale analog-out consoles, though I've noticed some competitors coming out. There is a OSSC Pro in development too.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I think after Outer Wilds I try to finish Dragon Age: Awakening. I am more than half way through it but it keeps crashing moments into the game in the Blackmarsh so I can’t progress. But I saw few workarounds recently so I will try them.
Don't really care about the game since it was just alright but I want to get this off my mind. Also I want to play Dragon Age 2 which despite the general reception to it its core idea seems incredibly strong. And I want to see that
Guess I can say that plan goodbye since the game now crashes even before loading in. Guess after my plan of reducing the number of installed games by finishing the shorter ones I will jump straight into DA2 without importing a save

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
That's a shame, do you miss much by not importing a save or is it just dialog and quest choices from DA1 are mentioned etc?

Reactions: BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
That's a shame, do you miss much by not importing a save or is it just dialog and quest choices from DA1 are mentioned etc?
I don't think one misses much when importing. Maybe a character or dialogue options here and there. I think for Inquisition there is also an official online tool that allows you to reconstruct a save file for your decisions since you couldn't import on consoles when that relased. I might be able to import just my DA:O files without the Awakening part. It's no big deal for me. Just would've been nice to have my save file carry over.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yup, i get that. I spent hours fiddling about with tools and saves to get my ME1 save into ME2 along with as close of a character match as possible and then had to use a save editor to set the right flags in the save for the options i chose during my ME1 playthrough as they aren't saved or imported properly.

Glad i did it though as i have continuity from Me1 - ME3 in my save games now. Although i have no idea where my save games are stored tbh. It's been a long while since i played OGME Series.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Yup, i get that. I spent hours fiddling about with tools and saves to get my ME1 save into ME2 along with as close of a character match as possible and then had to use a save editor to set the right flags in the save for the options i chose during my ME1 playthrough as they aren't saved or imported properly.

Glad i did it though as i have continuity from Me1 - ME3 in my save games now. Although i have no idea where my save games are stored tbh. It's been a long while since i played OGME Series.
Yeah, the main part of why I look fondly back on my time with Mass Effect as a whole despite my opinion on the games changing over time is me being able to import my Shepard all the way through to the end. Which made it a bummer that it didn't work fully for The Witcher 3 for me. Though at least there it got the most important thing: the neck tattoo

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm resuming my Wasteland 2 play-through, this is a good time for an important highlight !

How to play RPGs the Li Kao's way

Reason - Damn it's beginning to sting, so many robots, I should use an energy weapon.
Me - Stop that nonsense, I have no skill points !
Reason - Look at characters, averaging 15-20 unallocated skill points.
Me - See !

There is also the good old classic :
Reason - I should heal this character !
Me - Or I should risk it and wait for him to gain a level and auto-heal.
Reason - ...

I don't need any hard difficulty :neutral-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I finished Cyberpunk 2077 recently, so while I'm freezing to death, I suppose I'll write down some of my thoughts.

I'll preface by stating that my hardware was able to deliver a great technical experience. Bugs encountered were relatively minor -- pedestrians and vehicles appearing or disappearing in-view, stuck UI elements requiring a reload, and some items missing data. That said, they still played a role in my perception of the world that I'll elaborate on later.

Night City is beautiful. It's certainly one of the best-looking games out there right now. The scale and density of the city are used to great effect. Ads highlight every corner of the city. Even the mountains of city waste and the decrepit Badlands are beautiful in their own way. It's one of those games where everywhere you go is a I need to take a screenshot moment. This was my first experience with ray-tracing, and it looks great.

If you have read any of my thoughts on open-world RPGs such as Morrowind, Gothic, or recently Kingdom Come: Deliverance you'll know how much I value design that reinforces a living world. Whether it's quest design that make you feel like you can try anything that makes sense (typically in addition to no quest markers), simulation-driven systems that allow you to interact with the world in logical but perhaps unexpected ways, or writing that goes above and beyond surface detail that really rewards scrutiny. In this regard Cyberpunk 2077 is a disappointment. Perhaps not more so than most open-world AAA titles, but I don't play many of these. The systems concerning pedestrian behavior, vehicle traffic, and police response are very rudimentary. This is also where the bugs come into the experience. Seeing pedestrians and vehicles seemingly appear or disappear does no favors to maintaining the illusion of the world. There is no form of logical in-world fast travel. It looks like there may have been a train rail system at one time, but it was cut to a terminal that lets click on other map points. The food vendors are largely pointless, and do not even offer the food they recommend you to order. Despite being able to buy some BDs, you can't use them. There aren't any meaningful drugs to buy. Your options for prostitution are incredibly limited, despite what is suggested. There are some surprise options in quests, but they're rare. And perhaps even more so due to player expectations, Saving Goro for example. The setting is inviting me to interact with it further, but doesn't hold up its end up the bargain, and thus breaks the illusion.

A minor detail, but I really appreciate the length to which the game lets you hold onto your memory of Jackie. His ofrenda, the conversations with Mama Welles and Misty, ordering his drink at the Afterlife, and other tidbits. I really liked Jackie. There was a moment after his death that I thought to call him. To my surprise the game reacted. I thought it was really touching.

Another positive note is the verticality of the environments. This does a lot to make the general exploration enjoyable, in addition to giving you a few different entrances and paths for quests. This really ramps up when you get certain leg cyberware.

Generally I enjoyed the variety of cyberpunk themes explored, but I felt a little at odds with how the game wants you to interact with the police. I'd have preferred some appropriate alternatives here.

If there is something that I really want to highlight it's Johnny Silverhand. I think they nailed it. Johnny is a unique persistent companion. We're pretty used to having someone in our ear, but this is an example where the companion can steal the scene with nothing more than a smirk or how he interacts with the environment. Keanu's performance here is excellent. From an asshole to a friend, your relationship with Johnny comes a long way. He's also among some of the best writing the game has to offer. I stumbled into it by accident, but I'm really glad my ending was (Don't Fear) The Reaper. Just me and Johnny in one final suicide mission taking on fucking Arasaka!

I enjoyed my time with the game, but there is a persistent feeling that it's unfinished -- the glue to make it a cohesive whole. To really elevate it it needs to address more than just the technical problems.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Let it hereby be known that Fable, that is the first Fable game, sucks. As an expert in the field and after over 5 hours of research I have come to this conclusion. Quests are boring, the combat system is bad, its humor falls flat most of the time because it has jokes of a certain kind and is not interested of mixing that up. Then there is a story which is disjointed. Go there, help these no names, then go there because the person that rescued you as a child wants to meet you. All combined with a chosen one story line.

There are some cool things in it. The basic gameplay loop of going through the levels, taking the extra mile to find an extra chest will never be not satisfying. The art style is charming to a degree. There are some systems like buying houses and such that area bit underbaked but I don't know about the development. And the successors build on that so I don't want to give it too much shit about that. Being first go at that and all that.

I just feel tricked by people saying "This is the best one!" over the years. I remember enjoying my time with 2 and 3 so much more even if the latter was much more of an action-adventure than a RPG at that point. Feels like a Kingdom Hearts 1 situation where you play it as a child/teen and it is the best game ever. Go back to it a couple of years later and you see how crappy it really was.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I want to reiterate that Fable is terrible. But also great... kinda? I did a boss battle which had me lockpick a door to continue because my ingame clock was at night and because of that this door was supposed to be locked.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I want to reiterate that Fable is terrible. But also great... kinda? I did a boss battle which had me lockpick a door to continue because my ingame clock was at night and because of that this door was supposed to be locked.
I remember Lost chapters being really really flawed but I liked it well enough and saw potential. I loved Fable 2, had a great time but also just wasn't reaching where it should. Then Fable 3 came and shit the bed :poop: . Can't wait to see Playgrounds reboot.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and I kind of want to pick up Bravely Default 2. Even though I am still playing Dragon Quest IX for my job system and JRPG fix. And there are still Octopath Traveller and Xenoblade Chronicles DE waiting for me on my Switch.

I remember Lost chapters being really really flawed but I liked it well enough and saw potential. I loved Fable 2, had a great time but also just wasn't reaching where it should. Then Fable 3 came and shit the bed :poop: . Can't wait to see Playgrounds reboot.
I remember enjoying my time with Fable 3 and don't get the hate it gets. The magic system was fun and jacking up the rent for rich people while giving the poor free housing was cool. I am interested in whatever Playgrounds reboot will turn out to though I think they maybe should find another tone than fantasy comedy or maybe don't lean into it as much.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I know there is a separate MMO thread, but what I am about to talk about feels more conducive to here.

I've been playing an Ultima Online mod called Rags and Riches (formerly UOOdyssey), where someone created custom content for the game, as well as the ability to host your own server. This allows you to turn it into a single-player/co-op game and I have thoroughly been enjoying this. Many of the aspects I love are still there like dungeon crawling and exploration. The exploration is a highlight. While I do enjoy MMOs, playing like this allows you to actually to make progression in small amounts of time as many things can be modified. Farming non-stop in EQ was fun back in my youth, but it is amazing to have this option now. I have played on P1999 and enjoyed my time there, but once you get towards level cap and enter raids, is when I lose interest. That part of the community is still rather hardcore and takes a great amount of dedication. Not to mention just being reliant on other players in what are rather niche communities can be make finding groups tiresome.

Small addition too for any Bard's Tale fans here, but there is a hidden area somewhere based on the original Bard's Tale trilogy in the UO mod.

Piggybacking off this UO mod, I have discovered this to be possible for EQ as well, with some nice existing servers (or make your own server) where you can scale a lot of the content down and make it singleplayer/duo/etc. I'm probably going to do this as I would love to go through these old areas and not be beholden to multi-boxing or other players.

So ya, seeing it possible to host your own servers for these older MMOs is awesome and probably going to start an EQ one soon. :heroblob:

Depending on how well it may scale, etc. other people here would be welcome to join.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I posted this in Era and wanted to share here too.

So I'm back to SWTOR somehow, and now with a new Jedi Guardian character which story I haven't finished yet. Naturally, the first thing I notice is the graphics. While most of the textures look rough, the game is surprisingly holding up well visually, mostly thanks to the superb artstyle and lighting. They have this rtx like effects which basically reflect the light source and its color to its surrounding. Looks great in darker areas like space ships and caves, as well as from the lightsabers emitting the different colors. Sometimes, I need to remind myself that this is a game that came out in 2011.

Anyway, coming back to SWTOR also made me realize how massive the game is, not only from the general polish and its AAA-ness, but also the amount of content it has. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I keep getting amazed by how massive and realized the worlds and locations are. The story brings you to numerous planets, from Tython, Taris, Voss, and many others. I remember an early interview pre-release with the former lead, James Ohlen:
"This is a HUGE game. Just to give you an idea how huge this game is, we were taking a loot at it, and it has more story content than every single other BioWare game that's come before put together. That would mean Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights II, Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Mass Effect--and all the expansions."

Virtually every quest from main to side ones are voiced and directed in cutscenes. While the side quests are not directly tied to the storyline, they will give you important decisions to make, like deciding what to do with an NPC, or even deciding the fate of a settlement. These little things adds to the player agency and helps the role playing element a lot.

While you're only given 3 choices via the dialogue wheel most of the time, they actually don't always play the same. For example, some choices will lead to companion affection, some other will give you Light/Dark Side points, some others are neutral. Some choices have one Light Side alignment, neutral, and 1 Dark Side alignment, while some others have 2 Light/Dark Side alignment and one neutral choice, and so on. At first, you might think that this will restrict players' decision since they're already tied to a certain side, but not really. It's quite easy to maintain your alignment even if you want to choose the opposite alignment choice in dialogues. You can also turn off the alignment hints from the dialogue, so you can roleplay more freely if you so desire. Ultimately, the game gives you freedom on how you want to roleplay, because sometimes you may have to make a hard decision.

Some of the choices do have long lasting effects too, from additional points to Light/Dark Side, to future encounter with the NPCs, or how the NPCs and/or your companions remember your choices. A little example is this quest on Nar Shaddaa, a former operative who's in prison uses you to engineer an escape. You can either let him go or rat him out to Intelligence. If you let him go, he starts sending you email with the dirt he has on various people, including your superiors and your companion. It's just background but some of it is a fun read. Here's another example of how the choices affect things:

1. Come back, and we’ll talk – Koth is disappointed, +50 LS points
  2. Good riddance – Koth remember your indifference – +50 DS points
  3. You’re a dead man – Koth remembers your cruelty, +100 DS points

What really blows my mind is that SWTOR is actually a MMORPG. Most modern single player RPGs aren't even close to this in term of narrative depths and player agency. It's a proper Star Wars RPG that everyone, especially fans, should play.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I finally started up again on the Wizardry 7 playthrough that I've been meaning to get to for years. I know more about the skill system than I did last time I attempted it, so I scrapped my previous party and started over from scratch.

And it starts like all good fantasy games do, by following a robot onto a spaceship:

My party lands, takes 3 steps, and gets in their first battle:

It's a rousing success since the bard starts out by playing their lute and puts all enemies to sleep. It's an easy victory without taking any damage.

However the second battle isn't quite so fortunate:

The whole party is wiped out without taking down a single ratboy. Note to self: do not go Northeast from the starting area.

At least I followed the cardinal rule of old CRPGs: Always Be Saving. So I reload after the first battle and head Southeast instead.

Onward to victory! (but probably a lot more death)

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Ahh, Wizardry, where any random encounter is possible death.

I had started a 6 playthrough with the intention of going through 6-7-8 with the same party which I've never done before, but I had stopped once getting to the mountains and then just went straight to 8. One day :blobnerd:

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
That's quite the party you've got there. Did you import from VI?
Nah, I tried six but I never got into it, it's maybe just a step too old-feeling compared to 7. The same wall tiles for every environment don't help with that.

I do hope to eventually carry this party over into 8 though.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Anyone heard of these retranslation mods for Final Fantasy VII (PSX version)

Romhacking.net shows these two rom translations

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I love much of what I've played of Wizardry 8 which also starts with crash landed space ship, but I wish I could get some overhaul mod that somehow limits and yet balances encounters to like, 10 enemies max or something, it's painful when you end up against multiple groups of enemies and have to wait for all of them to do their move and also have some distant group of enemies that isn't even aware your battle is going on have to take its move turns patrolling or whatever. I mean, it's awesome how everything is simulated and has potential consequences by how you play whether in or out of combat but it's a bit too slow to move your party of 6, maybe with a couple guest party member NPCs for a total of 8, and so many enemies on top. I think I recall even random nearby npcs in towns also had to take turns to just move about their business as you battled enemies regardless of their affiliation too.

Last edited:

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I love much of what I've played of Wizardry 8 which also starts with crash landed space ship, but I wish I could get some overhaul mod that somehow limits and yet balances encounters to like, 10 enemies max or something, it's painful when you end up against multiple groups of enemies and have to wait for all of them to do their move and also have some distant group of enemies that isn't even aware your battle is going on have to take its move turns patrolling or whatever. I mean, it's awesome how everything is simulated and has potential consequences by how you play whether in or out of combat but it's a bit too slow to move your party of 6, maybe with a couple guest party member NPCs for a total of 8, and so many enemies on top. I think I recall even random nearby npcs in towns also had to take turns to just move about their business as you battled enemies regardless of their affiliation too.
Yea. When I last played, I used the wiz8fast mod because there are some massive encounters late in the game. Speedhacking with CE probably works decently well as an alternative.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sounds good with the spawn stuff, not sure about the economy/class changes, but I guess I should just trust the dev, probably knows the game more than me.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
There's also another mod there that's just combat speed increases, if you want to leave everything else the same.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
By the way, this releases soon.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Looking neat! Will it be localized? I'm unsure given the footage.
It will. Releasing on Steam / Switch with English. Only downside is that if we go by the Switch pre-order price, it's a little spiky. 49$ or something. Granted, that's two DRPG worth of content, but still.
And for the sake of exhaustivity, Strangers if a new version of an 'older' DRPG, so if the new version isn't adding much (I have no idea), you might be better off simply buying it.

Reactions: Swenhir

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
So instead of starting Fallout 2 I did the next best thing and started Dragon Age 2.

And I enjoy it so far. The start is a bit slow doing a ton of odd jobs to get enough money to push the main story forward. Playing as a mage and it takes its time to get enough spells to be slinging spells constantly. But regular attacks sound nice at least.

Now I hope I get a new party member soon so I can kick Carver out of the party asap. That guy is such a prick

Reactions: Swenhir and Pommes

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I also just started my replay of Dragon Age II thanks to EA Play. The game still holds up quite well visually, and I enhance it further with Reshade. Gotta roll with a joker Hawke this time around.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018

We have made it to the town of Skara Brae (from Bard's Tale) in UO Ruins and Riches :blobnerd:

So far, it is a pretty fun recreation of the first Bard's Tale game. The dungeons are fairly accurate in terms of progression based on my old-man memory. We just completed Harkyn's Castle. It's also fun when the WoW models pop up:

Is that you Ignis?

I recommend Bard's Tale 1 and 3 to anyone in here, not 2. 2 will make a man lose their mind :blobpanburn:

This map plays a role in my madness. Stop with the spinner traps (the X's on the map)!

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
15 hours in and I think my main issue with Dragon Age 2 so far is the encounter design. Every fight has three or more waves which fucks up your positioning everytime because they drop out of nowhere and out of all directions. Really not great. My other nitpick is using the same unaltered PNGs for maps for the dungeons. Don't have a problem with them reusing dungeons.

And my main issues with the game feel like a result of the shortened dev time. I quite enjoy the game for what it is despite its faults. It's also warming me up more to RTwP. Might pick up Inquisition in the next sales if my 2070 Super ever comes back to me.

Otherwise I am playing this as a mage after being either tank or rogue with my main character. Thought sometime last year to change it up a little bit. But now I am thinking that I never play the ranger types in RPGs with either my main character nor the party. Or at least not that I can think of. So what would be a good cRPG where I could go with bow and arrow with my main character? Was thinking about it when I maybe give Pillars of Eternity another try I might try it there.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Despite of having played Divinity OS 2 Im stil having a god time with OS EE now. Only worry is that I suddenly get's stuck with now knowing what to do to progress the story as the quest journal is just a log not telling me that much.

I tried OS back in 2016 according to the last save file and only played 1 hour because I got stuck with the story.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've played Bravely Default 2 for about 18 hours and just hit the end of chapter 2. It's pretty typical RPG fare, but I'm a sucker for games with job systems so I'm finding enough motivation to continue. If you do play the game, I would highly recommend spending an hour or so grinding the Freelancer class to max rank so you can get an ability that increases the job points gained by 70%. Just look up a guide to help grind JP in the early game. I will say the performance is terrible though. The Switch Pro needs to come out already.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Dragon Age 2 might have me soften up on RTwP systems. I still think it is a worse option than turnbased or actionbased combat but at least now I get it a bit better. Despite the camera not having an overhead view I find it much more readable here than even in Origins.

With my 2070 Super out of order for god knows how long I am eyeing more older cRPGs now, too. My initial choice was playing Fallout 2 before I decided to start Dragon Age 2. Might actually do that after I play a palate cleanser for RPGs once I am done with DA2.

Reactions: Swenhir and Stevey

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finally pushed myself to start Fallout 2. Don't know how to feel about them decision to keep the same... suboptimal UI of FO1. Can live with most of the other quirks but it was the worst part about FO1 and it continues here. Makes me almost just want to put it to easy and run through it with a guide.

• Comfy
Reactions: Ibuki and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Been getting into AtomRPG after a few teething issues. I noticed its had controller support added so decided to fire it up. Started a game and it was playing fine with the controller but decided to re-spec after about an hour so i quit out but then my controller just wasn't being recognised. Lots of re-starts and swearing. Its weird. Sometimes it'll register a button but then nothing. Eventually got it to work in bigpitcture mode and re-started a game and its going good.

Made a bit of progress after a tough start, completed some quests in the first town so i actually have some stuff. I quite like it but its a little rough round the edges. Im thinking of getting Wasteland 3.

FunnyJay