Community MetaRPG | Hurting. Longing. Dancing to disco music.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So, I started playing Might & Magic: Book One over the weekend...

Everything in this post is great !
Great of you for having the bravery to face some old school M&M. Great mapping software ! Just great !

Ooh, just imagine running that type of game in a dual monitor setup with Grid Cartographer :blobdrool:

• Love
Reactions: Arulan

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Seeing the Enderal release makes me wonder about buying the "Skyrim Whatever" version i need as i only have vanilla version.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'll keep an eye out for Skyrim SE deals as i'd want it just for Enderal really.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Don't know if I already asked the question but I am too lazy to search so I'll just aks. With the Yakuza games in the Dragon Engine I always like going into first person mode and walk through the locations. Let's me appreciate the density and details much more. Also always reminds about first person dungeon-crawlers despite never having played one (but I am planning to change it this year...)

Is there a dungeon crawler that is set in a modern city? Or are the all exclusively fantasy with a bit of sci-fi here and there?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Is there a dungeon crawler that is set in a modern city? Or are the all exclusively fantasy with a bit of sci-fi here and there?
Some of Experience stuff is set in modern day/close future Japan.
Also Shin Megami Tensei for the first 20 minutes, before Tokyo is either nuked or thrown into demon's dimension

Reactions: BlueOdin

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Don't know if I already asked the question but I am too lazy to search so I'll just aks. With the Yakuza games in the Dragon Engine I always like going into first person mode and walk through the locations. Let's me appreciate the density and details much more. Also always reminds about first person dungeon-crawlers despite never having played one (but I am planning to change it this year...)

Cyberpunk. So might not be exactly what you are asking for...

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
15 hours in and I think my main issue with Dragon Age 2 so far is the encounter design. Every fight has three or more waves which fucks up your positioning everytime because they drop out of nowhere and out of all directions. Really not great. My other nitpick is using the same unaltered PNGs for maps for the dungeons. Don't have a problem with them reusing dungeons.

And my main issues with the game feel like a result of the shortened dev time. I quite enjoy the game for what it is despite its faults. It's also warming me up more to RTwP. Might pick up Inquisition in the next sales if my 2070 Super ever comes back to me.

Otherwise I am playing this as a mage after being either tank or rogue with my main character. Thought sometime last year to change it up a little bit. But now I am thinking that I never play the ranger types in RPGs with either my main character nor the party. Or at least not that I can think of. So what would be a good cRPG where I could go with bow and arrow with my main character? Was thinking about it when I maybe give Pillars of Eternity another try I might try it there.
Yeah, I tried replaying Dragon Age 2 last month and I just couldn't push myself through the combat. I think I spent more time modding the game with texture packs and QoL changes, as well as tinkering with Reshade than playing the game itself.

I'll keep an eye out for Skyrim SE deals as i'd want it just for Enderal really.
Skyrim SE is worth it even without Enderal. It makes modding far more stable while keeping the performance intact.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Consider giving Zanki Zero a look. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo if it's still fits your criteria.

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

I've started to venture outside of Sorpigal in an attempt to find Eriquin on my own. I know you can pay a gem to the Leprechaun to get there. Some of these encounters can be pretty tough, even for the level 3 party I have now. Once I found the road I started to make some distance. I found sign posts alerting me of other nearby towns, but nothing on Eriquin so far.

The combat is a lot better than I remember. Between the system that determine which of your party and enemies are in melee range, the variety of spells, and challenging encounters, the tactics of it all is pretty enjoyable. Maybe even more so than some of the later entries? I'll have to see when I have them fresh in memory.

I've gone back and forth on some of my mapping standards. I'm trying to keep it similar to what I'd draw on paper, but some of the niceties of Grid Cartographer (descriptive icons, ease of coloring) make it hard to resist sprucing it up a little. As you can see I traveled down a few roads...

If a blobber asks you if you want to drink from a fountain, the answer is yes.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I might have to get Grid Cartographer downloaded as i plan on diving into my DRPG collection sometime soon once i've cleared some games from my library that i'm halfway through. I went on a buying spree last year in sales and i now have about 28 of the things! Good times.

Reactions: Pommes

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Aha! It was in here! Anyway, Conglomerate 451 is £3.61 on Fanatical at the moment.

I'll tag in BlueOdin in case they're still looking.

Also, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is on a deal for the next day and a bit at humble.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Aha! It was in here! Anyway, Conglomerate 451 is £3.61 on Fanatical at the moment.

I'll tag in BlueOdin in case they're still looking.

Also, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is on a deal for the next day and a bit at humble.
Thanks! I am only kind of looking and mostly out of academic interest. But the thing I am more interested in would be a more contemporary setting. But thanks for thinkg about me :sendlove:

_

Kind of want to go back to Fallout 2 but I don't know when. Still in the middle of Yakuza 6, Outriders interests me, Saga Frontier Remastered is coming up and I also should continue Nioh 2.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

Anyone checking it out in Early Access? I loved The Age of Decadence (Dungeon Rats was enjoyable too), butI think I'm going to wait until its finished.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for Arulan invitation. :cat-heart-blob:

I have been playing the Bard's Tale Trilogy lately. As printing out some pre-made maps from online resources seems rather pointless for a dungeon crawler, I decided to plot them out through excel, and the whole process is very fun. After finishing the whole layout I cross-checked with maps made by others to find those I missed (hence the ? marks from the pic). Going to return to the dungeon and fill out the missing part later.

I have always been a JRPG person and honestly don't remember my last classic WRPG other than Fallout and Mass Effect. Maybe Gothic 2? I meant to play some classic WRPGs but many often they seem far too daunting to jump in. Hopefully I will have the patience to play through the Bard's Tale. So far I am enjoying it a lot.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Glad to see someone else in here playing the Bard's Tale Trilogy :blobnerd:

I look forward to your maps in BT2 :evilblob:
Yay, I was lucky enough to get BTIV from the Giveaway thread last Christmas, which comes with BT Trilogy. Hopefully I can go through the whole Inxile catalog down the road!

• Comfy
Reactions: Routa

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Yay, I was lucky enough to get BTIV from the Giveaway thread last Christmas, which comes with BT Trilogy. Hopefully I can go through the whole Inxile catalog down the road!
I should say, I don't like Bard's Tale 2 that much. I think it goes overboard with a lot of it's traps and puzzles which resulted in a ton of frustration for me.

1 and 3 are great though! :blobnerd:

I have yet to play 4.

• Toucan
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I should say, I don't like Bard's Tale 2 that much. I think it goes overboard with a lot of it's traps and puzzles which resulted in a ton of frustration for me.
Lol, I know this will happen sooner or later! 🤣

OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Welcome to the thread! Jim_Cacher

It always makes me happy to see someone go back to some of these classic RPGs and embrace the mapping. I hope you're enjoying it.

What kind of party composition did you go with?

• Love
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Welcome to the thread! Jim_Cacher

It always makes me happy to see someone go back to some of these classic RPGs and embrace the mapping. I hope you're enjoying it.

What kind of party composition did you go with?
Honestly I did not do any research on how to get the best party. I read the whole manual at the beginning and create these six party members:
Paladin (Human), Bard (Elf), Hunter (Half-Orc), Rogue (Hobbit)
Conjurer (Gnome) and Magician (Gnome)
Leave a slot open for summon.

Doing okay so far. I am still learning the spells as there are quite a lot of them.

Reactions: Arulan
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I didn't have a lot of time to play this past week, but some updates on my Might & Magic playthrough:

I found the Merchants Pass while exploring some of the wilderness in C1. I'd heard about it in a tavern before, and it looks like it's necessary to get into the inner-castles. Before the guard would send me away if I tried to enter.

A quest from Lord Hacker?! How could I refuse? :heroblob:

Oh... :disapproval-blob:

I found the Wizard Telgoran as well, and followed his clues to find the two brothers.

Portsmith

Algary

I pieced together their clues to find the Ruby Whistle, and the location of a stronghold. I think I'll continue exploring Varn a little before I go there though.

I fought these Barbarians earlier, and it resulted in an alignment shift. My party is majority Evil now. :smiling-face-with-horns:

Honestly I did not do any research on how to get the best party. I read the whole manual at the beginning and create these six party members:
Paladin (Human), Bard (Elf), Hunter (Half-Orc), Rogue (Hobbit)
Conjurer (Gnome) and Magician (Gnome)
Leave a slot open for summon.

Doing okay so far. I am still learning the spells as there are quite a lot of them.
I just wanted to make sure you had a Bard. If I recall correctly they're pretty essential for parts of the game.

Gnomes!

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Dropped Saga Frontier Remastered for the time being because I was not feeling it. Intend to go back and at least finish my Emilia playthrough but I don’t know when. I liked it but never felt safe or good doing things without a guide. But I liked a lot of things about the game so it isn’t dropped forever. Also rekindled my interest in Scarlet Grace.

So I was wondering what to play instead. My choices were either continuing Fallout 2 or finally checking out Enderal. Since the former would be the correct choice to make I finally started Enderal. Haven’t played much of it because this game talks a lot.
I thought Saga Frontier could’ve maybe used a bit more textboxes here and there but I didn’t appreciate the brevity enough it seems. Would take it any day.
Otherwise my first impression of Enderal was... not great tbh. Other than it taking forever until I could finally move around through the tutorial area the initial scene was pretty dark in not a good way? A bit too edgy for me. Though maybe it was also because I was playing in English at first. There was one dialogue which made me switch to German. The VA performances sound much better from what I've heard so far. Gave me some Gothic feelings.
Another thing I didn’t like was the character creator. Felt like it was missing some „fun“ options especially in the hair color department. But I don’t know how much this is limited by Skyrims character creator which I don’t remember much anymore.

Looking forward to playing more though. Kind of in the mood for an open world RPG. Planning to play as an elementalist mage because at the end of the day I like shooting fire from my hands.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
6 hours in and I am unsure on where I will fall with Enderal: Forgotten Stories, So far the only roadblock for my character was inventory limit. Magic seems pretty good for dealing fast with tough enemies. Also like the amount of foliage in this game. Like, holy shit I am drowning in grass and flowers. Lost slain enemies several types in fields now because foliage is just so thick. Love it.

Otherwise I am unsure about character progression. It has a system similar to Gothic but not that satisfyingly balanced sadly. Never had to leave somewhere and come back later when I would be stronger. Wonder how much they are held back due to the Skyrim foundation. Exploration hasn't felt that rewarding yet either. Found a few more out of my way locations and came out with the same gear I went in and didn't find anything interesting other than stuff I already had. Which led to me not looking as thoroughly now.

There is still some stuff to do like looking into the crafting but I haven't really needed it yet. All in all I feel kind of mixed on it tbh. With all the praise it got I expected maybe too much.

Reactions: MegaApple
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Currently playing Shadowrun Returns, and there's more diversity with the NPCs in just two hours than entire AAA games these days.

I approve.
First time playing any of the Shadowrun trilogy?

I hope to see Harebrained Schemes return to Shadowrun. I really enjoyed them.

Despite enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 overall, the recent Shadowrun RPGs more often succeeded at putting me in the cyberpunk mood I was looking for, and a lot of that from just the writing.

• This!
Reactions: Pommes and Valdien

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I just got Blue Reflection from the current Koei Tecmo sale and launched it to have a quick look. Man, playing the Bard's Tale and Blue Reflection at the same time is weird. Such polar difference between the two.
Currently playing Shadowrun Returns, and there's more diversity with the NPCs in just two hours than entire AAA games these days.

I approve.
I played it a few years ago. It's short but pretty enjoyable. Still need to play the second and third one.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto

I approve.
Glad you're enjoying it. I'm a big fan of the newer Shadowrun games. And if you think Shadowrun Returns is good, then mate, it only gets better with Dragonfall and Hong Kong! HK really nailed that depressive Cyberpunk atmosphere. And the OST for all three games are amazing.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Reached chapter 4 of Blue Reflection. To be frank, this game is a looker (character models looks great) but also a bit boring. Probably due to what happening in real life, I have difficulty connecting with these high school young lady's concerns and worries of their daily life. I don't particularly enjoy the characters so far as well.

Combat-wise, I love traditional turn-based RPG. The combat is rather basic but I have fun thinking about the options available on building up the characters. And the highest difficulty does not feel too hard.

The start of chapter 4 is pretty intriguing. Hopefully the story will pick up steam soon.

• Comfy
Reactions: Li Kao and Kvik

FunnyJay