Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
In what order should I play these 4 games with my remaining EA Play time? They are all 70-80 range on critic reviews, so none really truly stand out above others in that sense.

Fe
Unravel
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude

I have about a week left and I know they are all short games, so in the end I might end up playing through them all. But if I happen to be busy and only have time for couple of them, I'd like some opinions. Thanks! :blobmorning2:
I didn't really like Fe and dropped it midway, so I'd probably put that lower on the list. But I haven't played any of the others, so I have no real basis for a comparison. :grimacing-face:

Reactions: Parsnip

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
In what order should I play these 4 games with my remaining EA Play time? They are all 70-80 range on critic reviews, so none really truly stand out above others in that sense.

Fe
Unravel
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude

I have about a week left and I know they are all short games, so in the end I might end up playing through them all. But if I happen to be busy and only have time for couple of them, I'd like some opinions. Thanks! :blobmorning2:
I’ve only played Unravel
Lovely art style but otherwise very standard fare expected for a “Limbo-like”

I’’d guess Unravel 2 would be similar 🤷‍♂️

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Thoryes.gif. The spite I feel for this company is bottomless. Deus Ex, N:A, the old FF pricing at outrageous prices. I hate consolidation but out of all the companies it could happen to, this one I won't mourn. They have horribly mishandled and mismanaged so many things that I can't deny the schadenfreude I feel at this possibility.

Also, some Homeworld 3 footage!

Not a fan of the shaking muzzle but other than that, I dig the lighting and the effect of the round punching through. BBI knows their stuff, as expected.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
A bit more info about Saga Frontier Remastered. First impression: this port is kind of scuffed.

The game is using Unity engine. As I gathered, the maximum resolution settings is 1080p. Apart from resolution and screen mode (windowed/borderless/fullscreen), the only other PC features available is the key/controller remap.

The game ignores Unity command-line flags --screen-width and --screen-height, but luckily with SpecialK, we can force the game to scale the window resolution to our native resolution. This is not to be confused with the internal rendering resolution, however.

Lastly, the game seems to ignore G-sync with borderless window mode. Although this may be an issue with Unity engine since I had similar trouble with Battletech (which also runs on Unity) in the past.

Hmm, G-sync works for me in borderless window mode. Do you have Fullscreen optimization disabled or is G-sync set to only Fullscreen in the Nvidia control panel? You can also try using SpecialK's Flip-mode to see if it activates g-sync. It should.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Wasn't it Capcom who was working on a game whose aesthetic is reminiscent of Death Stranding ?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Are you talking about Pragmata? :p
Exactly. I saw a video thumbnail on the eurogamer article about the Capcom show from yesterday that reminded me of it. But as much as I skimmed the article it didn't talk about the game, which left me all sort of puzzled. Great coverage, eurogamer !

Edit
Checked and there is at least no mention of the game title. It's only logical for me to conclude that META > eurogamer :shrugblob:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Do you have Fullscreen optimization disabled or is G-sync set to only Fullscreen in the Nvidia control panel?
That was it. I'm certain I always had it enabled since I always used borderless window mode. Perhaps the setting reverted after a recent driver update. Thanks~! :flare_shades:

... why though.
Squeenix's wisdom bows to no one. Meanwhile, SaGa Scarlet Grace has support for DSR resolutions (although they never fix the opening intro issue).

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, G-sync works for me in borderless window mode. Do you have Fullscreen optimization disabled or is G-sync set to only Fullscreen in the Nvidia control panel?
How do I check if I'm good ?
At first glance I can opt for full screen or borderless but not both ?

Note : High chance that I'm spouting nonsense, I'm not on point with GSync.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
How do I check if I'm good ?
At first glance I can opt for full screen or borderless but not both ?

Note : High chance that I'm spouting nonsense, I'm not on point with GSync.
Weird, I have the option for both modes

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
About Capcom exclusive VR mode : I swear some companies are run like brothels, there is no other explanation.

Weird, I have the option for both modes
Bad French translation ? Anxiety rising :so-good-blob:

Last edited:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I'd try it either way, cant hurt, just change it back if it doesnt work.
What driver are you on?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I am really hating Lost Bastille in DS2. Like every weak 'dungeon' in DS1 is better than L. Bastille

Fe
Unravel
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude

Fe and Unravel 1 should be short.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'd try it either way, cant hurt, just change it back if it doesnt work.
What driver are you on?
Well I changed the option, launched Disgaea 1 that is set in fullscreen and my monitor still says Adaptative Sync is on.
I hope everything is indeed ok.

While we are at it, should I nuke vsync at the nvidia driver level ?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder how much Capcom gets from Facebook for that RE4VR. It has to be dozens of millions of dollars otherwise they would have easily sold to it to all the SteamVR and PSVR users.

Patching and updating old popular games with official VR modes would be one of those things that pushes VR into mainstream at very fast speeds. Instead publishers just fracture the market for some shitty cash grabs.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Well I changed the option, launched Disgaea 1 that is set in fullscreen and my monitor still says Adaptative Sync is on.
I hope everything is indeed ok.

While we are at it, should I nuke vsync at the nvidia driver level ?
I have v sync on at the driver level as per here - G-SYNC 101: Optimal G-SYNC Settings & Conclusion | Blur Busters

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
  • Set up G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible > Enable for full screen mode.
  • Manage 3D settings > Vertical sync > On (Why?).

In-game Settings:

• Use “Fullscreen” or “Exclusive Fullscreen” mode (some games do not offer this option, or label borderless windowed as fullscreen).
  • Disable all available “Vertical Sync,” “V-SYNC,” “Double Buffer,” and “Triple Buffer” options.
  • If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is available, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set (a minimum of) 3 FPS limit below display’s maximum refresh rate (57 FPS @60Hz, 97 FPS @100Hz, 117 FPS @120Hz, 141 FPS @144Hz, etc).

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't realize Nier is SO soon.
Damn damn damn, I need to find the money (why yes, it's one of the few planned games to elicit such a reaction from me. I never played Papa Nier, am very curious, and didn't suffer through 100%ing Drakengard to not jump on it like a madman).

Sir Guts

Dragonslayer
Apr 11, 2019
What’s up with the Japanese and their weird arse demo system? Why is it always either time-limited or tries limited?

Ffs we’re halfway into mid 2021:anguished-face:

• Toucan

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
New historical lowest price for:

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden -68% - €10.99
Mars War Logs -80% - ~€1.66
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 - Full Burst HD -70% - ~€5.18 (Gamesplanet US might be cheaper but risky to buy for EU people since there are EU and US versions on Steam store tagged)
TEKKEN 7 -86% - ~€4.60
GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst -86% - ~€5.64
Dead In Bermuda -80% - ~€2.50
MudRunner -82% - ~€3.76
Pro Cycling Manager 2018 -80% - ~€3.33
Post Human W.A.R -82% - ~€2.29
Forged Battalion -80% - ~€3.33
Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry -80% - ~€5.01
Angelo Skate Away -75% - ~€1.04
Get Even -85% - ~€3.76
Twickles -90% - ~€0.58
Timberman -90% - ~€0.08
Pro Cycling Manager 2017 -75% - ~€3.13
SWORD ART ONLINE: Fatal Bullet -80% - ~€6.68
Frederic: Resurrection of Music -90% - ~€0.23
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom -85% - ~€7.51
NARUTO: Ultimate Ninja STORM -85% - ~€5.01
Impulsion -60% - ~€4.35
Strikers Edge -75% - ~€3.13
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition -80% - €7.99

There are probably more historical lows but the list seems to be endless so I believe this will do for now.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
New historical lowest price for:

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden -68% - €10.99
Mars War Logs -80% - ~€1.66
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 - Full Burst HD -70% - ~€5.18 (Gamesplanet US might be cheaper but risky to buy for EU people since there are EU and US versions on Steam store tagged)
TEKKEN 7 -86% - ~€4.60
GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst -86% - ~€5.64
Dead In Bermuda -80% - ~€2.50
MudRunner -82% - ~€3.76
Pro Cycling Manager 2018 -80% - ~€3.33
Post Human W.A.R -82% - ~€2.29

W.I.P
Gamesplanet has a sale going on with historical lows on a variety of Bamco titles
THe Namco classics are $5 each so $10 for both collections :blobeyes:

Reactions: Tomasety

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Took a gamble yesterday.
Gonna leave the small company I currently work at (and where everyone likes me and I know my job is secure) to accept a job offer from a big company. Initially the pay will be the same but where I am currently I know that's all I'll ever get, while the new company has a reputation for allowing good employees to quickly climb the ranks. It's a career opportunity I would be stupid to miss but it's also a risk. I'll never know unless I try though.

Oh, right, games.
Slowly making progress on P5S, I think beating it before Nier is out will be doable. Mainline Persona could learn a thing or two from this game, it's even better than I expected.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Developers voted Steam as the best digital storefront for games:

Who could have thought that the media's narrative that developers adore EGS is nonsense? 🤔

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Developers voted Steam as the best digital storefront for games:

Who could have thought that the media's narrative that developers adore EGS is nonsense? 🤔
That's just Stockholm Syndrome. Developers are being held hostage by Steams draconian 30% tax, and are beginning to delude themselves that Valve is actually their friend. We just need a few more EGS money hats to set them all free, and usher in a new age of freedom for game developers!

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Nier bought for 46 something on GMG. Not that interested in the weak pre-order bonuses but it was only 2 euros more than on CDKeys. HURRY UP if you are interested, the price only lasts for 1-2 hours more.

And it turns out my mom medical bill of 220 euros could be partially or entirely covered. We may soon (when I get confirmation) be in good old shit, and not in the worst rotten shit from hell situation.
Life didn't go for the throat on that one. Thank you, Life ! :cryblob:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Took a gamble yesterday.
Gonna leave the small company I currently work at (and where everyone likes me and I know my job is secure) to accept a job offer from a big company. Initially the pay will be the same but where I am currently I know that's all I'll ever get, while the new company has a reputation for allowing good employees to quickly climb the ranks. It's a career opportunity I would be stupid to miss but it's also a risk. I'll never know unless I try though.
Good luck!

I'm currently trying to get a promotion on the company I work for though there are interviews and other candidates involved.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018

Fe
Unravel
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude

Just to add to the opinions.

I played Unravel some time ago and the other 3 in January during my EA Play promo time. Some quick notes and my playtime for each, without doing any kind of collecting anything for "100%".

1) Unravel - Very cute platformer with some great art and music, but not that challenging. Took me 5 hours.
2) Sea of Solitude - Didn't really "click" with me, but I still liked it. It is a very personal game dealing with mental health. A little less than 3 hours.
3) Unravel 2 - Has the coop focus but I played alone. Same style of the first, but since I didn't play them back-to-back I also really liked it. 4 hours without doing many of the optional levels.
4) Fe - It was... decent but got a little boring. Not that good progression in terms of abilities, etc, with I think only the first two being story-locked and the rest requiring a lot of collecting glowing things. Less than 5 hours.

And that's it. Happy gaming.

Reactions: Parsnip and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Square Enix being acquired by anyone would make me puke, but it's not going to happen.

ANYWAYS BOYS

NIER COMING SOON

WITH NEW FUCKING CONTENT

Steam version Preordered ✅
PS4 CE Preordered ✅
OST Preordered ✅
For me it's Steam CE pre-ordered
PS4 version pre-ordered (for the PSN papa Nier Avatar)

And the OST pre-ordered as well

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
So with the highly-anticipated release of Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 landing, I'm feeling the compulsion to finally dive into wargaming proper.

I mean it was always the logical conclusion for the middle-aged, dad-gamer*, right? (*no kids here)

Looks like the WWII Eastern Front is the hot ticket these days with two titans releasing Eastern-theater (Axis v. Sov.) campaigns in the same window. Grigsby's monster wargame War in the East 2, part of a series widely considered the most complex & comprehensive in the entire genre. And the polar opposite in Unity of Command 2: Barbarossa DLC campaign, a franchise known for onboarding the genre-curious with friendly mechanics & super-sexy presentation values.

Of course that impulsive run before you can walk part of me wants to dive headfirst Scrooge McDuck style into all that WitE2 spreadsheet-stat goodness. But the practical side of me knows I should slow my roll and cover the basics first before going all deep-end of the pool. I've got Grigsby's 2010 WitE1 on deck in case I want to load it up and marvel at just how clueless I really am (got a cheap key from a reseller and WitE2 won't be on Steam for some months anyway). But outside of that I think I'm gonna focus on Unity of Command 2 initially to get my feet wet.

In the meantime I've been browsing through various tutorials online. In a lot of ways it tracks 1:1 with my experience almost a decade ago in transitioning from general strategy gaming to the more complex grand-strategy subgenre. I remember initially seeking out guides to help learn the ropes in Civilization. And later down the line after that summit had been reached, doing the same process all over again for Europa Universalis.

And so the cycle looks to repeat going from baby-game UoC2 to big-brain WitE2. I'm not gonna lie, part of me does wish I could skip straight to the "good stuff" with the latter. But at the same time I know it'll make my chances of sticking with it even slimmer. Hell, it took me several attempts to finally get comfortable with Paradox grand-strat gaming, and that's even with years of Civ & co. general strat experience under my belt.

Besides, I've already got Aurora 4x and Distant Worlds: Universe if I want to blindly push some random UI buttons, make zero progress, quietly close my laptop & walk away. :p

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I mean it was always the logical conclusion for the middle-aged, dad-gamer*, right?
Wargaming is a dad-core genre, lol.

But for real, these games always looked intimidating. I only get into Order of Battle through its free tutorial game and that's it (it was long time ago, when I still had patience).

But these are interesting to read about from afar.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I don't think I would have the IQ or patience to play a real wargame, but the whole imagery of the hobby is strangely sexy to me. I have seen several pics of people playing real grognard wargames and yeah, sexy. There is something about the dryness of it, the hexagon filled board. Maybe it's just a matter of it evoking the maps of old school tabletop RPG.
Though personally I'm really not interested in WWII. To my knowledge physical wargames are diverse enough to not be, I don't know, automatically WWII or American Civil War.

edit
Thinking a little more about it, and ogling the pic of War in the East 2, maybe my weird interest in wargames is paradoxically some remnants of my inner writer. The more abstracted the map, the more room for imagination. What's behind that bush in this hex ? And my little square unit, gee I hope they are alright !

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I guess it's going for a serious story this time. It will probably fail on that front going by what's shown here. The Legend was funny-ish, at least light hearted and not taking itself seriously to the point a bad story hampers the experience when its gameplay and overall journey you went through were basically excellent.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Wargaming is a dad-core genre, lol.

But for real, these games always looked intimidating. I only get into Order of Battle through its free tutorial game and that's it (it was long time ago, when I still had patience).

But these are interesting to read about from afar.
Yeah, I've got OoB on the backburner for sure in regards to learning material.

I got another fab suggestion from a wargame vet that he swears by for genre newcomers, an older 2010 title Battle Academy . Looks kinda gamey on the surface but it's supposed to be great for developing tactical thinking.

Yeah, I don't think I would have the IQ or patience to play a real wargame, but the whole imagery of the hobby is strangely sexy to me. I have seen several pics of people playing real grognard wargames and yeah, sexy. There is something about the dryness of it, the hexagon filled board. Maybe it's just a matter of it evoking the maps of old school tabletop RPG.
Though personally I'm really not interested in WWII. To my knowledge physical wargames are diverse enough to not be, I don't know, automatically WWII or American Civil War.
I hear you. I think map games, hex games and the like are sexy as hell too.

It's exactly what you're saying in regards to the dry presentation. It speaks to a depth under the hood that doesn't need AAA(A) production values to draw people in.

It actually feels like a giant middle finger to the "AAA(A)" /Sterling industry complex.

It has a secret-society kinda vibe to it as well. Like that underground band you always loved but never heard on the radio. You'll see commercials for the latest CoD every 20 min. on target television stations like Comedy Central. But you'll never see an ad for a grognard wargame. Coupled with the 90° angle learning curve it gives the whole genre a really edgy feel.

If you're cold on WWII/Civil War themes you might want to consider Shadow Empire. It took the strat community by storm in 2020.

It's produced by a solo dev and is a strange hybrid of wargame, 4X, rpg.

Setting is pretty fresh too set hundreds of years after a galaxy-wide civil war. But instead of some big, epic Save The World (tm.) adventure, you're just a lowly community set on a forgotten planet somewhere tasked with picking up the pieces and establishing yourself alongside all the other groups on your world.

Got a bit of a Mad Max vibe and planet diversity is off the charts, giving starting scenarios a limitless possibilities type of feel.

Again, with wargame roots it's not the easiest nut to crack (see: 350 pg. manual), but if you're curious but averse to traditional settings, you could do far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.