Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
As for Deadly Premonition, a memory leak of a game should not be able to persist over restarts of the process, or be affected by OS reboots.
Something to do with file handles or PIDs or anything else similar?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Something to do with file handles or PIDs or anything else similar?
Or maybe it doesn't handle being allocated fragmented memory very well but i struggle to see how that would be the case. It could also use some performance counter for RNG or something similar and it crashes when that value gets too large. No idea but it is very strange.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The sound issue doesn't seem that unusual though from a programming perspective. I actually fixed a bug in the sound system of earler ToCS which crashed them if the default device defaulted to more than 48 kHz sampling rate.

As for Deadly Premonition, a memory leak of a game should not be able to persist over restarts of the process, or be affected by OS reboots.
Could it be dependant on how much memory is cached by the OS? I mean, I know the OS frees the cache if a running program needs more stuff, but maybe the programmers of DP have, through some black magic, managed to stop that from happening and it just crashes when too much of RAM is taken up by the OS cache.

Reactions: lashman

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
The rumours about this year's Call of Duty being an absolute disaster to development is GIVING ME LIFE

Bobby Kotick ruins everything he touches and annualization of video games was a mistake:minos_commie::minos_commie::minos_commie::minos_commie::minos_commie:

The possibility that this Call of Duty gets cancelled it too real for me to comprehend

they have a successful BR on the blizzard server and they want a new SP/MP shooter with day one dlc and map packs??????????

Icarus is flying too near the sun and he about to fall to the earth ABSOLUTE MADLADS did it!

They drove a respectable franchise into a fiery pit of hell itself amazing shit really

I will laugh so hard if this game gets cancelled

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Take this with a grain of salt.
But the biggest piece of evidence I have that Abandoned is not a Kojima joint is that Kojima is in talks with Microsoft about publishing his next game, according to a source familiar with the matter. And yes, that statue on Phil Spencer’s shelf was referencing a potential deal with the legendary developer. I cannot confirm if Xbox closed the deal yet, but my understanding is that Kojima is the focus of a Microsoft plan to leverage Japanese talent.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So Kojima still has rights to the cancelled Stadia exclusive? I figured Google funded it so after cancelling it it would be dead forever. Maybe it just never took off the ground.

Either way Gamepass is good partner for Kojima. There will be a PC/Steam version day 1 too.

That is a big L for Sony if they miss out.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
There's also this.
I can find nothing about CREATEQ on the Internet. It's weird and people's suspicion is warranted.
So Kojima still has rights to the cancelled Stadia exclusive? I figured Google funded it so after cancelling it it would be dead forever. Maybe it just never took off the ground.

Either way Gamepass is good partner for Kojima. There will be a PC/Steam version day 1 too.

That is a big L for Sony too if they miss out.
Yeah, it's a bid deal if true.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
A Gamepass game doesn't necessarily mean an exclusive, right? It could be a full multiplatforms game too, but it'll be day 1 on Gamepass.

A Kojima game not being on a Sony platform would be something else, though.

Reactions: Tomasety

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I accidentally deleted my save in Cozy Grove and directly then deleted the game haha. Sometimes I wish cloud saves understood if I made a mistake on not.XD Steam cloud at least has older versions of the cloud save right? I remember there was a way to go to a website and download cloud saves.

Edit: Phew seems the save file was intact on my Mac mini so now could upload to the cloud again and should be able to continue on the iPhone again.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
When MS gets games I get happy that at least it usually comes to game pass, but at the same time sad because MS never has anything on Mac. Would love me some Age of Empires! Would buy them on Steam if they did.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Kinda weird considering the other brands have bios updates for the 300 series afaik. Seems like a simple thing to enable when the feature itself is from 2008 pcie 3.0 standards.
I don't know how hard it is but I can't agree with Steve that just because they didn't promise anything people should stay silent. When your competition did it there is no reason for your customers to stay silent.

Reactions: didamangi

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Take this with a grain of salt.
Not really need to take this with a grain of salt, Stadia dropped a project, Sony isn't willing to pay for the next one and MS wants more content in order to push their japanese presence, while it's nothing more than talks at this moment, I think it's safe to assume that MS is the safest bet.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
70 euro > EGS only
True. But still, it's a significant increase in price. Not only the higher base price, but Microsofts games aren't available in bundles (Humble, Fanatical etc) and I haven't seen any Steam keys for their games in 3rd party keystores so far.

I'm still praying for game pass on Steam, or unlocked game files in the Windows Store.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Bad look for Gamersnexus there. I like Steve a lot, he's intellectually honest, but he's not making a compelling point there. Hardware capabilities just shouldn't be withheld from the user, period. It's the same problem they have argued with intel's overclocking limitations.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This is the kind of games that Valve need to kick out of the store instead of some harmless nude games.

I don't expect this to go anywhere, sadly. Valve is pretty drunk on that libertarian "we do not police what games you can release" BS, as long as it doesn't involve age ratings or break the law, and I don't see MS and Sony to listen to any civil rights advocacy group.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'd be thrilled to be wrong about this, but I don't think I will be.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
For the last feww days I get these randomly.

Pages that don't load with a rotating loading icon

Tabs with a loading point going from left to right

I'm on Firefox. The only thing that seems to do the trick (not guaranteed) is
  • to open a new tab and enter the url I wanted to open on the dead tab
  • close the browser, re-launch it and pray

Does it look like any known issue ? Some element of my PC I could look at disapprovingly ?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Li Kao
What extensions are you running? Specifically what Ad-blocking or General Blocking/Filtering type extensions are you running?
Update your extensions, Update Firefox, If they're important then save your tabs as a bookmark set and close Firefox, Clear out your caches, start Firefox again. If you use UBlock Origin then purge and reload the blocklists.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Try disabling every browser add-on except uBlock Origin.
I have...
Augmented Steam
Bitwarden
Bookmark Dupes
Facebook Container
No Coin
iCloud
Tampermonkey
Ublock

I guess I can disable
Augmented Steam
Bookmark Dupes
Tampermonkey

and maybe iCloud

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Speaking of browser issues, when I visit newtumbl.com my browser instantly crashes haha, never experienced something like that before, that a website can crash a browser.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
EdwardTivrusky

- Specifically what Ad-blocking or General Blocking/Filtering type extensions are you running?
Vanilla ublock ?

- Update your extensions
no update needed

- Update Firefox
no update needed

- If you use UBlock Origin then purge and reload the blocklists.
I think I just did that, not really knowledgeable about ublock. I deleted the cache and updated the list, I think

- Clear out your caches, start Firefox again.
Uguu, keeping that for last, I like my passwords at least semi-memorized

Let's see if the ublock purge and unecessary add-ons deactivation helps. Thanks you everyone for the suggestions.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I don't expect this to go anywhere, sadly. Valve is pretty drunk on that libertarian "we do not police what games you can release" BS, as long as it doesn't involve age ratings or break the law, and I don't see MS and Sony to listen to any civil rights advocacy group.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'd be thrilled to be wrong about this, but I don't think I will be.
Disagreed there, I actually think their stance is right. Fallujah is an abhorrent game but if Valve is going to start exerting a censoring capability based on subjective views, then we're in for some dark times. This is the purview of governments, which is exactly the problem with Fallujah in the first place. This isn't a corporation's job to fix and I'd be very concerned if they started going down that route.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I guess I can disable
I meant that you should disable everything and see if it solves the issue.
If no, then the issue arises because of another reason.
If yes, then proceed to activate one additional add-on at a time until you figure out which is the culprit. Or another activation strategy.

Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Disagreed there, I actually think their stance is right. Fallujah is an abhorrent game but if Valve is going to start exerting a censoring capability based on subjective views, then we're in for some dark times. This is the purview of governments, which is exactly the problem with Fallujah in the first place. This isn't a corporation's job to fix and I'd be very concerned if they started going down that route.
Valve doesn't have to publish your game that glorifies the Iraq War. It's a private store, and they can arbitrarily block whatever game they want. And they do, just look at the silly "rules" they arbitrarily enforce against eroge stuff.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Valve doesn't have to publish your game that glorifies the Iraq War. It's a private store, and they can arbitrarily block whatever game they want. And they do, just look at the silly "rules" they arbitrarily enforce against eroge stuff.
Which are decried exactly for that reason, because they are unpredictable and seemingly arbitrary and, thankfully, only limited to this genre. It isn't a corporation's job to decide what can or can't be published on moral grounds because those are very shifting sands. I would worry a hell of a lot about the precedent it set given Valve's market leading position.

These things should abide by the rule of law and be given due process. This is what regulations are for and I don't feel comfortable relying on the least accountable entities - corporations - to fix this problem. They already have too much power as it is.

I hate Fallujah as a game but it's within their right to publish it and I strongly believe that the issue should be taken with the DoD and US government in general. Compromising the fairness with which the platform treats everyone for the sake of one game that people will boycott anyway doesn't strike me as wise.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you there.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

Status
Not open for further replies.