Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
UE5 Matrix Demo is stunning on PC

But it made me realize one thing, photorealistic rendering is still kinda far away. I mean don't get me wrong that video is really close but entire time something was off to me. And then it hit me, it's too clean. Tons of shiny cars but none of them are dirty, none of them have faded paint, streets have nice textures and look but they miss details like spilled oil and other things. In short Epic reached that 90-95% mark with tech but that last 5-10% maybe will never be reached because it is impossible to replicate those tiny little details we see every day in real world. Maybe sometime in the future AI manages to populate virtual worlds with those details, but for now we will be stuck in that "close but not there yet" bubble.
I think that last '10%' is going to be really slow to achieve. In a lot of ways, we are technically only like 0.0000001% there. Game objects don't have volume, materials don't simulate nanoscale geometry effects on light wavelengths, game materials aren't procedural based on anything in the game world (or at the very most, extremely trivially simulatory.

Oh the other hand, I think we are at the point where games frequently have brief periods of being effectively 'photorealistic' or 'TV realistic' as it were.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So a fair few runs on Vampire Survivors and I think I unlocked about 6 or 7 characters. My favourite is either the bear that throws cherry bombs everywhere or the definately not Bayoneta, honest. Also finally completed my Pentagram run. That is a painful weapon to try and max out. At low levels it wipes out everything on the screen. Including exp crystals, floor chicken and chests. It slows down progression a lot. Even at higher levels it only reduces the chances of destroying the items. But when it is fully evolved, it is just amazing. It boosts Exp gems, I had never seen the gold one before, and when I unlocked it at 29.30 it just gave me 30 levels in one go.

Also spent far too much time on PvP on FFXIV. The new mode is fun, pops almost instantly and is quick. Drag the crystal to enemy territory. You get wolf marks and crystals for it. Wolf Marks are the original PVP currency and the crystals are the new set. Plenty of glamours in their and the Garo event is currently running. Best of all about the new mode, coms are restricted to token phrases so there is no toxicity in there. In/ount and spend you points.

There is a battle pass associated with it as well. Gets you some banners for the new portrait/player card system, some glams and currency. Nothing to really miss out on and runs for 4 months at anyrate.

Thing is it seems to be working, the Wolfs Den is always busy when I go there..

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
People realized that Steam has anime on it and are now leaving for greener pastures.
So sad Valve removed it, I bought Angels of Death, fate kaleid prisma illya, and some other seasons when they were available. I miss this.
At least the ones I purchased are still there on my library.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Anyone remind me why still no KH on Steam.
likely due timing, prior Eastern holidays/Season there was chrono cross so I guess they didnt want to overlap both things, wait a bit longer.

Releasing KH in the middle of the holidays would be likely less ideal than waiting until a less festive time.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
likely due timing, prior Eastern holidays/Season there was chrono cross so I guess they didnt want to overlap both things, wait a bit longer.

Releasing KH in the middle of the holidays would be likely less ideal than waiting until a less festive time.
I would be shocked if Square put any time into the timing of their releases. I assume they have a half finished store page lying around and just can't be bothered to do anything on it. Maybe when their janitor is back from Easter holidays and finds some time in between cleaning

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Mor you're overthinking this, SE is just fucking stupid
I mean, yes, they're fucking stupid. We all know this. Recent news about their CEO's "play to earn" stance confirms that the company is run by chuckleheads.

But Mor does have a very good point. There is a time and a place to do this. Square Enix are currently trying to push the Chrono Cross remaster, and since the Kingdom Hearts IV announcement speculation on that game is pretty much dominating the fan discourse. A Steam release of year old EGS games is not likely to make the news right now.

Remember that S-E has an obligation to its shareholders to maximise its profits (ergo, their dividend). If they think they will have an opportunity to make a bigger deal out of the Steam launch to yield bigger profits, they will take that. That will probably involve some marketing, a modest launch discount (20% seems like the figure, since that's what they recently discounted it by on EGS despite giving NEO TWEWY and FF7R bigger discounts), and maybe even a patch for the PC version to improve performance or fix a few bugs or whatever.

But I do agree on principle that S-E are a truly bizarre company who make really stupid decisions on a regular basis.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Thinking about selling my Xbox and cancelling my Gamepass suscription. I don't use it that much tbh, either of them.
I bought an Xbox One X when it released despite selling my original Xbox One and to this day I still wonder why. I mean, I know it was because of some x360 games BC, but still, I don't ever use it. So no way in hell Im buying a Series X/S.

I only have a Switch and PS5 in regards to current gen consoles and I barely use them either, only for that occasional exclusive, but even then I have yet to finish Demons and Returnal, Im waiting for those to come to PC. Those games require me to invest a lot of time in them to finish them, would rather do that on PC. I finished Forbidden West on PS5 as it was wasy and not a particularly long game.

For the Switch I will probably get that Kirby game at some point. Other than Xenoblade 3, BOTW2 and GoW Ragnarok, nothing for me for the consoles.

You all not my friend anymore.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Because Square Enix doesn't give a shit about their customers. I'm usually the last person to advocate piracy, but in this case, just go ahead and torrent it. Square got hundreds of millions from Epic anyway and doesn't deserve your money imo.
Honestly, I have gone too lazy to hunt for games online on some sketchy torrent sites. If Square doesn't want my money, then fine, there's plenty other games that I care about.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Honestly, I have gone too lazy to hunt for games online on some sketchy torrent sites. If Square doesn't want my money, then fine, there's plenty other games that I care about.
Yeah, also this, I have so many games to play I haven't bother torrenting a game in a very long time.

Waiting for games to hit Steam and buy them takes far less energy and time than finding a pirate site and downloading it on shitty speeds.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
I mean, yes, they're fucking stupid. We all know this. Recent news about their CEO's "play to earn" stance confirms that the company is run by chuckleheads.

But Mor does have a very good point. There is a time and a place to do this. Square Enix are currently trying to push the Chrono Cross remaster, and since the Kingdom Hearts IV announcement speculation on that game is pretty much dominating the fan discourse. A Steam release of year old EGS games is not likely to make the news right now.

Remember that S-E has an obligation to its shareholders to maximise its profits (ergo, their dividend). If they think they will have an opportunity to make a bigger deal out of the Steam launch to yield bigger profits, they will take that. That will probably involve some marketing, a modest launch discount (20% seems like the figure, since that's what they recently discounted it by on EGS despite giving NEO TWEWY and FF7R bigger discounts), and maybe even a patch for the PC version to improve performance or fix a few bugs or whatever.

But I do agree on principle that S-E are a truly bizarre company who make really stupid decisions on a regular basis.
mine was mostly a joke, mostly because I truly believe they're stupid

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
There's two new interviews with Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman about Return to Monkey Island:

Good news for those that were worried they would completely discard CMI, EMI and TMI, they talk about that specifically, and they said they tried their best not to disregard those three games and what happens in them. Its a good read :) especially the AdventureGamers one.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Mor you're overthinking this, SE is just fucking stupid
I'm not really overthinking anything, S-E paid and commissioned both Epic and Steam SKUs, not launching one of the SKUs would mean they paid for nothing and same can be said for the other two.

I think it's a matter of the right timing, nothing else.
Friend told me today that they still didn't send mine Deck even though it was paid on Thursday XD
Easter holidays, bro!

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Dread Hunger has sold 1 million units. It's been a fixture in the Steam top 10 charts the past few months and is a big hit in China.

Great, three more people saying Deck fans are shit
From what I've read, Valve uses two suppliers for fans and one of them has the annoying whiny fans, so you're basically playing a fan lottery.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.