Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
There is a new EGS exclusive it would seem, and it's for a game that I wanted to play.... EGS give me options don't take them away

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

I wasn't going to say anything about this announcement (Ooblets) because at first I saw it was only a few devs and they talked about the much needed money and all that. And then they kept talking.

This is a prime example of talking your way into a hole. I don't think I'll ever bother with the game now.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

I wasn't going to say anything about this announcement (Ooblets) because at first I saw it was only a few devs and they talked about the much needed money and all that. And then they kept talking.

This is a prime example of talking your way into a hole. I don't think I'll ever bother with the game now.
Plus, from their blog post:
Epic paying for PC exclusives has become the latest thing Gamers™ have gotten angry about, which I’ll talk more about a bit further down.
Why? Tell me why a dev felt that he had to put things like that? This is just dumbness.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I guess I am a Toxic gamer then, I was hoping that they would have a "good response" and try to be civil about this in some shape or form (I think another Indie dev did this, where they did a whole bunch of PR mubo jumbo that you would expect from a AAA publisher to use as an excuse for why something is the way it is) but that is the complete opposite of what happened.

From what I am reading here it does not seem like they talked to their backers about the change before hand and just made the switch themselves, do they at least say it's a one year thing and those that wanted Steam keys can still get them once the game hits Steam in a year?

From the first sentence it seems like the dev team (or who ever wrote this notice) are/is mostly a console gamer and not that invested in PC (since this game is coming not only to PC but also to consoles from my understanding??), so things happening in the PC side of gaming may not matter to them?

But ya calling out your backers like this is never a good thing, I'm sorry dear customer but can I ask you to calm down and not make a scene (that is a major no no in the Customer Service world and something you should never do).

Time to hit the high seas and see if I can find any treasure

Deleted member 113

Ugh, that good old "there are more important things to worry about". That dev lost all my respect.
But... they are right!

Some people make a big deal out of this, but they are totally right, it's not a big deal.
It's a game. One. Hundreds of other games launch each month. Many alternatives to spend our money on.

I mean, they are quite plainly telling you to suck it, and if you aren't happy go somewhere else.
Do exactly that. :)

People continue to get worked up, and give free publicity to the developers and games doing this crap.
Really, don't bother, don't waste your time, have some self-esteem, and don't support these people.

I still think we waste so much time talking about the few games we aren't getting, and not enough time on the games we do are getting.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
These indie developers should invest some of that Epic money on getting a dedicated PR department because they're completely clueless when it comes to handling your potential audience.

I mean, that blog post is something else.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
B-b-but Jonathan Blow said Chinese can't develop games, they can just copycat Western/Japanese ideas.
Is it possible that J-Blo is a fuckin' moron? :unsure:

I think so.

==========

Welcome BAN PUNCHER , even though you've been here for a while already lol, seems now you've got nowhere else to turn though.

I welcome your particular brand of chaos. Something, something spice of life after all!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
But... they are right!

I still think we waste so much time talking about the few games we aren't getting, and not enough time on the games we do are getting.
Yup, it's what i've been trying to do since the EGS malarky shat things up. The only time i engage with EGS shit is here and even then i forget about EGS and the games on it for long periods of time. I need to make those periods of time longer too. I need to make EGS a blindspot/black-hole so that the second something goes there i pretty much forget about it.

Deleted member 113

These indie developers should invest some of that Epic money on getting a dedicated PR department because they're completely clueless when it comes to handling your potential audience.

You worry too much about them.
Screw them.

Do you really need PR to have some common sense, and not antagonize and talk down to the people you may need to buy your games in the future?

When I started working, I don't think I needed anyone telling me "don't insult or patronize our customers" to know it's a poor thing to do.

Some of these people live in a bubble.
They ask for money on crowdfunding, they get it. They ask for money on patreon (yeah, at least one of them has a patreon account related to the game), they get it. And now, they got the money they expected to get from selling the game. All without... actually putting out a game.

I wish I could get paid in advance, without giving anything back. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Move along. Don't support crappy, petulant people.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

Some devs should just remember that "it's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt".

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Neat, was thinking of getting the old version for a while now, all the improvements sound good.
  • Two all-new, handcrafted levels set on Phobos & Deimos, the moons of Mars.
  • New ships: Brave the horrors of Mars with several powerful new ships and their unique loadouts, including Treason's powerful fusillades of homing missiles, Ghost's mighty close-range Excalibur and shadow double, and The Armada, three new configurable characters allow for 36 possible weapon loadouts, allowing players to craft their own playstyle.
  • Countless improvements large and small, including new background & enemy artwork, level layout adjustments, bullet pattern tweaks, and a completely scratch-built user interface.
  • The original soundtrack and sound effects have been carefully remastered for 5.1 surround sound, powered by the all-new Gorilla Audio engine

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Hard for me to care about a devs personal take like that when they don't even give the steam community a chance to support them at launch. They can spin their stupid pr opinions all they want but in the end they are limiting their audience in return for some fortnite money. Its as simple as that.

The most successful indie and early access success stories of this gen have all come from Steam. The steam community doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. And steam users sure as fuck don't need to be told to download another launcher or create new accounts.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain

I can't agree more, how can you say those type of things with a straight face? Some of these indie developers show that they don't have a clue other than developing games, oh boy 🤦‍♀️

Deleted member 113

Yeah... this one's funny.
They were successful on PC, which enabled them to create a better version of the game (with significant added content), and launched it exclusively on a console.

Then, proceeded to ignore the PC customer base for ages, when people were asking for the new version on PC, either as an update or paid DLC.
Now, 4+ years later, they are releasing it?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Not many months until Ashen is on Steam (december).
127 days to be more precise. (alongside Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek if that was a 12 month deal too)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Havent they taken like 5+ years to release this thing? And used Steam as their marketing tool. Meh, removing from my wishlist and never bothering with them again.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
But... they are right!

Some people make a big deal out of this, but they are totally right, it's not a big deal.
It's a game. One. Hundreds of other games launch each month. Many alternatives to spend our money on.

I mean, they are quite plainly telling you to suck it, and if you aren't happy go somewhere else.

People continue to get worked up, and give free publicity to the developers and games doing this crap.
Really, don't bother, don't waste your time, have some self-esteem, and don't support these people.

Sure, but that doesn't mean one can't care about this and actually worry about the other stuff. It's an alt-right go to "what about" and I can't believe they used it and I that's what I'm mostly reacting to. Them going exclusive, sure it's a shame since I wanted to play the game, but I can wait.

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
They were successful on PC, which enabled them to create a better version of the game (with significant added content), and launched it exclusively on a console.

Then, proceeded to ignore the PC customer base for ages, when people were asking for the new version on PC, either as an update or paid DLC.

Yeah, yeah, sadly i know (because i loved the original Jamestown). Also looking at the publisher (20XX devs) i don't even know if the original devs are involved with this port of the PS4 version.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Hard for me to care about a devs personal take like that when they don't even give the steam community a chance to support them at launch. They can spin their stupid pr opinions all they want but in the end they are limiting their audience in return for some fortnite money. Its as simple as that.

The most successful indie and early access success stories of this gen have all come from Steam. The steam community doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. And steam users sure as fuck don't need to be told to download another launcher or create new accounts.
I wonder how well Hades has sold because there are some indie games on Steam that have sold over 700k in their early access days, Dead Cells sold that much and I don't think anyone knew who that dev was prior to that game. Risk of Rain 2 did 1 million Steam users (since there were also free copies) in it's first month. Even more "niche" titles are able to do 50k in their early access phase.

Did you know that some devs go the extra mile for their fans, take Project Nimbus it was an early access game then exited, shortly after its exist another company basically remade the game and added new stuff, the Steam version would not get any of that. It could not be added to the Steam version since it was being handled by a different company and not the original devs, fast forward and the devs were able to get the updated version on Steam and give it for free to owners of the original game.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019

damn, did not know about that. dunno if i should try it based on what you said then

Reactions: Deleted member 113

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So in that Ooblets dev post we got

• Don't you all have Fortnite accounts?
  • What about Steam launch in 2003?
  • It's really just another launcher
  • Why don't you guys worry about climate change and human rights abuse instead
  • Complain about piracy
  • Toxic gamers
  • Calling PC gamers for entitled

That's one helluva blog post. Gotta give the devs that.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
You worry too much about them.
Screw them.

Do you really need PR to have some common sense, and not antagonize and talk down to the people you may need to buy your games in the future?
Yeah I have no PR experience but you really don't need any to see that something is controversial and upsetting to a lot of people (which they admitted they knew!) out there so don't antagonize them.

Instead they went "Wow that's a big hornet's nest over there. I wonder what will happen if I whack it with this stick?"

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So in that Ooblets dev post we got

• Don't you all have Fortnite accounts?
  • What about Steam launch in 2003?
  • It's really just another launcher
  • Why don't you guys worry about climate change and human rights abuse instead
  • Complain about piracy
  • Toxic gamers
  • Calling PC gamers for entitled

That's one helluva blog post. Gotta give the devs that.
I wonder why they just dont take the money, make announcement and shut up. It isnt really that hard.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
RPCS3 is still in alpha... Some games run great, other games run like ass.
You should read their monthly progress report... some of the stuff they manage to fix in a month's time is impressive!
That's cool, my point is that no, it doesn't run Nier properly on a modest PC, as has been said numerous times on the internet. Or simply not on mine.
The fact that the perf is shit is whatever, I know, oh God pardon me the cringe, I know those things, they take time.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Aren't you ashamed of your words and deeds? Instead of writing this toxic, entitled post, you could have solved climate change, ended world hunger, solved the remaining Hilbert's problems and done your laundry.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wonder why they just dont take the money, make announcement and shut up. It isnt really that hard.
They feel they need to get out ahead of the backlash. It's that i)they dont understand the backlash, ii)they don't know how to do that.

So while they get their point across: "we need the money!" they also verbal diarrhea everything else because they think it'll help shore up the 'take the money' argument.

This also gets the game out there since the PR for EGS exclusives is limited and on them now.

Now lets forget about them and go back to the 2016/2017 E3 PCGamer show and see what hasnt gone exclusice...

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
But... they are right!

This really. I was bummed to see Ooblets go EGS exclusive but I was expecting it anyway and it was like no big deal they went independent and are a super small team so no wonder they took the money Ill just play it in a year. But after reading that blog post I think ill just wait until its in a bundle or dirt cheap if I get it at all. Fuck em.

There are thousands of games to play and not enough time to play them all, so why spend my short time supporting developers who are practically saying “who cares if you have to pay more for our game? Its a free launcher! Fuck you we deserve the extra money anyway!” When I can just spend it playing the stupid amount of games in my backlog. (Or just FFXIV and Overwatch per usual)

I’m sure I can cope with not being able to play quirky farming simulator with a twist #55.

Deleted member 113

Sure, but that doesn't mean one can't care about this and actually worry about the other stuff.
Honestly, Monooboe, and without any intention to "insult" other fellow forum members who do get upset about this, with so many games launching on the platforms I do use each and every day (just look at the first post of this thread, or Tizoc 's monthly threads), I can't get particularly worked up about this.

My reaction to most of these deals is "screw them, I'll buy something else". Really, nothing more.
I think people forget they are the ones that should be happy if we pay them, not the other way around.
I learned of this piece of news only because people posted about it, I read their post, so I just went to my wishlist, removed the game (and placed it on ignore), stopped following it on twitter, and it's now out of my mind.

We aren't lacking in options. And that's not mentioning the backlog most of us have (I have far better games on my backlog, dozens easily, than any of the EGS exclusives announced so far).
If a developer doesn't want my money, I'll simply buy something else, be it other games, a movie or two, or I'll keep that money for some night outs, or to buy a dinner or two. There are no shortage of options.

Again, I can live without getting their games. I have other things to do, and other games to play.

Did I get upset with some of them turning exclusive? Yeah, surely. Mostly Phoenix Point, and Shenmue III (and Rune 2).
But only because I paid some good money, well in advance, for them (especially Shenmue III, a few hundred €), under a certain pretence, and then I'm lied to, and I'm told I won't be getting what I was promised.
Paying for something already, and then being lied to, and being told I should like what I'm getting instead, that does gets me upset.

But, even Shenmue III won't make me lose my sleep.
And I'm someone who paid hundreds of € for Shenmue items throughout the years, be it buying several versions of the games, rare playable demos, vhs promos for Japanese stores, and other misc. items.
Even considering that, after what the developer and publisher pulled, they can suck it.

Or Phoenix Point. I followed Julian Gollop's work since the 80's.
I bought his games, even crap he worked on for the GBA and the Nintendo 3DS.
And I happily backed his game, even before the campaign was officially started.
After what he did, and what he and his company said (things like "even if we refund everyone we are still making money"), I simply refunded my backing (even after being promised a Steam key, and several bonuses), and his work is dead to me. He's not getting any further cent from me. It's that simple.

So, Monooboe, everyone reacts differently, and I understand those who think and act differently.
But, my personal opinion, is that by continuing to discuss these games and developers, and interacting with them on twitter to ask for reasons, or to worry about their PR coverage and interaction with potential customers, we are simply giving them exposure, and a lot of free publicity.
And sadly, I expect many people to jump on these games as soon as they are out on Steam, essentially making this situation a win-win for these developers.

Support other people instead. Be it the developer who does point & click adventure games, who keeps struggling to get some coverage, and sell his games. Or the blu-ray label who continues to release films on physical media, when the format appears to be dying a slow death, and when the big studios care less and less about releasing older films from their catalogue on the formats. Or your favourite musician. Or, simply take the money, and take a friend, or your girlfriend/boyfriend, for a nice meal. So many alternative ways to spend your money. Or, keep it, and save it. :)

When a developer tries to explain to me, the guy who is expected to pay for his game, why I shouldn't care about using "x" store, or "x" software, or how I'm this or that about potentially caring for it, I really have to say "give me a fucking break".
Really, I don't owe anyone a justification about my reasons for wanting to buy something on a certain store. Or not use a certain piece of software. In fact, I don't owe them nothing.
So, screw them. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Paging Durante
Your favorite developer finally doing your favorite genre
I wouldn't call VNs my favourite genre, but the story parts of EXAPUNKS were actually pretty good (just like everything else in that game), so why not!

But... they are right!

Well said.

I have enough hours of gameplay available to me without jumping through hoops to last several lifetimes.

If you clearly don't want my money, you won't get it, and that's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.