Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I wonder at what point the argument about competition and 30% will stop to be iterated over and over, and accepted unquestionably by media. As critical thought and actually questioning things doesn't seem to be practices that anyone wants to use in this case, I guess it will take actual reality to show how little water they hold. Epic's 12% won't help indies stay afloat, and the added "competition" won't benefit anyone, quite literally as I don't see Epics plans panning out.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Why didn't the interviewer pressed this Chris Early dude to elaborate a more realistic cut? Lest we forget, Steam's digital distribution infrastructure isn't just 3x AWS instances and 1x SQLDB instance slapped together like EGS or Nintendo.

Deleted member 113

Isn't it also unrealistic to buy exclusivity for one store?
Unrealistic? No. It's a business decision.

Is it a good one?
Well, the jury's still out on that.
But, considering the amount of people I see that started by first redeeming their freebies, and now started buying these exclusives, it appears to be working. This, from the point of view of Epic.

As for developers/publishers, the amount of people I read saying they are skipping them on the EGS, but are running to buy these games when they launch on Steam/GOG, to prove a point, well that is a sign that clearly these deals pay off for them.
Clearly, developers/publishers can pull whatever they want, and people will buy their games anyway. So, for them, this is the best of both worlds: they get Epic's money, and then healthy sales later on.
Usually, after a year, most people forget about a certain product. With this "second launch" strategy, they will actually manage to sell a year-old product as a new one. And incredibly, people will still flock to buy it! :unsure:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
They have Uplay so why don't they open the floodgates and sell 3rd party games on their store? At least attempt to do what Valve has been doing before claiming business models as realistic or not. Try and provide the service Valve provides before talking shit. But they don't and they can't.

Its all just a bunch of barking and not biting from corporate suits. With Sweeney leading the charge.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
It's even subtler ! The article acknowledge that 70/30 is a reality everywhere else, but still rolls with it. We know it's bullshit, you know it's bullshit, but let's act like it's not bullshit. At some point, this is just spectacular.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, no one really sees the big picture like where does Valve put that money. For example Linux gaming, has Ubi, Epic or any other managed to give a shit about it?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, no one really sees the big picture like where does Valve put that money. For example Linux gaming, has Ubi, Epic or any other managed to give a shit about it?
To be honest Linux gaming seem to be absolutely anecdotal revenue-wise. It's not surprising for an exec to not give a shit :crying-face:
A UBI exec at that. His no shit given must be stratosphere level.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
But well that said, I'm so depressed lately since I just can't seem to find the time for traditional games. :face-with-cold-sweat: Even on my days off, I seem to spend them catching up on all the things I missed during the work week. I feel like I'll never beat my backlog honestly. ... don't think I've beaten a single game since April.

It's making me anti-social again too. I don't post on here or Era as often as I used to and that makes me feel bad as well. I feel like I'm gonna disconnect from everyone and I don't wanna be like that, but the common thread here (and there) is Video Games, and I literally have nothing to say about them lately. I haven't even been following the news on them. orz
I'm really sorry to read this. How many hours a day do you work? And what exactly are the things you miss during your work week?

Perhaps it's a good idea to lower the time you spend on reading and talking about games, and spending more time on actually playing them. That's what I've done as well, since reading about games isn't much fun anymore thanks to Epic.

I also make desktop icons for the games I want to play most, and when I finish a game, I just start the next icon (which is easy, because you know, it's just another icon to click ;).). This way I don't lose time deciding what game I'm gonna play.

Last but not least: feel free to post more in the postmeta section. You guys and girls are from all over the world, and I'd love to see how you spend your day, what you like etc...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
For the most part Journalists/Industry People see and know exactly where Valve's money goes but it doesn't help the narrative does it? Steam is the "Big Bad" and we're all just horrible people. I'm in a phase where I've stopped caring what the media and other social forums say to be honest, i just can't be arsed with it.

I agree with Ge0force , although we've been conditioned to avidly consume social media I'm much happier avoiding 95% of my previous sources and just sticking to here and various Discords. It's much less negative and better for my mental outlook.
I'm playing more games, trying more Co-op games and gradually dragging my sorry ass into being more digitally sociable. I still won't initiate a co-op yet as i "Don't like to intrude or assume" but i'll get over that soon enough.

I mean, I want to try some of my headsets tonight for Voice Chat which i would NEVER have done a year ago!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
For the most part Journalists/Industry People see and know exactly where Valve's money goes but it doesn't help the narrative does it? Steam is the "Big Bad" and we're all just horrible people. I'm in a phase where I've stopped caring what the media and other social forums say to be honest, i just can't be arsed with it.

I agree with Ge0force , although we've been conditioned to avidly consume social media I'm much happier avoiding 95% of my previous sources and just sticking to here and various Discords. It's much less negative and better for my mental outlook.
I'm playing more games, trying more Co-op games and gradually dragging my sorry ass into being more digitally sociable. I still won't initiate a co-op yet as i "Don't like to intrude or assume" but i'll get over that soon enough.

I mean, I want to try some of my headsets tonight for Voice Chat which i would NEVER have done a year ago!
Solid attempt at a 100% adorbs post. Would read again.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
This is getting to a point where next suit who is getting an interview will say 'Wouldn't it be great if Valve funds our games and then we get 95% of the benefits?', 'Those greedy bastards', 'Who is going to pay for our mansions?'...

Ubi has been delusional for quite some time, reviews-wise except Ass. Creed Odyssey the rest of the games in the last couple of years have been average at best. So :shrugblob:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is getting to a point where next suit who is getting an interview will say 'Wouldn't it be great if Valve funds our games and then we get 95% of the benefits?', 'Those greedy bastards', 'Who is going to pay for our mansions?'...

Ubi has been delusional for quite some time, reviews-wise except Ass. Creed Odyssey the rest of the games in the last couple of years have been average at best. So :shrugblob:
via daxy
Company that sustains itself on microtransactions, sequels, and nickel and diming customers with overpriced editions and pre-order bonuses laments unsustainable business practices. Uh huh.
;)

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I wanna play it so bad myself. ... Still waiting on Switch Lite reviews though, I'm hoping by the Holiday season it will have been in the hands of consumers long enough to determine whether the built-in Joycons will experience troubles or not...?
TBH, I was in a total gaming rut until I got a Switch as a gift. It sounds pathetic, but sometimes the thought of booting my PC or whatever just seemed like too much work, especially since I had to go sit there where it was located and blah blah blah. Picking up the Switch and enjoying 15 min of something was so much easier. Especially when you have no energy or motivation. It's really reintroduced me to what I've always liked about gaming. Either way, games aren't going anywhere, and I'm sure some of us can talk about other stuff too. :nerd-face:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018

This apparently released on Switch today and will come to PC soon. Looks interesting though I don't know if it people will come to it because of Mordhau. I like the artstyle. Don't if Third Person was the way to go.
I am interested in it. Hope it doesn't attract the same shitty people that Mordhau attracts

But Frozenbyte is putting out lots of stuff holy shit. Trine 4 and Starbase soon, this, I think Nine Parchments wasn't that long ago

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
In a world where GOG2.0 exists, I'd have less of a problem with EGS, except that they have already proven that they can't be trusted with having their software installed on my PC. I have literally never heard about a client doing the kind of shit Epic admitted to, without informing you too.

Epic really shows that half the reason Steam works so well, is built on trust. This is true for any digital platform, where I need to believe it won't just up and fold one day. As long as this company is owned by Tencent, run by Sweeney, and having the store run by Galyonkin, yeah. I'm good.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
In a world where GOG2.0 exists, I'd have less of a problem with EGS, except that they have already proven that they can't be trusted with having their software installed on my PC. I have literally never heard about a client doing the kind of shit Epic admitted to, without informing you too.

Epic really shows that half the reason Steam works so well, is built on trust. This is true for any digital platform, where I need to believe it won't just up and fold one day. As long as this company is owned by Tencent, run by Sweeney, and having the store run by Galyonkin, yeah. I'm good.
Yeah it's basically my stance and I've been toying with posting it for some hours. I have little confidence in Valve fabled solution in the case of the company going under. I have -200 confidence about Epic.
Having confidence in the staying power of your purchase on EGS, at full fucking price might I add, feels like madness to me.
And I'm the idiot who bought a digital game on Games for Windows.

I have more faith in UBI than EGS. Let that sink in.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Anytime I am in a gaming rut I always go back and play some classic games. Stuff from the 80s and 90s. And try to play them to completion. Doing so completely rejuvenates my love for the hobby and all the different genres. I been playing the Castlevania anniversary collection this year and beating some of those games is such a joy. Especially the Gameboy games I ran through recently. Kid Dracula and Belmont's Revenge were so fucking good.

Create a category in your steam library for all old school games that you have and dive into them from time to time. Or on GOG, Emulation etc. Its really great and important that stuff like Contra, Castlevania and Mega Man collections are coming out nowadays. Also the Sega Mega drive + Genesis title. All those things are must haves for your steam library imo.

You'll slowly realize its super necessary to do so in order to enjoy the modern day AAA, overpriced and crowded GaaS shitshow that is todays industry. You will get more hyped for future stuff too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
Speaking of Control, release date just changed an hour ago, at last, August 2020 for the Steam release with, prob. the console timed exclusive content (side missions plus boss IIRC)

This actually works out perfect for me. I’m always happiest playing the complete edition of games and this blocks all temptation to buy on release. See ya next year Control + timed exclusive DLC + expansion pack 1/2.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This actually works out perfect for me. I’m always happiest playing the complete edition of games and this blocks all temptation to buy on release. See ya next year Control + timed exclusive DLC + expansion pack 1/2.
correct, that's the same plan for me, I always do the same with the games I know will have expansions for the story as I don't usually go into the same game twice in thr same year, so makes more sense to wait and enjoy all the content at once. :D

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Got Dark Void's mouse sensitivty to work fine for me after a bit of tinkering

Nice texture on Drake's jacket.
Will apply some AO bits later and see if that will work. The game is an UE3 just like Enslaved and its config file has similar settings too including Bloom :p

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Uh, let's see what happens with the first wave of releases on Steam first. I wouldn't put it past publishers to try a fast one and make the games full price.
Cue the flocks of useful idiots: 'but you wanted it on steam', 'it's new on the launcher', 'poor dev has to eat'...

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Yeah exactly. I don't mind EGS as another client, no doubt they'll improve over time. But I'm incredibly disgusted by Epic's anti-competitive and anti-consumer tactics, and by Sweeney's and Galyonkins Tweets, vision and personality.

At this moment, I just want Epic to go away and leave PC gaming alone. What they are doing goes straight against my vision on healthy competition.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The problem with no curation on Steam is that there is so many games I want to play I can't keep up.

Right now Im playing My Friend Pedro and Arizona Sunshine, but just yesterday Until You Fall and Knights and Bikes came out, there is also AoW: Planetfall and Remnant which I really want, but all of those have to wait for a while.

I literally have problem deciding what game to spend my time on because there are so many I think are worthy of my time.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

This can be had for $1 through this bundle

I swear, Groupees has become the refuge of the desperate indies :V

$30 for 2 ye olde classic games? Disney pls tell me that's the retail package price @_@

EDIT: Actually make that 5 versions;

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
IIRC the expansions are also timed exclusive to PS4 for like a month so it makes waiting even easier.

Good to have a confirmation its still coming to steam.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
spent over an hour last night trying to finish uncovering the AC:OD map for the stupid achievment and still cant figure out what i havent uncovered :angry-face:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Until Dawn is a much better game than its meta score.

So hopefully its the same with Man of Medan.

But yea its disappointing to see reviews say its not as good.

The whole anthology marketing was probably a bad idea too.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Until Dawn is a much better game than its meta score.

So hopefully its the same with Man of Medan.

But yea its disappointing to see reviews say its not as good.

The whole anthology marketing was probably a bad idea too.
eh, i don't really care about that ... i'm still super-excited (especially since it seems to be a shorter game ... i like short games :p)

i really do hope they get to make all 8 of them ... fingers crossed

Which is why I'm optimisitc for these shorter ones, scores don't look too bad to me.
yeah, exactly ... same!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Nooooooo.

Man of Medan is apparently not very good (according to review scores), at least not Until Dawn good. Shit.

Well good thing didn't pre-order, but I was really hoping for something as good as Until Dawn.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
another exclusivity timing confirmed (was announced at TGA as Epixclusive)

The first part of the tweet is okay then when it goes to then talking about how it may come to Steam they are starting to lose me and then when they say it's also on PS4 they just lost me completely.

Maybe I will buy the game later but it does feel like they were brushing "you off" especially with that little FYI part. It's not as a bad statement compared to others and maybe I am looking too much into it, but it does feel like it's saying "suck it up buttercup". Sure it's also on PS4 but don't you think people maybe also want to play it on PC as well and preferably on Steam?

Assuming that the article is referring to the 30/70 split (I didn't not see anything on there that alluded to anything else, such as curation and discoverability) then it's bull because the article doesn't even mention how Valve does a revenue split depending on how much money your games bring in.

It makes sense for Ubisoft to call out Valve since 1, Ubisoft has Uplay where it gets 100% of revenue. 2, EGS gives Ubisoft a lot of money (it does also give them a higher percentage) but most importantly it drives traffic away from Steam and other places and directly into Uplay where Ubisoft gets 100% of the money.

What I would find funny is if all of a sudden EGS went to EA and put those games on EGS. Unlike Ubisoft EA left Steam back in 2011/12 and became independent with Origin and because of that they don't need to rely on EGS in order to make up for the money lost in the transition years.

The article also mentions how the cut in theory could help publishers and what not, but in reality Ubisoft is rather greedy and the R6S battle pass is another example of this, why does the game need that in addition to the already exist season pass?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So my FFXIV sub finally runs out, and I was kinda lost at choosing which game to play while I wait for GreedFall in 2 weeks. So I ended up booting up Fallout 3 with some mods, especially with the Wanderers mod to make things fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.