Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Matt (a developer and insider) posted on Resetera that the scale of Sony's moneyhatting will be, and I quote, "shocking".
Insecure capitalist arrogant Sony
I wonder if the PS5 is more expensive than the Xbox Series X and Sony is locking in these exclusives== because they don't want a repeat of what happened with the early life of the PS3?
Just do what Microsoft is doing and funnel money from steam users
I wonder if the PS5 is more expensive than the Xbox Series X and Sony is locking in these exclusives== because they don't want a repeat of what happened with the early life of the PS3?
Just do what Microsoft is doing and funnel money from steam users

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Just how long do you have to idle Hitman 2!? I'm at like 9 hours and still have 4 cards to drop!
Did you ever install free version? You must remove that from account before you can get card drops. (I'd guess this is oversight when Valve disabled card drops for free games).

Reactions: Tomasety and Nabs

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I hope the industry goes after "this third party game is exclusive because it is funded by us" rather than "this game is exclusive because we pay for exclusivity".

If Sony funded a Vanquish 2 or whatever dead game, I would be totally cool with them. But this is obviously not the case here, nor Sony would fund any "presumed commercial failure" in the first place.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I hope the industry goes after "this third party game is exclusive because it is funded by us" rather than "this game is exclusive because we pay for exclusivity".

If Sony funded a Vanquish 2 or whatever dead game, I would be totally cool with them. But this is obviously not the case here, nor Sony would fund any "presumed commercial failure" in the first place.
Unfortunately it's much easier and faster to throw money at something someone already made instead of using the money to make something from scratch.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Sony must be spooked after seeing Xbox go on a shopping spree and buying up a bunch of dev teams.

Its no longer just Halo, Gears and Forza. Now Xbox teams are making a bunch of RPGs and you know Avowed is gonna be good. They also have that Initiative team prepping a big game too. Plus a ton of smaller quality games releasing all the time which benefits gamepass so much.

If MS manages to pick up Warner games...then that could be another 3 or 4 talented dev teams.

Sony will probably go after Kojima Productions or Bungie in response to MS pulling off the AT&T deal. And ofc they will moneyhat more Capcom and Square games like they did this gen. I just hope Sony stays away from doing deals with From Software. You know they are tempted right now to secure Elden Ring as some timed bs thing. That is no doubt the hottest announced multiplat game at the moment.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Did you ever install free version? You must remove that from account before you can get card drops. (I'd guess this is oversight when Valve disabled card drops for free games).
Thing is I've gotten like 3 cards already, but its taking super long! I guess it is because it has so many cards.
😱

Don't idle the damn game! Just play it
Dont have a PC good enough.T_T

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Thing is I've gotten like 3 cards already, but its taking super long! I guess it is because it has so many cards.

Dont have a PC good enough.T_T
If IO hasn't changed the card drop rate since 2 months ago, the current drop rate should be 120 minutes per card.

This is just an assumption by looking at HITMAN™ 2 · AppID: 863550
I think madjoki said previously back then Valve changed things on the back end because many unreleased games were leaking cards info and other things unintentional.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Microsoft having a whole bunch of different studios is definitely a big reason to Sony's new moves, but I expect more current games to be a much, much bigger threat to Sony in general.

I may not care much about them, but Microsoft has found a massive success in the GAAS world, with Sea of Thieves and now Grounded, they have big, popular multiplayer games, and those are by far the most important thing to lock players in an ecosystem... or not quite since they also have Steam's player base, it's the worst of both worlds as far as Sony's concerned.

They may say that they really want to support single player, test focused games, but you bet your ass that's because their multiplayer attempts haven't been so successful, like Street Fighter V.
They'd love of piece of the GAAS pie, I expect more money hats directed toward those, not unlike what they did with Destiny 2.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The Avengers beta makes my PS4P sound like a jet going off and the framerate makes the game feel really janky.

Hopefully the PC open beta is better.

Reactions: Ibuki and yuraya

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Also, Imran on ERA said we will hear "console exclusive" often from Sony next-gen, which seems to imply Sonys focus is to keep Xbox away from games, not PC. Which follows Sonys other exclusive games like Pragmata, Project Athia, Deathloop, Kena etc. as they are also coming to PC day 1 which is good, but sucks for Xbox only players.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Microsoft having a whole bunch of different studios is definitely a big reason to Sony's new moves, but I expect more current games to be a much, much bigger threat to Sony in general.

I may not care much about them, but Microsoft has found a massive success in the GAAS world, with Sea of Thieves and now Grounded, they have big, popular multiplayer games, and those are by far the most important thing to lock players in an ecosystem... or not quite since they also have Steam's player base, it's the worst of both worlds as far as Sony's concerned.

They may say that they really want to support single player, test focused games, but you bet your ass that's because their multiplayer attempts haven't been so successful, like Street Fighter V.
They'd love of piece of the GAAS pie, I expect more money hats directed toward those, not unlike what they did with Destiny 2.
They brought this onto themselves. they had a quite decent Multiplayer/GAAS-focused developer in Sony Online Entertainment. But because they were like "Ugh I get PC-cooties" they underfunded and then sold that Studio.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is what bothers me about all the Sony moneyhats, MS pretty much have to do the same to compete with it and it just creates a world where everyone loses no matter what system they have. But yeah seeing the way some fanboys are behaving I can understand wanting them to get some measure of pushback.
Spot-on. The only way to fight moneyhats is moneyhats of your own while the market no longer rewards customer-facing features but instead business deals and deep pockets. There is no scenario in which the customer wins when moneyhats are involved.

That practice needs to die in a fire.

I've tinkered with Horizon for an hour already and yeah, gonna wait for a week to see if a patch can fix this. If not, refund it is.

Edit: This is worrying though:
That's why we never pre-order video games, not with this industry :(.

I also wouldn't paint Microsoft in a positive light on PC. GamePass is nice value, but that doesn't overshadow UWP, encrypted local game files and a model that is used as an excuse for incredibly shitty prices and regional pricing on Steam. No, I am not over FS2020's 60$ > 70€ conversion.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The Avengers beta makes my PS4P sound like a jet going off and the framerate makes the game feel really janky.

Hopefully the PC open beta is better.
Hopefully the pc version has good mod support with that Tom Braider engine. Spider-man needs to be modded into the game before it releases on Playstation next year 😆

Along with mods for all other missing Avengers characters.

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
That's why we never pre-order video games, not with this industry :(.

I also wouldn't paint Microsoft in a positive light on PC. GamePass is nice value, but that doesn't overshadow UWP, encrypted local game files and a model that is used as an excuse for incredibly shitty prices and regional pricing on Steam. No, I am not over FS2020's 60$ > 70€ conversion.
This is the first time that this is happening. I've refunded multiple pre-ordered games in the past, it always worked.

Hopefully the pc version has good mod support with that Tom Braider engine. Spider-man needs to be modded into the game before it releases on Playstation next year 😆

Along with mods for all other missing Avengers characters.
Is there even a slight chance of modding to happen in an online only service game like Avengers?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Is there even a slight chance of modding to happen in an online only service game like Avengers?
From what I read you can play everything singleplayer and game even has AI teammates. The loot seems to be pointless. Skill upgrades and costumes seem to be the main stuff. I don't know if its always online.

The dream would be custom servers and custom games with mods on pc. But Square would definitely never allow that lol. I don't know much about that engine tho.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Aaron D.
I tried to revive your thread, didn't seem to have worked :(

I really, really would like to play Logistical Earth 3, but 33€ to buy a game blind is a bit much when I am currently not looking for a new game and am playing another game right now. Why the fuck are there no videos of it.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Checked moneyhat thread out of curiosity and oh boy it's full blown console war.
It is always the same.
People that play on the system that buys Exclusives: "entitled pricks, just get over it! No one is entitled to play games on their Platform or on day one!"
People that don't care about the games or are not affected by the gatekeeping on another platform: "entitled pricks, just get over it! No one is entitled to play games on their Platform or on day one!"
People who didn't care about exclusive contracts because it didn't affect them (console warriors on Epic Exclusivity): "This is DIFFERENT! Now it affects me!"

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
P[ay some PC games and ignore the console warriors. I am pretty sure we will eventually get everything that once been an exclusive.

Btw, I recommend Phantasy Star Online 2. That game is so addictive that it even helps me forget problems irl. :cat-heart-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
With how quick regional pricing changes here, I acted fast. Turns out HZD didn't change for me (Unlike you SoT!!)
Good point! And I certainly didn't mean to lord over nor gloat at anyone who had pre-ordered. I'm really sorry for what happened. It's just that I think this makes the case why it's such a loosing proposition.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I don't think this was posted yet?

Sega Emphasizes PC (Steam) and Console Ports After Persona 4 Golden Success, Talking With Platform Holders for New Games

Sega Sammy recently released their Fiscal Year Ending March 2021 first quarter financial results, consisting of the period from April to June 2020 inclusively. Alongside this, an investor questions and answers presentation was held on August 5th, and Sega has released it publicly today.

The respondents for the Q&A were Haruki Satomi (President and Group COO) and Koichi Fukazawa (Senior Executive Vice President and Group CFO). After discussing the strong performance of Steam regarding Sega’s repeat sales for the fiscal quarter—most effective in the West—an investor asked about the recently released Persona 4 Golden on PC.

Q: “Persona 4 the Golden” has been selling well on Steam, but do you have any plans to sell newly released games on Steam as well?

A: We remastered “Persona 4 the Golden”, a title previously sold on the PlayStation Vita, and released it for sale on Steam this fiscal year. Because of the game’s critical acclaim and its low selling price, sales were much stronger than expected. We will continue to actively promote porting previously released titles to Steam and new platforms. We are also negotiating with platform holders for new games in the future, and we’re considering ways to sell under favorable conditions for each title. Among them are measures such as preparing PC versions of the titles from the beginning, with multi-platform releases in mind.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I was thinking which one I should have started. Well, then I learn PSO2 is free to play and releases earlier than FFXIV's free trial expansion...
Both game are quite different and FFXIV can feel really slow after PSO2. If you are newer player go with whatever suits you more :thumbsupblob:

We are also negotiating with platform holders for new games in the future, and we’re considering ways to sell under favorable conditions for each title.
I wonder what this means. Exclusive contract is really a thing?

• Love
Reactions: Cacher

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

The usage of "low selling price" makes me feel like they think they could've squeezed more money out of it at a higher price.
I'm glad they're gonna get stuff on PC from the get-go though. They're just leaving money (and my heart) on the table otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.