Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
government mandates are pretty much the definition of censorship, I still think this sentiment here is a bit weird.
It's mostly that when it comes to legal regulations on other countries works, there's a sense that its an unchangeable absolute decision outside of everyone's hands. For things like localization changes, there's usually nothing so absolute where a change necessarily has to be made. Its easier to be upset at something if it feels less like something that had no other choice but to be done and more like a monetary choice or a desire to be more appealing to an audiences sensabilities. A minor example would be, say, God Eater having its blood reduced and a death scene in Tales of Berseria being changed in localization to try and retain a T rating. These changes didn't have to necessarily be made, and as such they're easier to look down upon from a consumer perspective than, say, something with a legal hammer hanging above. Not to say that governments requiring cut content isn't censorship; it absolutely is. But it's not typically the censorship that gets people up in arms(with regards to gaming) especially since unless you live in the country of said laws there's truly nothing anyone can do.

With publishers of other countries games, there's oftentimes some degree of separation from the original developers and the people localizing the games, so it's easier to view changes in localization as censorship on the publishers part. Not to say that developers don't have any say on these things. They almost always do. But the degree to which they want these changes versus agree to these changes vary just as the circumstances surrounding whatever changes happen with whatever game.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's funny you mention the change in Berseria, because in my mind, the "censored" version is like a million times worse in terms of the violence that's at display. In one version, it's just a sword that's striking his heart (presumably), in the other he gets turned into a human shish kebab.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
It's funny you mention the change in Berseria, because in my mind, the "censored" version is like a million times worse in terms of the violence that's at display. In one version, it's just a sword that's striking his heart (presumably), in the other he gets turned into a human shish kebab.
Understandable! It's definitely probably more painful.
I felt that seeing the killer still holding the blade up close through Laphicet had more oomph to it as the closeness between them made it more personal and was slightly more based in reality rather than the more distant floaty magical death of the overseas version.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I got me a fuckin job! Finally! And this one won't be expecting me to understand all the duties a retiring 20-years-of-experience senior dev had in just three months.

I used some money from my future self to buy a new mobo and CPU! Now I'm ready for Spider-Man! Niiiice...

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I got me a fuckin job! Finally! And this one won't be expecting me to understand all the duties a retiring 20-years-of-experience senior dev had in just three months.

I used some money from my future self to buy a new mobo and CPU! Now I'm ready for Spider-Man! Niiiice...
Congrats! When you've put that new PC together and fired it up for the first time, it'll feel fantastic

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Bloody hell, slightly off topic but i just filled up my car with fuel and it clicked up to £85! Haven't filled it all the way for a while but found a station selling at a very reasonable (not) £1.73 so thought id just see what it takes. Wasn't even on empty.

I could get Spiderman and have some healthy change or drive around for a week.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Bloody hell, slightly off topic but i just filled up my car with fuel and it clicked up to £85! Haven't filled it all the way for a while but found a station selling at a very reasonable (not) £1.73 so thought id just see what it takes. Wasn't even on empty.

I could get Spiderman and have some healthy change or drive around for a week.
yeah, last time I decide to fill up it was just short of £100. Fortunately I am still working from home or that would be most of my gaming budget done for.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
So wait, is this the rerelease of the base P5 game, aka like P4 Golden?

If so, I didn't realize it was announced for Steam. Hard to keep track with all those spinoff titles I have no interest in.

Great news either way.
yes p5r is to p5 what p4g is to p4

Reactions: Tomasety

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
So wait, is this the rerelease of the base P5 game, aka like P4 Golden?

If so, I didn't realize it was announced for Steam. Hard to keep track with all those spinoff titles I have no interest in.

Great news either way.
Is Royal edition.
P5 was PS3/PS4 only game.
P4 was PS2 only game.
p4 golden Vita/Steam and it will be released on all systems (even again on Steam with more languages)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
2 things I have learnt from Persona.

first I appreciate when somebody calls their game Enhanced Edition or GOTY edition. It’s a little dull but I know where I stand. I mean P4 had golden plus 3 spin offs ( 1 dancing and 2 fighting or is that 2 dancing games and 1 fighter). P5 has Royale along with one spin off.

secondly never buy a vanilla persona game. There always seems to be a updated/enhanced edition further down the line.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
You can say that about 90% of all the games that were released in the past ~10 years. Waiting a couple of years for the 'complete' edition + fixes is always the smart thing to do.
I think one significant difference is that Atlus expects you to pay the full price again.

When a development studio which respects their customers does this, it's usually free (e.g. both parts of Divinity: Original Sin, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, etc.) or at least when there is significant DLC involved you can still upgrade for a fair fee (e.g. Witcher 3).

Of course, Atlus goes one step further and doesn't even let people upgrade from the same basic release to a slightly improved version on newer hardware. It's wild what people let them get away with.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Waiting for Two Point Campus on Game Pass. No way I'm shelling 40 bucks for it now.
I loved the first one, but it became repetitive fast, and I while I admittedly didn't read the previews I haven't heard about some game changing aspect.

Nice game for summer though, gimme.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Bandai Namco increased the price of SD Gundam Battle Alliance across various countries: Chile, Colombia, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay. For Turkey, it's the second price increase the game received in the last 30 days. Furthermore, Indonesian customers will now join Brazilians and will have to pay more than US customers for that game.

11bit Studios also has been increased the prices of their games for Argentina, Colombia, Indonesia and / or Turkey.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Bandai Namco increased the price of SD Gundam Battle Alliance across various countries: Chile, Colombia, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay. For Turkey, it's the second price increase the game received in the last 30 days. Furthermore, Indonesian customers will now join Brazilians and will have to pay more than US customers for that game.

11bit Studios also has been increased the prices of their games for Argentina, Colombia, Indonesia and / or Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.