Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sorry, the only way for Square Enix to give more than a flying fuck about their PC ports would be for Sony to finally buy them wholesale.
But that's the thing: someone there did give a fuck about the port. As I said in that (slightly incoherent) post, there are clear indicators of that, and actual work invested that was done for the PC platform specifically.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Yup. I bought it along with Miles Morales on PS5 expecting a good game, and got a boring open world map icon clearing game instead.
Thanks for the warning. I almost bought it at full price, but I strongly dislike Ubisofts repetitive "clear all icons on the map" concept.

Reactions: Tomasety and C-Dub

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
But that's the thing: someone there did give a fuck about the port. As I said in that (slightly incoherent) post, there are clear indicators of that, and actual work invested that was done for the PC platform specifically.
Yes, but obviously they weren't given enough time/resource to finish the job.
And that's 100% on the higher ups at Square.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety
Dec 5, 2018
Then the next surprise: a raytracing setting! What does it do? Hard to say, of course none of the settings have meaningful explanations. What it certainly does is get the GPU power from 120W to 330W in the same scene, that's the most noticeable change. Second most noticeable is that reflections flicker like an anthill, even with TAA. Only with side-to-side screenshot comparisons is it then possible to see that they are, in fact, better in terms of realistically reflecting the scene geometry.
Aha! I was playing the demo but I couldn't really figure out what it did, aside from tanking the framerate. Also the framerate goes all over the place in some cinematics.

Still have to finish it, but the game so far seems interesting.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Realistically, something like DioField is the best you can expect from a Japanese developer that probably isn't playing the games on PC themselves. They did some research, and implemented a few things like covering a large number of native monitor resolutions. Perhaps they just don't trust the idea of getting resolutions from a dynamic list, maybe they weren't aware of such a thing existing. The MSAA thing sounds like a lack of Q&A for the PC port, where the people testing it probably didn't understand what to look for to test if MSAA is working or not. At least I can't see a scenario where the Q&A picks up on it and the dev just doesn't do anything. Even just removing the option all together would be a better look than having an option that doesn't do anything.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Something is really wrong with Spider-Man. I just tried running same section with all upscaling methods and DLAA and performance wise there wasn't any difference. Almost the same FPS no matter what is set in settings.

Then there is this, when i stand still some textures look like this

But when i move camera they get better

And sharpening is destroying some textures and on top of that HUD is actually low res and they did nothing to improve it

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Having finally upgraded my CPU, I can confidently say that Halo Infinite is one of the worst PC ports of any game that I have ever played.
9 months after release, the audio still stutters for me when the game is running at a framerate higher than 60 and when I am on the headphones. I'm not the only one with this issue. Unbelievable.

• Eyes

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Something is really wrong with Spider-Man. I just tried running same section with all upscaling methods and DLAA and performance wise there wasn't any difference. Almost the same FPS no matter what is set in settings.

In the Digital Foundry analysis they do show how the game is very cpu-bound in many places and on many pc configurations, could explain gpu-intensive settings not changing much for fps.

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
In the Digital Foundry analysis they do show how the game is very cpu-bound in many places and on many pc configurations, could explain gpu-intensive settings not changing much for fps.
There should be some change. And my CPU is older (8700K) but utilization is not at the max. And i am not the only one who noticed these issues.

• Eyes

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm 88 hours into Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I feel like I might finally be well into the second half of the game.

There should be some change.
Not really. If you are fully CPU limited then there will by no change at all in performance by changing rendering resolution.
Also, you can absolutely be CPU limited without CPU utilization reaching 100%.

(Note: I'm not at all saying that the game should be CPU limited in those situations. Or that it shouldn't be. Just clarifying how bottlenecks work)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I'm 88 hours into Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I feel like I might finally be well into the second half of the game.

Not really. If you are fully CPU limited then there will by no change at all in performance by changing rendering resolution.
Also, you can absolutely be CPU limited without CPU utilization reaching 100%.

(Note: I'm not at all saying that the game should be CPU limited in those situations. Or that it shouldn't be. Just clarifying how bottlenecks work)
CPU utilization ranges from like 30% to 60% so there should be at least bit more headroom. Or if i am fully CPU limited i should at least see bit more stable framerate with upscaling options. But no matter what i do i get basically similar FPS range and fluctuation. Also in-game FPS limiter just makes game run worse, locking FPS from Nvidia CP results much smoother gameplay.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This is from 2018

But this is the current state of Playstation.

To put it simply, Sony makes good single player games, these games sell well and get a lot of awards/praise.

Sony doesn't make that many multiplayer games, what they tend to do if anything is make a single player game and add multiplayer stuff to it, how ever that is not really good enough.

This is the main reason you have Sony freaking out over the MS buying Activision.

Technically Destiny is now first party so that would be the only online multiplayer game that Sony owns/operates with a huge following.

FIFA will likely have some drop off, I don't play FIFA (I was never a huge fan of it), but I'd imagine that with the licencing that EAs new futbol games will not be nearly as popular?

So the main multiplayer game that Sony has is Fortnite. There are other multiplayer games as well on PS but not that are exclusive or give you a good enough reason to buy a PS5 over a Xbox. Especially when it comes to casual players.

Buy the way this is from years ago but I'm looking for articles from almost 5 years ago talking about the indie apocalypse. In one of those articles they even ask Ysop about his thoughts on it.

You still have indies that release on Steam and don't get noticed at all but you also regularly have those indie games that sell millions of copies, sometimes even within their first month alone on Steam.

If the indie apocalypse is happening or what remains of it, mainly seems to be on the eShop now, until Nintendo gives the eShop a huge overhaul. Seeing how the design was not bad back in 2017 when there were not that many games on it.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The good thing about Genshin is, that it has a clear (and fairly high budget for a gacha game) main questline, so you can actually "finish" the game and move away from it. And then you can come back 3 years later and pretend you're playing a sequel.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The good thing about Genshin is, that it has a clear (and fairly high budget for a gacha game) main questline, so you can actually "finish" the game and move away from it. And then you can come back 3 years later and pretend you're playing a sequel.
Yeah, it's life-service approach is essentially being a single player game that constantly releases DLCs. Which is nice!
I do wish they'd cut down on the FOMO-approach a bit and made event-stories permanent. Get rid of the rewards and event-challenges if you have to, but leave the story). It's all side-stuff so it's not gonna impact the main story, but some of it is very good and new players will only be able to experience it via Youtube, which sucks.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Tried Spider-Man. Don't get the hype. Very weird feeling character controls for a game that has you controlling such an agile super hero. Crawling in vents and stuff is the equivalent of the slow walking sequences in other games. Combat is just Arkham Batman but not as good and I hate having to level everything up. The story is cramming all the fan service it can per minute, going from one big character/villain to the next. Etc. I expected it to be a much better game.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Tried Spider-Man. Don't get the hype. Very weird feeling character controls for a game that has you controlling such an agile super hero. Crawling in vents and stuff is the equivalent of the slow walking sequences in other games. Combat is just Arkham Batman but not as good and I hate having to level everything up. The story is cramming all the fan service it can per minute, going from one big character/villain to the next. Etc. I expected it to be a much better game.
Would you say it’s Spider…Mid

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I have no idea why but switched control templates for Digimon Survive on deck and now button glyphs are showing

Reactions: PC-tan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
And the imperial tonnes of hentai

• Eyes

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I hope we'll get a Venom game or a game where we have symbiote powers at some point

also

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah, it's not a bad thing for "mobile" games to go that route, same for Tower of Fantasy. Play and explore the game if you like it, once you've had enough, just stop.

To me Genshin's big advantage is the "limited" progression, you can roll for better artefacts for ever if you're crazy enough, but you don't need even half decent ones to complete the entire content with full marks, you know exactly what you need to level a character to its maximum right from the bat (even if it takes a little while to get there), and the game has seen pretty much no powercreep after, like, the first character they added.
I like that I can take my first limited character Tartaglia and my fist random character Xiangling like I did two years ago... and that they totally are meta today.

It's a good thing to have a clear end goal that is "easily" reachable even without spending 1 cent, despite all the annoyances of the gacha being in the way it's not too much of a dealbreaker.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Randomly opening a KainXVIII thread reminded me of my childhood on a computer. This lead to rose tinted glasses, a visit on gog, a visit elsewhere for the more abandonware side of things…
And this lead to me getting annoyed at the web erasure of this rich history. Look for retro gaming and chances are you will get console games. I can admit that everything wasn’t wonderful, but I’m sure as fuck my days on atari, amiga and dos were full of fun games (not sure about amstrad).
Now to remember them…
I know I'm many days late but everythings a bit shit and I'm busy.

Atariage is still around but I don't really like it there.
English Amiga Board is still going at it and really popular. Its just as great as ever and I go there most days to keep up with some of the Amiga projects that are based there.
Lemon 64 is still good.

Edit: Plenty of preservation projects exist as well.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Genshin 3.0 trailer, coming August 24th with a looot of new stuff to explore.

Looks absurdly pretty as usual. Also, the music is :sweaty-blob: , also as usual.
:sweaty-blob:
I played when it first released, up until you beat
a big dragon in an arena
I assumed that was the end so stopped playing. Installed it again today in preparation for 3.0, but what the fuck is going on, I can't remember what the story is, all these characters, all these red dots everywhere to claim things without knowing what they are for or if they are good. Completely overwhelming. Going to have a few youtube videos to look at to make sense of things.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Ok I just played Spider-Man on Deck and I tried few things. At 30FPS I was able to push game to 1680x1050 resolution, FSR2.0 on Performance, textures on High, AF to x16, Shadows Very High, LoD on Very High, Crowd and Trafic on Medium and Weather on High. I manually set GPU to 1600MHz, CPU left to be controlled by OS. Zooming around city at night 90% of time if not more it's at locked 30FPS. Combat is also locked at 30FPS. And game looks amazing compare to default settings you get at start. Now I don't know how things will behave at the long run but I pushed things really far and if I need I will tone them down a bit.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What are some good setting for Spiderman to get it at locked at 40fps on Steam Deck right now I just have it at the default settings (mix of low and medium) and ive tried to limit the fps to 45 (the insomniac setting has 45 as an option but not 40.

Ideally I would like the game to look nice, be a locked 40fps and be able to play for at least 2 hours on a charge. With the setting that I have right now. It looks like it will last about 1:45 hours long, which is not bad actually. How ever during traversal it is not a locked 40fps and instead I will sometimes get dips of 30-34 fps.

• Eyes

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
What are some good setting for Spiderman to get it at locked at 40fps on Steam Deck right now I just have it at the default settings (mix of low and medium) and ive tried to limit the fps to 45 (the insomniac setting has 45 as an option but not 40.

Ideally I would like the game to look nice, be a locked 40fps and be able to play for at least 2 hours on a charge. With the setting that I have right now. It looks like it will last about 1:45 hours long, which is not bad actually. How ever during traversal it is not a locked 40fps and instead I will sometimes get dips of 30-34 fps.
Use a hammer

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have a 10,000yen monthly quota on video games purchase. I just checked the price of Soul Hackers 2... 9,878yen for the regular version. Even at 50% discount it would still cost around 5,000yen.

For comparison, recent indie titles like Cult of the Lamb or Stray cost 2,500 and 3,500 yen respectively. Jesus christ what the fuck is wrong with you companies.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I have a 10,000yen monthly quota on video games purchase. I just checked the price of Soul Hackers 2... 9,878yen for the regular version. Even at 50% discount it would still cost around 5,000yen.

For comparison, recent indie titles like Cult of the Lamb or Stray cost 2,500 and 3,500 yen respectively. Jesus christ what the fuck is wrong with you companies.
10,000JPY for the standard ed? Thats nuts, hahaha. I know Japan is the most expensive region, but a hundred bucks for the base game is just extortionate.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
10,000JPY for the standard ed? Thats nuts, hahaha. I know Japan is the most expensive region, but a hundred bucks for the base game is just extortionate.
To be fair JPY deprecated really hard in the past few months, so 10k yen is only 75 bucks... But that's not the point haha. Seriously 10k yen on one single game is absurd.

I may write a longer post on the state of gaming in Japan. In short, PC gaming is expensive here and it is definitely one of the factors why many people are playing on consoles instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.