Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
These

This software constantly shows me different loads and temps

now it shows me these

Im using "CPU TEMP" but its all in that range 40-60
Hmm, those temps are fine. It's a bit confusing at first why the idle state with lower power draw has higher temperatures, but I guess it's because the current fan profile basically goes super quiet and only starts up once the load goes higher.
Perhaps that's the reason why you see that warning in the BIOS, where the fan profile stays at a low RPM state for a time until the CPU hits like 80 or 90 degrees and thus the BIOS believes it's overheating.
I'd say you don't have anything to worry about though.

I ran Geekbench while looking at the temp and it actually reached 100.
So i guess i do have an issue afterall
Oh, ok, that's not good then. At sustained load, it should never actually hit 100, that's what the fans are for. Maybe you didn't apply the thermal grease properly and thus it's not cooling the CPU effectively? You might still be fine in games, as most games don't really utilise the CPU as much as a synthetic benchmark can.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hmm, those temps are fine. It's a bit confusing at first why the idle state with lower power draw has higher temperatures, but I guess it's because the current fan profile basically goes super quiet and only starts up once the load goes higher.
Perhaps that's the reason why you see that warning in the BIOS, where the fan profile stays at a low RPM state for a time until the CPU hits like 80 or 90 degrees and thus the BIOS believes it's overheating.
I'd say you don't have anything to worry about though.

Oh, ok, that's not good then. At sustained load, it should never actually hit 100, that's what the fans are for. Maybe you didn't apply the thermal grease properly and thus it's not cooling the CPU effectively? You might still be fine in games, as most games don't really utilise the CPU as much as a synthetic benchmark can.
Yea, i just reapplied the thermal paste and obviously reseated the cooler in the process, one of these two things fixed it.
Warning disappeared during POST and the thing is now 20 degrees cooler in the benchmark.

I'm getting too old for this. :AnnoyedKawakami:

Thanks for the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it! :h02kissy:

Now to mop away all the blood i spilled because of the IO shield

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Yo! I recently started playing Starcrawlers!

Let me tell you, what a treat of a game! I originally heard of it when I tried out Conglomerate 451 a while back, which I liked, but the combat was overly complex and really badly explained. A few of the reviews of Conglomerate 451 mentioned Starcrawlers instead, so I decided to take a chance this summer sale!

It's really cool! A dungeon-crawler in a sci-fi/space/cyberpunk setting, where you run secret missions for the various evil corporations. And yes, there is a hacking minigame (which doesn't suck). It is clearly inspired by the old Shadowrun on Genesis/Megadrive hacking minigame.

It was a steal during the summer sale, and is an easy recommend from me!

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Yea, i just reapplied the thermal paste and obviously reseated the cooler in the process, one of these two things fixed it.
Warning disappeared during POST and the thing is now 20 degrees cooler in the benchmark.

I'm getting too old for this. :AnnoyedKawakami:

Thanks for the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it! :h02kissy:

Now to mop away all the blood i spilled because of the IO shield
I once fried an old AMD Athlon because the cooler was not seated correctly. Thankfully these days CPU's just downclock. Enjoy your new PC !

• Eyes

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Its a shame that these publishers cant just use the steam recommended pricing.. always have to fuck it up
I dont even mind not following the Steam recommended pricing to the letter, honestly. Fine, give the price a modest bump if you need it, maybe they feel that Valve isn't proactive enough about re-evaluating their price guidelines.

But this is a fair bit larger than a modest bump, thats literally worse regional pricing than 2K and Electronic Arts (edit: bad math, I was wrong) if you compute by percentage (in my region, at least). That's completely nuts.

Those of you who are on my Steam friends list know I buy a pretty healthy amount of games, I'll be the first to admit I can still afford to buy stuff like this even with a price hike. But I'm definitely not representative of what the average PC gamer here in the Philippines can swing. These pubs need to realize that paying for games on PC here isn't a universally upheld idea - I know some people who roll around all day in expensive cars and live in opulent mansions, but refuse to pay for PC games on their badass PCs, because they can just steal it all anyway. The more they shit on the actual honest folks who bought into the Steam ecosystem due to its convenience (the more reasonable price they paid outweighed the inconvenience of actually torrenting it), the more they'll push them right back into not giving them a dime.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
It's Spider-Man day !
Some people say that the early unlocks are deactivable, good new for freaks like me.
I would like a new PC to push Spidey, all the Sony ports, err, Cyberpunk too, and others.
But I don't have the money, well more like it would be unwise, and more importantly, I can't imagine building a PC in the temps we have.

How did you do it, comrade Hektor ?
What dark magic did you use ?

• Eyes

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah thats unfortunate.. the game was priced more then Cult of the Lamb and Super Bullet Break.. :sweaty-blob:
Looking at the price history it changed from 250 NOK to 176 and then to 145 and now to 72 NOK
yeah, it's really sad :( it went from $25 across the board (so no regional pricing, just 1:1 everywhere), to $25 with proper regional pricing, to $20, to $10 now

and the worst part is that it's not even a bad game, just maybe not exactly worth $25

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and Satori

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I now have a Spidey key and no more advanced on the new PC front.

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying.

• Sad

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I now have a Spidey key and no more advanced on the new PC front.

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying.
Make a daily budget after all the bills are paid. Like for me I don’t have much money so I have a daily budget of 5€. If I want to buy something for 10€ I need to wait one day. And so on.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Elden Ring will sweep the goty awards and deservedly so (it's my goty right now) but as an SMT fanatic my list will probably have Soul Hackers 2 at the top.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
It's Spider-Man day !
Some people say that the early unlocks are deactivable, good new for freaks like me.
I would like a new PC to push Spidey, all the Sony ports, err, Cyberpunk too, and others.
But I don't have the money, well more like it would be unwise, and more importantly, I can't imagine building a PC in the temps we have.

How did you do it, comrade Hektor ?
What dark magic did you use ?
I did it nekkid ofc

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I did it nekkid ofc

Edit.
I'm sorry people. I hate speedy gifs. I'm annoying myself.
...I think it's on brand.

On that note, where did the pause function went in firefox ? I swear a decade ago you could pause a fucking gif.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Hoping we will see a new Darksiders during the upcoming THQ stream in a few hours. They need to continue the story after that hyped ending of 1.

• Eyes

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For those of you who are interested in in FFXIV free trial, but don't want to party up, then from the 23rd of August you will be able to get to the end of Heavensward without having to play with another person. The trust system is expanding in to Heavensward. By the end of they year you will be able to play the entire story part of the game solo.

Also for those who have completed Endwalker, the Island Sanctuary will become available. It is looking like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley in an FF setting.

As to my game of the year. It can only be Vampire Survivors. Only game, outside of FFXIV, that I have put far too many hours into and keep coming back to. Although after finding myself enjoying the savage content in FF I may give Elden Ring a try or at least reinstall Dark Souls to see if I can get any further than previously.

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
That feeling when you know you purchased a game but can't remember from which store...just happened to me with Spiderman. I knew I preordered it but it wasn't there on my two go-to places being Greenman and Fanatical. Thought I was going insane since I didn't receive an email telling me the key is available. Welp, I bought it over at Gamersgate so now I can stop freaking out :face-with-tears-of-joy:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
leaked Alone in the Dark revival sounds promising, it's a loose remake/reimagining of the original 1992 game in the style of the modern RE games with a story by the writer of SOMA and Amnesia 1

OK this does sound promising. I like the idea of two storylines and that it is being styled after the newer Resident Evil. But to be honest they had me at a (the?) story writer for SOMA.

Anyway, In honour of the release of Spider-Man on the PC I think I will watch "Into The Spiderverse". The best Spider-Man movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.