Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Sea of Stars always looked great, and now with the reviews coming in great I think it's a given that I'll probably play it eventually.

But some weird part of me is actually the most curious about the fact that it's a prequel to The Messenger. I doubt it's anything super important to the plot but I'm still curious.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Not sure I care about the stronger focus on story, with cutscenes and lots of NPCs babbling about. Kinda felt the "less is more" approach of the first game worked better. But ultimately I'm just playing for the puzzles, and it seems there's still going to be plenty and with lots of new tools too.
yup, can't wait! i'm soooooo excited for this one!

Reactions: MegaApple

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
There were talk about Metal Gear Solid 3 (?) analog controls a couple days ago, are they really not reproductible on an xbox controller ?

• Doubt
Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh hey, Basilisk Games aren't dead (but they certainly have loads more crpg competition to stack up to nowadays, it's no longer just Spiderweb Software, lol).

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
There were talk about Metal Gear Solid 3 (?) analog controls a couple days ago, are they really not reproductible on an xbox controller ?
Not an emulated PS2/PS3 version.

It’s definitely possible to rejigg the controls to play nicely with an Xbox controller, but that would need to be its own version of the game, which is how Konami did it on Xbox 360 and Vita. They essentially need to reprogram the functionality and adapt it to a controller that doesn’t have the DualShock 2/3 features.

The game uses pressure sensitive face buttons for weapons and the knife when grabbing an enemy, and it’s a feature which modern controllers don’t have. And depending on the weapon used, the pressure sensitivity works differently.

Try to play the PS2/PS3 versions of MGS3 without a PS2/PS3 controller and you lose the ability to holster your weapons, and using automatic weapons becomes near impossible. You also can’t properly interrogate enemies with the knife as Snake kills them instantly.

The Xbox 360 version of MGS3 has slightly different controls for pistols and automatic weapons so the functionality is restored. It’s very likely this version that was ported in the Master Collection. It’s also the most ideal candidate for emulation should the Master Collection be a shitshow.

Other games affected by this are the PS2, PS3 and OG Xbox versions of MGS2. Fun fact, the OG Xbox controller (both Duke and S Controller) have pressure sensitive buttons.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Also I'm wondering how good Starfield performs on the Deck.

I didn't bother transferring BG3 to the Deck since the battery life wasn't good at all based on all the benchmarks I saw online. And the genre in general is something I want to do with M/KB.

But with Starfield being optimized for consoles/Series S and overall being a game that has a lot less stuff happening on screen at once compared to BG3....maybe the Deck can push 3-4hrs with it. There is a lot of barren empty planets in the game and just running around those areas will probably keep FPS/battery much more steady (maybe lol). So I wonder if Starfield will be one of those titles you pick up your Deck and land on a empty planet to start building outposts. It would be a good side-way of playing the game while you are afk. And then on PC you do all the other demanding/crazy things with it like story, mods etc.

The update, titled Starfield 1.7.23, includes a number of fixes across the game as well as the addition of the virtual keyboard for those playing on Steam Deck.

Speaking of the Steam Deck, the document Insider Gaming received touches on compatibility.

“Starfield will run on both the Steam Deck and the ROG Ally with the correct drivers, but the
hardware below the recommended minimum specs and performance may suffer,”
it says.
Sounds like it'll work, but it won't be a great experience.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Starfield review time is going to be painful to sit through. I'm already bracing myself for the industry to mass excuse every problem they would crush any other game for having. You can already see it in spoiler threads with some leaked footage. I watched a clip of the player attacking a random NPC and it has the same 2008 animations and reactions/AI the other games had and everyone was like haha there's that bethesda feel.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here dumbstruck thinking about all the other games that got viciously crushed by the internet for having a couple bugs or a bad facial expression here or there (like mass effect andromeda) and how inexcusable it was for a huge publisher to put out that kind of effort in a AAA game.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Starfield review time is going to be painful to sit through. I'm already bracing myself for the industry to mass excuse every problem they would crush any other game for having. You can already see it in spoiler threads with some leaked footage. I watched a clip of the player attacking a random NPC and it has the same 2008 animations and reactions/AI the other games had and everyone was like haha there's that bethesda feel.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here dumbstruck thinking about all the other games that got viciously crushed by the internet for having a couple bugs or a bad facial expression here or there (like mass effect andromeda) and how inexcusable it was for a huge publisher to put out that kind of effort in a AAA game.
Oh what you mean like redfall? Lol

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Fairly certain this is a new thing so you'd want to most likely opt out (Don't know why you'd not) but this got turned on for some reason for a lot of people when grabbing giveaways since subscribing was a requirement but I never saw this pop up

Posting this here as well

It's under Orders and settings then Subscription settings

Reactions: lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I understand the hype for SF but I ain't preordering or paying 60+, I haven't in years and won't start now. I feel like this may be their least buggiest game and I still gonna wait. Just gonna wait till tech becomes better and maybe more affordable + GOTY bundle.

Reactions: xinek and inky

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I played all Bethesda games at release (or in the period) since Morrowind.
Did some animations here or there break? Sure. Is the ragdoll since Oblivion a bit shit? Sure. Did the "radiant quests" of Skyrim not work so well? Sure.

But if you think Bethesda games are really buggy, despite the insane amount of interaction you can have with the world (imagine that, physics and every single NPC having their own little routine instead of being statues in empty cities), you must not have played a lot of games.
Hell, I'm playing Ratchet: Rift Apart right now, and the amount of times I got "crushed" in invisible walls, or just boosting up stairs is ridiculous.

And there are games that actually crash all the time and are chock full of game breaking bugs. Or erase your save constantly (I had that in two games this year!).
Or they are Stalker: Clear Sky, which I have never completed to this day, even with fan patches and mods, because nothing ever worked in this game. Now that's what bugs are. And I hope Stalker 2 won't follow the model...

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
But if you think Bethesda games are really buggy, despite the insane amount of interaction you can have with the world (imagine that, physics and every single NPC having their own little routine instead of being statues in empty cities), you must not have played a lot of games.
I'll give you that they are interactive worlds but the reactivity of those worlds is non existent. I believe it was the late TB that coined the phrase "large as an ocean but shallow as a puddle" to describe BGS games, Skyrim at the time, and it perfectly describes the problem their games since Oblivion have.
They are sandboxes to play around but not simulated worlds. All the little NPC routines are pointless because they don't react to the player or your actions, they keep doing the same thing over and over. All systems exist as dressing to a static and non reactive world.

If you enjoy the perception of freedom to do whatever you want and break things then more power to you and enjoy the game, but please don't try to make them sound like something more than the shallow diversion they are.

Reactions: xinek and Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think bad facial animations is the least of Andromeda's problems. I played it very late and didn't really encounter many bugs -- the game's main issue is that it's mostly generic and forgettable.

I'm not saying that Internet criticism is at all rational (as someone who is a Dark Souls 2 fan I can hardly do that), but people will be more forgiving of games they enjoy more. So if they end up enjoying Starfield more than they did e.g. Andromeda, then criticising the former less for essentially the same things is what will happen, regardless of who developed the games.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I'll give you that they are interactive worlds but the reactivity of those worlds is non existent. I believe it was the late TB that coined the phrase "large as an ocean but shallow as a puddle" to describe BGS games, Skyrim at the time, and it perfectly describes the problem their games since Oblivion have.
They are sandboxes to play around but not simulated worlds. All the little NPC routines are pointless because they don't react to the player or your actions, they keep doing the same thing over and over. All systems exist as dressing to a static and non reactive world.

If you enjoy the perception of freedom to do whatever you want and break things then more power to you and enjoy the game, but please don't try to make them sound like something more than the shallow diversion they are.
I was talking about the potential it has for bugs.
Not going to say that Bethesda games are some kind of life changing, choice based RPG. But calling a non reactive world could not be more wrong, and factually so. There's a colossal difference between what the engine can do, and what you're even talking about, it's not like NPC AI is going to freak out about you wiping out a city, hell, they don't even know you.
Sure there could be a huge simulated memory system, gossip spreading around and propaganda from your ennemies. But that's like asking for things like NPCs being able to realize that you put a basket on their head to rob them blind. We're totally going to get that in videogames, sure. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

People actually hate games where your consequences have actual consequences because it means removing content available to the player. Because in videogames, what people think is consequences, is actually a basic ass script that changes availability, and at best does a model swap (in this situation, I think especially of New Vegas and how pointless the entire main plot and factions are - you can choose! To do the same thing with a different coat of paint).
And even then, people love to wank over Trails NPCs having an extra line of dialogue after main story points, as if it did anything.

Reactions: xinek

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I think I globally agree with Line but I ’played’ Daggerfall on release. I think that warrants all the asterisks. Every one. In the universe.

• Toucan
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Bethesda ate so much shit for Fallout 76...they can honestly use a pass this time around. This is a new ambitious ip. No need for all the toxicity and negativity. The haters can skip a turn and be back for Elder Scrolls 6.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Bethesda ate so much shit for Fallout 76...they can honestly use a pass this time around. This is a new ambitious ip. No need for all the toxicity and negativity. The haters can skip a turn and be back for Elder Scrolls 6.
Is it really a new IP though? It looks to be the same thing again just in space this time. This is like calling elden ring a new IP, I mean sure by the textbook definition it is but come on lets be honest that was really just dark souls 4 lol.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
People actually hate games where your consequences have actual consequences because it means removing content available to the player. Because in videogames, what people think is consequences, is actually a basic ass script that changes availability, and at best does a model swap (in this situation, I think especially of New Vegas and how pointless the entire main plot and factions are - you can choose! To do the same thing with a different coat of paint).
And even then, people love to wank over Trails NPCs having an extra line of dialogue after main story points, as if it did anything.
I always find the "consequences" part of "choice and consequence" to be the least important, because if one is extremely reductive (like you are being) then sure, it never means much. But the real beauty in games like New Vegas is how it allows the player to get to discover and understand the world in their own terms. No faction is just "evil", they all have their own motivations, and to some extent relatively good points for why their way is the right one. The player has to decide what choice feels best to the kind of character they are playing, and no matter what you do, there is no perfect ending. Each faction has massive issues, even the supposedly good guys the NCR, and it's mostly about what types of values appeal most to you (or specifically your version of the Courier)

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
I’ve bought Sea of Stars for 23,73€ at Gamivo (tax+paypal service fee) with AKS-AUGUST10 discount code

it’s few cents cheaper on kinguin with AKS12 code but I used that code on other order so I couldn’t redeem it again.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What would happen on Deck if I limited the watts too much ? Crash ?

Asking because as I seem to have too much time and life I started emulating Picross S on Deck. Which would be glorious without some rare crashes (but hey, emulation) and the Deck completely flipping and draining the battery while having a fan crisis. Limiting FPS didn't seem to do much but setting the TDP at 5 watts seems to have done the trick.
But now I'm morbidly curious to lower it again. For science.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So Mimimi is closing due to health issues, not financial reasons?
It's more nuanced than that. They also say they don't expect to grow their niche enough to be profitable on another project.

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
So Mimimi is closing due to health issues, not financial reasons?

Ultimately, I think Shadow Gambit didn't do so hot, and making games like that only to scrape by is probably not something they enjoy anymore. They tried a lot of new things with SG (maybe in the hope of making the game sell more) but I fear it didn't really work in the end, and now even if they came back to make something exactly like Desperados III it's very unlikely it would do much better. I feel they realized there was no point in wasting 3 or more years on another game without actually seeing results

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
It's a shame, I really enjoyed Shadow Tactics and the spin off.

Status
Not open for further replies.