Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is UAC on Windows a protection that can theoretically be useful or not ? I'm not too fussed about saving one click, but when I'm launching multiple apps that need confirmation it can get old.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think the problem with Mimimi's games was the real-time tactics. It's pretty rough out there for RTS-like strategy games.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The page is unreachable now. Didn't get to read it.

Mimimi’s Final Game
Dear community, team and industry,
It is with a heavy heart that today we have to share the news that Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew will be Mimimi’s final game.
As we look back at our 15-year journey crafting games (and crying about it), we feel grateful for the incredible love and support we received from all of you. We cherished every game we made and feel proud of what we were able to accomplish as a studio.
At the same time, dedicating the past decade and a half of our lives working on increasingly ambitious games took a heavy personal toll on us and our families. After the release of Shadow Gambit we decided it was the right time to prioritize our well-being and to pull the brakes instead of signing up for another multi-year production cycle.
While this means that we won’t start production on a new big game, we will continue to fully support Shadow Gambit. We are already working on a patch across all platforms and have a big content drop planned for later this year, which we are sure you will love just as much as we do!
This also means we will be slowly ramping down the studio over the next few months. We shared this decision with the whole team at an on-site meeting before releasing this announcement.
We will be doing everything in our power to support our team, and we are now starting to reach out to our friends in the industry to find suitable new jobs for all Mimimis. If you have open positions and are interested in hiring our amazing talents, please get in touch via hiring@mimimi.games.
Thanks to the recent launch of Shadow Gambit, we are also able to pay out a bonus to all employees to help them during their transition.
We want to thank our community and fans for playing our games and engaging with us. Your joy and support were what fueled our passion!
We want to thank our industry peers that helped us along all stages of this company, from founding it to self-publishing for the first time. Your mentoring was pivotal for our success!
We want to thank all our business partners, especially Kowloon Nights, THQ Nordic and Daedalic Entertainment, as well as all external partners and companies that have worked with us. Also, thanks to both the Bavarian regional games fund FFF Bayern and the German games grant of the BMWK. Without the funding, skills and assistance from all of you, this journey wouldn’t have been possible.
And, most of all, we want to thank the whole team and everyone who worked with us in any capacity on these games. You made Mimimi what it was!
We are now focused on delivering the additional content for Shadow Gambit and fulfilling our duties as Managing Directors of the company – to our team, our fans and our business partners, in the most supportive way we can.
And while we don’t know what the future will hold for the both of us, we still love video games.
We had a really good run and we are truly grateful for all of this!
Thank you!
Dominik and Johannes
Why is this happening?
Making these games was amazing and extremely taxing at the same time. Reaching the level of quality Mimimi strives for is hard and requires focus and dedication. We also have to acknowledge that our future production costs are growing faster than potential revenues of our genre. The increased financial pressure and level of risk became unsustainable. Additionally, whenever our games got close to release and were finally fun to play, a new fight for funding of the following projects started, making this a continuous cycle.
Since 2011 and pitching The Last Tinker, there never was any down-time for either of us.
As founders and directors, we found it increasingly difficult to strike a balance between fulfilling internal expectations for the studio and being available for our young families. Meeting our goals of quality, company culture and management requires a constant level of energy that we simply can’t provide anymore.
Ramping down the company and making Shadow Gambit our final game is an extremely tough decision. We never expected this would be how Mimimi ends. But if even one of us were to break down, fail or burn out, the situation would escalate quickly. Ultimately, managing a production on this scale, in combination with an extremely competitive market, proved to be too taxing for us.
In light of all of the above, we decided to pull the brakes.
Why not change the genre?
Working in a new genre would increase risks and stress-levels across the whole team even further. It’s already hard enough to make great Stealth Strategy games, and we are simply lacking the experience of working on other genres.
Will I still be able to buy your games in the future?
Yes. All our games will remain available on all platforms.
Didn’t you receive the German games grant for developing this game?
Yes. We are incredibly thankful for the opportunity, without which this game wouldn’t even exist. With help of the grant of the BMWK, we delivered an excellent title that you can play for many hours and which surely will be played for many years.
Developing and self-publishing this game was an amazing experience and the whole team learned a lot and achieved a milestone in their career!
Can I rent your awesome office? Can I buy your high-quality furniture and hardware?
Yes, please get in touch.
Thank you for reading and caring!
Posted August 29, 2023 by Johannes Roth
via Google Cached view

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I can't see these and the full links aren't in reply, what's up?
Heres the article: Eurogamer and Starfield

And the tweets:

Tom Philips (Eurogamer editor) tweeted:

I'm sorry you won't be able to read a Starfield review on Eurogamer this week - we're still waiting for a copy, unlike many other sites. It's a situation we've not faced in some time.
and someone commented a quote from the article:

"A separate delivery of Starfield code was provided to [Digital Foundry]. However, this was provided alongside instruction to me by Bethesda that no other parts of Eurogamer were granted access. This was an unprecedented request..."

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I always find the "consequences" part of "choice and consequence" to be the least important, because if one is extremely reductive (like you are being) then sure, it never means much. But the real beauty in games like New Vegas is how it allows the player to get to discover and understand the world in their own terms. No faction is just "evil", they all have their own motivations, and to some extent relatively good points for why their way is the right one. The player has to decide what choice feels best to the kind of character they are playing, and no matter what you do, there is no perfect ending. Each faction has massive issues, even the supposedly good guys the NCR, and it's mostly about what types of values appeal most to you (or specifically your version of the Courier)
Yes, we could talk about the exploration aspect and how the discovery (and hidden options are important there) affect the player's experience, that's absolutely something New Vegas (among others) do well.

But in this situation, it's.... a bit rough, because their motivations are ultimately fairly simple, and here I'd say that New Vegas going with such a fucked up (if interesting) faction as the Legion removes a lot of potential from it.
Because they are, 100% from start to finish, no matter what Caesar says, completely and irredeemably evil. More than half of the people they outright conquered with force of arms are slaves that die in a few years, and their approach to diplomacy is to lie and backstab (like the Khans, barely used) at best, or just outright genocide all opposition.
It's hard to compare with the NCR that is corrupt and cause serious economical damage, and how their ideology has spread and slowly swallows the rest of the old US while removing all the various cultures that spawned after the war (and also the fact that with each game we can clearly see that the NCR will ultimately overtake all of North America, bar a civil war, you can't really create a puppet faction like the Legion and make it a credible threat long term, their economy and industry were strong enough to kick out the BOS decades before New Vegas - they might yet be a minor power in Vegas, but lore wise, it is just inevitable and I'm curious what they'll do with it).

There's a tiny bit of a difference in how bad they are, and I would call it absurd to even try to "both side" them. The real life parallels are interesting, however.

But gameplay wise, I was more talking about how it ends up really flat, since you get the same missions no matter your side... and it's not like it was even needed.
Without talking about smaller factions, the Boomers are just a complete non factor and just one dimensional. Even the BOS offshoot is a simple choice between "we don't like outsiders, fuck off and collect mcguffins in 4 dungeons" and "we don't like outsiders so fuck off gently, collect 4 mcguffins in 4 dungeons", let alone the nice super mutant fan service... that is irrelevant for everything...

Because ultimately, if if you have to roleplay as any character you want... cool, but that's the case in any game really.

Ironically, Fallout 4 had actually far more interesting factions that were not one Manichean archetype each, and in this one you really had to go far to know everything about them, as everyone would openly lie to you, willing or not. And the factions themselves were not nearly as united as they appeared, and were full of spies and traitors.
Way more interesting than Mr House and his libertarian policies that only go so far.

Reactions: Mivey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
What would happen on Deck if I limited the watts too much ? Crash ?

Asking because as I seem to have too much time and life I started emulating Picross S on Deck. Which would be glorious without some rare crashes (but hey, emulation) and the Deck completely flipping and draining the battery while having a fan crisis. Limiting FPS didn't seem to do much but setting the TDP at 5 watts seems to have done the trick.
But now I'm morbidly curious to lower it again. For science.
I don't really do Switch emulation so I can't say much about it with the Deck.....but I've done as low as 3 TDP playing FF pixel remasters and a few other low demanding games. Honestly I wouldn't go that low because you do start seeing some fps hangups/slowdowns. I've found 5 being the sweetspot for just about everything that isn't gpu demanding. You can do 4 as well but most of the time there is barely any difference for battery life too between 4 and 5 so both are very similar. And the FPS is more likely to be stable at 5 than 4 from my experience (depending on the game). So you should probably just keep it at 5. But again I don't really follow Switch emulation so you should do that additional research.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Oh SHIT!

New Grim Dawn Expansion coming in 2024!

The key art for the expansion doesn't look horrible

This is from the grim dawn reddit so you can read it if you want but it expands on the information more:
Main Features in Fangs of Asterkarn:

• Ascendant Game Mode: new difficulty, if you are playing endgame now it'll be on that level, with new rewards; like Veteran mode on Normal rather
  • A Transformative 10th Mastery: berserker with shapeshifting to beast modes, two shapeshift forms, from items too; not just shapeshifting but melee magic too; focuses on cold and bleed; "Dreadblade" is one mastery combo name
  • New Chapter: head west to rugged wilderness of Asterkarn, forest, caverns, snow regions, also hotter areas ...
  • Potion Customization: what ingredients for effects, containers, two potion slots
  • Affix Transmutation: meet an inventor to allow reroll affixes and seed
  • Crucible Expanded: 30 additional waves, new loot
  • The Shattered Realm Grows: expanded with new boss arenas, etc., to to realm 90 with loot
  • Discover Hundreds of New Items: more MI for older monsters too
  • Awaken Epic Items: can turn epic to legendary, make them viable for endgame (procs, modifiers, etc)
  • Two New Factions
The New Mastery is a Beserker and they're primarily melee focused but they can do a lot of other things as well with magic (Shape shifting, etc)

If you've never played Grim Dawn before there's 9 other Masteries (Classes) but that means you can have a beserker + 9 different things when you reach the level to multiclass so it gets pretty awesome for customization

The expansion is coming sometime in 2024 and the 1.2 patch that is a giant swath of quality of life changes to the game in general is opt in to test right now. It will be available to people before the new expansion launches.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Picked up Sea of Stars, wasn't really gonna buy it due to a number of different other games I wanna play and Starfield soon, but getting 17% off or whatever it was due to owning The Messenger was pretty great.

Reactions: C-Dub and Kal1m3r0

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! rickyson33 is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Aug 30, 2023 at 8:07 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

bought a bundle and already own this one

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yes, we could talk about the exploration aspect and how the discovery (and hidden options are important there) affect the player's experience, that's absolutely something New Vegas (among others) do well.

But in this situation, it's.... a bit rough, because their motivations are ultimately fairly simple, and here I'd say that New Vegas going with such a fucked up (if interesting) faction as the Legion removes a lot of potential from it.
Because they are, 100% from start to finish, no matter what Caesar says, completely and irredeemably evil. More than half of the people they outright conquered with force of arms are slaves that die in a few years, and their approach to diplomacy is to lie and backstab (like the Khans, barely used) at best, or just outright genocide all opposition.
It's hard to compare with the NCR that is corrupt and cause serious economical damage, and how their ideology has spread and slowly swallows the rest of the old US while removing all the various cultures that spawned after the war (and also the fact that with each game we can clearly see that the NCR will ultimately overtake all of North America, bar a civil war, you can't really create a puppet faction like the Legion and make it a credible threat long term, their economy and industry were strong enough to kick out the BOS decades before New Vegas - they might yet be a minor power in Vegas, but lore wise, it is just inevitable and I'm curious what they'll do with it).

There's a tiny bit of a difference in how bad they are, and I would call it absurd to even try to "both side" them. The real life parallels are interesting, however.

But gameplay wise, I was more talking about how it ends up really flat, since you get the same missions no matter your side... and it's not like it was even needed.
Without talking about smaller factions, the Boomers are just a complete non factor and just one dimensional. Even the BOS offshoot is a simple choice between "we don't like outsiders, fuck off and collect mcguffins in 4 dungeons" and "we don't like outsiders so fuck off gently, collect 4 mcguffins in 4 dungeons", let alone the nice super mutant fan service... that is irrelevant for everything...

Because ultimately, if if you have to roleplay as any character you want... cool, but that's the case in any game really.

Ironically, Fallout 4 had actually far more interesting factions that were not one Manichean archetype each, and in this one you really had to go far to know everything about them, as everyone would openly lie to you, willing or not. And the factions themselves were not nearly as united as they appeared, and were full of spies and traitors.
Way more interesting than Mr House and his libertarian policies that only go so far.
I actually really like the Legion. Like, yes, they are 100% evil, but Ceasar was so well done, compared to what you would normally expect for such a role in a video game. His basic premise is that it's pointless to try to restore our old world order of (somewhat liberal) democracy, as that old world order led to the destroyed world around you. Instead, he is looking further into the past, namely the Roman empire for how to create an empire that lasts and hopefully does not end with the world getting destroyed. I also can't hate on a character that cites fucking Hegel to justify his actions, even if they are admittedly pretty awful. So maybe this is just due to me being a philosophy nerd and falling in love with the writing, but even the game's seemingly most simple faction is actually still really damn interesting.

I agree that the mission structure is ultimately very samey, but that is really only true for the main story. When you consider the myriads of side quests that you can find in many different ways and give you tons of options, it's hard for me to really call the game simplistic.

I think it is also worth considering that this was Obsidians first take on a truly open world game with the kind of reactivity that their games usually go for. I find it easy to forgive some issues like that, and hope Obsidian gets the chance to make another Fallout game at some point. Now that it's all under the Microsoft umbrella, there is at least a remote chance of that happening.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Here's the official post on it by crate

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
One thing that I will be doing in Starfield will be looking at these 3D weapon and costume models for hours. Just insanely detailed. It is easy to tell the artists really put their effort during the past 7 years into making these.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Here's the official post on it by crate
Grim Dawn's never really clicked with me in a "I want to play this over and over again and dig into endgame stuff" sort of way like some other ARPGs have but it's probably my favorite in the genre as far as just world feel exploring through it as a one off, looking for secrets, reading the lore books etc goes so always nice to see a new area

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021

Delayed but I don't mind because this year seems pretty stacked already.

But now Eiyuden Chronicle and Suikoden remasters are probably releasing next year. 2024 LETS GOOOOOO!

It would be nice to pick up F/Samurai Remnant as my 1000th game, but at $90 it's a bit much for me. :flare_think:
Do it for the waifus.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
Feels somewhat similar to inXile, Double Fine and Ninja Theory, who also probably would've gone under eventually had MS or someone else not picked them up.
Maybe they just didn't want to get acquired by a big corpo but if I was Phil Spencer these are the kind of low risk/medium reward deals I'd make. You get a "prestige" developer for peanuts who can consistently release bangers for Gamepass. Sure, they won't make the next Fortnite but let them keep iterating and maybe they'll stumble into something special eventually. That's how you cultivate studios like Larian and Fromsoft.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Picked up Sea of Stars, wasn't really gonna buy it due to a number of different other games I wanna play and Starfield soon, but getting 17% off or whatever it was due to owning The Messenger was pretty great.
I'm having so, so much fun with Sea of Stars.

And I'm kinda annoyed now that they never got to officially translate Chained Echoes to Spanish instead of having to rely on a third party deepl translation patch that almost got lost to time because the main fan translations website said goodbye a few months ago. And that I can't use on the Switch where I'd want to play it.

Reactions: Cacher

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I made an OT for Starfield. I've never done one of those before, so if anyone has some suggestions/additions, please let me know! I couldn't sleep tonight, so needed something to zone out doing. I went with a popular thread title that wasn't used on Era, but if anyone has something better I am happy to change it. Finally, if someone else was working on one already, I'm sorry! I can delete it.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
September is shaping up to be an insane month for JRPG (also include some late August releases). Is your wallet and gaming time ready for this?
Honestly, I'm only interested in MSF's Deluxe Edition content (Assuming they aren't just generic wallpapers), and based on Rune Factory 5 being abandoned by Marvelous without a single patch in sight, I don't feel confident enough to buy RF3. The other games look good.

Honestly both Marvelous (Although they have the added baggage of refusing to make new entries in several game series) and IFI have such a bad track record on PC with no plans to fix their act, which makes it incredibly easy not to support them.

Marvelous also essentially gave up on patching RF5's issues when Lyall and I essentially worked together to patch the majority of issues with the PC release of the game. It took them a while to even patch No More Heroes 3 to be in line with the PS5/XSX/MS Store versions, and they still haven't patched NMH1+2 either. Virtually none of the Senran Kagura games have had patches.

From my time testing MSF's PC version, emulate the Switch version instead or play them on PS4. Less bugs and port jank, runs at full speed on the Deck, no janky looking Xbox 360 era prompts that clash with the UI, and video playback actually works on the Steam Deck. I'm not gonna be fixing any new IFI PC ports from now onwards, especially with 2 and Finale's ports where there's fundamental issues that would require porting them from Square 1. Preferably using the PS4 version source code. I tried to help, but it's clear they don't want it.

On another topic, this is an orange flag if I've ever seen one. Any game with this warning usually launches in a poor state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher and Durante

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sorry but I had a long insomnia followed by a very late sleep, I draw a blank right now. What’s MSF ?

• Hug
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.