Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2018
The crowd that buys core focused games is not getting larger anywhere,
But that's my point, budgets are a problem because you can't make them back (and then some) so you either expands your audience or you lower your budget. Problem is the first can only go so far and the latter means that generally the games will sell less (not always).
And this is leading us to companies making LESS but more expensive games/AAA games and if they're live service hit all the better (although it's getting harder and harder to break it there) E; This applies mostly to AAA companies (the ones being discussed here).

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Budgets are only a problem now because they have eclipsed game sales. Historically this was not an issue because as budgets rose game sales also rose steadily but they have mostly stopped, and this is something that affects not just exclusives but games on 3-4 platforms too. Think about it we're still in an industry where a 10m seller is seen as rare and if you break it you did amazing, but we had games 10-20 years ago breaking that milestone while budgets were a tenth of what they are now. Yet even games on 3+ platforms routinely struggle to break that margin. Everyone (especially in PC centric places) likes to say that consoles have stagnated but the same is true on steam too. The crowd that buys core focused games is not getting larger anywhere, they're all being herded to f2p games that never die.
There are more games than ever being released on a daily basis and there's 40 years of released games to choose from when you want to play something, of course if you only focus on a very narrow subset of games, the one that sell multiple millions of copies, it looks like the medium is stagnated when in reality there are more players than ever spending more cash than ever, they are simply spread out over a larger landscape.

F2P is the tip of the iceberg and even if it magically went away tomorrow the impact in B2P game sales would be minimal.

The problem is budgeting according to expectations and chasing the increasingly diminishing returns of graphical fidelity.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I'm lttp on this (backlogs yay) and I'm saying nothing profound that hasn't been said before but Ghostwire Tokyo is ok.

It is very much one of the games of all time.
It is a highly ok game.
It graduated in mid with a C from average university on an overcast day.

Yeah I might not finish it; it's got great style but little else.

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Damn, the hardware is absolute fire. Now all it needs is a way to cleanse it from the terrible OS that is Windows ( come on, Valve) and this would be a serious Steam Deck competitor.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I wonder when those people will realize that if a Playstation player buys a Microsoft game for $70 then Sony gets $20 and Microsoft gets $50.
You know what is fucked up?

With the current accounting method of Sony and Microsoft for digital games. (100% of the sale is "revenue" in the books and 30% (minus active costs) is profit.
(lets go with a 100 dollar game for easy math!)

When Microsoft sells a game on Playstation for $100:
Microsoft will get a revenue of $70
Sony will book the game as $70 Revenue and $30 Profit
The Console market now has a booked value of $170 from a $100 game.

This shows the rise in revenue (and abysmal profit) for console makers in a strange light.
The more the digital ratio shifts, the more ghost revenue is going into the books of Sony and Microsoft, the bigger the Console market is touted by fanboys. While the userbase shrinkage is getting ignored.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I will make a long-term prediction on how things will play out in the console space. Microsoft opens up its platform and releases its games on Playstation. Microsoft tries to get Game Pass on Playstation, Sony blocks it. Antitrust lawsuit against Sony who is now a monopoly in the 'high-performance' console space. Sony loses, is forced to let in Game Pass and/or allow third-party stores.
MS is always about the long game.

Reactions: Alexandros

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

My interest actually went down after this because it just seems like the first game again. The only new thing I saw in this entire video was a RDR 2-like feature where you can say something nice or mean/sarcastic to passerbys who say something to you which is neat and all but...that's it? They've been working on this for over 5 years and there's really not much to show for it.

• Sad
Reactions: Lashley

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Found the gameplay loop boring as hell, just not my style
Are any of these third party ones better than a deck?
This ones seems to improve on the deck. It has some some small improvements (dual stage triggers, 2 USB-C ports, hall-effect sticks) while retaining the trackpads. The boy drawback seems to be that It doesn't ship with steamos

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Are any of these third party ones better than a deck?
From a hardware point of view I find they are better.

However they don't have STEAM OS on it (hopefully fixed in the future) and Windows 11 and (in the case of the ROG Ally) Armoury Crate is functional at best. I tend to use my Steam Deck a lot more than my ROG Ally. But this also comes down to the games you play on it, my Steam Deck is more an indie games machine.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
I will make a long-term prediction on how things will play out in the console space. Microsoft opens up its platform and releases its games on Playstation. Microsoft tries to get Game Pass on Playstation, Sony blocks it. Antitrust lawsuit against Sony who is now a monopoly in the 'high-performance' console space. Sony loses, is forced to let in Game Pass and/or allow third-party stores.
I think Sony being marked as a Gatekeeper under the EU DMA is more likely. Forcing them to allow other stores on their platform.

Reactions: Alexandros

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
70€ for Until Dawn lmao
Sony gave it away on PS+ like 7 years ago lol.

I love the game but no way is it worth more than 20$ imo. Its like 6hrs long.

Just saw the gamescon opening thingie, little weird seeing Peter Molyneux BUT Masters of Albion does look kind of fun.
It looked kinda fun until it zoomed in on the 3rd person jank gameplay. And then it looked like some very low quality discount store Valheim. So yea it still needs a lot of work but most likely it will be bad.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I love the game but no way is it worth more than 20$ imo. Its like 6hrs long.
Not suggesting it's worth anything near 70, but isn't the point of this kind of game that you can play it multiple times to see different versions, based on who lives and who dies? Admittedly, I never followed the games, but it seemed the player could actually "mess up" at times and have characters die and survive based on their choices

Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
My interest actually went down after this because it just seems like the first game again. The only new thing I saw in this entire video was a RDR 2-like feature where you can say something nice or mean/sarcastic to passerbys who say something to you which is neat and all but...that's it? They've been working on this for over 5 years and there's really not much to show for it.
Every feature is improved. Combat animations are much better. New blacksmithing. Two completely new maps, new 100+ hour story, elaborate nonlinear quests. New DX12 renderer. Not much to show for it? Don't be ridiculous.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Not suggesting it's worth anything near 70, but isn't the point of this kind of game that you can play it multiple times to see different versions, based on who lives and who dies? Admittedly, I never followed the games, but it seemed the player could actually "mess up" at times and have characters die and survive based on their choices
There is definitely replay value as with all the Supermassive games. But ymmv.

This game is way too old to be full price. I guess they are justifying it with the remaster but it just looks a brighter version of the original.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Every feature is improved. Combat animations are much better. New blacksmithing. Two completely new maps, new 100+ hour story, elaborate nonlinear quests. New DX12 renderer. Not much to show for it? Don't be ridiculous.
I watched the 20 something minute video and everything looked the same. They say they improved the combat but it looks 100% the exact same as the first game, just as janky and painful to use as it was in that. Most of what they talked about in the video like merchants blocking you if you haggle too much was in the first game too. I feel like the VA was worse than the first game but that could just be my memory making it seem better than it really was.

Things like a new map and story is expected from any new game lol Blacksmithing is the only new feature you mentioned. I dunno I just expected more from a 5-6 year wait.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm curious if people ever really talk about the divide between PC and PS often. And if people realize just how different the game preferences on each are.

Look at the top 10 games on Steam and top 10 on PS.

You would think that Sony would try to push Wukong more (as an example) but when you look at PSN, they are not pushing Wukong, rather they are pushing the new Call of Duty.... Which fair enough at the end of the day Sony will likely make more money out of Wukong and while people in the more "immediate" gaming sphere may have at least heard of Wukong by now. Your average John Smith (insert what ever people outside of the US picture an average "joe" looks like) doesn't pay to much attention to any of that but rather walks in to his local GameStop (if there is still one near him) and asks what the new popular game is and blah blah blah.

The main point I'm trying to make is that even in the US Wukong is the top selling game on Steam, on PSN it's number 3. But if you look you will not that at least on Steam that you have at least 1 other game on there that is not a live service game or a sports game or GTAV (is Civ a live service game now?)

Also Ubisoft must be desperate. Okay maybe they are not desperate but just a reminder that on PSN you can pay to advertise your game it's called a "sponsored spot" right now Star Wars Outlaws has said spot. And it's part of their "what's hot category ".

Valorant seems to be in the top spot there and that seems to mainly be from younger people that don't have a gaming PC. So looks like Valorant is growing. So I can that Riot can now "boast" about their player count and say it's higher than CS. Last I recall CS still had a month player base that was 30%-50% bigger than Valorant. So with all those people maybe it's now closer to 20%?

Other disclaimer, there seems to be a trending tab for PSN. In the trending tab Wukong is number one (which in doesn't make much sense to me)

Other information that I would like more context on are the metric for PSN user scores. Right now on PSN the game has almost 26k reviews globally on PSN and sits at a score of 4.66

Meanwhile on Steam it has over 208k reviews and sits at a 96%.

Since we are more familiar with Steam reviews, we already know that having that many in such a short time is a great thing and shows how well the game as done.

I guess for reference we have FFXIV which released over a year ago sits at 4.52 with over 28k reviews.

Stellar Blade has over 51k reviews and sits at a score of 4.83

There doesn't seem to be mention of Stellar Balde having sold over 2 million on PS5 and we are also hearing about how devs expect the PC version to sell better than the PS5 version.

Now let's look at FFXIV, it's sold over 5 million units but yet it's review numbers aren't that high? So I'm not sure if compared to Steam that PSN reviews are a good gauge of anything. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the reviews are artificially higher than they normally would be since people went out of their way to review the game in a positive light because of of anti DEI stuff.

Or who knows maybe Stellar Blade is just better than FFXVI in every possible way and that's why the review score is lower despite having sold more.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Wukong nearing 300k user reviews in just a few days since launch lol.

Elden Ring and Cyberpunk needed like 6+ months before they reached 400k.

Really shows just how much of a massive Steam launch this was.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
One of the things that I genuinely feel like I am on crazy pills about is the whole controversy around Wukong.

There seems to be two points to it.

Point one is that the devs? Have some some stuff in the past? I'm still not sure what all the things they are being questioned about. But it looks like some people view them as problematic.

Now the second part, which I am very confused on is the whole DEI thing. I am watching this one video about how successful the game has been (they use the concurrent number thing and say the source of the information was Steam. That's kinda funny to see, some one listing Steam as the source of their information.

So the Chinese news story says that the game for "slammed" for not being diverse enough. Slammed by who? Just one individual? One news outlet? A bunch of games journalist? By who's exactly? Later in the video they talk to this one guy and he says he has heard about some controversy and it having to do with LGBTQ issues. So what exactly are these issues.

You do have the usual suspects of that one ex blizzard guy that is saying "in your face sweet baby". Which once again just confuses me. With that that has to do with this game.

People keep saying things but I feel like it's either made up and nobody fact checked it. The only thing that I do recall was that Screen Rant may have had something to do with it. At least after release of the game, but not about the stuff from before the game released.

Reactions: Gintaro

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Point one is that the devs? Have some some stuff in the past? I'm still not sure what all the things they are being questioned about. But it looks like some people view them as problematic.

Now the second part, which I am very confused on is the whole DEI thing. I am watching this one video about how successful the game has been (they use the concurrent number thing and say the source of the information was Steam. That's kinda funny to see, some one listing Steam as the source of their information.
Point one is from this IGN article: https://www.ign.com/articles/how-black-myth-wukong-developers-history-of-sexism-is-complicating-its-journey-to-the-west

Point two, the sweet baby thing is just a rumor AFAIK, and the usual "rage media" ran with it. The diversity thing is indeed from the Screen Rant review, that the "rage media" also ran of course. https://screenrant.com/black-myth-wukong-review/

Another controversy is the email streamer guideline thing. The Black Myth: Wukong ‘No Feminist Propaganda, No COVID-19 Discussion’ Email Is Real

That's about it really.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Point one is from this IGN article: https://www.ign.com/articles/how-black-myth-wukong-developers-history-of-sexism-is-complicating-its-journey-to-the-west

Point two, the sweet baby thing is just a rumor AFAIK, and the usual "rage media" ran with it. The diversity thing is indeed from the Screen Rant review, that the "rage media" also ran of course. https://screenrant.com/black-myth-wukong-review/

Another controversy is the email streamer guideline thing. The Black Myth: Wukong ‘No Feminist Propaganda, No COVID-19 Discussion’ Email Is Real

That's about it really.

So minus the IGN article, everything else has been misinformation then .

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I watched the 20 something minute video and everything looked the same. They say they improved the combat but it looks 100% the exact same as the first game, just as janky and painful to use as it was in that. Most of what they talked about in the video like merchants blocking you if you haggle too much was in the first game too. I feel like the VA was worse than the first game but that could just be my memory making it seem better than it really was.
Animations are significantly improved, lot less sliding on the ground. Every weapon now has its set of animations, too. Every hands-on preview I read said the combat feels lot better to play.

Things like a new map and story is expected from any new game
Sure, but that's also what takes most time to create. Especially with nonlinear RPGs where every quest has multiple ways to do it. So I still find your "not much to show for it" comment to be crass.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
FINAL FANTASY XVI PC Demo Version Update 1.01

An update has been released for the FINAL FANTASY XVI PC demo available on Steam and Epic Games Store, introducing a number of improvements and adjustments to the game.

Improvements have been made to DLSS, FSR, and XeSS quality.
This should help to alleviate various graphical issues such as blurring (DLSS/XeSS) and pixelation (FSR).

The following issues have also been addressed:
  • Dynamic Resolution being locked on the lowest setting.
  • Enemies not appearing properly in certain battle content.
  • Graphics not displaying properly on certain stages.
  • Graphical tearing in certain instances when using borderless screen mode.
  • SFX not playing properly under certain conditions.
  • UI not displaying properly under certain conditions.
  • Screen resolution changing under certain conditions.
  • Rare instances of GPU crashes.
  • Other minor issues.
We are currently aware of instances of stuttering on certain PC environments, and are investigating the issue.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
I'm curious if people ever really talk about the divide between PC and PS often. And if people realize just how different the game preferences on each are.

Look at the top 10 games on Steam and top 10 on PS.

You would think that Sony would try to push Wukong more (as an example) but when you look at PSN, they are not pushing Wukong, rather they are pushing the new Call of Duty.... Which fair enough at the end of the day Sony will likely make more money out of Wukong and while people in the more "immediate" gaming sphere may have at least heard of Wukong by now. Your average John Smith (insert what ever people outside of the US picture an average "joe" looks like) doesn't pay to much attention to any of that but rather walks in to his local GameStop (if there is still one near him) and asks what the new popular game is and blah blah blah.

The main point I'm trying to make is that even in the US Wukong is the top selling game on Steam, on PSN it's number 3. But if you look you will not that at least on Steam that you have at least 1 other game on there that is not a live service game or a sports game or GTAV (is Civ a live service game now?)

Also Ubisoft must be desperate. Okay maybe they are not desperate but just a reminder that on PSN you can pay to advertise your game it's called a "sponsored spot" right now Star Wars Outlaws has said spot. And it's part of their "what's hot category ".

Valorant seems to be in the top spot there and that seems to mainly be from younger people that don't have a gaming PC. So looks like Valorant is growing. So I can that Riot can now "boast" about their player count and say it's higher than CS. Last I recall CS still had a month player base that was 30%-50% bigger than Valorant. So with all those people maybe it's now closer to 20%?

Other disclaimer, there seems to be a trending tab for PSN. In the trending tab Wukong is number one (which in doesn't make much sense to me)

Other information that I would like more context on are the metric for PSN user scores. Right now on PSN the game has almost 26k reviews globally on PSN and sits at a score of 4.66

Meanwhile on Steam it has over 208k reviews and sits at a 96%.

Since we are more familiar with Steam reviews, we already know that having that many in such a short time is a great thing and shows how well the game as done.

I guess for reference we have FFXIV which released over a year ago sits at 4.52 with over 28k reviews.

Stellar Blade has over 51k reviews and sits at a score of 4.83

There doesn't seem to be mention of Stellar Balde having sold over 2 million on PS5 and we are also hearing about how devs expect the PC version to sell better than the PS5 version.

Now let's look at FFXIV, it's sold over 5 million units but yet it's review numbers aren't that high? So I'm not sure if compared to Steam that PSN reviews are a good gauge of anything. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the reviews are artificially higher than they normally would be since people went out of their way to review the game in a positive light because of of anti DEI stuff.

Or who knows maybe Stellar Blade is just better than FFXVI in every possible way and that's why the review score is lower despite having sold more.
The majority buy a console to play the same games each year: COD, FIFA and GTA
been posted

• Sad
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.