Community MetaSteam | August 2024 - What a peaceful moment in the countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I think replacing the Civ that you keep the whole game with a leader that you keep the whole game is Civ 7 trying to have it both ways here. You now pick a leader for the game and pick "civs" as you go along. Kinda inverts the priority of those two things IMO but I'm down to try.

I wonder if this means I can have Ben Franklin leading Egypt or Something like that lol.

Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
A number of Chinese outlets seem to be reporting on the game. I can't remember if it was on here or on era but the fact that some people supposedly were given the day off if they had pre-ordered the game is pretty wild.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Take it with a big grain of salt because I can't find what they methodology was and what data they used to come up with these results.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
It's not just plus, it is becoming necessity.
It's unreal how many still advocate for exclusivity (including pc exclusivity) despite clearly seeing how high budgets are getting. It should be in everyone interests to make games available on as many platforms as possible, and it's also a way to maximize launch profits. But I guess being a console warrior is still more important than actually see the userbase grow

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
People on Era are truly delusional when Sony is in question. They all are mocking Microsoft for releasing games on PlayStation but in my opinion MS is just going ahead because AAA development is becoming unsustainable even as multiplatform.
I will make a long-term prediction on how things will play out in the console space. Microsoft opens up its platform and releases its games on Playstation. Microsoft tries to get Game Pass on Playstation, Sony blocks it. Antitrust lawsuit against Sony who is now a monopoly in the 'high-performance' console space. Sony loses, is forced to let in Game Pass and/or allow third-party stores.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Dungeons of Hinterberg is a lot better than I expected, despite the bit of jank.

So much variety put into one game, and mechanics that really work together, it's fun to come back to town after a little dungeon to enchant new gear, improve charms with materials and for the social interactions to not last forever each time.
The game is well paced, that's a rarity nowadays.

But I think it really benefits from being a 3D Zelda-like, something that just... does not exist anymore. When was the last time we had one, Oceanhorn 2 (which was quite bad and had piss poor controls)? Hob? So many of them now are more souls-likes with block pushing at best.
It's just an empty field, from indies and big publishers alike (including Nintendo...).

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Saw a bit of that Shapez 2, and it looks pretty good. Very relaxed but also gets pretty tough puzzle-y like a factorio or almost a Zachtronics game. Though maybe not all the way into that territory. Looms pretty fun.
I've got some hours into it and I can absolutely vouch for it. One of the most polished factory games I've played in ages.

Laying down belts, copy/pasting, creating blueprints is so fast, fluid & intuitive. (I remapped camera rotation to Q & E.)

Presentation & UI is top-shelf for the genre. Goal progression with unlocks & upgrade system give meaningful purpose.

I've been looking forward to this one since the Steam Next Fest demo sometime back, but it's easily surpassed my expectations.

This thing is the real deal for genre fans and I fully expect it's legacy to ranked among the elites (Factorio, Dyson Sphere, Satisfactory, etc.)

(Sorry for the hyperbole!)

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Take it with a big grain of salt because I can't find what they methodology was and what data they used to come up with these results.
They have no way to know this, and never trust a survey which doesn't explain it's methodology. I would assume they just counted the number of Steam reviews or something and made a guess. And the tweet was made at about 9AM UTC which is late night in America, early morning in Europe and late afternoon in Asia so of course the numbers would skew one way. Regardless of the actual split, it's obvious the game is and will be more popular in China. Of course, people are using this 'data' to spread their ignorant and/or xenophobic views. If the total is 2 million and 90% are Chinese then "the real number" of players is 200,000. Because of course, Chinese people aren't real and don't matter. So they get to mask their ideological disdain by downplaying the success of the game based on 'data'.

People on Era are truly delusional when Sony is in question. They all are mocking Microsoft for releasing games on PlayStation but in my opinion MS is just going ahead because AAA development is becoming unsustainable even as multiplatform.
I wonder when those people will realize that if a Playstation player buys a Microsoft game for $70 then Sony gets $20 and Microsoft gets $50.

And then there's the prevailing attitude that Xbox games going to PlayStation is a loss for Microsoft but PlayStation games coming to PC is a win for Sony because they make more money.

Think Im going to buy Civ7 already... I know its not out for awhile, but I do want it to sit there in my steam library just waiting,
GMG has it for 15% off with their monthly coupon but I assume they won't have keys until closer to release so you can save money but you won't be able to stare at it in your library :p

Last edited:
Reactions: yuraya

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Xbox is in this position because of their own doing. They neglected their first party for over a decade and they also neglected to sell the system in any place outside of the US, while sony pushes to at least try to appeal to new markets like india and china (asia in general really). You have to spend money to make money and MS refuses to spend money on anything but acquisitions. They don't even fund their games properly, most of their releases are extremely unpolished and even when they appear high budget, like hellblade 2, there's always heavy asterisks involved like being a 8 hour download only budget title.

They also created gamepass which is one of the biggest own goals in the industry's history. Subs are inherently useless in this industry because casuals mostly play f2p games (btw this is the real threat to this industry's health, not rising budgets) and it trains the core gamers who are still in their ecosystem to not buy games and wait for them to appear on the sub. You can argue the biggest reason they're in this mess is because of gamepass.

MS doesn't understand gaming and never has. They have a notorious history of passing on games that went on to become juggernauts somewhere else, the business suits in charge of xbox don't know how to find and pick games that may resonate with people because they've never had a real interest in gaming. Their entire reason for creating xbox was just to counter sony's rise to power with the PS1. From the start they never had a real plan to get into gaming and grow.

Reactions: yuraya and xinek

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
If people don't buy games (i.e play f2p, of which some have higher budgets than big AAA games)... how are rising budgets not a problem ?
Budgets are only a problem now because they have eclipsed game sales. Historically this was not an issue because as budgets rose game sales also rose steadily but they have mostly stopped, and this is something that affects not just exclusives but games on 3-4 platforms too. Think about it we're still in an industry where a 10m seller is seen as rare and if you break it you did amazing, but we had games 10-20 years ago breaking that milestone while budgets were a tenth of what they are now. Yet even games on 3+ platforms routinely struggle to break that margin. Everyone (especially in PC centric places) likes to say that consoles have stagnated but the same is true on steam too. The crowd that buys core focused games is not getting larger anywhere, they're all being herded to f2p games that never die.

Status
Not open for further replies.