Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
PC Gamer is going all in with the promotion of Epic Games, and it's store.
On twitter alone, they already posted 6 (?!) tweets today directly or indirectly related to Epic Games:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1072533746652467201
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1072302470745997313
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1072491345045000192
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1072355332364660736
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1072466091153256448

And on related news, another exclusive launch for the Epic Games Store, that was previously announced as a Steam launch: Maneater, by Tripwire Games.

Another game I will gladly skip. Especially coming from Tripwire, a publisher that, after stating that Killing Floor 2 would not have any microtransactions, and would only have DLCs, decided during Early Access to go back on their word.
I wonder if there is a documentary or an article covering the things Tripwire did during KF2 development because it was a huge mess. Imagine my interest in Maneater :p

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

==============

I'm starting to worry about the lack of info regarding this game. No updates since August. I can only hope they've been hard at work and delaying any updates so that they can surprise us with big news eventually?

I guess I'm getting a little worried cuz they did say Full Release would be Q1 2019. We're really close...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm starting to worry about the lack of info regarding this game. No updates since August. I can only hope they've been hard at work and delaying any updates so that they can surprise us with big news eventually?

I guess I'm getting a little worried cuz they did say Full Release would be Q1 2019. We're really close...
the gif mentions backers, so i'm guessing it was kickstarted? so they stopped posting backer updates or something?

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
the gif mentions backers, so i'm guessing it was kickstarted? so they stopped posting backer updates or something?
yeah, the last update seems to be August from what I can tell.
In the comments some people say they get e-mail updates every other month, but it seems like spam filter or other such troubles could be blocking those e-mails for many other people. o_O

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

In the comments some people say they get e-mail updates every other month, but it seems like spam filter or other such troubles could be blocking those e-mails for many other people. o_O
I was a backer, and I receive those emails.
I can't tell you exactly when I got the last one, since I'm not at home, but it was probably last month or so.
Instead of using Kickstarter updates, most of their updates come from direct email updates.

From what I recall, the game is coming along fine, and they have been showing new enemies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I don't even know what to take from this. Fairly sure the games that are on Epic Games Store won't be available on another store, that was the whole point of it, was it not?
No, supposedly the point of the store was to compete with Steam and be more developer-friendly. Currently it's not really competing being exclusivity != competing, but almost all of the currently exclusive games have either said they'd be available other places (Steam) "later" or 12 months or "sometime". I think Satisfactory is one that has explicitly stated they won't be on Steam?

There's no contract I have seen that Epic has where the 3rd party devs can't go elsewhere, it's just really suspect and bad for consumers that all these exclusives happened and a number dumped Steam in the process.

If the only edge your store has over another store is exclusives, that doesn't encourage the other store to compete except with exclusives of their own. Currently, Steam also has no mandate that anyone on Steam has to remain exclusive (quite the opposite with the key generation), but if that's the only kind of "competition" Epic offers that could change.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
What game is that? I like the art style. Makes me think I'll die and hate it if I ever play it.
Game's title is Blasphemous.

I was a backer, and I receive those emails.
I can't tell you exactly when I got the last one, since I'm not at home, but it was probably last month or so.
Instead of using Kickstarter updates, most of their updates come from direct email updates.

From what I recall, the game is coming along fine, and they have been showing new enemies.
Oh, that's great to hear! Do you think they are still on track for Q1 2019 though?

Deleted member 113

Oh, that's great to hear! Do you think they are still on track for Q1 2019 though?
I'll be honest: I only gave the last updates a quick look. :giggle:

But, from what I recall and seen, if the game is not Q1 2019, it should be Q2 2019.

When I arrive home, I'll try to copy and paste that last update, and I'll send it to you through PM.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Indie game development isn't smooth sailing for everyone. Some will take longer time due to personal obligations and maybe even reworking elements.
As a rule of thumb, the prettier the indie game being developed, assume the longer it will take til release.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
And on related news, another exclusive launch for the Epic Games Store, that was previously announced as a Steam launch: Maneater, by Tripwire Games.

Another game I will gladly skip. Especially coming from Tripwire, a publisher that, after stating that Killing Floor 2 would not have any microtransactions, and would only have DLCs, decided during Early Access to go back on their word.
Yet another game for the ignore list. I won't buy games that go this route, even if they end up coming to Steam 365 days later.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
Indie game development isn't smooth sailing for everyone. Some will take longer time due to personal obligations and maybe even reworking elements.
As a rule of thumb, the prettier the indie game being developed, assume the longer it will take til release.
So, McPixel must have taken five minutes. 😂
Post automatically merged:

After playing on my 24" / 1080p / 144hz monitor, it's become normal again. I don't miss playing on my 4K television. I'm content.

Last edited:

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
No, supposedly the point of the store was to compete with Steam and be more developer-friendly. Currently it's not really competing being exclusivity != competing, but almost all of the currently exclusive games have either said they'd be available other places (Steam) "later" or 12 months or "sometime". I think Satisfactory is one that has explicitly stated they won't be on Steam?

There's no contract I have seen that Epic has where the 3rd party devs can't go elsewhere, it's just really suspect and bad for consumers that all these exclusives happened and a number dumped Steam in the process.
Well, my question with the tweet was if games would be resold on other stores to be activated on EGL, something I really don't think they will be which makes his answer weird? I guess they will be sold on other storefronts after a year, but not as EGL keys. Time will tell though.

And I'm certain that Satisfactory is also a year exclusive, only that Coffee Stain didn't know if they were allowed to tell for how long it would be exclusive. We'll hear more in some days when they'll have their qna.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Didn't know the old republic was still getting content,
launch trailer for Jedi under Siege

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Humble just suspended my account immediately after making a purchase. I used the $5 coupon I received after the Call of Cthulu price mistake was revoked. I used PayPal for checkout. No idea why or how this happened, but I guess be careful when using your coupon if you have the same one.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
That seems to be somewhat common issue for those who have received a refund from Humble Bundle. So I guess support will fix that in time.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA

Looking better and better if this is true
I guess this can be removed from the 'feature list' for the Epic Games Store, since the refunds don't actually work as advertised. People were already annoyed by the 2 refunds + 1 per year system (rightfully so) but this is not a good look.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Looking better and better if this is true
So basically they refunded only after taking things to social media, such competition, right.
Honestly, at this point I'm much more annoyed at the dishonesty involved around this whole store launch, than buying up the exclusives (though I still dislike this practice).

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Well, my question with the tweet was if games would be resold on other stores to be activated on EGL, something I really don't think they will be which makes his answer weird? I guess they will be sold on other storefronts after a year, but not as EGL keys. Time will tell though.

And I'm certain that Satisfactory is also a year exclusive, only that Coffee Stain didn't know if they were allowed to tell for how long it would be exclusive. We'll hear more in some days when they'll have their qna.
I haven't heard any noise about devs being able to get keys for Epic store, so my assumption is that they cannot (is there even a key entry thing there right now? I thought there might be for Fortnite promos or something). I thought that Tweet was more a reference to whether devs could go to Steam / GoG / Itch as well, which barring any official or under-the-table exclusivity deals (which it feels like there were) they would be able to.

Deleted member 113

I don't want to post more crap about the Epic Games store, since I have no desire to use it, nor support the developers who will be releasing exclusively on the platform.
But, about the later, and since I've read comments by people who are under the assumption that Hades will only be exclusive to Epic's store for a short period, while it's in Early Access, Greg Kasavin just confirmed to Kotaku that the game will be exclusive for at least a year and a half:

https://kotaku.com/epics-game-store-is-already-locking-down-exclusives-1830997999

Oh, and I now have no doubts that Epic is paying for some coverage. PCGamer on twitter posted 7 tweets about Epic, their store, or their games, just today.
And on Kotaku, no only are they running publicity for Epic, and featuring several articles about them, the store, and their games, they also post lovely, unbiased, journalistic coverage like this quote from the article above:

«For now, some fans aren’t taking these announcements incredibly well, given that Steam has been their one-stop PC gaming shop for years, and they’ve got communities and libraries of hundreds of un-played sale games there

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I don't want to post more crap about the Epic Games store, since I have no desire to use it, nor support the developers who will be releasing exclusively on the platform.
But, about the later, and since I've read comments by people who are under the assumption that Hades will only be exclusive to Epic's store for a short period, while it's in Early Access, Greg Kasavin just confirmed to Kotaku that the game will be exclusive for at least a year and a half:

https://kotaku.com/epics-game-store-is-already-locking-down-exclusives-1830997999

Oh, and I now have no doubts that Epic is paying for some coverage. PCGamer on twitter posted 7 tweets about Epic, their store, or their games, just today.
And on Kotaku, no only are they running publicity for Epic, and featuring several articles about them, the store, and their games, they also post lovely, unbiased, journalistic coverage like this quote from the article above:

«For now, some fans aren’t taking these announcements incredibly well, given that Steam has been their one-stop PC gaming shop for years, and they’ve got communities and libraries of hundreds of un-played sale games there
Yeah, I was saying that in Discord too. The Polygon article and others (like the ones you highlighted) don't feel very "real" to me, they look like paid promotion and that's pretty crappy.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Regarding the "unbiased" Epic game store coverage: on one hand I'm not entirely blaming them since getting clicks and engagements is hard these days with plenty of audience keeping their Adblockers up the entire time, but on the other hand, I really dislike that most of these articles has seems to drop all pretenses of journalistic integrity. The Ben Kuchera's article in Polygon is one of the most glaring example.

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
I don't even know what to take from this. Fairly sure the games that are on Epic Games Store won't be available on another store, that was the whole point of it, was it not?
There have been people saying that a key generation/redemption system is coming (this comment on CSD dev's recent Gamasutra blogpost, for instance). But Steam Spy dude's tweet essentially all-but-confirms what I was thinking - that for all Epic exclusives the only place to get Epic Store games will be the Epic Store. It won't matter if there's a key generation/redemption system in place, since there's a good chance that pubs/devs won't want to use it and lose out on Exposure. And that's going to hurt the PC ecosystem - everyone from GMG to CDKeys is going to have their revenue hurt by these exclusivity moves. :/

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Regarding the "unbiased" Epic game store coverage: on one hand I'm not entirely blaming them since getting clicks and engagements is hard these days with plenty of audience keeping their Adblockers up the entire time, but on the other hand, I really dislike that most of these articles has seems to drop all pretenses of journalistic integrity. The Ben Kuchera's article in Polygon is one of the most glaring example.
Gaming journalists do tend to be more developer-friendly in my experience, so it's not unreasonable that some of this coverage is legitimate, but it also makes it hard to tell. Other publishers / devs / platforms have to really go out of their way to get negative comments from gaming journalists or other game devs, in general. Aside from the devs that just generally complain about everyone, of course :p

There have been people saying that a key generation/redemption system is coming (this comment on CSD dev's recent Gamasutra blogpost, for instance). But Steam Spy dude's tweet essentially all-but-confirms what I was thinking - that for all Epic exclusives the only place to get Epic Store games will be the Epic Store. It won't matter if there's a key generation/redemption system in place, since there's a good chance that pubs/devs won't want to use it and lose out on Exposure. And that's going to hurt the PC ecosystem - everyone from GMG to CDKeys is going to have their revenue hurt by these exclusivity moves. :/
Am I missing something? Sergey said it's up to the devs where they sell their games - wouldn't that imply that they can sell on those other platforms? The key generation is still a vague fog of unknown, but if they gain that ability, that Tweet would imply they can sell keys wherever, much like Steam. Which would be much better for everyone generally.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty anti-Epic-Store at the moment and I'm still having a hard time reading that Tweet as anything but alright.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
There have been people saying that a key generation/redemption system is coming (this comment on CSD dev's recent Gamasutra blogpost, for instance). But Steam Spy dude's tweet essentially all-but-confirms what I was thinking - that for all Epic exclusives the only place to get Epic Store games will be the Epic Store. It won't matter if there's a key generation/redemption system in place, since there's a good chance that pubs/devs won't want to use it and lost out on Exposure. And that's going to hurt the PC ecosystem - everyone from GMG to CDKeys is going to have their revenue hurt by these exclusivity moves. :/
Question if if it's key generation like on Steam, or similar to consoles, ios, play and Windows Store where you can only get few keys for use for promotions or testing, but aren't actually allowed to sell keys.

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Gaming journalists do tend to be more developer-friendly in my experience, so it's not unreasonable that some of this coverage is legitimate, but it also makes it hard to tell. Other publishers / devs / platforms have to really go out of their way to get negative comments from gaming journalists or other game devs, in general. Aside from the devs that just generally complain about everyone, of course :p

Am I missing something? Sergey said it's up to the devs where they sell their games - wouldn't that imply that they can sell on those other platforms? The key generation is still a vague fog of unknown, but if they gain that ability, that Tweet would imply they can sell keys wherever, much like Steam. Which would be much better for everyone generally.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty anti-Epic-Store at the moment and I'm still having a hard time reading that Tweet as anything but alright.
The more stores a game is sold in, the less there is a reason to go to the Epic store, The more stores a game is sold in, the higher likelihood of it being drowned out by other games (similar or not). Which isn't to say it wouldn't be much better for consumers - you're right. But I don't see why, when Exposure is so important to these devs, they would sell an Epic exclusive game on key sites. Because if they're doing that, then why not sell it on Steam, too? And at that point, it's not exclusive to the Epic store.

Or, to put it another way - any pub/dev who was going to sell on other stores as well anyway will be fine with selling keys on GMG (assuming it costs nothing to generate, and they can generate a good number of them). But I don't see why even timed-exclusive games would do that. Totally willing to be proven wrong, I just don't think they will.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
The more stores a game is sold in, the less there is a reason to go to the Epic store, The more stores a game is sold in, the higher likelihood of it being drowned out by other games (similar or not). Which isn't to say it wouldn't be much better for consumers - you're right. But I don't see why, when Exposure is so important to these devs, they would sell an Epic exclusive game on key sites. Because if they're doing that, then why not sell it on Steam, too? And at that point, it's not exclusive to the Epic store.

Or, to put it another way - any pub/dev who was going to sell on other stores as well anyway will be fine with selling keys on GMG (assuming it costs nothing to generate, and they can generate a good number of them). But I don't see why even timed-exclusive games would do that. Totally willing to be proven wrong, I just don't think they will.
I mean, generally speaking, there's almost no reason to ever buy a Steam game on Steam - it's pretty easy to find it a few bucks cheaper. But people still do, for a number of reasons. The whole point of "competition" is to compete - if there's no reason to use the Epic Store, that kinda sounds like Epic Store is not actually competitive. If the only reason to use the Epic Store is because that's the only place to buy a particular game, that's still not competition, the same way uPlay and Origin and Battle.net aren't really competing with Steam.

That's why it's extremely suspect that some devs actually removed their games from Steam and declared timed or indefinite exclusivity on the Epic Store. The exposure is certainly part of the equation, but you are missing out on exposure from the Steam users who don't bother to follow gaming news, or from budget-hunters who only buy from Humble / GMG / etc., you're also asking your customers (and any existing fans) to suddenly follow you to a new system with yet another account and many fewer features than already exist elsewhere. Supergiant responded to my first email questioning their announcement but never responded to my second one when I pointed out their hypocritical statements and the perspective I as a fan and customer could face if I didn't live in America or one of the few regions represented so far.

That also doesn't even go into the fact that every one of these exclusives on Epic so far did not actually need exposure - Satisfactory was featured at E3 and has been talked about repeatedly, Hades is from Supergiant who have had 3 hits already, people have been begging for Journey to be ported since it was released and AZBU has sold piles of copies on PC, Ashen was a well known upcoming title, etc. Has there been anyone saying "yea I'm glad this game is going to be only on Epic suddenly!" that didn't sound like a complete tool?

I'm not pissy because I can't buy Hades or Satisfactory, I could use Epic and do that. I'm pissy because I don't have as many options to buy it as I did before and I'm sick and tired of being a consumer and treated like I'm just going to be abused no questions asked. And I'm tired of people letting "slippery slope" actually become a real thing. Loot boxes are not OK. Gacha games are abusive. The utter nonsense that was Battlefront 2 got called out but that is such an extreme example, I don't think we should hold companies to that low of a standard.

Edit: None of this is directed at you, Pixieking, I'm just trying to address some of these points, and points derived from said points, and still-irking me things. I am not under the impression that you are suggesting the Epic Store is great or anything here :p

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Another year, another $30 from me.
heck yeah man! Same here. It's crazy how we're coming up on the 4th year and the game still feels fresh and exciting. Sometimes frustrating, for sure, but never boring!

Since this gen started it's the game that has easily sapped the most of my time. I'm coming up on 400 hours on the PC version. o_O (+ around 200 more on PS4 lmao)

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
If you want any of these, let me know.

Oxenfree
Mad Max
Guts and Glory
Carmageddon: Max Damage
Skulls of the Shogun
Pumped BMX +
System Shock 2
Lovely Planet
PixelJunk Shooter
War of the Human Tanks
One Finger Death Punch
Zoombinis

Reactions: Deku and lashman

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Just following up from earlier about my Humble account getting suspended. They got back to me and said it was a mistake in their automatic fraud protection. Apparently they marked my account somehow and promise that it won't happen again. Not sure if it actually had anything to do with that coupon after all.

Anyways, I am now the proud owner of Dusk and I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Last edited:

Adnor

Tetris Hell
Dec 11, 2018
Just following up from earlier about my Humble account getting suspended. They got back to me and said it was a mistake in their automatic fraud protection. Apparently they marked my account somehow and promise that it won't happen again. Not sure if it actually had anything to do with that coupon after all.

Anyways, I am now the proud owner of Dusk and I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.
Nice!

You gotta tell me how Dusk is later, I really like FPS of the Quake era.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
If anyone picks up an extra copy of Adr1ft from that GMG bundle, I might have a (good) humble monthly key with your name on it.

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.