Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
They are the main games in the series, am I right?
I see that there is a Persona 4 Arena, Persona Q, and dancing games in the wiki
I'll just give you a proper breakdown of each Persona and where they stand. Get ready for a long post!

Persona 1
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona came out on PS1
Persona PSP is just a PSP port of the original Persona with some new music and widescreen support

Persona 2
Persona 2: Innocent Sin came out on the PS1, and a PSP port with the same name released on PSP with widescreen support and enhanced music
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is a sequel/part 2 to Persona 2: Innocent Sin and released on PS1. It also got a PSP port of the same name with widescreen support and enhanced music, but that only released in Japan

Both games are essential as, as far as I'm aware, Persona 2 was always meant to be two games.

Now here's where it gets confusing.

Persona 3
Persona 3 came out on PS2
Persona 3 FES is an enhanced version of Persona 3 which also released on PS2, it has a new 30-40 hour mode taking place after the main story
Persona 3 Portable is a cut-down version of Persona 3 FES with some enhancements (such as a girl protagonist and some quality of life improvements to battle) and it released on PSP, but doesn't have the Persona 3 FES after story and the story presentation is cut-down to visual novel style rather than full 3D and FMV cutscenes
Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight is a Persona 3 dancing game that doesn't have a proper story and is just a celebration of that game's music - it released for PS Vita and PS4
Persona 4 Arena is a fighting game sequel to Persona 3 (and 4) which released on PS3 and Xbox 360
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a fighting game sequel to Persona 4 Arena which released on PS3 and Xbox 360

Persona 4
Persona 4 released on PS2
Persona 4 Golden is an enhanced version of Persona 4 which released on PS Vita and PC
Persona 4 Arena is a sequel to Persona 4 (and 3) that released for PS3 and Xbox 360
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a fighting game sequel to Persona 4 Arena which released on PS3 and Xbox 360
Persona 4: Dancing All Night is a sequel to Persona 4 and released on PS Vita and PS4 (but the PS4 version is only available as a special promotion with the P3 and P5 dancing games)

Persona 5
Persona 5 released for PS3 and PS4
Persona 5 Royal is an enhanced version of Persona 5 which released for PS4
Persona 5 Strikers is a sequel to Persona 5 which is due to release for PS4, Switch and PC
Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight is a Persona 5 dancing game that doesn't have a proper story and is just a celebration of that game's music - it released for PS Vita and PS4

Persona Q
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is a 3DS spinoff RPG that features the characters of Persona 3 and Persona 4 working together in a mysterious world (it's canon, but doesn't impact the main games for reasons)
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth is a 3DS spinoff RPG that features the characters of Persona 5 working together with the Persona 3 and 4 cast in a mysterious world (again, it's canon, but doesn't impact the main games for reasons)

In terms of must-play titles for each mainline Persona game right now (I'm discounting the rumoured P3 remake as we don't know what's going on with that)...

Persona (PSP)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1) - there's no Western PSP version, so unless we get a fan translation...
Persona 3 FES (PS2) or Portable (PSP) - there is no definitive version of Persona 3 yet so deciding which version to play is difficult
Persona 4 Golden (PC or Vita)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

You can ignore the original Persona 3, Persona 4 and Persona 5 games unless you really want to see what the originals were like. But the enhanced versions generally improve on the originals in every meaningful way, and the added story content is always optional and gated so you can get something very close to the original games on the enhanced versions if you wish.

As for the other games...

Fans of Persona 3 and/or 4 will enjoy Persona Q, but it's not essential.

Fans of Persona 5 will enjoy Persona Q2, with some nice (if more limited) fanservice for fans of Persona 3 & 4, but again it isn't essential.

Persona 4 Arena can be skipped nowadays. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has a DLC story for the Persona 4 Arena story, so just play that one. It is a sequel to Persona 3 & 4 so play both games before jumping into this. I'd say the Arena games are inconsequential and you can probably ignore them if Persona 3 & 4 were enough.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night is the final story in the Persona 4 canon, and should be played last. It's a farewell to the characters and isn't essential - just some fanservice fluff.

The Persona 3 & 5 dancing games are just for people who enjoy those title's music.

I don't yet know where P5S sits as far as sequels go. I thought P5R was a fine game on its own and it doesn't really need a sequel, just as P3 & 4 didn't, so it's probably going to be an enjoyable sequel for fans more than anything else.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well
There it is
Just in time to preprare us for p5r on steam
NO TIZOC, THIS IS A SEQUEL, FIRST YOU GONNA HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL P5R COMES TO PC! :blobclosecry:

In real tho, although we won't get P5R before this (if we do I'm going to be amazed) it is pretty clear that Atlus is all in with the 3 platforms thing and means that SMT3HD will most likely be released in the same platforms for the western release :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
NO TIZOC, THIS IS A SEQUEL, FIRST YOU GONNA HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL P5R COMES TO PC! :blobclosecry:

In real tho, although we won't get P5R before this (if we do I'm going to be amazed) it is pretty clear that Atlus is all in with the 3 platforms thing and means that SMT3HD will most likely be released in the same platforms for the western release :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:
Crazy times await us uh? I'm all for it!!

Reactions: Mor

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
If what Queen said is true, Persona 5 Royal is pretty much ready to roll. They could announce and release on the same day in Persona 4 Golden fashion if they wanted, and the shadowdrop release of that game may play out the same way as Persona 4 Golden did (i.e. very well for them).

Thanks for a really great breakdown. This was very informative 😍
I would just add that Persona 1/2, while in the same canon as 3/4/5, are so disconnected that they barely have a mention in the newer games and spinoffs.

If you want to enjoy modern Persona canon you can probably just play Persona 3 FES/Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal, and that'll be enough. Then if you liked the series a lot you can dip into the spinoffs and sequels at your whim.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I've come to relieve you all from lashman's moronic EGS fearmongering by sharing glorious indie music with you all
Which is currently on sale and they've got some great stuff

^Free but you could also donate to their paypal/paetreon

Meh
I played P4AU and skipped the story stuff
I'd play P5S and skip story stuff because it Musou mang. If I wanted story I'd play Sengoku Basara
Also where yakuza 3-6 at?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Talking about Japanese RPGs on PC. I'd love Skies of Arcadia to be available. I've only ever read stuff about the game, but it seems cool and so very, very difficult to a hold of. I'm not paying upwards of 100 euros for a GCN disc!

Also this :confounded-face:

Reactions: QFNS

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Resident Evil 7 this month or next month on Humble Choice? (originally was supposed to be October, but likely postponed due to Resident Evil 8 delay)

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Talking about Japanese RPGs on PC. I'd love Skies of Arcadia to be available. I've only ever read stuff about the game, but it seems cool and so very, very difficult to a hold of. I'm not paying upwards of 100 euros for a GCN disc!
I think I read on this very forum that Skies of Arcadia is on its way, but you may be waiting a good while for it.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

It seems Valve doesn't want to let people resell the operation pass on the market but I wonder why they need to set such drastic overpriced item on almost every single region instead of pricing it cheap and locking the item out of the market and trading (gifting is disabled by default).

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
PayPal has recently added a new service called "Pay in 4." It allows a person to spread out a charge into 4 different payments and each payment occurs every 2 weeks. It works on Steam since I just tried it (without buying anything).
This reminds me a bit of PayPal credit where you can make PayPal purchases on a rolling line of credit that is interest free for 4 months. I used that for a while while I was building up my credit rating.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
If you want to enjoy modern Persona canon you can probably just play Persona 3 FES/Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal, and that'll be enough. Then if you liked the series a lot you can dip into the spinoffs and sequels at your whim.
This. While there were a lot of very informative answers, I think this one is more suited as an answer for a beginner.
The current aesthetic and fame came with P3, to the dismay of some old timers, but it is what it is.
Not too different to what happened with Fire Emblem 3DS.

As an aside, I don’t want to know what original P1 was like, because let me tell you, I still haven‘t recovered from the GRIND FROM HELL at the end of the PSP remake.

kafiend I didn’t reply to your post, not for lack of interest but because it broke my heart.

• Hug
Reactions: kafiend and ISee

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
The fact that P5S is coming to PC on day 1 is awesome but releasing it before P5 makes no sense.
It's not like Yakuza 7 where it's a soft reboot, P5S is a straight sequel.

Meh
I played P4AU and skipped the story stuff
I'd play P5S and skip story stuff because it Musou mang. If I wanted story I'd play Sengoku Basara
This is a full-fledged sequel, it's a story heavy game.

• Eyes
  • This!
Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
The fact that P5S is coming to PC on day 1 is awesome but releasing it before P5 makes no sense.
It's not like Yakuza 7 where it's a soft reboot, P5S is a straight sequel.
tbf, while I don't think Royal will be released in January but AFTER Scramble, I would say there is a veeeeeery slim chance that Sega/Atlus releases Royal ASAP, although who knows, at this point SEGA's planning is weird as hell.

Reactions: Cacher and TheTrain

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
C-Dub Thanks for this information!

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1) - there's no Western PSP version, so unless we get a fan translation...
Looks like there is active fan translation project still ongoing, so maybe one day...

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I mean it's been on the switch (in japan) so ¯\(ツ)They work in mysterious ways, trying to understand them is pointless
I know but since they were taking so long to announce the western version I figured they'd port P5 in the meantime. It's like you say, trying to get the logic behind these decisions is a waste time.

We should focus on the day 1 PC version though, it's definitely a reason to celebrate, we've come a long way. Hopefully PC and console launches will be aligned from now on.

C-Dub Thanks for this information!

Looks like there is active fan translation project still ongoing, so maybe one day...
Oh man, this is excellent news. I'm still pissed that the PSP version of EP never got localized. P2 is awesome.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Somehow I don't see Persona 5 Royal releasing before Scramble. Prove me wrong Atlus.
I think I read on this very forum that Skies of Arcadia is on its way, but you may be waiting a good while for it.
I remember the same. Don't remember who gave the info though.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Man, Cyberpunk price on CDkeys keeps going up. At this rate I will just buy it on an official site.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
PayPal has recently added a new service called "Pay in 4." It allows a person to spread out a charge into 4 different payments and each payment occurs every 2 weeks. It works on Steam since I just tried it (without buying anything).
Yo what i gotta try that :O

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Man, Cyberpunk price on CDkeys keeps going up. At this rate I will just buy it on an official site.
Unfortunately that's normal. It will be most expansive at and for a couple of weeks after release.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
If P5R PC is done Im hoping for a shadow drop. Suprise announcement right after the Strikers trailer. Worked well for P4G so they might try again.
I think this is what they'll do. Don't know when they'll do it, but if the game is ready to roll and there isn't any stupid exclusivity deal from Sony blocking an imminent release, I expect they'll be rolling it out before P5S releases.

Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if the Game Pass version of Phoenix Point has been updated to the Year One Steam version (without the DLC obvs). Unfortunately, it's not like the Xbox app is very useful on the information front.

• Sad

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Man, the switch version runs like shit and the loading times are ridiculous. I know how convenient portability is but these trade-offs are too big for me. I'd rather not be able to play as often but get the better experience.

• This!

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
If P5R PC is done Im hoping for a shadow drop. Suprise announcement right after the Strikers trailer. Worked well for P4G so they might try again.
While I think Atlus wouldn't do that for something as big as P5R (maybe for 13 Sentinels but not for Persona big boy) I would be SO IN FOR THIS :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:

Reactions: TheTrain

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
While I think Atlus wouldn't do that for something as big as P5R (maybe for 13 Sentinels but not for Persona big boy) I would be SO IN FOR THIS :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:
I think it would depend on the price. Shadow drops work well when the game is in impulse purchase territory. Whether Atlus wants to do that with P5R is another matter, especially since it's the newest game in their most valuable IP and is less than a year old in the West.

If they have a good exposure event (like TGAs) and a good price (even if it's only launch discount), they may be tempted to do it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmmmmmmmh I want to start playing Kiwami 2, I have it on steam but thinking that maybe soon by some miracle I get my hands on a xbox I rather play it on there.
Outlook looking good ?

Reactions: QFNS

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
P5R is totally gonna be full price.

Back when we were still on gaf people in the Persona community thread were discussing rumors of P4 getting a PS4 port and I said that a PC port was probably more likely.
I was laughed out of the thread. Funny how things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.