Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Can we agree that Chromatic Aberration is, well, an aberration?
there's a limited slice of games for which a low-fi, visually degraded look actually makes sense (mostly horror games, i.e. RE7) and where CA fits the overall aesthetic, but it keeps being used in games where it doesn't fit the art direction at all. it sucks

• This!
Reactions: Stevey and sk2k

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Oh snap, Red Dead Online is 118GB. :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
That is some scheme Rockstar has going huh.

Pay them 5$ for the privilege of then grinding dozens of hours for gold so then you can buy into an in game job so you can continue grinding. And all of it taking up so much space on your drive lol.

Seriously the story is amazing and well worth the money. Can't recommend the rest of it.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
That is some scheme Rockstar has going huh.

Pay them 5$ for the privilege of then grinding dozens of hours for gold so then you can buy into an in game job so you can continue grinding. And all of it taking up so much space on your drive lol.

Seriously the story is amazing and well worth the money. Can't recommend the rest of it.
It's only a grind if you don't enjoy it, and that's where you should stop playing. :coffee-blob:

For me, the campaign is not very good gameplay wise, as everything is spoon fed to you, to the point that you should strictly follow their guidance. Like if you strayed too far from the mission area, it'll fail. If you don't follow exactly what the game wanted to you to do, it'll fail. If the story is all it takes to make a good game, I'd just watch it on Youtube. I liked RDR2, but I always wanted more freedom, and Online is the answer.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Greedfall showing up on gamepass probably means it's a ways away on Humble though. :crying-face:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

I suppose this means developers can add even more community items besides those that already exist in the form of trading cards/emotes/background from crafting steam cards.
Specifically they are not allowed to create new "trading cards/emotes/background items" but

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I wonder what devs think about those point shop items. I mean with regular items, like background, emojis, they earn money on them but with point shop items, they earn nonsense money at best but do they even get a cut of those points?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Someone clearly deserves a promotion :D

I wonder what devs think about those point shop items. I mean with regular items, like background, emojis, they earn money on them but with point shop items, they earn nonsense money at best but do they even get a cut of those points?
70% of 0 is technically still zero, so I assume they get nothing. But to purchase from point shop, you need to buy the game and not refund it, so devs already got something at least.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
70% of 0 is technically still zero, so I assume they get nothing. But to purchase from point shop, you need to buy the game and not refund it, so devs already got something at least.
Yeah but I thought that maybe they do get points, which they can use also but yeah the bigger draw would probably just be exposure and goodwill.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It's only a grind if you don't enjoy it, and that's where you should stop playing. :coffee-blob:

For me, the campaign is not very good gameplay wise, as everything is spoon fed to you, to the point that you should strictly follow their guidance. Like if you strayed too far from the mission area, it'll fail. If you don't follow exactly what the game wanted to you to do, it'll fail. If the story is all it takes to make a good game, I'd just watch it on Youtube. I liked RDR2, but I always wanted more freedom, and Online is the answer.
Yeah i utterly detest shit like that, esp. When people praise such a game.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I just look forward to winter sale just so I can craft all my badges! 45 ready to craft right now!:D And those should give me enough cards to craft 4 sale badges from the get go.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I just look forward to winter sale just so I can craft all my badges! 45 ready to craft right now!:D And those should give me enough cards to craft 4 sale badges from the get go.
You reminded ne
I should delist some carss before then and craft them
Seeing as i can barely make money out of them xp

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You reminded ne
I should delist some carss before then and craft them
Seeing as i can barely make money out of them xp
Yeah I don't bother selling anything that has value below 10 cents, I use them for crafting and everything that is actually worth something I sell, I've found that it almost funds itself.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Will my potato i5 6500 + GTX1070 run Fenyx Rising? I looked at the comparsion chart on the ubisoft store page and i still do not really know. Something between Low and High should be possible? :unsure:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Yeah but I thought that maybe they do get points, which they can use also but yeah the bigger draw would probably just be exposure and goodwill.
The first bit you need to consider is the points store doesn't have any ties to real cash value (i.e. it can't be sold or traded), so developers/publishers aren't getting short changed or cut out of transactions.

It's more an incentive for players to buy games on Steam than anything else. And with the way Valve calculates its share of the profit, it's in a developer's interest for them to sell lots of copies on Steam to get their revenue share up to 80%, and to continue to sell lots of games at that share.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The first bit you need to consider is the points store doesn't have any ties to real cash value (i.e. it can't be sold or traded), so developers/publishers aren't getting short changed or cut out of transactions.

It's more an incentive for players to buy games on Steam than anything else. And with the way Valve calculates its share of the profit, it's in a developer's interest for them to sell lots of copies on Steam to get their revenue share up to 80%, and to continue to sell lots of games at that share.
Yeah that's what I mean, since there is no real value to making items for the point shop I was curious as to what devs thought about it. I understand that there is value in the exposure and goodwill but the biggest winner in the point shop is Valve.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah that's what I mean, since there is no real value to making items for the point shop I was curious as to what devs thought about it. I understand that there is value in the exposure and goodwill but the biggest winner in the point shop is Valve.
I dunno, I think it's mutually beneficial. If developers act in a way that increases game sales on Steam (rather than on key resellers who tend to undercut Steam and take a fixed rate cut) then they're increasing their game's Steam revenue, which means they either:

1) Speed up the time it takes for Valve to lower their cut to 20%.
2) Increase the amount of sales a developer gets with an 80% cut, rather than the 25-30% cut that other sites take.

Remember, customers only get points when they spend money on Steam rather than a third party site. This is entirely about shaping consumer behaviour in a way that benefits Valve and publishers.

Of course there's the goodwill thing, but most publishers wouldn't bother going to the effort if there was no financial incentive for them.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So apparently the new Dontnod game (which I had no idea was releasing this soon, thanks, Epic) is their worst effort to date. It never looked particularly good but I'm pretty sad nonetheless.
Yeah, despite my dissapointment in LiS 2, I overall enjoy their games, but Twin Mirror looks like a dud.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
As you can expect, certain indie devs are complaining. (Even about whole points system, since it "forces" you to buy from Steam directly).
Well yeah, they would. But I think Valve's revenue share model is really not geared in their favour so of course they don't want their customers buying from Steam. Their games will probably never make enough money to get into Valve's more favourable revenue share tiers, so they're stuck at getting 70% from Steam sales.

• This!

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
But can't devs still make items for the points shop even if they sale mostly outside steam, those games are still eligible for the point shop for the customer.
Yes, but customers only get points if they buy in Steam, so it's encouraging customers to spend more in Steam and less in other stores with more favourable revenue shares. Some legit key resellers take less than Valve's default 30%, and some indies even sell keys through their own ecommerce system (thus getting 100%, minus any expenses of running their own system), so Valve encouraging customers to buy on Steam by giving Steam purchasers points is a bit of a shot across the bow of those sites.

When Valve's revenue share drops to 80% (or you think your game has a good chance of getting into that band), it makes sense to push Steam sales harder because 80/20 is an incredibly favourable revenue share for all the benefits Valve offers developers/publishers. But for these indies who are probably forever stuck on 70/30 and may not make use of Steam's feature-set, I can see why some are annoyed. But then these are the same people who praised EGS as being competition to Steam (despite offering no tangible benefit to the customer), and are now crying that Steam is competing back with customer-focused incentives so their duplicity is laid bare for all to see.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I like how about 1/4th of the devs in that thing are responding in a way that implying it's a waste of time because it doesn't give them any incentive to make money but the most popular stickers/animated things etc are from random games etc as long as it's cool or funny or unique enough for someone to give a shit about. You also can't buy or use them unless you own the game so if you put some half assed effort into making something cool people might just buy it for a stupid animated avatar or border for their cool profile

I've heard of dumber shit
Some of those creative developers don't really think big picture

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I like how about 1/4th of the devs in that thing are responding in a way that implying it's a waste of time because it doesn't give them any incentive to make money but the most popular stickers/animated things etc are from random games etc as long as it's cool or funny or unique enough for someone to give a shit about. You also can't buy or use them unless you own the game so if you put some half assed effort into making something cool people might just buy it for a stupid animated avatar or border for their cool profile

I've heard of dumber shit
Some of those creative developers don't really think big picture
I agree, but I think a lot of the grumbling is from developers who are being asked to incentivise customers to buy on Steam over another store that gives them a better share, and there's no direct financial benefit to them.

All they care about is the price, not the value.

Reactions: lashman

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

Sign up between 12/01/2020 - 01/01/2021 to receive the BANDAI NAMCO Uniform Set, exclusive to our Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions email subscribers! Codes will be delivered via email within 4 weeks from the sign up period.
Edit. Now that Im thinking of the game, I think it bombed so.... maybe we will see it on Humble December Choice?!

Reason: added a guess
Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It's a shame that Twin Mirror is bad, apparently. At least I won't feel bad for waiting until it comes out on Steam, I guess.
The game has Humble Choice fodder written all over it. Wait for that rather than paying more than its worth on Steam.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I agree, but I think a lot of the grumbling is from developers who are being asked to incentivise customers to buy on Steam over another store that gives them a better share, and there's no direct financial benefit to them.

All they care about is the price, not the value.
They basically want valve to publicize the fuck out of them without selling said product.
Every day I learn new things to be astonished for, indie videogames are really a business i'll never understand

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Got an arr copy of Twin Mirror, it's an EGSxclusive so I don't feel any shame.

However I have no idea when I will be able to play it, just so much on my plate right now + Immortals, John Wick Hex, Phoenix Point and CP2077 during the next weeks. However I heard it's short (5-6 hours) so might just play through it sometime. I will get the game on Steam when it's out as long as it has a good launch discount noneless.

Im gonna give Mudrunner another try today, but compared to Snowrunner it feels so "bad" and "outdated", like Mudrunner was a prototype for Snowrunner.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Im gonna give Mudrunner another try today, but compared to Snowrunner it feels so "bad" and "outdated", like Mudrunner was a prototype for Snowrunner.
Well shit... I was about to buy Mudrunner in Autumn sale, glad I held off.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The advertised price of Red Dead Online on Steam is inconsistent with what it really is: a discounted price (-75%) available for ~3 months.

Anyway, after reading a few Steam reviews, I won't get it.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Something of interest to shooter fans

Edit. Now that Im thinking of the game, I think it bombed so.... maybe we will see it on Humble December Choice?!
The game shipped 500,000 copies. To be more exact, this figure includes digital purchases

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Hello everyone. Long time no see.
These past few months have been nightmarishly hard and depressing and to avoid being a downer and bring everyone down I've been mostly lurking from time to time, hoping for brighter and better days. I want to think the worst is now behind me so here I am trying to move forward.

On topic, thanks lashman for the great and informative thread.

I was somewhat disappointed with the latest sale. Spent a good amount of time looking for a good deal on a turn-based rpg or a turn-based tactics game and couldn't find anything that grabbed my eye. The only game that seemed like what I was looking for was The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk but it's still too pricey. In fact, other than BG3 and Solasta (both EA), there's a surprisingly lack of non-japanese-like rpgs to play right now. Any recomendations or new releases to look forward to?

Decided to postpone getting CP2077 to ~2years from now. By that time there'll hopefully be a complete/goty edition and I intend to get a new PC in mid-2023. I can easily avoid major spoilers and even I don't I'll probably forget about them in the meantime. Besides I'm not in a good mental and physical position to give the game the time it deserves/demands right now.

Regarding the next humble choice, since we got Darksiders 3 the last month it's possible we'll get Darksiders Genesis in this one. Other than that my guesses are The Banner Saga 3, Druidstone and Plague Tale.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
The advertised price of Red Dead Online on Steam is inconsistent with what it really is: a discounted price (-75%) available for ~3 months.

Itad is much better tracking historical lows but on the other hand gg deals site is faster sending you notifications from games on your waitlist. I use both to be honest and I sometimes get a bit overwhelmed by notification emails.

Hello everyone. Long time no see.
These past few months have been nightmarishly hard and depressing and to avoid being a downer and bring everyone down I've been mostly lurking from time to time, hoping for brighter and better days. I want to think the worst is now behind me so here I am trying to move forward.

On topic, thanks lashman for the great and informative thread.

I was somewhat disappointed with the latest sale. Spent a good amount of time looking for a good deal on a turn-based rpg or a turn-based tactics game and couldn't find anything that grabbed my eye. The only game that seemed like what I was looking for was The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk but it's still too pricey. In fact, other than BG3 and Solasta (both EA), there's a surprisingly lack of non-japanese-like rpgs to play right now. Any recomendations or new releases to look forward to?
I wish I had known about this earlier, might have helped you find a game, maybe.
You could check this tweet and see if there's anything you would like on the recommended games listed there.
Something of interest to shooter fans

The game shipped 500,000 copies. To be more exact, this figure includes digital purchases
Well, that's quite a lot of copies so it didn't bomb as I thought. I remembered I checked only Steam reviews so I made a huge mistake leaving Switch and PS4 out of the equation. It seems those were the platforms where the game sales shone.

Reason: added tweet + captain tsubasa mistake.
Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene and kio

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Itad is much better tracking historical lows but on the other hand gg deals site is faster sending you notifications from games on your waitlist. I use both to be honest and I sometimes get a bit overwhelmed by notification emails.

I wish I had known about this earlier, might have helped you find a game, maybe.
You could check this tweet and see if there's anything you would like on the recommended games listed there.
I've set ITAD to only send me a mail once a day or I'll turn insane and not get mails from gg.deals. Casual lookup I do with gg.deals though, since I prefer their interface.
Exception is humble, because on ITAD you can customize it so that includes your humble subscriber discount, which gg.deals unfortunately can't.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Because it might be against EU/AU laws to advertise such long discount. Valve is just playing safe and not allowing such long sales to be advertised as sale. (Many non-steam sales platforms also have limits like this).

Status
Not open for further replies.