Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
How do you feel about its difficulty? I started playing a couple of weeks ago, but it seemed exceedingly easy to get absolutely demolished in that game before even really settling into the flow of it, so I didn't make much of any progress. Maybe I was missing something.
Hm, it's definitely fairly tough, but the beginning shouldn't give too much trouble as long as you loosely stick to the area order the game recommends you. You don't need to fight everything and it's important to explore as much as you can, the optional dungeons have very helpful items. Also, rolling is essential.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Man Ittle Dew 2 is hella fun.
The first game was neat - fun enough story, good puzzles. But this 2nd game is blowing it out of the water. It's super addicting. :blobeyes:
I think I preferred the first game. The puzzles were so good, and some ended up being some of my overall favs. 2nd one felt like they were putting a too much attn into other categories. Still, both games were good and I had a really good time with both.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I saw this for the first time ever (I think) today on Steam and was intrigued.

It actually seems like it would be what I've been looking for for a while now -- a story-driven, more arcade-y space shooter. Please let us know what you think!
Okay, these are my impressions after about 3.5 - 4 hours.

First of all, this is a very … B-tier budget game. There is a good model for the main character and some cutscenes using it, but everyone else is just a custom or generic portrait art, with the story being told by comms and/or changing camera angles of the ships.

Gameplay is very arcadey, including some enemies dropping health pickups (at least on medium difficulty). Could use some little tweaks to the HUD and is nothing new, but I’m actually having a lot of fun playing it. Controls do require some getting used to.

There are some linear sections but I spent most of my time flying around two medium size maps.

Story wise is following some common beats, including the usual “bad guy does really bad thing and grows a conscience” thing. It actually has way more fantastic/magical elements (including some of your ships abilities) than I was expecting, but it does help differentiate itself a little. Sidequests are a lot more mundane with not so great voice acting and writing.

There is a strange choice to convey the main character's thoughts through whispering, but you get used to it. The interaction between her and the AI is actually the strong point in the writing so far.

One thing I’m really going to complain about…. the overuse of those damn “Witcher” senses. Waaaaaay too much of “press the sensor button and go after the glowing thing”.

Overall I’m having a good time with it, but it did have some decent regional pricing over here. I don’t think I would recommend it at $40, at least so far. Apparently there is a decent demo and I think I read somewhere it’s about 12 hours long, so I still have a decent chunk left to play.

It’s also running very smoothly on my old ass quad-core CPU with a 3080. I think above 100+ almost all the time (1440p, no DLSS) but I haven’t been monitoring it closely.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
A new not so mega bundle on itch.io. 65 games for 5 dollar

I haven't checked what games the bundle here. I copied this information from reddit that compares with previous mega bundles on itch.io

Maybe FunktionJCB can fill in to tell what gems this bundle has

Edit: i should mention that this bundle doesn't provide any Steam keys
prefer Steam keys, but that's a pretty great value and has a good handful of indies on my wishlist. bought

• Eyes

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Ready Or Not got an alpha update and it finally feels like it's on track to be a proper and great SWAT 4 successor.

I don't recommend getting the supporter edition unless you really have that much money to spend but it's definitely not a scam or abandoned which some people feared.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Ready Or Not got an alpha update and it finally feels like it's on track to be a proper and great SWAT 4 successor.

I don't recommend getting the supporter edition unless you really have that much money to spend but it's definitely not a scam or abandoned which some people feared.
Oh wow, I didn't know they were even doing a Tarkov way of buying into the game. Certainly looks impressive.
Will definitely buy when it is on steam, in the mean time Zero hour has also been doing well

Thanks to a post earlier on for reminding me of this game (saw the tornado scene then bought). Still remember the creator posting videos showing off the engine without knowing what the game would be.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I still think No Man's Sky writing is a crime against humanity. Or maybe it's randomly generated, too.
Thhhaaaat being said...

We're in space now, bois !

This shit is hypnotic and the sense of wonder is relatively present. I can't stop playing.

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
I still think No Man's Sky writing is a crime against humanity. Or maybe it's randomly generated, too.
Thhhaaaat being said...

We're in space now, bois !

This shit is hypnotic and the sense of wonder is relatively present. I can't stop playing.

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
i lust for the day i get to play starman while eliminating the futuristic soviet russian base on Garangula-502

• Eyes

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
High time Blizz brought WoW over
Steam isn't even the biggest launcher for FFXIV either. I'd put money on there being way more people using the FFXIV Launcher. not even counting PS4 & PS5 which also has a large number of players. The queues are HUGE at the moment due to there being a large regular population boosted by people leaving WoW over the last few months and the new expansion will bring new people in and get lapsed accounts to resub for a while too.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
in recent times, i've just been getting a hobby; emailing american physics professor a question i've had in my mind for years

now sent an email to a professor at uni of arizona, hopefully he answers

the question in focus is well, when i make a cup of instant coffee, i naturally blend it with a teaspoon, but if i navigate the teaspoon to the bottom middle of the cup and start hitting it once, it makes a sound, but if i continue to hit it, it makes a sound that is higher in pitch than the previous one, all the way until it's indistinguishable, and not only that, but when i blend the cup, the pitch restarts and if i hit it again, it's at the lowest pitch
and i'm just wondering, why does it do that

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Refunded RE:Village. :crying-face:

Just had me on edge too much, i dont really enjoy the later first person resi games. They are like proper horror when what i want is silly action with light horror bites.

Steam refund policy is great though, id ticked over 2hrs but they refunded it no problem. Reason for refund - pooped my pants.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
in recent times, i've just been getting a hobby; emailing american physics professor a question i've had in my mind for years

the question in focus is well, when i make a cup of instant coffee, i naturally blend it with a teaspoon, but if i navigate the teaspoon to the bottom middle of the cup and start hitting it once, it makes a sound, but if i continue to hit it, it makes a sound that is higher in pitch than the previous one, all the way until it's indistinguishable, and not only that, but when i blend the cup, the pitch restarts and if i hit it again, it's at the lowest pitch

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I think I preferred the first game. The puzzles were so good, and some ended up being some of my overall favs. 2nd one felt like they were putting a too much attn into other categories. Still, both games were good and I had a really good time with both.
Alright so I've finished the 2nd game now (been a while since I binged a game that hard tbh) and I can see where you are coming from. I think I still like the 2nd more overall, it's just meatier, the overworld with countless secret dungeons is great fun and I appreciate that there are now dungeon rewards that are more than "get a little more health" or collectibles. But the combat gets a bit too much after a while. Definitely could have toned down the difficulty ramp. I did the actual final dungeon but I gave up defeating the real final boss. Shit's harder than Souls.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Nabs

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Alright so I've finished the 2nd game now (been a while since I binged a game that hard tbh) and I can see where you are coming from. I think I still like the 2nd more overall, it's just meatier, the overworld with countless secret dungeons is great fun and I appreciate that there are now dungeon rewards that are more than "get a little more health" or collectibles. But the combat gets a bit too much after a while. Definitely could have toned down the difficulty ramp. I did the actual final dungeon but I gave up defeating the real final boss. Shit's harder than Souls.
The focus on combat was a downer, especially since you'd respawn outside of the dungeon if you died. If you need to unwind a bit, the Steamworld Dig games are great. I went from Ittle Dew to a replay of those two, and they paired nicely together. I may have an extra Dig key if you need.

• Comfy
Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The focus on combat was a downer, especially since you'd respawn outside of the dungeon if you died. If you need to unwind a bit, the Steamworld Dig games are great. I went from Ittle Dew to a replay of those two, and they paired nicely together. I may have an extra Dig key if you need.
Thanks for the offer, but I've already played them both :). The first one was alright, the 2nd one I found really great.

Reactions: Nabs

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
A good SWAT4 successor would be great. Is it going to have rules of engagement similar to SWAT4? That's probably what really sets SWAT4 apart for me. There are other tactical shooters out there that let you use periscope cameras under doors, reward you for planning entries into rooms, etc., but there is something incredibly rewarding about having to do all of that without going guns-blazing, having to control the situation where you have multiple threats, but you can't use lethal force until they're about to fire at you, your teammates, or a hostage.

• Eyes

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Is it going to have rules of engagement similar to SWAT4?
Yes, there is a score system based on ROE almost exactly like SWAT4. ROEs also change depending on the situation you go into. A heavily armed gang rivalry is treated differently than some teen suspects barricading themselves in a gas station for example.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

Obviously you don't use sugar, or the sound would lower in pitch. lol.

As you stir you are changing the composition of the fluid but it might also be harmonics in the cup building as you hit it with the spoon or the soundwaves building or the speed increase as you stir means a higher amount of striking energy in the spoon which makes the tone higher? That's about as far as i've ever thought about it tbh.

edit: or this may be close too?

• Eyes

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yes, there is a score system based on ROE almost exactly like SWAT4. ROEs also change depending on the situation you go into. A heavily armed gang rivalry is treated differently than some teen suspects barricading themselves in a gas station for example.
Don't get my hopes up. I've been waiting for tis one, and you're setting expectations I don't want to see dashed

• Evil

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Meanwhile Switch fans: "The Deck will fail spectacularly because it has no exclusives" (An actual talking point on different Forums regarding Switch and Deck)
While Steam has all Xbox exclusives and in the future Sony exclusives, ignoring the 1000 times more PC exclusives.

Nintendo fans are something else (or at least the vocal minority are, the rest likely just enjoy playing games and continue with their every day lives like regular folks do)

But for that vocal minority they seem to feel that any one challenging Nintendo is challenging them as well.

A recent highlight that I saw was about sales for Nintendo in Japan and the person wondered, well why don't main streaming gaming outlets cover just how many units the Switch is selling in Japan, especially when you can get specific numbers.

One dude was asking why Benji sales covers weekly steam sales charts but not Japanese sales charts when in Japan you can get the information of how much a games sell. It's weird because if you wanted to see how well games are doing in Japan you would go to a site like Gematsu rather than IGN or the Verge or something. As for the Steam charts thing, sure that does not share exact numbers but you can still get a look at how well some games are selling because you are looking at global data and also because it's also usually Steam data charts that people share and not Nintendo data charts for how active certain games are.

FFXIV being one such current example of such a thing. Especially with how you don't even Have to launch. the game to see gae stats

Steam isn't even the biggest launcher for FFXIV either. I'd put money on there being way more people using the FFXIV Launcher. not even counting PS4 & PS5 which also has a large number of players. The queues are HUGE at the moment due to there being a large regular population boosted by people leaving WoW over the last few months and the new expansion will bring new people in and get lapsed accounts to resub for a while too.
With the Steam Deck I wonder if new players are going to prefer to get it on Steam. Just because it sounds like all you need to do is Download the game and that's it. You can still play it on Linux from the sounds of it but then you would need to follow extra steps.

From the looks of it, of the others issue is that FFXIV is region locked to some regions on Steam, so there might be those that would prefer to get it on Steam but just can't because they wouldn't have to use a VPN.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

I really really really hope the Single player aspect of this game lives up to the hype. I'm hyped anyway. But I don't trust the multiplayer aspect to last long AT ALL tbh. In this age of Hero shooters and F2P MP games...

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Btw, w/ regards to Uncharted on PC finally, what about 1-3? Cuz the only one i ever played was on Vita. Story wise I have no idea where this series is at...

• Eyes

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
To be fair, I live in Paris that has quality bakeries around every corner. So I always get a nice baguette.

but yeah one day when I have a kitchen I want to start baking my own bread! Might even get one of those bread maker machines.
Est-ce que les baguettes de Paris sont à la hauteur de leur réputation mondiale? Un jour, quand la covid ne sera qu'un mauvais souvenir, c'est l'un des trucs que je me devrai d'essayer.

Man I miss travelling... :(

• Hug
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Btw, w/ regards to Uncharted on PC finally, what about 1-3? Cuz the only one i ever played was on Vita. Story wise I have no idea where this series is at...
Well, thats the problematic part, honestly. I wouldn't recommend playing Uncharted 4 in particular without having played the first three games beforehand, that game only works because its very much a conclusion/epilogue to a larger narrative arc. Golden Abyss is more of a side story that doesn't really have much relevance to the greater plot.

Lost Legacy, on the other hand, can largely be played on its own without context, and is an outstanding game.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Est-ce que les baguettes de Paris sont à la hauteur de leur réputation mondiale? Un jour, quand la covid ne sera qu'un mauvais souvenir, c'est l'un des trucs que je me devrai d'essayer.

Man I miss travelling... :(
Oui ils sont magnifiques! But of course I haven’t tried around the world or even around France, but I do love them.:)

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Issue with Uncharted games is that they are actually perfectly playable in any order regarding main story, but they don't hit the same character wise because each game builds up character relationships. You can go and play Uncharted 4 without playing previous trilogy and have great time with it but if you go and play previous 3 games those characters will be on whole another level for you.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
The entire point of Uncharted is lost if you don't know about the character relationships between Nate, Sully, Chloe and Elena. Uncharted 1-3 are games of varying quality but they are mandatory to properly appreciate the end of the saga in Uncharted 4. I actually think it's absurd that Sony is releasing 4/LL without the 1-3 collection.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
Obviously you don't use sugar, or the sound would lower in pitch. lol.

As you stir you are changing the composition of the fluid but it might also be harmonics in the cup building as you hit it with the spoon or the soundwaves building or the speed increase as you stir means a higher amount of striking energy in the spoon which makes the tone higher? That's about as far as i've ever thought about it tbh.

edit: or this may be close too?
i mean that could explain it, but i also wanna just get an email for an american professor in general, so if i get tired of the email part, i at least know the answer, thank

• Eyes

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, it's weird to start with 4 and the side adventure. I hope they include some sort of "previously on.."

This was good and the dev seems to constantly add new levels.

• Eyes

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The entire point of Uncharted is lost if you don't know about the character relationships between Nate, Sully, Chloe and Elena. Uncharted 1-3 are games of varying quality but they are mandatory to properly appreciate the end of the saga in Uncharted 4. I actually think it's absurd that Sony is releasing 4/LL without the 1-3 collection.
Eh, I don't think it's an issue. All the cutscenes from the previous games are on Youtube anyway, it's pretty easy to get up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.