Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Started Chorvs at 3am to just give it a quick look and ended up spending an hour playing it. It looks gorgeous on my machine, no frame drops i have seen and it seems pretty interesting. Standard story i imagine but i don't play games expecting anything more than a servicable storyline so i'm not bothered unlike some comments i've read.

I had a look at a walkthrough because something seemed off with the Thief mission and apparently i'm an anomaly. I failed it the first time and on the second attempt i went directly towards the end of the trail and it triggered the final dialog which seemed to be missing things. I checked it out and yeah i was supposed to chase them down and have a conversation along the way, not intercept their path within 45 seconds, lol

Seems decent enough and i'm sure i'll get used to the HUD icons and my spacial awareness will improve but i'd rather a more traditional radar display tbh but i'll deal with it. Looking forward to going back in and winning a race!

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I had a look at a walkthrough because something seemed off with the Thief mission and apparently i'm an anomaly. I failed it the first time and on the second attempt i went directly towards the end of the trail and it triggered the final dialog which seemed to be missing things. I checked it out and yeah i was supposed to chase them down and have a conversation along the way, not intercept their path within 45 seconds, lol
No, no, I failed that mission first time as well, it seems they put the distance cutoff for failing the mission too close to when you start the mission. Almost did what you did as well on the retry, but I didn't see the trail sense, so I went back to the mission indicator and finished the mission just fine. Game is pretty cool so far. Too much story and cutscenes than I used to from these type of games but I get it's the beginning of the game. Also tried the demo before buying the game and the easy button to teleport behind your enemies is interesting. Hope that doesn't brake the game's difficulty in the end.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I've now finished 69 games this year :fingergunsblob:

I don't think I'll ever manage as many again because the majority of that number are short games that I went through in like one or two sessions, but it's nice to see that backlog slim down a little. That leaves around 350 games in my (Steam) library that are on my to play list / not yet retired. Lots of mediocre games there though, so even optimistically I'll only finish a quarter to a third of those at most.

Focusing more on the games I've got has given me a better understanding of the kind of games that appeal to me as well as the things that will hamper my enjoyment, and as a result I've also been better at making good buying choices when I do decide to pick up something new. So 've also ended up finishing all the new games I bought this year -- excluding recent sale pickups, which I'm still going through. Good stuff.

I wanted to put more time into my backlog for a while because my buying habits were kind of bad, but what really got the ball rolling was participating in Wibblewozzer's backlog blitz. It started off a little incentive to pick a handful of games and stick with them, but now it's become a habit of mine so big thanks for that!

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Eh, I don't think it's an issue. All the cutscenes from the previous games are on Youtube anyway, it's pretty easy to get up to speed.
It's an issue because these are videogames not movies, it's an interactive medium and not a passive one, so playing the story is as important, or perhaps even more important, than viewing it.
Besides that using outside resources to be able to experience the totality of a product is never a good idea or design philosofy, see Destiny's compendium or glossary or whatever it was called.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Tales of Arise has really been growing on me lately.

Regarding Uncharted, the cast is imo one of the strongest in gaming and UC4 is one of the most satisfying conclusions to a saga in any medium, there's no denying that without the emotional investment that comes from playing the previous games the experience isn't the same. Sure, you can watch the cutscenes, but it's not the same and a lot of great dialogue atually happens during gameplay.
But I guess they aren't interested in porting any pre-PS4 games so there's really not much you can do about it. It's a shame.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
No, it's definitely an issue. The fact that you can mitigate the issue by watching or playing the other games somehow doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It's a poor choice by Sony.
It's an issue because these are videogames not movies, it's an interactive medium and not a passive one, so playing the story is as important, or perhaps even more important, than viewing it.
Besides that using outside resources to be able to experience the totality of a product is never a good idea or design philosofy, see Destiny's compendium or glossary or whatever it was called.
I see your point of view but I don't agree. If the goal is to understand character relationships then Youtube will do just fine for me.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are there known xbox controller issues on No Man’s Sky ? Because mine is acting up something fierce in it. I’m talking character changing position suddenly or even a time when the dpad kept infinitely activating the sub menu.
As I only noticed that on this game I’m not too worried, but the novelty is wearing off fast.

Maybe uncheck steam controller management thingy ?

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Dunno, i only ever played with a wired DS4 and never had any troubles at all. In fact i've been damned lucky and haven't had many issues with NMS at all for years now. Some people report problems with xbox controllers but i've only just got one so i'll try it today at some point.

I've been meaning to fire up NMS as i tend to play it in blocks every few weeks or months. I've had it since launch and across my saves i have maybe 500 hours in it. just looked and there's a patch i need to download so i'll be trying it later on. hmm, i might pause it and just try out the xbox controller.

edit: Nope Steam wants to update it so i'll try later on.

• Eyes
  • Hug
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
after trying to install Minecraft for 50 minutes, I realized that Windows 10 is actually somewhat-ehh when I compare it to WIndows 11

first of all, the developers who really thought it was a good idea to put the Minecraft Installer almost exclusively onto the Microsoft store (only other way to get it is by going to the old downloads page on minecraft which is now hidden from regular browsing there) should be fired, because the same developers somehow managed to fuck it up so bad, it has a 1.7 star rating; it doesn't even fucking start for christ's sake

second of all, after attempting to install Minecraft for 50 minutes on the windows 10 computer, I realized I can just use the Win11 computer, got the win 7/8 installer, and now it works brilliantly, but in that change, I noticed just how beautiful Windows 11 is compared to Windows 10, it all just makes sense in a way, it's kinda cooler

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Eh, i'm not buying the Windows 11 propaganda. I'll stick with Windows 10 until the new year at least.
Also, your problem begins and ends with two words. Windows Store.
The only things i use from there are the Nvidia control panel and the Realtek Audio Panel because i have to.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and xinek

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played through Uncharted 1-3 last year on PS4 and I thought that the gameplay with those set pieces were pretty cool but as far as the story and the characters themselves that was one of the parts that just didn't have a huge impact on me. I feel like if I knew more about the characters in the past maybe I would feel something but I didn't. So what I mean by this is seeing their past in the game and not them just talking about it since some characters do talk about it but it didn't grab me. The only thing that I liked about young drake was just the set piece but also seeing the villain from the beginning. Out of the 3 this one did stand out to me in regards to the antagonist of the story seeing how I didn't know anything about them in the beginning and by the end of the game I want the Drake to beat the villain.

• Eyes

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Are there known xbox controller issues on No Man’s Sky ? Because mine is acting up something fierce in it. I’m talking character changing position suddenly or even a time when the dpad kept infinitely activating the sub menu.
As I only noticed that on this game I’m not too worried, but the novelty is wearing off fast.

Maybe uncheck steam controller management thingy ?
Last I played it, which admittedly was a while ago, I don't recall having any issues. I switched back and forth between kb/m for walking and controller for the ship. So it could well be Steam's controller configs doing something strange if you're confident it's not the controller itself.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
Eh, i'm not buying the Windows 11 propaganda. I'll stick with Windows 10 until the new year at least.
Also, your problem begins and ends with two words. Windows Store.
The only things i use from there are the Nvidia control panel and the Realtek Audio Panel because i have to.
i can see why you like windows 10, it's just that it's not TOO bad, it's alright if you can tackle the bugs that these pre-release versions have

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Highlight thread goes up in 1 week's time.
This'll be the last Highlight thread I work on.
If anyone wants to take over, go on ahead~

Its a shame that they aren't bring 1-3 out to PC as well. I remember 2 being pretty good?
Uncharted? The series is pretty bland outside of nice visuals. The set pieces and 'sensation' of the gunfights are nice but their core gameplay and progression is so bland and basic. The better parts of their gameplay sections tend to be so few and far between.

Lost Legacy is about all you need because at that point, Naughty Dog remembered how to make a video game.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I am convinced that 20 years from now most of our conversations with others will just be with bots.

Is it weird how it's hard to tell if when you see a post for something that you can't tell if it's a bot or a person. So people talking really weird and using short words and it just sounds like something that was machine translated(copy/ pasted)

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

...Huh. I have TiTS on GOG, but for some reason adding it as a shortcut to Steam put the Steam version in my librarby. Except not really, since I don't own it. It's just there like a game I refunded, even though I never did that for this.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I am convinced that 20 years from now most of our conversations with others will just be with bots.

Is it weird how it's hard to tell if when you see a post for something that you can't tell if it's a bot or a person. So people talking really weird and using short words and it just sounds like something that was machine translated(copy/ pasted)
here’s a business idea. Develop a bot that learns your online personality. Let’s say it monitors you for a few years and then you set it loose. That way you can be active on all the social media and forums. You can then go in and look at general metric of the the bot, like if it is really loved or hated somewhere and you can check out why and then adjust.

you’re welcome, when you become a millionaire I want my cut!

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
...Huh. I have TiTS on GOG, but for some reason adding it as a shortcut to Steam put the Steam version in my librarby. Except not really, since I don't own it. It's just there like a game I refunded, even though I never did that for this.
lol, did they leave Steam DLLs in the files or something?

• Eyes

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Does anyone has any recommendations for cross play games between Steam and Switch and suitable for a 10 years old?

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I'm surprised Endwalker and Wartales didn't make the list. I guess a lot of that top 10 is leftovers from the fall sale though.
Endwalker most likely due being a DLC.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Arc

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Try uploading a screenshot or making a new savegame and see whether it actually show up in your timeline for screenshots or the cloud storage for savegames. :flare_think:

• Eyes
Dec 5, 2018

IIRC the games have an unified exe and both the steam and GOG version have the Galaxy/steamworks dll (like with the cold steel games), but that should only matter if you own them in both services (where you would get cheevos in both places).

• Eyes

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Inscryption continues to rule. People, do not pass this one up. I am a card game liker, but anyone can enjoy this game. They give you some really powerful tools as the losses go on to make you really overpowered if you want to be.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have started Magic Arena Again after toying with it some years ago.
Look at cash shop.
What have I done, holy ! :fearful-face:

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Inscryption continues to rule. People, do not pass this one up. I am a card game liker, but anyone can enjoy this game. They give you some really powerful tools as the losses go on to make you really overpowered if you want to be.
I've heard nothing but praise for it!! Maybe at the Christmas sale if I have a few bucks left over...

I'm surprised Endwalker and Wartales didn't make the list. I guess a lot of that top 10 is leftovers from the fall sale though.
I think the vast majority of the FFXIV PC install base is not on Steam. The Steam version is actually a real pain in the butt to manage at times. And I think Square + Key sellers has done a lot to steer people away from the Steam version honestly.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Man I'm so mad, wanted to play FF14 but have been waiting for 2+ hours and will have to wait for another 2 in queue
same, tried fortnite also got put in a queue lol
I managed to get on ok Friday (30mins) and Saturday (around a minute, this was about 8 in the morning). But Sunday queued for an hour then got kicked due to the 2002 error then took another 2 hours after that.

But definitely enjoyed what I have played so far. I think it is more story heavy than previous expansions. But won’t spoil anything.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Like this?

Hmh maybe? How does one post in on a forum and counts down nicely?

Ah found the one I was thinking about!

BOOOOM!

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Is it recommended that one checks out the story campaign of Halo 5 before playing it? If not, I might give this one a try after finishing the MCC.

• Eyes

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
87 Metacritic for Infinite campaign.

Pretty good. Surprising they releasing it this month so it won't be nominated in game awards. This year isn't particularly strong either so it would have definitely gotten a nomination. And now it will get buried by all the big releases next year.

I wonder if they really wanted to avoid going head to head with COD and Battlefield. Big mistake since neither of those seem very good this year.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Does anyone has any recommendations for cross play games between Steam and Switch and suitable for a 10 years old?
Here's a tentative list
I have started Magic Arena Again after toying with it some years ago.
Look at cash shop.
What have I done, holy ! :fearful-face:
Play rogue-like deck builders instead.
Same sense of addiction, less money to pay~

Status
Not open for further replies.