Community MetaSteam | February 2021 - We Don't Do Regional Pricing in This House

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
LOL Stadia.

Just further shows that I would never want to work for Google united it's on youtube or search. Literally the core businesses. Hell even youtube seems like a mess these days. That company seems like it's a terrible place to work with just money being flushed down the drain left and right on wild ideas with no direction. What a waste of good technology.

Hopefully XCloud, GeForce Now and others will make this sort of thing usable behave the idea behind it is solid if you have the internet connection to support it (big if, I know). But I could never buy into a google backed product for reasons like this.

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and lashman
Dec 5, 2018
Just further shows that I would never want to work for Google united it's on youtube or search.
Back when I was at uni a teacher I had invited one of his friends (to give a lecture of his work experience) who years ago had gone to the US and the company where he worked ended up bought by google. The guy ended up working in the Youtube team, but he left a few years later. And the way he talked made it sound like you wouldn't really want to work there.

Reactions: QFNS

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy February❣

Google killing off Stadia studios is silly. Like their predictable moves for killing off products and services makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts, since why would anyone jump into a new offering by Google since it is likely to be axed if it is not incredibly popular and/or profitable?

• Hug
  • This!
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
When I was looking up stadia to see what the hell they even sell, anyway, google showed me Jason Schreier's tweet about the poor forgotten souls losing their jobs working for a dead end product. I mean, is there any labor issue at all he won't champ?

1. Devs go elsewhere in google and just keep on.
2 They easily get new jobs with Google on their resume.
3 They get laid off with a fat severance plus any savings from their generous salaries. Plus new job after a nice vacation.
4. They realize that tech jobs suck and start a goat farm with fat severance.

I mean really Schreier, the streets of San Francisco aren't about to get 150 new homeless people. The stadia thing might be silly, but it's ok when jobs end.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
God, how fucking stupid can you be lmao. Between this and letting the Xbox versions hold up the Steam release of the Yakuza Remastered Collection, it's really baffling how Sega treats Steam after all the success they've seen on the platform. Outside of Persona 5, my days of blindly supporting them day one are probably over. Not salty or anything but I'm kinda over spending money on games I'm not ready to play immediately. Still haven't grabbed the Yakuza collection and now I won't until I'm ready to play them, which might not be for a while. Hey, easier on my wallet. ¯\(ツ)

In other news, I have finished Cyberpunk. Game overall, while disappointing, was still absolutely fantastic. Although after doing all the endings, that final mission was kind of underwhelming no matter which path you choose.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
When I was looking up stadia to see what the hell they even sell, anyway, google showed me Jason Schreier's tweet about the poor forgotten souls losing their jobs working for a dead end product. I mean, is there any labor issue at all he won't champ?

1. Devs go elsewhere in google and just keep on.
2 They easily get new jobs with Google on their resume.
3 They get laid off with a fat severance plus any savings from their generous salaries. Plus new job after a nice vacation.
4. They realize that tech jobs suck and start a goat farm with fat severance.

I mean really Schreier, the streets of San Francisco aren't about to get 150 new homeless people. The stadia thing might be silly, but it's ok when jobs end.
I'm guessing that Jason is too use to talking to just game devs (sadly game devs are a lot more disposable than big tech companies that are not start ups).

Because yeah you can just say that you worked at Google for say a few years and a lot of people would be willing to give you a shot.

From what my CS instructors would tell us, is that if you got hired by Google, MS, or Apple you were set. It didn't matter if you left after just a few years because of how hard it is to get a job there since they only want the top of the top. Meaning that others places would be lucky to get scarps.

When it comes to the video game Industry I feel like it's really hard to get noticed and to stand out. There are thousands of games but yet there is maybe only a few dozens of well known people in the game industry, some of these people may be game designers, artist, composers or CEOs and stuff but I feel like you hardly hear about "programmers"

As an example there is that one new indie games that was announced. It says from former Sucker Punch and Bioware devs. But what does that really mean? It's just weird.

Reactions: Wildebeet

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
In better news, if you're from Chile or India and is interested in getting SW Jedi Fallen Order: EA lowered the game base price on Steam but didn't use the intended prices for those two countries:

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The funniest thing in the whole GME thing is that unless I've missed a thing, Gamestop has been mum the entire time.

But yeah, sheesh that ladder attack from hedge funds buying and selling from each other to crash the price artificially. They've been working outside the law since the beginning of this (or the past 50 years) but this is getting tiresome.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Bruhhh The stock market sure is something else. I remember my Econ teacher in Senior year telling us about the stock market and stuff for my stock project I choose EA and Take Two. had I pcurchased stock from them back in 2014 at around $20-30USD it would now be worth $200 USD a stock!!!!! So if you had 10 at $20USD back in 2014 it would now be 10 at $200 USD. So $200 is now $2,000!!!!!!

Funny enough one of my friends did invest a couple hundred into Gamestop all the way back in 2015

Feels bad man.

Reactions: Swenhir
Status
Not open for further replies.